Menu

Ignore this thread!

Do pregnant birds get fat? There was the fattest bird I have ever seen on my deck. It wasn't a big bird - I'd say it was a wren from it's little tipped up tail. But it was as round as a tennis ball. I was wondering if it was about to lay an egg.

I love wrens. We don't have wrens where we live.
  • Like 3

Can I come??

We didn't get to the outside portion. We were at the wastewater treatment facility and they talked about how everything was treated. No extra chemicals, no chlorine (uv lights). The water is released and several habitats are thriving. A lot of the water is also used to water parks around here. The second part of the trip was to go out and study the habitats, but started snowing too hard.

• Like 3

(Educational Post warning - sorry Junie, task avoidance is HIGH here!)

So (required sentence starter for educational posts), I was looking at Guest Hollow Biology again. It uses an edited version of the CK-12 textbook. It does have an accompanying workbook with it that looks pretty good (T/F, multiple choice, vocab, compare/contrast questions, etc.) There are no tests unless I want to create them (don't wanna). I sort of like that. And since she'll have an outside grade for labs, we have a little additional accountability for doing that. So, thoughts? What if her only output was the workbook and the lab class with its requirements, but no tests? Here's a link to the Guest Hollow page that shows what she did to give her own ds a grade. Not sure I would give any additional assignments that she mentions. http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/biology/biology_grades.html

(Edited to rescue a kitteh. )

Grades can be received without a single test.

• Like 1

We didn't get to the outside portion. We were at the wastewater treatment facility and they talked about how everything was treated. No extra chemicals, no chlorine (uv lights). The water is released and several habitats are thriving. A lot of the water is also used to water parks around here. The second part of the trip was to go out and study the habitats, but started snowing too hard.

Snow?  Now?  :svengo:

• Like 2

I must be PMSing. I watched a child with Down Syndrome run a race and now I'm crying.

Interesting story. I ran into a very challenged kid from my school at the grocery store. We immediately started doing our old routine of making faces, waving hands and incorrectly quoting movies. He was so exited to see me. :001_wub: Matt commented that he was surprised at the situation and long story short he's never met someone like that and doesn't know what to do with them. He went to private school, I went to public. I thought it was so wierd. Special ed kids were such a normal part of my everyday routine, I couldn't imagine not knowing them.

• Like 2

Speaking of rollercoasters, dd18's astronomically expensive most favoritist university (which we wrote off early on except for the weekly calls dh has been making to the admissions advisor in the past 2 months), has recently offered her a very very generous boost in grant aid. With that additional money and the student loans dd has expressed the willingness to take on, I think we may have a decision.

Susan!  That's wonderful news!!!!!  I'm so thrilled for her!   :party:  :party:  :party:

• Like 1

I need to do something different with my hair. I hate it. Is there a place on-line where I can download a picture of myself and try different hairstyles on? I need that. I want something shorter, but not old-ladyish.

I did that last summer and I'm still growing it back out.  I'm growing out because I want to be able to pull it back this summer.  And because maybe I'm too old to show off my neck.  (which reminds me of talking about all this with Tex.)

SNOW!!!???  Glad we didn't come with you.   :D

Grades can be received without a single test.

Yes!  That's what I'm thinking too,  And what good is a test if we're just cramming for it and getting it done and moving on.  I think the workbook pages might be more meaningful as far as processing what's important.  

I must be PMSing. I watched a child with Down Syndrome run a race and now I'm crying.

Interesting story. I ran into a very challenged kid from my school at the grocery store. We immediately started doing our old routine of making faces, waving hands and incorrectly quoting movies. He was so exited to see me. :001_wub: Matt commented that he was surprised at the situation and long story short he's never met someone like that and doesn't know what to do with them. He went to private school, I went to public. I thought it was so wierd. Special ed kids were such a normal part of my everyday routine, I couldn't imagine not knowing them.

I went to public, but I don't know how to talk to anyone - special ed or otherwise.   :laugh:   

I tried that but then I got sucked in and there's no escape now...😉

Bwahahahaha.   :zombiechase:

I have smoothie fatigue syndrome. Ds wants to make them every day so he can push the button on the blender. But he doesn't really want to drink them. So I do. And it's too cold for that!i always freeze my butt off in the spring bc I think, oh we don't need to keep the heater on now when it's nice in the afternoons.

Same here - it's colder in my house than outside.  But tomorrow will be in the 80s and then we'll be debating about needing the AC.  

• Like 1

Speaking of rollercoasters, dd18's astronomically expensive most favoritist university (which we wrote off early on except for the weekly calls dh has been making to the admissions advisor in the past 2 months), has recently offered her a very very generous boost in grant aid. With that additional money and the student loans dd has expressed the willingness to take on, I think we may have a decision.

:hurray:  :hurray:  YAY!!  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

We Costcoed. I swear, I hate that place. Too many people. But, I go there because I can buy 2 gallons of milk for a little more than the price of 1 gallon at The Walmart. And 5 lbs. of bread flour at the Walmart is about $4-5, and I can get 50 lbs. at Costco for $10.49. Lunch meat - 3 packages for $9.99 at Costco. Same stuff at The Walmart is $4.99 per pack. And gas is $0.25/gallon cheaper.

• Like 1

We Costcoed. I swear, I hate that place. Too many people. But, I go there because I can buy 2 gallons of milk for a little more than the price of 1 gallon at The Walmart. And 5 lbs. of bread flour at the Walmart is about $4-5, and I can get 50 lbs. at Costco for $10.49. Lunch meat - 3 packages for $9.99 at Costco. Same stuff at The Walmart is $4.99 per pack. And gas is $0.25/gallon cheaper.

I'm sorry.

I <3 Costco.

I'm sorry.

We don't have a Costco here so I cannot relate.

• Like 2

We went to the lake today. We got rained on, but not much. The boys paddled and I shored and edited. Because they wanted to finish school today, the boys did all of the remaining things today. So officially, we are on our two week break. :party:

• Like 8

We went to the lake today. We got rained on, but not much. The boys paddled and I shored and edited. Because they wanted to finish school today, the boys did all of the remaining things today. So officially, we are on our two week break. :party:

That sounds like a wonderful day!! Happy Break!!
  • Like 3

:svengo:

How'd he manage that?

Good test scores, I suppose.  I made a spreadsheet, filled in some data, and eliminated some schools.  Then I filled in some more data, and eliminated more schools.  I've got the number down to 21 at the moment.   :hurray:

ETA:  I got it down to 13.  I think that's as much as I can purge for now.   :smash:

Edited by Junie
  • Like 5

We survived choir dress rehearsal. Tomorrow morning, dd14 needs to record her audition piece and scale, then all 4 of the youngers go to scholarship auditions while dd18 goes to theatre rehearsal. If all goes according to plan, everyone will be at the concert hall at 1:00 in appropriate concert clothing, having eaten a non-messy snack, and ready for the spring choir concert. Deep breath. Time to make a list.

• Like 6

One day of driving down.  One more (very long one) to go.....

:auto:

(Except what I really need is a Diaper-and-Chickie-Nugget-Scented-Van emoticon.  With an overstuffed cargo area, a roof bag, 7 of 8 seats filled, and luggage+coolers taking up all the legroom, including part of the driver's leg space.  And half-a-dozen wet swimsuits laid out on top of everything, in some ill-conceived hope that they might actually dry.)

• Like 9

One day of driving down.  One more (very long one) to go.....

:auto:

(Except what I really need is a Diaper-and-Chickie-Nugget-Scented-Van emoticon.  With an overstuffed cargo area, a roof bag, 7 of 8 seats filled, and luggage+coolers taking up all the legroom, including part of the driver's leg space.  And half-a-dozen wet swimsuits laid out on top of everything, in some ill-conceived hope that they might actually dry.)

Um.  Sounds like fun?

• Like 3

I enjoy having 3 friends and seeing them each about once every 1-6 months for 4 hours. I desperately love 2 women and could spend (have spent) hours several times a week with them, but one moved to Brazil and the other moved to New York. It was very selfish of them.

I hate book jackets.

• Like 7

Good Saturday Morning!

Someone should make coffee!

The girls and I are going to a bridal shower later.  Actually, I'm a partial host, but at least it's not at my house.  I know it will be fine; the bride is a lovely person; lots of family I love, etc.  But man, my introverted self just cringes when I see it on the calendar for today.  

• Like 6

Don't take risks on treacherous roads! And for heaven's sake, don't swim in the sea, because Renai, you don't live by the sea. So if you think you are swimming in the sea, it means your brain has been addled through hypothermia and the ENB will have to come rescue you from the snowbank. Stay in your warm blankets!

• Like 8

Junie, have you read The Obesity Code by Jason Fung? I found it very informative, especially about how insulin works and how insulin resistance develops. He has a blog that has the information on it as well, but it's not organized nicely like the book. ;) https://intensivedietarymanagement.com

Anyway, you might or might not find it helpful, so feel free to ignore. Or not. Not trying to be bossy. :D

• Like 3

Good morning!

Coffee ☕☕☕

We are having a flash flood. Seriously. We are safe where we are, but many areas are flooded. It has rained almost 4 inches since midnight. It is supposed to quit this afternoon.

Today is prom. Glad it is almost over.

Have a fabulous day.

• Like 6

How mentally unhealthy is it that I don't know if I want to have IRL friends at this season of my life? I went out with a group tonight, known them for years but still felt nauseous for a couple hours beforehand. They are good kind women but I always feel a little on the outskirts bc I'm not involved in all the things. We were all giving updates and I just can't bear my heart to thst many people at once so mine was ridiculously short. It's always like this so I wonder how well they even know me after all these years. I mostly enjoyed being there but felt really depressed on the way home. It just does not seem worth it. Although I did get to hold a baby, that was the highlight of my day.

All you need is the ITT ENB. :D

• Like 6

Don't take risks on treacherous roads! And for heaven's sake, don't swim in the sea, because Renai, you don't live by the sea. So if you think you are swimming in the sea, it means your brain has been addled through hypothermia and the ENB will have to come rescue you from the snowbank. Stay in your warm blankets!

:lol:

• Like 2

There's this poor hummingbird that came out early this year. He's now sitting on our clothesline under the porch eaves, freezing. There is snow falling just out of his reach. Poor thing. I don't think he's going to survive the cold. He did sit close to the hummingbird feeder, but it's still cold. There's not much protection there, just right above him.

• Like 3