Menu

Ignore this thread!

Tex, my kids don't have enough shame at this age to care. Or she thinks it's funny. But I don't think she could help it at that point. I don't know about adhd. I do know we are all in the bed right now.

Everyone seems to think John has ADHD. I'm not saying he doesn't, but he's 5, so we aren't doing anything about it for now.
  • Like 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

(((Dawn))) emotional stress is so hard to deal with.

Slache, are you asking someone specific or the general ITT public?

FWIW, I started looking into homeschooling when my oldest was about 5 and, having the same "issues" as the beautiful gymnast (energy! :D ) plus a lot of Aspergery-type meltdowns and quirks, I didn't think he would fare well in a classroom. So we decided to homeschool him for kindergarden and see what happened from there.

It went well, and Bob's your uncle, he's in college.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 8

I didn't see Gymnast's behavior as being bad in anyway, even in public.  She has energy.  But she was not screaming.  She was not creating a scene.

I decided that I wanted to homeschool when I was still single and childless.  I read "For the Children's Sake" and used a lot of the principles when teaching.  I couldn't wait to have my own children to homeschool for real.  The "What do you think about homeschool" was a deal-breaker question when I was dating. 

• Like 8

(((Dawn))) emotional stress is so hard to deal with.

Slache, are you asking someone specific or the general ITT public?

FWIW, I started looking into homeschooling when my oldest was about 5 and, having the same "issues" as the beautiful gymnast plus a lot of Aspergery-type meltdowns and quirks, I didn't think he would fare well in a classroom. So we decided to homeschool him for kindergarden and see what happened from there.

It went well, and Bob's your uncle, he's in college.

:lol: I think "Bob's your uncle" is a super funny expression.

((Dawn))

I was up at 5:15 to get ready for the big ski adventure today. I used to be up at 5:15 everyday. I love it in the summer. In the winter, it feels so cold because it is so dark.

I have packed many books into a backpack so I have ample things to do while I sit in the ski lodge. I will work on finishing a physics syllabus and APHUG syllabus for next year. It would be REALLY nice to just get those done. I brought Smithsonian mag and back issues of the Atlantic and Peter Kreeft's Handbook of Christian Apologetics. I may add the Green Letters by Miles Stanford for fun. That should convince people I am schizophrenic.

Please pray that all bones, skulls, teeth etc. stay completely intact.

Off to shower and rouse the twerps. Happy Friday, ITT lovelies! :D

• Like 9

Good Morning. I slept well. Only up twice then back to sleep fairly quickly.

Thanks for the hugs. I need them.

I think gymnast is totally adorable. She has a lot of energy, but what 5 year old doesn't. My children are like Tex's. They bounce off the walls at home, but are perfect angels when we're are out.

There were many circumstances that influenced our decision to homeschool. It is expensive to send twins to preschool so we had preschool at home. Then the school board was discussing turning our local elementary school into a junior high. Also the principal was retiring, and she had been there for both of my older children. Mostly, though, the twins are very shy especially little dd. Twins are split up into separate classes at our public school, and that broke my heart. I really did not know homeschooling was a thing and a possibility until I started researching preschool stuff. One of the biggest influences was ds20. He was very supportive and encouraging. My biggest regret is not knowing about homeschooling. He would've been a blast to homeschool, and I think he would've thrived. Not saying I'm not happy with how he turned out. Not at all. He is wonderful. He would've loved homeschooling.

• Like 7

Points for getting my computer going again.

Points for quoting myself.

Points for making a pie chart.

pie%20chart.jpg

1st 100 pages 63 days

2nd 100 pages - 51 days

3rd 100 pages - 61 days

4th 100 pages - 44 days

5th 100 pages - 30 days

6th 100 pages - 28 days

7th 100 pages - ?

Just converting the data.

(ETA:  October 20 for page 400)

• Like 13

Aloha, my ITT haumana!

I took older dd out of school during Easter break of first grade (1982) because she was burned out. As a commitment, I decided that we'd consider this an extra-long summer vacation and we wouldn't do anything that Looked Like School; we'd be Officially Homeschooling in September, and if by November we were all still normal and we all still liked each other, we'd continue. :001_rolleyes:

• Like 8

Why did you decide to homeschool?

I've said it before, but I don't like the education provided in this district. It's sorely lacking and they're too focused on technology to make the changes that need to be made. The technology is great, but they also have to know things. 

Also, the amounts of testing are ridiculous. We practice 3 times for the state test, then take the state test. We lose at least a month of learning time due to testing and that's not counting the 3 tests we give for each skill set, plus the re-tests we give if they don't get an 80. It's just way too much. Plus, a lot of them don't make 80s, because we push through the curriculum at lightening speed and most can't keep up with that pace. 

I don't want that for my kiddo, so we'll be homeschooling. 

• Like 8

My sister and I were 9 years apart. We fought like cats and dogs. We're good friends now, though.

My brother is 8 years older than me, and we fought from morning til night. He hated me, and I didn't like him much either. Then he joined the Army, and my family fell apart. Anyways, now we are very close. We almost have this sixth sense like thing when one of us needs to talk or having a problem of some kind.

• Like 4

I'm sorry. I assume you're glad you did it?

Yes, I am glad.  My older sister was already homeschooling her brood, although she started them out in the public school.  She brought the two oldest home when she found out what the middle school was like before oldest got there.  It was nice to know someone who homeschooled when we made the decision.  We knew it was an option.  I am sure I would have gone the whole 504 plan route otherwise.  Which we were going to do until the school nurse blew me off.  So I turned around and blew them off instead.  :)  I had to convince DH.  He still sometimes worries about him "being on par," but pretty much leaves the planning and schooling to me, trusting me to make the right decisions.  I value his input, but I get to make the final decisions.  He knows DS is learning, and he likes that he has been able to spend more time with DS than he would have been able to if DS was in school.  We talked about private school and toured, but it is price-y, and it was then that DH realized DS was learning with me just as much as the kids there were learning.

Oh, and now my younger sister is homeschooling her two, as well.

• Like 6

I met a homeschooling family while I was in college (earning an education degree).  I already knew that if I had children I wanted to be a SAHM.  Homeschooling meant that I could stay home and teach.

I went to public schools and I knew that I didn't want that for my kids.  In order to pay for private school, I would have to go back to work.  So, I would be teaching other people's kids so that I could pay other people to teach mine.  It never made sense to me.

A date to a homeschooling convention (before we were married, before we had kids) put dh on board.

• Like 11

It's not just your kids, and it has nothing to do with age gaps. Mine are 11 years apart. I can't believe they still find things to fight about. Constantly.

11 years apart and they fight? Well, that blows our theory that if our kids were all 5 years apart we would have more peace in our home! :) hmm!
  • Like 3

So sorry.  What is your ds allergic to?

Peanuts

Tree Nuts

Egg

Soy

Tomatoes

Garlic

Strawberries

Flax

Annatto

Cats/Dogs

Wool

Grass(es)

Some trees

Outdoor mold (thankfully not the indoor molds or dust mites!)

I think I am missing something, but you get the picture.

And he has a whole long list of things to which he is sensitive, including: citric acid, turmeric, bananas, chocolate.

BUT, we can be happy every day that at least he is not currently allergic to wheat, dairy, or shellfish.  That is something, right?  And his numbers are going down for some of the allergies.  So there is hope.  Probably not for the eggs or peanuts or soy.  Those most likely will never go away.  But some of the others he may be able to tolerate more some day.  Maybe.

• Like 7

Best option available to us for academics, lifestyle and DS's personality.

When DS was a toddler and we were making our plans, the school district was not looking good (growing too fast and funding too slowly to keep up with building, weird shenanigans on the school board included one member accusing another of breaking into her house, our assigned school merely adequate and inconveniently located, uncertainty of reassignment meaning you weren't guaranteed not to be transferred to another school as often as every school year...). I think the district as a whole is looking a bit better now, but our assigned school still is not impressive.

Both private and public school only offer full-day kindergarten here, and if I'd gone back to work, DS would have been in before and after care as well. The private school where I used to teach is expensive, and located in the opposite direction from DH's workplace. If I'd gone back to working there in order to pay for it, it would've consumed all of our time except in July. I did not want to do the frantic kind of parenting I saw my colleagues doing, especially in winter when little kids get sick a lot.

DS was/is a bright, active, socially/emotionally late-blooming, not very compliant little boy who resisted activities like drawing, writing and coloring (read: what either school would've wanted him to do ~two hours a day) and was ready for more advanced math and science than he would likely get, especially since I don't think he'd necessarily qualify for a gifted label. He needs warm & fuzzy attention/instruction, sufficient discipline, high input, low output.

He did not like preschool--we sent him two mornings a week for two years--nor did he appear to get anything out of it. He would ask me if he and I could just go play with their toys when the teachers and other kids weren't there! (He really likes other children, just in smaller numbers.) I think this kid was born to homeschool.

• Like 9

I met a homeschooling family while I was in college (earning an education degree).  I already knew that if I had children I wanted to be a SAHM.  Homeschooling meant that I could stay home and teach.

I went to public schools and I knew that I didn't want that for my kids.  In order to pay for private school, I would have to go back to work.  So, I would be teaching other people's kids so that I could pay other people to teach mine.  It never made sense to me.

A date to a homeschooling convention (before we were married, before we had kids) put dh on board.

I got my teaching degree because I wanted to have summers with my children. I always figured I'd just teach in a private school and life would be glorious. Then, I discovered that you don't get paid beans at a private school. haha 

Dh was totally fine with a public school, but he also went to a 9-12 HS with only 200 students. Plus, he graduated in 1990. Not exactly a fair comparison to what our schools are like now. lol He still is ok with a public school; but also says that I'm in the trenches and he's not, so he'll let me do what I want in regards to education (as long as we can afford it). 

• Like 6

Peanuts

Tree Nuts

Egg

Soy

Tomatoes

Garlic

Strawberries

Flax

Annatto

Cats/Dogs

Wool

Grass(es)

Some trees

And he has a whole long list of things to which he is sensitive, including: citric acid, turmeric, bananas, chocolate.

BUT, we can be happy every day that at least he is not currently allergic to wheat, dairy, or shellfish.  That is something, right?  And his numbers are going down for some of the allergies.  So there is hope.  Probably not for the eggs or peanuts or soy.  Those most likely will never go away.  But some of the others he may be able to tolerate more some day.  Maybe.

:grouphug: 

DD only has an egg allergy, but she can eat it baked in items and she's likely growing out of her allergy. 

Some of those you have listed are hard to stay away from. :( 

Do you guys ever feel like you go insane with school? Youngest is watching Daniel Tiger on the computer because oldest is watching Algebra videos on the tv. Older dd is talking incessantly to me while doing her MEP math, and I'm letting younger son sleep in because his chaos is easier to manage when I can 1:1 on him.  The dryer is going, my phone is chirping, and holy cow I just realized I haven't had caffeine yet. BRB.

• Like 8

I think teen boys must be deficient in vitamin P, because oldest did that with a test a couple of weeks ago.  Licking paper just seems so icky to do.  I have had my exposure to bodily fluids, and still have a kid in diapers, so a paper with slobber on it does nothing to phase me. When he realized it had no effect on me, he held the paper high above my head to prove I am short. Yes, I knew that too.

Caffeine is in me now, and my laundry has been switched. I love my soda stream.  

• Like 3

Because I became convinced of the Classical Education Model. I love it. Now.... I'm in an educational crisis because we don't classically homeschool. Well, we do Latin and Greek, and that's about all. My kids would rather just "get it done" and go on to other things, so we have devolved to a more boxed curriculum approach. And I spend my days thinking....why am I doing this? I could send the kids to the parochial school DS1 goes to and then I could have a cleaner house, join a ladies Bible Study, work in my garden more.... I'm really having a struggle here. I'm feeling like I need to do some soul searching and somehow adjust my expectations and let go of my dreams if I am going to continue to homeschool because I can't keep reading the articles in the Memoria Press catalog and get depressed like I am now.
  • Like 6

DD only has an egg allergy, but she can eat it baked in items and she's likely growing out of her allergy. 

Some of those you have listed are hard to stay away from. :(

DS can't eat it baked, either. :( 

He has contact reactions to egg, as well.

Sucks.  I miss my morning eggs, which incidentally I only started eating when I was pregnant with DS.  How's that for mommy guilt?

• Like 1

Points for getting my computer going again.

Points for quoting myself.

Points for making a pie chart.

pie%20chart.jpg

Overachiever.

I am at the ski lodge with APHUG materials spread out over the table. I feel a bit sick. I think I need to eat something. I can either have clementines or nachos. Now there is a tough choice.

• Like 2

Peanuts

Tree Nuts

Egg

Soy

Tomatoes

Garlic

Strawberries

Flax

Annatto

Cats/Dogs

Wool

Grass(es)

Some trees

BUT, we can be happy every day that at least he is not currently allergic to wheat, dairy, or shellfish. That is something, right? And his numbers are going down for some of the allergies. So there is hope. Probably not for the eggs or peanuts or soy. Those most likely will never go away. But some of the others he may be able to tolerate more some day. Maybe.

Hoy carp! You poor things!

• Like 2

Do you guys ever feel like you go insane with school? Youngest is watching Daniel Tiger on the computer because oldest is watching Algebra videos on the tv. Older dd is talking incessantly to me while doing her MEP math, and I'm letting younger son sleep in because his chaos is easier to manage when I can 1:1 on him.  The dryer is going, my phone is chirping, and holy cow I just realized I haven't had caffeine yet. BRB.

Sorry, no.  I have an only.  I don't do laundry unless I have to.  I forget to turn my ringer on my phone back on after work.  Caffeine is on an IV drip.  (Well, it's not, but it may as well be.)  And when I don't feel like doing school, I make the kid sit next to me while I watch the political debates.  (He would have been on his iPad, but I had to appropriate it so that I could watch the debate.  Such is life.)

• Like 5

Because I became convinced of the Classical Education Model. I love it. Now.... I'm in an educational crisis because we don't classically homeschool. Well, we do Latin and Greek, and that's about all. My kids would rather just "get it done" and go on to other things, so we have devolved to a more boxed curriculum approach. And I spend my days thinking....why am I doing this? I could send the kids to the parochial school DS1 goes to and then I could have a cleaner house, join a ladies Bible Study, work in my garden more.... I'm really having a struggle here. I'm feeling like I need to do some soul searching and somehow adjust my expectations and let go of my dreams if I am going to continue to homeschool because I can't keep reading the articles in the Memoria Press catalog and get depressed like I am now.

• Like 1