Menu

Ignore this thread!

The one Slash is looking at is at Schola Classical Tutorials, sold through Roman Roads.  The discussions are led by Mr. Callihan ( :001_wub: ), but the grading and transcript prep is on the parent.  The Roman Roads class is more complete and adds in more coaching and grading.  I have started on the DVDs, BTW, and they are FABULOUS.

ALL COURSE OPTIONS INCLUDE:
– Weekly Instruction. 1 school year of live, weekly instruction via video classroom.

– Grading and Report Card. 4 end-of-quarter exams graded for the student with comments, and end-of-year report card.

– Writing Service. Responsive essays based on the reading or lectures throughout the year (minimum of 4), graded with comments and coaching in essay writing.

Old Western Culture both appeals to me and feels burdensome at the same time.  I want Wes Callahan videos - but I want fewer of them.  And I want fewer great works and more history and more writing instruction.

But, my biggest concern would be the writing instruction - how much actual instruction is there and are 4 writing assignments enough for me to feel good about an English credit?  Even if you roll the literature into a total English credit, I'm not sure I feel good about only 4 writing assignments.  (Also I'm thinking "responsive essay" doesn't sound like a "full-blown" essay which makes 4 of them seem even lighter.)  In short, (I keep repeating myself because I'm not saying it very well), it's literature heavy and writing light, I guess?

• Like 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Oh and that website is...www.carcomplaints.com  

I *think* the new gold standard in minivans would be the Nissan.  Both Honda and Toyota have been tarnished a bit as of late.  I know my bestie just bought a used Honda Odyssey and they've had some problems with it...but I think it's mostly normal wear and tear.  

We gave up on the minivan after our disastrous experience with the Grand Caravan.  We bought a 2006 Chevrolet Suburban last year...with 157k miles on it.  I was so opposed but...at the end of the day, the only SUV that was large enough to fit our four kids (all still in full harness carseats at the time...no way we were getting three Britax Frontiers in a row) was to go with a full-size SUV and they are expensive as all get out.  We looked at smaller SUVs that had the third row...but they had literally no trunk space.  We need trunk space.  So we found this 2006 and paid $6500k for it.  

I was actually surprised to find out that the Suburban seems to have less trunk space than the minivan did.  Mostly because the minivan had a very deep trunk cargo area.  Where the Suburban's cargo area is more shallow.  It's longer, front to back...but not as deep.  Can't stack as much.  Add in the stow-n-go we had in the minivan, and I'm pretty sure we lost cargo space.  

We just put almost a grand into the Suburban, too.  Because it needed some kind of axle work and it had some kind of water pump leak.

Pretty sure we are vehicle cursed.  

Edited by Sweetpea3829
  • Like 2

Old Western Culture both appeals to me and feels burdensome at the same time. I want Wes Callahan videos - but I want fewer of them. And I want fewer great works and more history and more writing instruction.

But, my biggest concern would be the writing instruction - how much actual instruction is there and are 4 writing assignments enough for me to feel good about an English credit? Even if you roll the literature into a total English credit, I'm not sure I feel good about only 4 writing assignments. (Also I'm thinking "responsive essay" doesn't sound like a "full-blown" essay which makes 4 of them seem even lighter.) In short, (I keep repeating myself because I'm not saying it very well), it's literature heavy and writing light, I guess?

Bingo. What she said.
  • Like 2

I think I could sell my van for a solid $4,000 tomorrow with no problem. I sold my Taurus and my Nissan van for fair prices. Both had right at 100,000 miles on them. They were well cared for and clean. Same can be said for my Odyssey. It has a leather interior, lots of bells and whistles, auto sunroof, DVD player. New air conditioning and new tires.

As I understand, Nissans are no longer foreign made. I did not like our Nissan van. I would not own a minivan that was high mileage that was not a Honda or a Toyota.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 2

Most of the cars we buy have over 100K miles, but we also pay less than $5K for them. The exception was our 12-passenger, which only had about 10K mi. and cost $13K.

I like mine at $10,000 with less than 50,000 miles. I've never paid for repairs.

I may be mistaken but...I believe the Chrysler T&C had the SAME issues the Grand did.  Poorly designed brakes, poorly designed tranny.  And they burn oil something fierce.  My dad (a former mechanic) bought a brand new one in 2010 and got rid of it two years later.  Chrysler/Dodge told him it was normal to have to put a quart of oil in every two weeks.  

We keep telling ourselves this.  But it never works out that way.  Honestly...at this point, now that DH is working so close to home, I'm seriously tempted to lease.  We can never save enough money to buy a decent-enough vehicle outright...always needing to finance a couple of thousand (never much...but enough to have a payment, kwim).  Then...we end up needing to dump money into it because...older vehicle.  Between the repair costs we inevitably have to dump into these older vehicles, plus the monthly car payment...I am beginning to question whether I'd do better on a lease.  

Brand new car...under warranty....no repair headaches.  

I wouldn't do it unless I was positive we'd come out ahead of the game....and so far, my research has been confusing at best.  

I'm pretty sold on an Odyssey, unless I can find a Sienna with an amazing deal. Normally I buy cars 2-3 years old with less than 50,000 miles. I made an exception with our current car because it's a Toyota with 45,000 miles (I think) and cost so little because it's a 2006. It's been a great car. I'm completely antileasing. If you have the money to lease you have the money to get a 2 year old car and you won't be so restricted.

Old Western Culture both appeals to me and feels burdensome at the same time.  I want Wes Callahan videos - but I want fewer of them.  And I want fewer great works and more history and more writing instruction.

But, my biggest concern would be the writing instruction - how much actual instruction is there and are 4 writing assignments enough for me to feel good about an English credit?  Even if you roll the literature into a total English credit, I'm not sure I feel good about only 4 writing assignments.  (Also I'm thinking "responsive essay" doesn't sound like a "full-blown" essay which makes 4 of them seem even lighter.)  In short, (I keep repeating myself because I'm not saying it very well), it's literature heavy and writing light, I guess?

I want all 4 years for myself. I can see myself using it with my kids, but solely as a literature course and I'd pick and choose what I want. I thought that's what JJM was doing because I wasn't paying enough attention.

• Like 1

See, I'm super cool with going light on the writing.  DD is a willing and natural writer.  It doesn't take endless exercises to teach her a new skill; that just makes her nuts.  For example, if we go with the "lite" version, writing will likely consist of 2 Bravewriter classes for the year.  That's it.  She really doesn't need much.  When the time comes for a MLA research paper, that will also be outsourced to Brave Writer and Susanne Barrett.  They love each other, totally get each other, and it'll be one and done.  Seriously.

The history concerns me more, honestly.  If we do this at home (or even if she does the class probably), I'll add in Spielvogel or something.

• Like 1

No. It's rare. Don't cheapen my Spielvogel ownership by making it seem commonplace.

:laugh: Sorry about that, Tex, but I think on a classical education board there might be a few other owners!

(Actually, this made me run to my history section to count.  Four, yep four, Spielvogel tomes.  I think I have a book addiction!)

• Like 1

:laugh: Sorry about that, Tex, but I think on a classical education board there might be a few other owners!

(Actually, this made me run to my history section to count. Four, yep four, Spielvogel tomes. I think I have a book addiction!)

Now who's braggy???
  • Like 3

I want all 4 years for myself. I can see myself using it with my kids, but solely as a literature course and I'd pick and choose what I want. I thought that's what JJM was doing because I wasn't paying enough attention.

I got the DVDs for just this reason.  But they are so, so awesome that I am trying to convince the short person to do this my way.  (She wanted Omnibus.  I bought a used version, though, and I'm pretty meh about it, TBH.)

This isn't helping.

TEX! Which one(s) do I buy?

It's going to depend on what you want it for, silly!  (Also, don't just buy, Grasshopper.  Once you have your mind fixed on a target, you must stalk the book.  Stalk the book all over the interwebs until you find it very, very cheap. smiley-says-yes-emoticon.gif)

• Like 3

I got the DVDs for just this reason.  But they are so, so awesome that I am trying to convince the short person to do this my way.  (She wanted Omnibus.  I bought a used version, though, and I'm pretty meh about it, TBH.)

Yeah, I keep hearing this. Honestly I'll probably get Windows To The World, the new Well Educated Mind and be done until the kids are older. It's not like I'll finish TWEM in a year. Or 4.

It's going to depend on what you want it for, silly!  (Also, don't just buy, Grasshopper.  Once you have your mind fixed on a target, you must stalk the book.  Stalk the book all over the interwebs until you find it very, very cheap. smiley-says-yes-emoticon.gif)

I just need to pin it for now. I'm thinking World History: The Human Odyssey.

OK.  I need help with this Spielvogel thing.  I've never heard of it before, but I have a history lover who will be graduating before Slache's baby is eating Cheerios.  (Which means I need help NOW. :toetap05: )

Does it matter which edition?  I mean, obviously newer is better, but not $100 better, right?

I also saw study guides and whatnot.

Can I just have him read the book and write a couple of reports and call it a credit of history?  Or a half credit?  (By the end of this semester he'll have 3 credits of history, 1/2 credit of economics, 1/2 credit of government, and 1/2 credit of political science.  He doesn't need the credit, but if he earns it I want to give it to him.)  History is his strength.

Truthfully, he would probably want to read it just for fun.

• Like 3

Do de do de do de do. Mama can't sleep but is too stupid to do anything useful because of anti nausea pills. Do de do de do de do. My smallest human appears dissatisfied with his current living quarters. Imma go watch cats be funny on YouTube.

• Like 4

Good Tuesday Morning!  We have to do real school today, and I may have forgotten how.  I'm not sure what we're doing for morning time.  :ohmy:

My Spielvogel is Western Civilization A Brief History Comprehensive Volume second edition.  When 12yo dd needed info about things that changed as a result of the Renaissance it was a very handy resource.  It gives that bigger picture analysis that stories for younger children may not do. 

• Like 6

Another day...more packing.  

My boys do not have enough jeans for this trip.  Oh....they have TONS of jeans.  Tons.  But 85% of them have holes in the knees.  Because boys.  I guess I didn't realize just how many "outside play" jeans the boys had.  

I think mostly their clothes are pretty much set.  Now to turn my attention on packing for J and I.  

Never before has Lynn's profile quote, "It's exhausting being the frontal lobe for the entire family" been more relevant.  

Happy schooling day!  

• Like 7

Good Morning! I have a reprieve from Brain Dead Tuesday because my co-op classes were not invited to the Big Party.

I have an old Spielvogel 2-volume set.

#justsayin

Happy packing, Sweetpea! Rounding up appropriate clothes for the kids can be a terrifying job. :D

I like your song, Junie. Thanks for going to bat for us!

• Like 5

Good morning!

Braindead Tuesday for Susan. How many left, 2 or 3?

It's a normal day here. Is there such a thing as a normal day? No, not really. ;) But there are no appointments. Oh, no! I spoke too soon. I think today maybe homeschool day at the library. I have to check into that.

Well, I had better get started. I've gotten behind already this morning because ds20 wanted to tell me about his night at work. He has went to bed now.

I hope everyone has a happy day. :)

• Like 3

Good Morning! I have a reprieve from Brain Dead Tuesday because my co-op classes were not invited to the Big Party.

I have an old Spielvogel 2-volume set.

#justsayin

Happy packing, Sweetpea! Rounding up appropriate clothes for the kids can be a terrifying job. :D

I like your song, Junie. Thanks for going to bat for us!

Congrats on skipping a Brain Dead Tuesday, but are you saying they're having a Big Party and they didn't invite everyone?  That's wack-a-doo! 

(By the way, I'm outta likes.  I like Junie's song and Sweetpea's packing woes, and 20yo ds's who like to tell about their night at work and everything else inbetween!) 

• Like 3

Congrats on skipping a Brain Dead Tuesday, but are you saying they're having a Big Party and they didn't invite everyone? That's wack-a-doo!

Well, there is this big homeschool event every year that we usually participate in, but this year the co-op director waited until the very last minute to ask if we wanted to do something for the program, but it has to be very short and not actually for the program. It was really a passive-aggressive non-invitation. Which I am getting a lot of this year.

(Only 4 more weeks and then we are rid of her.)

• Like 4

I'm not doing school today. So there. (Planned day off for other things that need doing)

The minivan talk makes me chuckle. That is one vehicle that I have never had the slightest interest in owning. I drive a truck, y'all. Complete with a camper shell. And it's dirty from taking it across the low-water crossing and then covering it with pine pollen.

I do not own Spielvogel. Despite detesting history and the teaching of it, I do try to keep my book count down to a reasonable number of various history resources. History is the bane of my teaching life. I don't like the subject. I don't like reading history books. I hate trying to link everything and it's cousin to what happened when.

There you are. And I don't apologize for hating history. Everything else I teach, I enjoy.

ETA: I say "despite" because I've found that the less I like something, the more I accumulate resources so that I don't have to learn anything about it. It never works, of course. But I persist in my ridiculousness.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 6

I'm not doing school today. So there. (Planned day off for other things that need doing)

The minivan talk makes me chuckle. That is one vehicle that I have never had the slightest interest in owning. I drive a truck, y'all. Complete with a camper shell. And it's dirty from taking it across the low-water crossing and then covering it with pine pollen.

I do not own Spielvogel. Despite detesting history and the teaching of it, I do try to keep my book count down to a reasonable number of various history resources. History is the bane of my teaching life. I don't like the subject. I don't like reading history books. I hate trying to link everything and it's cousin to what happened when.

There you are. And I don't apologize for hating history. Everything else I teach, I enjoy.

ETA: I say "despite" because I've found that the less I like something, the more I accumulate resources so that I don't have to learn anything about it. It never works, of course. But I persist in my ridiculousness.

I actually detest teaching and studying about history, too.  Except for local history.  If I can see it...it's cool.  

I've grown to appreciate history more since I started homeschooling and using SoTW.  

But still...math and science will always be my favs to teach.  I'm not a "hands-on" kind of mom, but I just love me a good science demonstration./experiment/project.  

• Like 2

I have Spielvogel too. I think it's this combined volume I own: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Civilization-Combined-Available-CengageNOW/dp/0534646026/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1459863133&sr=8-11&keywords=spielvogel which starts at $2 plus shipping.  

Back in ye olden days, when Greenleaf Press was popular and Tapestry of Grace was newish, lots of people used Spielvogel for high school history. I bought it then, to go with my Tapestry of Grace schedule.

I also own the Human Record, which has a lot more primary sources included, and is a bit less dry.

• Like 6

:lol:

Junie's spam song is awesome.

I hear you on the holes, Sweetpea. It makes me crazy. And my guys can't seem to discern which pants to wear for which environment. No, child, we do not wear holey jeans when we go to dinner with grandma:-( And, we don't wear good jeans when you and your buds are in the woods sawing down trees. Duh.

Speaking of such, they took down a big one last week. Worked on it for a couple of hours. Then, I heard a crash and chorus of man cheers coming from the woods. It was their equivalent of discovering fire. I was just glad the tree didn't fall on any of them :D

• Like 8

Only really special people have it. Like you, and JJM, and me:-)

I really need to finish ketching up before I comment, lol.

I have the combined volume and will be using it with TOG. Although, y'all have reminded me that I need to look into the other volumes. They were on my list.

I think the used booksellers will be wondering at the glut of online traffic their Spielvogel volumes are receiving:-)

• Like 3

Good morning, all!

We're slogging our way to the end here.  English is put to the side until Hamlet class in May.  US History was finished yesterday.  (Yay!)  We're down to 2 chapters and a final in science (we might double up to try to finish before we leave on May 6th.)  Latin must march on according to a set schedule, but it will finish right before we leave.  We're on the fence about taking the final before or after the trip (see science above.)  Math just marches on.

Hmph.  Just realized how annoying and time consuming this whole homeschooling thing is.  It's interrupting my computer time.

• Like 5

Good morning, all!

We're slogging our way to the end here. English is put to the side until Hamlet class in May. US History was finished yesterday. (Yay!) We're down to 2 chapters and a final in science (we might double up to try to finish before we leave on May 6th.) Latin must march on according to a set schedule, but it will finish right before we leave. We're on the fence about taking the final before or after the trip (see science above.) Math just marches on.

Hmph. Just realized how annoying and time consuming this whole homeschooling thing is. It's interrupting my computer time.

This is why I go on hiatus from time to time. I start to feel this way fer reals. Like, "get away, kiddos, I just need to finish reading about Tex's odd father, or Slache's baby, or Renai's project." Apparently, I can be more childish than I thought:-)

You are doing far better than I in the scheduling department. We are slightly ahead in math, behind where I wanted to be in ToG, slightly behind in science, on track with writing, Bible, and logic. Spelling is done for the year :lol: That whole flu thing really threw me off. Now, I feel like we are going into the home stretch at a disadvantage.

• Like 4

:lol:

Junie's spam song is awesome.

I hear you on the holes, Sweetpea. It makes me crazy. And my guys can't seem to discern which pants to wear for which environment. No, child, we do not wear holey jeans when we go to dinner with grandma:-( And, we don't wear good jeans when you and your buds are in the woods sawing down trees. Duh.

Speaking of such, they took down a big one last week. Worked on it for a couple of hours. Then, I heard a crash and chorus of man cheers coming from the woods. It was their equivalent of discovering fire. I was just glad the tree didn't fall on any of them :D

LOL, mine are forbidden from cutting down any trees.  I don't know if you saw the picture I posted last week...of my 9 yr old waaaaaaay up high in a tree on our property.

Boys.  

• Like 3

Hi.  I have Spielvogel.  We used it with one child.  I'm not sure if I'll use it with the other one since . . . different child, different learning style. 

I am up for the day.  Today I deliver dd to academic testing.  Then I go on to the doctor.  And on that note, I'd better get up off of that thang so that I am actually wearing clothes when I leave the house. 

• Like 9

This is why I go on hiatus from time to time. I start to feel this way fer reals. Like, "get away, kiddos, I just need to finish reading about Tex's odd father, or Slache's baby, or Renai's project." Apparently, I can be more childish than I thought:-)

You are doing far better than I in the scheduling department. We are slightly ahead in math, behind where I wanted to be in ToG, slightly behind in science, on track with writing, Bible, and logic. Spelling is done for the year :lol: That whole flu thing really threw me off. Now, I feel like we are going into the home stretch at a disadvantage.

Well, I left off "Philosophy for Kids" which got shelved when the Mathcounts thing started in late January.  If it's not on the schedule, it's not a fail, right?  :scared:

• Like 4

A girl from church and her friend went missing yesterday.  She was gone all night, and was just found and returned to her family. I am emotionally done in for today.  PTL she is home.

:grouphug:

ETA:  It's an empathy booyah.  :(

Edited by Junie
  • Like 7

LOL, mine are forbidden from cutting down any trees. I don't know if you saw the picture I posted last week...of my 9 yr old waaaaaaay up high in a tree on our property.

Boys.

Yup;-)

It was a dead tree. But it was really tall. We have really monstrous trees in our yard. Mine are 13 and 11 and they have a really responsible 15 yo friend, so I give them a little more leeway than I might ordinarily. And I pray a lot, lol.

• Like 3

That pretty much sums it up for me, too.

I thought I had everything planned and bought and now I just look at my stack of books on the sofa table and think, "I hate BJU Grammar, why did I buy it? I really want to go back to Rod and Staff. And history.... I just don't know. I'm freaking out"

Doesn't everyone?

No, I've never heard of that Glockenspiel thing before. But it looks and sounds intriguing......

Three pages of spam on the board, three pages of spam

Take one down, ban the spam clown,

Two pages of spam on the board

Very creative, Junie, I think you may have a future in writing lyrics for spam!

Good Tuesday Morning! We have to do real school today, and I may have forgotten how. I'm not sure what we're doing for morning time. :ohmy:

My Spielvogel is Western Civilization A Brief History Comprehensive Volume second edition. When 12yo dd needed info about things that changed as a result of the Renaissance it was a very handy resource. It gives that bigger picture analysis that stories for younger children may not do.

Now I really need to get that!

I actually detest teaching and studying about history, too. Except for local history. If I can see it...it's cool.

I've grown to appreciate history more since I started homeschooling and using SoTW.

I love history. All I do is read history. But my kids.... Not so much. They hated Story of the World. They didn't pay attention to the stories, they learned nothing. Oh no, I take that back. They remember that London burned because we colored those pictures of the London row houses, set them up on the patio and lit them on fire. They remember that. History has been so bad for us. So bad that for the past 2 years we have been doing A Beka history because I felt like at the very least my kids need to be historically literate. And A Beka history is so boring, I literally have nodded off in the couch while we were reading. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

Morning! 

Critterfirxer - I can't do a pick up because I need climate control for my dogs. I seriously considered an SUV. What I really would consider if I had bucketloads more money is a new Suburban. I've heard there is "comes with your own Navy Seal" option. That's the one I'd get.   

But I need climate control & I need low vehicles because right now I have old dogs, and even when I get young dogs, I really don't like them jumping out of cars too high. Jumping agility is different when it's controlled than in & out of tall trucks.  I have a torn ACL phobia.

I don't have Spielvogel. I like saying Spielvogel.  I have looked at Spielvogel and that was the extent of it. 

My new car has its first free baby car check up at the dealer this morning. They will wash it for me too. I signed up to go to the selling dealer & not my local, convenient dealer, because I'm hoping they will give me swag. Like a coffee cup or an umbrella or something. I hear there are perks if you attend the first few service appointments there, so I'm driving across town for the chance of some Toyota tchotchkes & a free car wash.  

• Like 7