• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Ok, ITTers with high schoolers and littles, how do you balance things? I'm trying to figure out how to have the in-depth discussion and oversight that my oldest needs while keeping the ankle biters at bay. Currently, the plan is to spin off oldest during the first four days of the week, and give him my Fridays. The ankle biters will have me Monday-Thursday.  Because we school year-round, 4 day a week school shouldn't be bad. If all goes well, we should be done by noon Friday which will give me some time to do a library run, etc.

I'm shoving ds's 1.5h occupational therapy sessions to late afternoons so that we have less disruptions. I can't handle having my school days broken up anymore, and a slot just opened up.

MOOOOOOOOM!!!!  I mean,  LYYYYYYYYNNNN!

Prairie has a questioooooonnn!!!

• Like 5

I'm having an argument with fb messenger. I deactivated my fb account but selected to keep me signed into messenger.  It works fine on my mobile devices but won't let me login to messenger on the desktop. Why does everything have to be so difficult? 

Also, my neighbour is powerwashing. 
The only sound I hate more than powerwashing is a chainsaw. 

Is it really bad to wish the machine to just break into a hundred irreparable pieces? 

• Like 2

Oh I hear you. Small yapping dogs are #3 on my list.

Neighbours across one of the back fences used to have min-pins (named Minnie & Mouse O.o ) who barked and barked & one would dig under and try to get into our yard. Minnie got in once & bit Darwin, my dorky English Setter on the nose. My malamute x gsd girl put her mouth over the min pin and pinned it to the ground. She didn't leave a mark on the dog but wouldn't let it go either until I got to her and told her to knock it off.  Daisy has impeccable teeth control but she takes absolutely no nonsense from dogs. I adore dogs, a giant chunk of my waking hours are all about dogs, dogs, dogs, but yapping dogs drive me crazy. 

So it's kind of ironic that Darwin, who now is getting old & either has a brain tumor or doggy dementia or is just confused by his sight & hearing loss, likes to wander around the house, get lost in a room and yelpy bark for no reason that we can tell.  We think he can't hear himself so he's pitching it higher and higher and won't stop until someone sits with him and pets him and tells him it's all ok. You can't call him because he can't hear you, and you have to get pretty close to him before he notices you so you really have to get up, find him and get him. It's a good thing I love him because there are moments that I'm grinding my teeth at him.... 

• Like 2

MOOOOOOOOM!!!!  I mean,  LYYYYYYYYNNNN!

Prairie has a questioooooonnn!!!

How sweet that you think I know the answer, lol.  I think we should ask Heather/Profmom!   

I'm with Susan.  I'd like to outsource literature at some point if I can.  Sorry I'm not much help.  The thing I spend the most time with my 14yo is math because we generally do the lesson together everyday.  He likes to do math last, and that's fine because I'm finished with everyone by then.  Unfortunately, that means some days we're doing math at 5:00 or 6:00.  Anyway, I think once a week discussions for history, literature, etc. could work depending on the student and the materials you're using.  Lots of help, right?

• Like 3

I wanted to do this last year but didn't have the money. Would you do this pregnant? I would go with Mary, Matt with John, and it's only 1K. We can walk it. What do you think?

How are you in your pregnancies? I have family that run miles and miles every morning well up until their deliveries and then there is me, who ends up on bedrest every.single.pregnancy.  If you are already regularly walking, 1K when you are 35-36 weeks shouldn't be a big deal, especially at Mary's pace.  That said, will she walk it all? My 3yo gives up on hills fairly regularly and I end up schlepping her.

How are you in your pregnancies? I have family that run miles and miles every morning well up until their deliveries and then there is me, who ends up on bedrest every.single.pregnancy. If you are already regularly walking, 1K when you are 35-36 weeks shouldn't be a big deal, especially at Mary's pace. That said, will she walk it all? My 3yo gives up on hills fairly regularly and I end up schlepping her.

The 4 of us do 1-3 miles every day the weather allows at a place called Cooper *Mountain*. She's a tough kid. Me? That depends on the day. I'd probably do the walk and not want to stay for the free food and aquarium admission. :lol:

I'm having an argument with fb messenger. I deactivated my fb account but selected to keep me signed into messenger.  It works fine on my mobile devices but won't let me login to messenger on the desktop. Why does everything have to be so difficult? 

Also, my neighbour is powerwashing. 

The only sound I hate more than powerwashing is a chainsaw. 

Is it really bad to wish the machine to just break into a hundred irreparable pieces? 

Our neighbors had several trees cut down today.  One of them was pretty tall.  One of the landscapers climbed the tree so that he could cut off the branches before they cut down the tree.

I immediately thought of Sweetpea's daredevil.   :)

Edited by Junie
  • Like 5

The 4 of us do 1-3 miles every day the weather allows at a place called Cooper *Mountain*. She's a tough kid. Me? That depends on the day. I'd probably do the walk and not want to stay for the free food and aquarium admission. :lol:

If you take my pseudo-grandbabies, you have to stay for the aquarium. Suck it up, Buttercup!*

*Assuming that you are feeling well enough to walk.  No messing with Molly and her brother.

• Like 2

Just rearranged the schoolroom. Going to get me a new, bigger whiteboard tomorrow, and it shall be magnetic. The large one I have is not, and we've outgrown our smaller magnetic one. DH said yes, so I rearranged today and will buy tomorrow before he changes his mind!

• Like 8

Renai (or anyone), does My Father's World do a lot of projects? Like plan ahead, buy the things, make a mess and clean it up type of thing?

Lynn (or anyone), can we use watercolor pencils instead of watercolor crayons with Artistic Pursuits K-3 1? I have the only kids in the world that don't like crayons.

MFW does have projects if you want to do them. There is a look-ahead list at the beginning of each week, as well as the list at the beginning of the year of regular materials you'll need.

Dd16 was a child that liked to draw with ink pens. I have some pretty amazing art from when she was 2. Gymnast likes a particular crayon: http://www.sonlight.com/TA07.html. Other than that, she uses other drawing mediums.

MFW does have projects if you want to do them. There is a look-ahead list at the beginning of each week, as well as the list at the beginning of the year of regular materials you'll need.

Dd16 was a child that liked to draw with ink pens. I have some pretty amazing art from when she was 2. Gymnast likes a particular crayon: http://www.sonlight.com/TA07.html. Other than that, she uses other drawing mediums.

We have those crayons. My children hate them. What paper do you use?

How important are the projects?

Our neighbors had several trees cut down today.  One of them was pretty tall.  One of the landscapers climbed the tree so that he could cut off the branches before they cut down the tree.

HAHAHA!!!  My son's future career, maybe?  

You should have shown him the picture and told him he had nothing on this 9 yr old you knew...

• Like 2

Found a possible apartment. It could be great. Across the street from a nature park we frequent, washer/dryer in unit, not stupid kitchen. It's nothing special but I adore this nature park. I would be able to take the kids every morning. It's heavily wooded so light rain and freezing cold are irrelevant. This is my top pick. Matt's dropping an application off on Monday. :)

• Like 10

Found a possible apartment. It could be great. Across the street from a nature park we frequent, washer/dryer in unit, not stupid kitchen. It's nothing special but I adore this nature park. I would be able to take the kids every morning. It's heavily wooded so light rain and freezing cold are irrelevant. This is my top pick. Matt's dropping an application off on Monday. :)

Sounds promising!!!

• Like 1

Does anyone (Critter, or anyone else, I know there are animal-type people here) know when a pet is in pain? I know it's a dumb question. We have an elderly cat. She's 15 years old. Yes, she really is. And she has some tumors on her rump, on top. My plan is to just hold on with her until it seems that she's in pain and her quality of life is diminished and then take her to the vet. But how do I know she's in pain? She miaows a lot, but it seems more like she wants to be petted. She doesn't flinch when when we pet her. She's always been an outdoor cat, but the last several years she's been living in the garage. She has a bed, food and water. She has a cat door to go outside to go potty. I guess I'm just a little worried about her, but generally she seems fine. 

Typically, if an owner is asking me about signs of pain in their cat, they are probably seeing some. Pain in a cat can manifest as grouchiness or extra sleepiness, but some cats are just plain needy when they hurt. Because they are so small, and basically a prey item to larger animals, cats are just programmed not to broadcast their pain. I've seen truly terrible injuries in cats and you would swear that they would be screaming and they are not giving away a thing. Doesn't mean they don't hurt. Just that they are hiding it for all they are worth.

Probably the best way to determine if a cat is in pain? Try pain management. There are some decent medications now that can be compounded to make them easier to give to cats. Talk to your vet about finding something to try for her, because cats can be very sensitive to some medications and at her age, you don't want to cause any issues when you are trying to treat others.

Ok, ITTers with high schoolers and littles, how do you balance things? I'm trying to figure out how to have the in-depth discussion and oversight that my oldest needs while keeping the ankle biters at bay. Currently, the plan is to spin off oldest during the first four days of the week, and give him my Fridays. The ankle biters will have me Monday-Thursday.  Because we school year-round, 4 day a week school shouldn't be bad. If all goes well, we should be done by noon Friday which will give me some time to do a library run, etc.

I'm shoving ds's 1.5h occupational therapy sessions to late afternoons so that we have less disruptions. I can't handle having my school days broken up anymore, and a slot just opened up.

My 9th graders are almost 100% independent.  Now, note that I do teach their English co-op class, which is time-consuming.   But day to day, I am not needed by my boys for school.  One kid has two online classes, and one kid is about to join him with those.  I will be involved this summer with history.  I have some of youngest's work mostly independent - math, spelling, writing, handwriting, independent reading, and art.  I do literature, poetry, and history reading aloud.  I read science aloud to her.  My schedule works out okay because I start with little dd in the morning when I am fresh.  I set a time to plan English class (it was on Monday afternoons when I would send little dd to practice with the boys and dh).  It worked out well.  I am low energy lately so I would not say I am doing the very best job ever of checking math and spelling, but I did when she first started the year until I was clear she knew what she was doing, and I grade all of her final unit tests for math so I can catch any errors.  That's my homeschool confession for the day.

I wanted to do this last year but didn't have the money. Would you do this pregnant? I would go with Mary, Matt with John, and it's only 1K. We can walk it. What do you think?

Yes, I would.

:leaving:

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 6

I talked to my odd father for over an hour just now.  I paid it forward in memory of my friend Jerry by buying a pair of dress shoes for a single mom in college friend of mine. 

I've been shaky, weepy, and talky today, but I increased my thyroid med the day before I started the prednisone so who can say what is going on.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 2

Typically, if an owner is asking me about signs of pain in their cat, they are probably seeing some. Pain in a cat can manifest as grouchiness or extra sleepiness, but some cats are just plain needy when they hurt. Because they are so small, and basically a prey item to larger animals, cats are just programmed not to broadcast their pain. I've seen truly terrible injuries in cats and you would swear that they would be screaming and they are not giving away a thing. Doesn't mean they don't hurt. Just that they are hiding it for all they are worth.

Probably the best way to determine if a cat is in pain? Try pain management. There are some decent medications now that can be compounded to make them easier to give to cats. Talk to your vet about finding something to try for her, because cats can be very sensitive to some medications and at her age, you don't want to cause any issues when you are trying to treat others.

My SIL (who is a crazy cat lady :lol: ) says that when cats are sick or hurt, they hide and wait to die, and it seems pretty accurate.  When our Lilycat (the gut-kneader) had stomatitis, she ran and hid under things and wouldn't come out and refused to eat because of the pain.

I have decided what I need to do to combat the recent issues I've had with anxiety and nightmares. I've got to start running again, yo.

Note. Once I start running, I like it. A lot. The trouble is, I really have to be up at 12+ miles a week for it to do much good for my stress levels. By that time my hip is screaming and my feet hurt. And that's with the best of shoes! :mellow:

I have decided what I need to do to combat the recent issues I've had with anxiety and nightmares. I've got to start running again, yo.

Note. Once I start running, I like it. A lot. The trouble is, I really have to be up at 12+ miles a week for it to do much good for my stress levels. By that time my hip is screaming and my feet hurt. And that's with the best of shoes! :mellow:

This is a bad solution!  I prescribe CBT.  Take some and call me in the morning.

Anxiety is worse than poison ivy rashes.

We are back from Good Friday service. It was beautiful, as usual. (Mostly scripture/responsive readings, short homilies, choir and congregational singing.) It ends with a reading of Luke 23:50-56 (The burial of Jesus) during which the lights are dimmed, and followed by a bell that chimes slowly while everyone leaves in silence. It is quite moving.

• Like 7

My mom got a job! She left her very good paying job and is now working a minimum wage job but she was so unhappy doing what she was doing I think this might be good. She'll be working in a deli in a chain grocery store. I'm glad she'll be out doing stuff and won't be so stressed. She was on the brink of something not good. And it's a huge chain so when her house sells she might be able to transfer. This is all very good. And I'm glad she will be working minimum wage because I got very tired of her not understanding why I can't just run out and get a new computer or car. Not everyone has $600 laying around after bills every month!

• Like 4

Dh and I had a date night.  We went to this Vietnamese restaurant   and I was brave and ordered these crepes that I didn't know how to eat.  So I ate them wrong.  Afterwards I found a YouTube explaining how to eat them.  They were still yummy even wrong.

Afterwards we walked at a park along Lake Washington.  I got in my steps so I get halo points. 

• Like 5

Dh and I had a date night.  We went to this Vietnamese restaurant   and I was brave and ordered these crepes that I didn't know how to eat.  So I ate them wrong.  Afterwards I found a YouTube explaining how to eat them.  They were still yummy even wrong.

Afterwards we walked at a park along Lake Washington.  I got in my steps so I get halo points. 

:Angel_anim:

• Like 1

Dh and I had a date night. We went to this Vietnamese restaurant and I was brave and ordered these crepes that I didn't know how to eat. So I ate them wrong. Afterwards I found a YouTube explaining how to eat them. They were still yummy even wrong.

Afterwards we walked at a park along Lake Washington. I got in my steps so I get halo points.

Sounds wonderful! And I'm sure the crepe police didn't come after you! Reminds me of my first time eating lobster on Cape Cod. Whoooo boy! Now that's an experience I do not want to repeat!
  • Like 2

My boss at the company where I work is retiring.  I am very,very sad.  He is the most wonderful boss.

But I think that I am being recruited.  He sent me this message (font size and color original):

PLEASE COME TO WORK FOR US!!! WE NEED YOU!!!

I cannot work full time and homeschool.  It stresses me out and makes my head explode.  And I get pneumonia.  Really bad.

Nonetheless, I am conflicted. 

I would love to be appreciated.  Or at least paid.

You should feel sorry for me.

very-sad.gif

• Like 8