• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

My children have learned at least three different history/geography songs this year to that tune.

I can have it stuck in my head in multiple versions, now.  Go me. 

Can you share?

(Don't feel like you have to post it tonight.  I think I really am going to bed.  Soon.)

:blink: And I think it might be time for me to get some sleep.  I don't even know what this means.

I'm out of likes.

You know, 4 * 5 = four sets of five, or four rows of five columns each, as a matrix:

ooooo

ooooo

ooooo

ooooo

But then you get 2 * 4 * 5  and all of a sudden you have a 3 dimensional object, two planes of four rows of five columns each:

/ / / / /

ooooo/

ooooo/

ooooo/

ooooo/

Imagine that those forward slashes indicate that the "o" has two dimensions, like an "o" behind it. You can build this with children's wooden blocks.

Start with one. That is a 'point'. Now one times two. That is two in a row, that makes a line. A line is a dot that extends in space in one dimension. But then imagine you extend that line in another dimension, perpendicular to the first. You get a plane. But what about the third dimension, when it leaps off the paper? Depth? Now you have a full-on three-dimensional Euclidean geometry.

Beast Academy 3B sets the stage for Euclidean geometry and later, linear algebra by starting with multiplication as the building block for understanding linear spaces.

• Like 3

I'm out of likes.

You know, 4 * 5 = four sets of five, or four rows of five columns each, as a matrix:

ooooo

ooooo

ooooo

ooooo

But then you get 2 * 4 * 5  and all of a sudden you have a 3 dimensional object, two planes of four rows of five columns each:

/ / / / /

ooooo/

ooooo/

ooooo/

ooooo/

Imagine that those forward slashes indicate that the "o" has two dimensions, like an "o" behind it. You can build this with children's wooden blocks.

Start with one. That is a 'point'. Now one times two. That is two in a row, that makes a line. A line is a dot that extends in space in one dimension. But then imagine you extend that line in another dimension, perpendicular to the first. You get a plane. But what about the third dimension, when it leaps off the paper? Depth? Now you have a full-on three-dimensional Euclidean geometry.

Beast Academy 3B sets the stage for Euclidean geometry and later, linear algebra by starting with multiplication as the building block for understanding linear spaces.

Very cool.  Dd7 would like this.  I want to try Beast, but no one is far enough along yet.  

• Like 1

I'm out of likes.

ooooo

ooooo

ooooo

ooooo

/ / / / /

ooooo/

ooooo/

ooooo/

ooooo/

This is where I caught on.   :lol:  Maybe I need to buy some math manipulatives for myself.

• Like 1

Very cool.  Dd7 would like this.  I want to try Beast, but no one is far enough along yet.  

It sounds cool to an adult who already struggled through multiplication, but getting through even multiplication as a two-dimensional exercise can be... turgid, even for a very bright third grader. I thought my kids would just love BA but I think to them it's just, "Wait a second. I have to think. THIS IS HARD, what the heck!?!?" And there are other puzzles, too. The linear ones, she loved. The perfect squares ones, holy heck.

It's good for her. They are both the types to race through conventional math sheets but I want them to get a solid foundation.

Without this board I'd never have heard of Beast Academy!

This is where I caught on.   :lol:  Maybe I need to buy some math manipulatives for myself.

We all should have had this education. There is no harm in reviewing. Then you bring in the fourth dimension: time.

What if I did this every day, for six days? 6 * 2 * 4 * 5... you end up with six three-dimensional objects. Now imagine another dimension... that helps with string theory (which is stalled but whatever).

• Like 1

Good morning, ITT, and may you have enough coffee to make it a proper daytime. :cheers2:

My little morning person is still in bed, because it's dark and rainy. :eek:  DH has already gone to work.

Our sunrise/sunset times today are around 7:30 AM/PM, exactly an hour later than I think they should be. No wonder I've been so cheerful and energetic the last two weeks!

• Like 3

Good morning.

It is raining here and thundering too. It is a nice gentle rain though with the thunder rumbling in the distance.

Jean, I'm so glad your power is back on.

JoJosmom, when is the national math-a-thon competition?

I'm sorry I missed last night. You all had some fun. Wish I could've been there.

Tomorrow is our anniversary. Woo hoo!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

• Like 2

Good morning, y'all.

The boys are up early. They are voicing their criticism of the nest site that the Phoebes have picked. It's on the house light above the garage. They've tried that before and lost a clutch of chicks. Compare to when they built under the porch and raised two clutches in one year. But this year two wrens have appropriated that spot, so it's back to the light fixture. Kitten is beside herself with delight. Now she can sit in the window and chatter at birds to her heart's content.

Chuck-Will's-Widows are birds of the night-jar variety. They sound like a Whip-or-will, but much more enthusiastic. One morning a few summers ago, the DH and I were awakened by one screaming right under the window. But when they call up on the mountainside it is a southern dream song.

Slache, being sick stinks. I hope you go get your coloring books. I have a secret love of Prismacolor watercolor pencils. Actually, all watercolor pencils are great. But don't drop them. Ever. I think that is probably why colored pencils get a reputation for breaking all the time. They get dropped, the lead fractures the length of the stick, and you never get a truly good point ever again.

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Ironically, I knew this when I was a child and a young adult. Now I just plan not to grow up.

We had no sleeping lions, but this household of sleeping bobcats were all in bed by 9 and snoring by 9:30. Didn't get us up much earlier this morning though. We were still up at 7. They want to start school early this morning. Something about taking their boats down to the creek. 

• Like 3

I'm out of likes.

ooooo

ooooo

ooooo

ooooo

/ / / / /

ooooo/

ooooo/

ooooo/

ooooo/

:blink:

I can read those words, but when they are together like this, I have no idea what they mean.

Please don't try to explain them to me. I'm putting them in the same category as negative numbers, aka the spawn of Satan. :ack2:

• Like 7

Hah, mine slept until 9:30 and only got up because I called for them to start chores. I was tempted to let them sleep. But that just means *my* day would be dragged out at the other end.

And you all know, if I had sat down to tackle any of my pressing projects while they slept in, the little destructo-beasts would have been downstairs in a heartbeat.

• Like 7

:blink:

I can read those words, but when they are together like this, I have no idea what they mean.

Please don't try to explain them to me. I'm putting them in the same category as negative numbers, aka the spawn of Satan. :ack2:

I <3 negative numbers. I will not try to explain them though. Negative numbers are "before" and "ago". A walk along a timeline.

• Like 2

I <3 negative numbers. I will not try to explain them though. Negative numbers are "before" and "ago". A walk along a timeline.

TYVM. You're a good friend.

The rules for negative numbers remind me of the rules of Fizbin:

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 3

Upper 70s here. Very warm for this time of year.

The boys are plowing through the day. We are already through all major subjects and they are completing history and science right now. At this rate, they will finish the day's schoolwork by noon.

• Like 2

TYVM. You're a good friend.

The rules for negative numbers remind me of the rules of Fizbin:

I never learned any rules. I learned one principle: negative is going the opposite direction.

If you stand on a line, and set zero, you can do any operation, so long as you turn around when you change signs. Sign is direction.

However, it was explained to me in a class in which we actually physically moved and divided things in negative and positive space. So every time you saw a sign, you moved in the direction of that sign.

Funny because negatives work the same in math or in speech:

Don't not call! works precisely like -1*-1.

I told her not to wake me up, but two weeks in a row she didn't not wake me up twice! -2 * -2 = four times she did NOT do what I asked, she woke me up.

Multiplication gets more complicated but the principle is the same...

Edit to add: Plus infinity for Star Trek! :D

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 3

I never learned any rules. I learned one principle: negative is going the opposite direction.

If you stand on a line, and set zero, you can do any operation, so long as you turn around when you change signs. Sign is direction.

However, it was explained to me in a class in which we actually physically moved and divided things in negative and positive space. So every time you saw a sign, you moved in the direction of that sign.

Funny because negatives work the same in math or in speech:

Don't not call! works precisely like -1*-1.

I told her not to wake me up, but two weeks in a row she didn't not wake me up twice! -2 * -2 = four times she did NOT do what I asked, she woke me up.

Multiplication gets more complicated but the principle is the same...

Edit to add: Plus infinity for Star Trek! :D

No. It doesn't make sense. If you're adding or subtracting, you pick this random number because it's Tuesday and you use its sign, unless the other number is green, then you use that one.

• Like 4

Good late morning. I'm kinda wonky today.

I have a secret love of Prismacolor watercolor pencils. Actually, all watercolor pencils are great. But don't drop them. Ever. I think that is probably why colored pencils get a reputation for breaking all the time. They get dropped, the lead fractures the length of the stick, and you never get a truly good point ever again.

I know about not dropping them. I'll pin the Prismacolor watercolor pencils. I didn't know that was a thing.

So, younger ds crashed at 2:30 a.m.  DD joined me at 4:00. Dh's alarm went off at 5:00. 

And this, people, is how my caffeine habit continued as long as it did.

Good morning, everyone!

I know I'm a broken record here but Whole30 gave me insane amounts of energy. I believe it was no carbs that did it. Do you think eating better wold help? Green smoothies do wonders for energy levels and there's no crashing.

*Disclaimer: I had Oreos for breakfast.

• Like 3

No. It doesn't make sense. If you're adding or subtracting, you pick this random number because it's Tuesday and you use its sign, unless the other number is green, then you use that one.

Well, you managed to get the kids though so I guess it works, LOL!

• Like 3

I just got an email from my mom that my grandmother's aunt passed away.  She was 95.  I *think* I met her at a family reunion a long time ago; I certainly wasn't close to her.  I just think that it's interesting how generations stack up sometimes.  She was my children's great-great-great aunt!

ETA:  And it's a Booyah for my Aunt L.!!!

Edited by Junie
  • Like 11

I just got an email from my mom that my grandmother's aunt passed away.  She was 95.  I *think* I met her at a family reunion a long time ago; I certainly wasn't close to her.  I just think that it's interesting how generations stack up sometimes.  She was my children't great-great-great aunt!

Sad, so I'll forgive your lack of booya.

:grouphug:

• Like 1

I just got an email from my mom that my grandmother's aunt passed away. She was 95. I *think* I met her at a family reunion a long time ago; I certainly wasn't close to her. I just think that it's interesting how generations stack up sometimes. She was my children's great-great-great aunt!

ETA: And it's a Booyah for my Aunt L.!!!

Wow, great-great-great aunt is an interesting relationship!

My kids have a great-great-uncle who we see on occasion, it is kind of fun.

• Like 1