Menu

Ignore this thread!

I didn't even like the halftime.

I enjoyed the fact that it looked to me like the performers were actually enjoying the performance and having fun, and I liked that they interacted with each other.  Previous SB performances that I saw all looked like the performers were concentrating too hard on the performance and I didn't get the same sort of energy from watching it that I got this time. 

Tastes in music vary widely, so I try not to judge based on the music genre itself.  I will judge for poor performance or lack of energy, though. 

• Like 2

Vitamin Report - Day 4:

I'm feeling better. I don't want to work out or do any serious housework, but if you'll recall I rely on supplements to be amazing and I'm uncomfortable with the caffeine content in those supplements so I'm probably pretty normal Slachie right now.

• Like 5

Hello...it's me.  I have ketched up.

All of my kids went to a little church-run, part-time preschool, and they used Abeka preschool curricula for handwriting and learning letters and such.  Once they came to me in K, I used A Reason for Handwriting.  It was plenty adequate.  No dysgraphics here.

I don't really do Lent.  I respect those who do.

Busy day today.  Busy week this week.  I have student essays hanging over my head and class to prepare for on Friday, which kicks off a two day local bball tourney.

Young lady with ovarian cancer will have a "second look" laparoscopic surgery by the oncologist with some biopsies in a few weeks.  Chemo will be put off until she recovers from that, which will allow her to not miss any of the tournaments and will allow her to be completely active (she helps our team warm up and attends many practices).  Chemo will start sometime late March-ish, I am guessing.  All good stuff.

My children are loud, and this causes me and the rest of the children stress.  That is all.

I look forward to the children all going to bball prax, as is the habit on Mondays, when even little dd rides along, so I can complete my English class prep.  Also, our experience in Upward bball this year with little dd has not been positive, for the first time ever.  The game has changed to accommodate more competition.  Now, little dd with her clubfoot lingering issues, cannot keep up.  It is more aggressive, fast-paced, and it is no longer a safe place for her.  She will not play next year.

• Like 5

I'm not doing much today. I'm staying home and tending my cozy fire. And researching curriculum for next year.

I have decided that Art of Argument looks good for Logic next year using the twice a week schedule. I can do that.

I discovered a really, really neat book on essays for the boys to read next year called Breakfast on Mars. I read a little bit of it and I already like it.

The UPS man got really confused and didn't deliver my math books today. Situation rectified and the package will be here tomorrow.

It's spitting snow.

My BIL's cow had twin calves and I get be the bad guy and ruin the surprise. Chances are he will already be familiar with the problem with cows and twin calves of opposite sex, but boy did I have to dig deep to find that information. I haven't studied anything cow related in years.

• Like 3

Tex--I'm sad for your little girl & the bb. It's been hard for my kids when their ages transition from fun collective play to ultra-competitive traveling team play. I wish that there was an in-between ground for kids who just want some exercise and fun.

Me, too.  Upward was our safe place, but it has changed.  Where do this sports misfits go now?

I'm not doing much today. I'm staying home and tending my cozy fire. And researching curriculum for next year.

I have decided that Art of Argument looks good for Logic next year using the twice a week schedule. I can do that.

I discovered a really, really neat book on essays for the boys to read next year called Breakfast on Mars. I read a little bit of it and I already like it.

The UPS man got really confused and didn't deliver my math books today. Situation rectified and the package will be here tomorrow.

It's spitting snow.

My BIL's cow had twin calves and I get be the bad guy and ruin the surprise. Chances are he will already be familiar with the problem with cows and twin calves of opposite sex, but boy did I have to dig deep to find that information. I haven't studied anything cow related in years.

This is what we did, mostly orally.  It was great.

• Like 5

Me, too. Upward was our safe place, but it has changed. Where do this sports misfits go now

We are a family of klutzes. Individual fitness stuff (walking, hiking, biking) or just play stuff (kicking a ball, frisbee, aerobic kite flying, etc.) are our only options. No competitive sports. Ever.

This is what we did, mostly orally. It was great.

We loved AoA, too.

ETA: That's all boogered up. Sorry. On my phone.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 3

I was going to go to the Y for an hour this morning to work out since I'm going out to Starbucks tonight with Tess in the Burbs.  But it is now 11:30 and if I exercise to 12:30 and then come home to eat my bloodsugar will get too low.  So I will go in the early afternoon.  This way I can finish cleaning the kitchen and getting laundry settled this morning.  Not that I want to do that, mind you, but I will.  Being a grown up means making myself do a lot of things that I don't want to do!  But I suspect that is the case for most, if not all of us. 

• Like 3

My sports misfit kids have gone into scouting, taken some community classes (we are eyeing a Y membership right now), and hike/swim/etc as a family.  I think it's a reasonable approach towards lifelong fitness, but they miss the comradery of exercising with other kids.  We're trying to get them to take up jogging as doing 5K races could be fun to do as a family.

• Like 2

Critter fixer, the issue is that the heifer is usually infertile, right?

Something in the neighborhood of 93% of the time. The male isn't always great either. I don't think it will matter much since I think that these calves are destined to end up on a plate. 

My sports misfit kids have gone into scouting, taken some community classes (we are eyeing a Y membership right now), and hike/swim/etc as a family.  I think it's a reasonable approach towards lifelong fitness, but they miss the comradery of exercising with other kids.  We're trying to get them to take up jogging as doing 5K races could be fun to do as a family.

Little dd loves the part about being on a team.  She is very, very social.  Because she is essentially physically disabled when it comes to many sports, jogging, jumping sports (volleyball), running sports (most of the rest) are out.  

Edited by texasmama

In case you don't look in the Chat Room - 
I'm needing some popular songs that I can put into a school assembly video. However, in my home, popular songs are "Jesus Loves Me" and "Twinkle, Twinkle", so I'm thinking those probably won't cut it. 

Any suggestions for Clean or cleaned up via Kids Bop songs? 

Jean, do you deal with aphasia? I swear the low dose chemo I am on is giving me a bit of aphasia. I am on a 30 second lag to naming things sometimes.  

My kids are used to me saying things like "Can you get out the vroom vroom for me?"  (vacuum) or "Can you put out the. . . white round things on the table?"    Does that answer your question?!  Some of it is normal for a lot of people my age.  Some is not. 

• Like 3

What about swimming, Tex? My boys can't handle the coordinated movement of swimming, but my ^dd^ who became wheelchair bound LOVED being in the water.

Swimming is a possibility at some point when our schedule opens up.  We are 30 minutes from the nearest Y so that is not practical, but a local hospital has a fitness center.  I wish we were down the street like Jean.  Little dd took swimming lessons last summer, and she was by far the worst one in her class, but she had a fabulous instructor who encouraged her and made her feel good about her efforts.  Her foot and leg abnormalities affect her swimming abilities, too, but she does enjoy splashing around.  She loves anything group-oriented.  She is by far my most social child.

I didn't tell the ITT, but she asked to go to public school last Friday after co-op.  Our public school is not an option, but I drove her there anyway.  She really just wants to be with other kids all the time.  I may look into university model school for her later on, in high school.

• Like 2

I have found that when I eat gluten, I deal with aphasia. I have lost so much vocabulary over the years. I used to write really well and be able to argue points, but when gluten started messing with my brain, I feel like I lost a lot of my communication skills. I say the wrong names and words all the time. 

• Like 2

My kids are used to me saying things like "Can you get out the vroom vroom for me?"  (vacuum) or "Can you put out the. . . white round things on the table?"    Does that answer your question?!  Some of it is normal for a lot of people my age.  Some is not. 

I call everything a yum yum.  No matter if it is food-related or not.  I am not on any meds that would affect my brain.  I think it is the lack of hormones in middle age.  This has been going on for a few years.

• Like 3

Jean--yes, that's what I mean.  Or I use a completely semi-random word in its place and I have no clue that I've done it.

All right, I have dinner guests coming in a few hours and I need to clean up the house and get food going.  Wish me luck, I'm stretching myself to have new people over every.single.week. I think my introverted self is freaking out a bit.

• Like 3

You all are like the Energizer Bunny! Still going....

And on the whole asking for things like the "vroom vroom", at least it's not, "can you hand me that thing?" When my kids do that it drives me batty? Nouns, adjectives, something people-help a girl out! My brain is too fried to play $10,000 Pyramid. 

Carry on. :) 

• Like 6

Jean--yes, that's what I mean.  Or I use a completely semi-random word in its place and I have no clue that I've done it.

All right, I have dinner guests coming in a few hours and I need to clean up the house and get food going.  Wish me luck, I'm stretching myself to have new people over every.single.week. I think my introverted self is freaking out a bit.

Random word, yes!  I only know when I do that because my kids will howl with laughter.  I was thinking the right word but the wrong word comes out. 

• Like 4

You all are like the Energizer Bunny! Still going....

And on the whole asking for things like the "vroom vroom", at least it's not, "can you hand me that thing?" When my kids do that it drives me batty? Nouns, adjectives, something people-help a girl out! My brain is too fried to play $10,000 Pyramid. 

Carry on. :)

This is our magical happy place. 

• Like 7

I'm an extrovert, and I'm trying to have people over once a month.  Why are you doing this to yourself? (can't find the right emoticon-- said in a friendly, curious way; not in a judgy way)

• Like 1

And, yes, I deal with brain-fog sometimes.  Probably more often than I realize.

I have noticed that I sometimes get my right and left hands mixed up on the keyboard.  I'll know the correct position of the letter, but I'll used the wrong hand to try to type it.  Like hitting an "s" instead of an "l".  So frustrating.

Taking a break from cleaning.....

I'm doing this for a few reasons:

1. We moved and we are building up a whole new network of community.  Most of our community life naturally comes through church (that's where our boy scout troops, activity day girls, youth seminary, etc. are all based out of).  Everyone else is already established and living busy lives, so the only way to get invited "in" to their lives outside of all of these shared activities is to have people over.

2. Our boys need to see new friendships being made. We're modeling opening conversations, showing interest in others, and being gracious (especially when others are not gracious).

3. I need to live life a little. My health is kind of shaky and if this is it, I'm embracing it. I'm done with waiting for some "better" time to do things.

4. My girls desperately miss their friends. We're targeting families with kids their own ages 75% of the time to try to spark some play dates.  

5. This gets my house clean at least once a week. It's easy to maintain than dig out from scratch.

That doesn't mean that I don't totally freak out before people show up, though. ;)

• Like 7

Words aren't so bad for me.  What is bad, is driving somewhere and all of a sudden wondering "where am I going again?"  Dd has stopped me from just taking random exits off of the freeway - or at least told me when I've done it so that I can reroute and get back on the freeway. 

Yeah, that one's kind of scary. MIL had to stop driving for that reason.

Yeah, that one's kind of scary. MIL had to stop driving for that reason.

Dh has talked to ds18 about hurrying up his driver's ed. so that he can be back-up.  And there are times when I'm on certain meds when I'm not allowed to drive without the kids in the car with me.  (Which sounds scary but it's a  directional thing - I know how to drive quite well.)  Doctors have been told exactly how it is.  No one has told me not to drive.  And it actually has been getting better. 

• Like 1

Taking a break from cleaning.....

I'm doing this for a few reasons:

1. We moved and we are building up a whole new network of community.  Most of our community life naturally comes through church (that's where our boy scout troops, activity day girls, youth seminary, etc. are all based out of).  Everyone else is already established and living busy lives, so the only way to get invited "in" to their lives outside of all of these shared activities is to have people over.

2. Our boys need to see new friendships being made. We're modeling opening conversations, showing interest in others, and being gracious (especially when others are not gracious).

3. I need to live life a little. My health is kind of shaky and if this is it, I'm embracing it. I'm done with waiting for some "better" time to do things.

4. My girls desperately miss their friends. We're targeting families with kids their own ages 75% of the time to try to spark some play dates.  

5. This gets my house clean at least once a week. It's easy to maintain than dig out from scratch.

That doesn't mean that I don't totally freak out before people show up, though. ;)

This is so super that you are doing this for yourself and your family!!

I have similar reasons for wanting to invite people over, but our schedule is too busy for every week.  And dh is an introvert, and getting him to agree to once a month might be pushing it.

• Like 2

OK, I worked out. I did not do well and I only did about half of it but I got really sweaty so I think that's good. My workout clothes have gotten smaller. :blink:

Eta: I also did some basic housework and played swords wiff the kiddos.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4

It is an absolutely beautiful day out. I shoved Rocky out the door and told him to "go play"! He's sitting at the door looking mournful and hoping that I will let him back in again. Stupid old dog.

It's gorgeous today here, too. The girls are outside screaming and laughing on the swing set. I always like to hear that sound.
  • Like 3