Menu

Ignore this thread!

Well, of course you're perfect. Because ITT. :hat:

WTH is "sub-clinical hyperthyroidism"?

It means whenever you tell someone about problems you have they say "you might be hyperthyroid" which is like Hashimotos divided by 50: just mildly problematic. But then you go to the doctor and they say all your levels are normal, just lean to relax. And you are concerned since everyone on your dad's side actually has had hyperthyroid issues starting at around 50 and you think, bleh, I probably just have a really active thyroid.

Thank you, who would have thought scrubs could look glamorous?

I prefer knit, but I'll check these out.  Some of them look like they have a lot of stretch.

Thank you, who would have thought scrubs could look glamorous?

I prefer knit, but I'll check these out. Some of them look like they have a lot of stretch.

If you think about what a nurse does all day they've got to have some give. It's not like they sit around drinking coffee.

You can use them to make Hershey's Kiss cookies. You pull them out of the oven, and put the kisses in right away.  As the cookies cool, they will harden and the kisses *should* hold. They are a softer cookie, though.

Here's Hershey's version of GF peanut butter blossoms: http://www.hersheys.com/kisses/recipes/detail.aspx?id=96574&name=Gluten-Free-Peanut-Butter-Blossoms

• Like 2

You can use them to make Hershey's Kiss cookies. You pull them out of the oven, and put the kisses in right away.  As the cookies cool, they will harden and the kisses *should* hold. They are a softer cookie, though.

Here's Hershey's version of GF peanut butter blossoms: http://www.hersheys.com/kisses/recipes/detail.aspx?id=96574&name=Gluten-Free-Peanut-Butter-Blossoms

Thanks for the recipe!!!  I don't have all of those ingredients, so we can't make those this afternoon.

I might be able to get dh and dd11 and dd9 to make them for me sometime.  They like to bake.  (I don't.)

3 ingredients is about my speed.  :)

Jean has maligned the good name of SWB and should probably make a public apology, in the newspaper or something.

Jean has hired Tex to do it for her. 

My apologies.  I shouldn't have said anything about curriculum.  I have used very little curriculum in my 13 years of homeschooling and don't really know much about it. 

• Like 1

I don't know what Jean said but I'll never use WWE/FLL because they're scripted. I tried 100 EZ and thought well I'm never doing anything like that ever again. <3 Miquon, <3 SWR/RLTL, <3 TWSS (hope it works for us), don't <3 scripted. At all. I felt like I never knew what I was doing and I looked like a fool in front of my child. I want to learn the method and apply it. Which is a bummer because RightStart looks so yummy.

• Like 2

Gotta go.  Was about to start dividing fish to take to the shop that agreed to take them, and got a call from BIL.  Surprise!  He's been laid off.  NO ONE where he worked expected it to reach his department, and NO ONE expected HE would ever be let go.  He's been too valuable.  

Must go be supportive family, and then maybe take fish to the store.

Just got back from the dr. No ear infection and strep test was negative. So, basically, dd just has the "fake strep" virus going around. Looks like strep, feels like strep, but isn't strep, so no meds for you!  
Pretty crummy. :( 
But, her fever has stayed really low today, so maybe hers will be short-lived. 

• Like 1

Just got back from the dr. No ear infection and strep test was negative. So, basically, dd just has the "fake strep" virus going around. Looks like strep, feels like strep, but isn't strep, so no meds for you!

Oh, thanks for the info. I think that explains us. I've never had a sore throat like this. I'm keeping the kids supplied with crackers just in case they have sore throats too.

Help.

"ETA:  PS for Ellie:  "Subclinical" anything means that the patient is displaying symptoms, but has yet to reach the diagnostic criteria so go away and don't bother us until you are in crisis.OIC.  TYVM."

Ellie wrote the stuff in red.

I don't know what those stand for.

:o

Help.

"ETA: PS for Ellie: "Subclinical" anything means that the patient is displaying symptoms, but has yet to reach the diagnostic criteria so go away and don't bother us until you are in crisis.OIC. TYVM."

Ellie wrote the stuff in red.

I don't know what those stand for.

:o

Oh, I see. Thank you very much.

• Like 1

Sounds like a full enough day.  If you really feel you must get some housecleaning added to this list choose ONE from the following:

• empty the trash out of your car and put away any loose items (no vacuuming)
  • go to your kitchen or other junk stash and throw away 5 items that are cluttering it up
  • go switch our your toothbrush (or toothbrush head if you use an electric toothbrush) and THROW OUT THE OLD GERMY ONE
  • sit down with a cuppa and think purposefully about what needs to happen over the next several days -- give yourself 15 minutes for this, whether you think you need that long or not.  Sit, stay, and drink your coffee/tea/cocoa/whathaveyou.  You will remember more this way.
  • go tell your kids you need hugs and insist on getting them RIGHT NOW.  (Okay, this one can be paired up with another, but you should do at least this one)

I really like this list!  I think I need someone like you around every day to help organize and motivate me.

Can you just double/triple in the same bowl?  Or do you have to mix each batch separately?

Also, do you know if you can use these to make the Hershey's kiss cookies?

I would double in the same bowl.  We made these frequently because they are gf..  I think they will be fine with kisses.

Jean has hired Tex to do it for her. 

My apologies.  I shouldn't have said anything about curriculum.  I have used very little curriculum in my 13 years of homeschooling and don't really know much about it. 

I have a rough draft of the apology ready for review before sending it to the Associated Press, People magazine, the New York Times, and Curriculum Basher, Inc.

I don't know what Jean said but I'll never use WWE/FLL because they're scripted. I tried 100 EZ and thought well I'm never doing anything like that ever again. <3 Miquon, <3 SWR/RLTL, <3 TWSS (hope it works for us), don't <3 scripted. At all. I felt like I never knew what I was doing and I looked like a fool in front of my child. I want to learn the method and apply it. Which is a bummer because RightStart looks so yummy.

WWE was the most hated curriculum we ever used.  I didn't mind it, but my kids hated it.  I like FLL just fine because it is a simple enough introduction to grammar for lower elementary kids.  I do not have the mental energy for MCT and such.  Old and tired.  Plus, I like the poetry memorization and parts of speech chants.  I think people either love or hate scripted.  I don't mind it.  Maybe if I had started planning to homeschool when my kids were in the womb I would have been more into creating my own stuff.  As it is, my favorite thing to do is take other people's stuff and tweak it.  That's kinda cool to me.

#ramblingthoughtsaboutcurriculum

• Like 6

Oh, thanks for the info. I think that explains us. I've never had a sore throat like this. I'm keeping the kids supplied with crackers just in case they have sore throats too.

Yeah, I had it a couple of months ago. It was worse than any strep I'd ever had, honestly. Just took a lot of ibuprofen for pain and slept. 

Just gargle with salt water. That's about all you can do besides ibuprofen. 

• Like 2

Also, FWIW, I even manage to tweak straightforward, scripted curriculum. :lol:

No. I'm dyslexic. Reading is hard. It will never not be hard. Let me learn it in my own time and present it the way I want. Maybe that's why I'm such a fan of Hunter's ONE math curriculum, ONE language arts curriculum etc. quote. I don't have the patience to teach Strayer Upton AND Beast Academy AND RightStart. I'm just not doing that. I know many do, but not me.

Hey! I resemble that remark!!

I wasn't thinking about anybody in particular, but when someone tells me that they can't bake I think "You can mix three ingredients." ;)

It's also something that most people with children have all of the ingredients for at all times.

I wasn't thinking about anybody in particular, but when someone tells me that they can't bake I think "You can mix three ingredients." ;)

It's also something that most people with children have all of the ingredients for at all times.

;)  I can bake (I think) but I hate it.  I would actually rather clean a bathroom.  (Which I also hate.)

And, we did have to get a new jar of peanut butter at the store, because to keep the cookies gluten-free, it has to be a fresh (not contaminated with bread crumbs) jar of peanut butter.

;) I can bake (I think) but I hate it. I would actually rather clean a bathroom. (Which I also hate.)

And, we did have to get a new jar of peanut butter at the store, because to keep the cookies gluten-free, it has to be a fresh (not contaminated with bread crumbs) jar of peanut butter.

Well the next time you have to bake something come over to my house and clean my bathroom and I'll make you whatever you need. I rock peanut butter cookies, Rice Krispie oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, brownies, banana bread, zucchini bread, flourless cake. It's all very fattening.

• Like 2

Well the next time you have to bake something come over to my house and clean my bathroom and I'll make you whatever you need. I rock peanut butter cookies, Rice Krispie oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, brownies, banana bread, zucchini bread, flourless cake. It's all very fattening.

Oh, and Oreo truffles.

Sounds yummy!!

• Like 1

I'm glad it's not strep, and glad her fever is lower.  Crossing fingers she gets well very soon!

• Like 1

I'm having the kind of day that makes me want to bolt up to the top of the nearest hill, screech for a while, then come back down and smash up some things for additional stress relief.

Typical 12 year old boy antics are to blame. 

I can share my mom's rum ball recipe if you like.  It requires pulverizing a lot of vanilla wafers!  And it has rum.

• Like 1

I really like this list!  I think I need someone like you around every day to help organize and motivate me.

I would double in the same bowl.  We made these frequently because they are gf..  I think they will be fine with kisses.

I have a rough draft of the apology ready for review before sending it to the Associated Press, People magazine, the New York Times, and Curriculum Basher, Inc.

WWE was the most hated curriculum we ever used.  I didn't mind it, but my kids hated it.  I like FLL just fine because it is a simple enough introduction to grammar for lower elementary kids.  I do not have the mental energy for MCT and such.  Old and tired.  Plus, I like the poetry memorization and parts of speech chants.  I think people either love or hate scripted.  I don't mind it.  Maybe if I had started planning to homeschool when my kids were in the womb I would have been more into creating my own stuff.  As it is, my favorite thing to do is take other people's stuff and tweak it.  That's kinda cool to me.

#ramblingthoughtsaboutcurriculum

Glad I could be of help!  Priorities, you know.  You must remember that you must take care of yourself first, so you can stay in decent condition for dealing with the rest.  You had a loaded day listed, so if you really must add housework then make it short and something usually overlooked.  Short makes it more doable, and usually overlooked makes it feel more like an accomplishment.

I approve the draft of Jean's apology.  Send it out!

(What was Jean apologizing for?)

• Like 1

No. I'm dyslexic. Reading is hard. It will never not be hard. Let me learn it in my own time and present it the way I want. Maybe that's why I'm such a fan of Hunter's ONE math curriculum, ONE language arts curriculum etc. quote. I don't have the patience to teach Strayer Upton AND Beast Academy AND RightStart. I'm just not doing that. I know many do, but not me.

I understand.  Our needs are very different.  Also, I carry grammar, spelling, sentence structure, literature analysis terms and all things language arts inside my head.  I use curricula starting early and often, but much of what my kids learn is in context and organically from living with a language arts nut.  

I think Hunter's lists of free/easy to use curricula are really cool.  Again, if I were just starting out and not closer to finishing up and not so old and tired, I would be all over it.  I find myself low energy and very relieved to outsource most of high school.  

ETA:  On my old and tired post, a very Merry Booya(h) to you all!

We wish you a Merry Booya(h)!

We wish you a Merry Booya(h)!

We wish you a Merry Booya(h) and a Happy Booya(h)!

That is as much trouble as I'm willing to go to.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 6

Actually, my kids don't like peanut butter so we don't keep it around.  Otherwise I WOULD have the usual ingredients.

My niece is allergic to cinnamon, so we are all careful about it now.  I threw away some old cinnamon we still had around from before knowing about her allergy.  I have also been researching what to do when cinnamon is a no-no, and the usual advice is to add extra nutmeg.  She likes nutmeg!

• Like 1

I baked a cheesecake today. Sadly, I don't get to eat any of it. It's for DH and his office.

You didn't taste it?  You let it out of the house without any quality check?  Office cheesecakes aren't supposed to arrive intact!  They are supposed to be missing a forkful or two for these very reasons!

• Like 1