Menu

Ignore this thread!

Paper gets lost in stacks.

Do you know how many times I have downloaded digital things and forgotten about them? I have folders and folders of digital things I will never use. And good luck finding the stuff you do want to use.

It goes both ways.

• Like 6

I signed up for a water aerobics class through the rec department. I just.... I hate swimming. But I hate exercising. I used to walk about our neighborhood, but I've heard more and more from various neighbors and people who even live on the other side of our subdivision how they keep seeing sketchy looking characters hanging around and they call the police on them, and now they only walk in pairs now, etc. So, I'm thinking, I won't be walking at dawn or dusk like I used to do, but quit because it is stinkin' boring!! So, I guess I'll give water aerobics a try.

• Like 6

COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

And this is the best Booya/h in the whole world because it is a COFFEE Booya/h!! (Imagine, if you will, yours truly planting a flag that says "Booya/h" in big, bold letters and a cup of COFFEE under it! on the Rocky summit of.... The tall craggy mountain in the middle of the ITT Island, where we have our lodge. This lodge is in the middle of a forest with hardwood floors and throw rugs and huge stone fireplaces and wrap around porches with comfy Adirondack chairs. This is what I'm talking about.) (I think my imagination is getting the better of me)

This needs to be documented, Renai. The ITT flag is a Booya/h and a cup of coffee.

Naturally.

• Like 7

Do you know how many times I have downloaded digital things and forgotten about them? I have folders and folders of digital things I will never use. And good luck finding the stuff you do want to use.

It goes both ways.

I know this. I prefer my hardcopy stacks. I can find them better in my mind palace.

• Like 4

I love water aerobics! Haven't done it in a decade, but I LOVE exercising without feeling sweaty.

I hope it works out all right. I hate the idea of going out in the evening, even if it is only for an hour and twice a week, but I need to start getting serious about my health. And I figure, if I'm paying for it, and it probably won't be boring, then I will likely go.
  • Like 2

COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

And this is the best Booya/h in the whole world because it is a COFFEE Booya/h!! (Imagine, if you will, yours truly planting a flag that says "Booya/h" in big, bold letters and a cup of COFFEE under it! on the Rocky summit of.... The tall craggy mountain in the middle of the ITT Island, where we have our lodge. This lodge is in the middle of a forest with hardwood floors and throw rugs and huge stone fireplaces and wrap around porches with comfy Adirondack chairs. This is what I'm talking about.) (I think my imagination is getting the better of me)

And a porch swing long enough to lie down on.  I NEED a porch swing!

• Like 4

I know this. I prefer my hardcopy stacks. I can find them better in my mind palace.

Me, too. I thought you were saying paper was bad b/c of the stacks.

ETA: I prefer hard copy on some things, like flash cards. And books. But I love my spreadsheets. I'm all over the place. It depends what it is. Clear as mud.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 7

ETA: I prefer hard copy on some things, like flash cards. And books. But I love my spreadsheets. I'm all over the place. It depends what it is. Clear as mud.

We are totally on the same page.

• Like 2

I totally get it.

• Like 1

Slache, I'm enjoying your math thread.  Have you kept a tally of any kind?  Seems like a slew of Horizons folks the last couple days.  I can't post because I haven't stuck with anything.   :laugh:   (Although I suppose CLE is the one I was most consistent with - and likely to go back to for youngest in the fall.)  

• Like 4

Today will be a boring day at work. Most of the kids will be on a field trip, and I'm with the group that stays behind with the kids that can't go. I'm hoping there's enough coverage so I can go to the meeting the state is holding on bilingual education. The sneaky jerks are trying to change things, so of course they hold information meetings when the ones who care are in the classroom. Anyway, that meeting would take two hours, so make my day shorter.

• Like 7

And cozy semi-framed hammock chairs. With drink holders.

At our Renaissance Festival they call these "Sky Chairs".  My favorite ride at our Ren Fest is a merry-go-round of sky chairs.  So relaxing!

• Like 5

We are totally on the same page.

I totally get it.

Yup yup yup!  I am a hardcopy gal, but I have some things digitally, and spreadsheets are the bomb!

• Like 3

rnc-002-1.jpg

That's one of the sitting-and-visting porch swings to be installed on our island.  Angle of seat easily adjustable, great support, cute rusticity.

• Like 4

Or maybe this one...

pgf-006-1.jpg

Here we go!  Long enough to lay down on, adjustable "seat" angle, can easily accommodate even more cushions for a truly comfy swing bed.  Easily seats 3 when sitting and visiting.

• Like 1

Today will be a boring day at work. Most of the kids will be on a field trip, and I'm with the group that stays behind with the kids that can't go. I'm hoping there's enough coverage so I can go to the meeting the state is holding on bilingual education. The sneaky jerks are trying to change things, so of course they hold information meetings when the ones who care are in the classroom. Anyway, that meeting would take two hours, so make my day shorter.

I hope you get to go!

• Like 1

Some mornings I'm pretty sure I should just stay in bed. Sadly, I can't.  :zombie: Hopefully caffeine will do some good.

:grouphug:   Maybe nap later?

The meteorologists are predicting TWO probabilities of storms hitting our area tomorrow, roughly 12 hours apart.  Are you due for some more nasty weather?  Much of what comes through here seems to also extend up to where you are.

• Like 2

The meteorologists are predicting TWO probabilities of storms hitting our area tomorrow, roughly 12 hours apart.  Are you due for some more nasty weather?  Much of what comes through here seems to also extend up to where you are.

I believe so. I have to work for a few days and I do believe I'll be driving in the rain for most of it. 

How the Hades it only Tuesday! :svengo:

Slache, I'm enjoying your math thread.  Have you kept a tally of any kind?  Seems like a slew of Horizons folks the last couple days.  I can't post because I haven't stuck with anything.   :laugh:   (Although I suppose CLE is the one I was most consistent with - and likely to go back to for youngest in the fall.)

I contemplated a pole but I don't really care about the outcome. I'm more interested in the why. I don't want to hear about what makes a good math program from someone who's used it for 6 months.  

I always wonder what those things mean. Is Horizons really that great, or does it just appeal to the kind of parents who hate switching and will make things work or what? Or maybe that's me erecting a psychological defense against feeling like now I ought to check it out. ;)

No! Don't do it!
  • Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Aaack!! It's another COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ Booya/h!! Although this one is a "COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ In the morning with the sliding glass door open, listening to the birds twittering and singing, with the occasional song of the mourning dove Booya/h!"

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 8

I always wonder what those things mean. Is Horizons really that great, or does it just appeal to the kind of parents who hate switching and will make things work or what? Or maybe that's me erecting a psychological defense against feeling like now I ought to check it out. ;)

Let me help your psychological defense.  Pros (for some kids) would be the color, the occasional "puzzle" type problems.  Cons would be (trying to say this succinctly), too many of the same type of problem in the review section which really begins to feel tedious, monotonous (and at the pre-algebra level we felt other types might not get hit again soon enough resulting in the need for re-teaching when we saw them again.)  (Contrasted with CLE where there's more variety, but fewer of each, in the review section.)

Going along with your theory about people who will make things work....  Maybe successful horizons teachers are ones who would have been successful with just about any traditional math text; maybe they have good teaching instincts and good math teaching instincts.  I like CLE when I'm feeling lazy because all the teaching is right there in the worktext - I don't have to think a whole lot to give a decent presentation.  On the other hand, I've seen people here say that R&S (English or Math) taught them how to teach because of the detailed lesson instructions in the TMs.  This is why I always say the program has to be as good a fit for the Mom teaching it as for the child learning it. 

just my .02.

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Aaack!! It's another COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ Booya/h!! Although this one is a "COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ In the morning with the sliding glass door open, listening to the birds twittering and singing, with the occasional song of the mourning dove Booya/h!"

that is the very best kind!   :001_tt1:

• Like 2

Good morning!

Lynn is smart! (I've never even seen Horizons, but I am one of those "til death do us part" teachers. That being said, there are several curriculums that I have put out of their misery over the years. It is really hard to know what absolutely will not work until you've tried a few. I think I was fairly lucky at the beginning - there were fewer choices.)

We are expecting rain Thursday and Friday, but nothing exciting.

It's after 9:00 and I am just now getting to my coffee. :willy_nilly:

• Like 4

I put dd (2nd grade this year) through Horizons.  We moved her to CLE.  I like CLE better, fwiw.

• Like 1