Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'm very natural. 

I never worry about it anymore.  I hate make-up and I have hair that doesn't take a perm so I don't bother to try with that, either.  Since I'm no longer dying my hair to hide the gray I look younger to people again.  They are back to thinking I'm ten years younger than I am.  I think it's because my hair goes better with my face.  When it was dyed all one color (dark brown, as close to natural as the stylist could get) my face's accrued character made me look older-trying-to-look-younger (people thought I was a couple of years older than I am).  With the natural gray streaking through people think I'm young with artfully grayed hair.

Who would have thought?  Had I realized that would be the effect I would have stopped bothering to color my hair years earlier.

• Like 1

Por eso la gente en Nuevo Mexico no les gusta la gente de Texas. Y no eres estupida. No mas, recuerdas que cuando vienes a visitarme, dice farolitos.

So, "farolitos" is lanterns and "luminarias" is guns?  I used an online translator for the lines of Spanish I saw.  I'm not sure if it translated correctly.  Word order was suspect in the English translation.

Okay, this online translator is weird.  If I type in "faralito" it translates to "faralito" in English.  If I type in the s to make "faralitos" it translates to "lanterns".  When I try "lanterns" in English it translates to "linternas" in Spanish.  "Luminarias" in Spanish translated to "lights" in English, but "lights" in English translated to "luces" in Spanish.

I wish it would make up its mind.

Edited by AMJ

I need to wrap just a couple of gifts and get them ready to ship tomorrow. For some reason the thought of doing it makes me panic a bit. Maybe it's sleep deprivation. Or maybe the wrapping paper is plotting against me.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

I'm not sure it's that.  Maybe you are catching my eternal problem with getting things addressed and sent.

I never worry about it anymore.  I hate make-up and I have hair that doesn't take a perm so I don't bother to try with that, either.  Since I'm no longer dying my hair to hide the gray I look younger to people again.  They are back to thinking I'm ten years younger than I am.  I think it's because my hair goes better with my face.  When it was dyed all one color (dark brown, as close to natural as the stylist could get) my face's accrued character made me look older-trying-to-look-younger (people thought I was a couple of years older than I am).  With the natural gray streaking through people think I'm young with artfully grayed hair.

Who would have thought?  Had I realized that would be the effect I would have stopped bothering to color my hair years earlier.

Having darker hair as you age is very aging.  Ladies are supposed to go lighter as they age if they want to cover gray and stay one color.  I have highlights to accomplish this.

• Like 2

Sick babies make me sad. :( 
It's no wonder dd wanted me to stay home with her today. I picked her up from daycare and she was running a fever. She's up to 103 right now. 
She usually does this when she has an ear infection, so I will be taking her to the dr tomorrow to double check. Poor kiddo - and the absolute worst time for me to have a sick day, but she comes first. 

• Like 3

Having darker hair as you age is very aging.  Ladies are supposed to go lighter as they age if they want to cover gray and stay one color.  I have highlights to accomplish this.

But then nothing matched my eyebrows and I looked like I was trying unsuccessfully to color my hair lighter.  Besides, my own brown is a VERY lovely shade that cannot be duplicated artificially, and I can let it shine through if I let the gray show.  

• Like 1

Sick babies make me sad. :( 

It's no wonder dd wanted me to stay home with her today. I picked her up from daycare and she was running a fever. She's up to 103 right now. 

She usually does this when she has an ear infection, so I will be taking her to the dr tomorrow to double check. Poor kiddo - and the absolute worst time for me to have a sick day, but she comes first. 

I'm sorry. Don't forget about the grape juice. Hugs to her.

Do y'all remember when ITT broke the internet?

Yeah. Pretty sure that was me and AMJ.

• Like 3

But then nothing matched my eyebrows and I looked like I was trying unsuccessfully to color my hair lighter.  Besides, my own brown is a VERY lovely shade that cannot be duplicated artificially, and I can let it shine through if I let the gray show.  

I like salt and pepper, but my salt is too much 

Edited by texasmama

I'm sorry. Don't forget about the grape juice. Hugs to her.

No cough, but I am definitely filing that tip for later. 

She says "I hab a feber and my belly is bery big and it does not feel dood." 

No idea what she means by her belly is very big; but considering she has only eaten 2 yogurts today, I'm saying it means she doesn't feel good. 

• Like 1

Today literally the only work related thing I did was assure somebody that no, the spam email they received was not a virus, just an annoying sales pitch from a lousy vendor trying to drum up cold contacts using our domain. SIgh. 

8 hours worth of pay, though, because salary!

Yes, I know it sounds like something someone shouldn't complain about.

:-P

• Like 1

So, "farolitos" is lanterns and "luminarias" is guns?  I used an online translator for the lines of Spanish I saw.  I'm not sure if it translated correctly.  Word order was suspect in the English translation.

Okay, this online translator is weird.  If I type in "faralito" it translates to "faralito" in English.  If I type in the s to make "faralitos" it translates to "lanterns".  When I try "lanterns" in English it translates to "linternas" in Spanish.  "Luminarias" in Spanish translated to "lights" in English, but "lights" in English translated to "luces" in Spanish.

I wish it would make up its mind.

No, luminarias is not guns. You didn't read the link I posted, did you? All the translations you listed are right. Remember words in context. Now, go read the link.

No idea what she means by her belly is very big; but considering she has only eaten 2 yogurts today, I'm saying it means she doesn't feel good. 

:sad:

:grouphug:  for you and baby.  I fear barfies in your near future.

• Like 1

We just did fever, vomiting and sore throat at our house.

Does she have gas? It can make a belly feel big.

:(

I remember reading somewhere of a parent/child team where the parent started the painting, and the kid finished it, or something like that, and they were wildly popular.  It could work.

Once it's already been done, less so, but maybe. :)

My illness makes me look about ten years older.  Or at least that is dh's opinion.   He's not trying to be mean by saying that - he's just very truthful. 

• Like 1

So, I'm considering teaching a (or more) Spanish course(s) from home next year. I don't know how to teach Spanish to those that don't know it. The closest I've come is this year doing a conversation course with mostly high school students, in which I'm mostly facilitating. I don't know anything about learn-Spanish curriculum or how to teach grammar. My current class we are learning the grammar and vocabulary through the various topics they have chosen. Basically, I know how to teach Spanish to Spanish speakers (prek through adult) because that's what Ive done the past few years.

So why even consider it? I'm thinking a literature-based class, and learning through books. Of course, that would be a higher-level course. Or, even a CLEP-prep course, as I may be doing that with dd16 this upcoming semester. I can also do a conversation class to run alongside the class(es) I do. 

The company says they are looking for Spanish teachers for all ages though, so I'm not sure how that idea would work. I can do lower-level stuff too, but nothing grammar-based. I just don't know it that well. I'd have to study. Who has time for that???

If ya'll could choose a live online Spanish class, what would you want to see in it? There are a lot of grammar-based options out there, so perhaps something different is needed. If you'd like grammar however, say so as well.

OK so temporary hair highlight spray? Who knew it was hair chalk in aerosol form? I didn't know that. Well it is.

So anyhow I got it all over the silicone nose on my Chewbacca mask and now I'm having a HECK of a time getting it back off again.

Also in my lungs, but that is not as concerning because it is not ruining my Chewbacca mask!!!!!!

For a 3rd or 4th year lit class, I would want it to be one semester (so I could take a second semester of grammar). I would want to see an improvement in being able to express more complex ideas coherently. I read books by Allende my senior year of high school 4 days a week and then spoke with my teacher on Fridays. I was her only 4th yr Spanish student. It worked out well. I was required to keep a written journal as well.

• Like 1

So, I'm considering teaching a (or more) Spanish course(s) from home next year. I don't know how to teach Spanish to those that don't know it. The closest I've come is this year doing a conversation course with mostly high school students, in which I'm mostly facilitating. I don't know anything about learn-Spanish curriculum or how to teach grammar. My current class we are learning the grammar and vocabulary through the various topics they have chosen. Basically, I know how to teach Spanish to Spanish speakers (prek through adult) because that's what Ive done the past few years.

So why even consider it? I'm thinking a literature-based class, and learning through books. Of course, that would be a higher-level course. Or, even a CLEP-prep course, as I may be doing that with dd16 this upcoming semester. I can also do a conversation class to run alongside the class(es) I do. 

The company says they are looking for Spanish teachers for all ages though, so I'm not sure how that idea would work. I can do lower-level stuff too, but nothing grammar-based. I just don't know it that well. I'd have to study. Who has time for that???

If ya'll could choose a live online Spanish class, what would you want to see in it? There are a lot of grammar-based options out there, so perhaps something different is needed. If you'd like grammar however, say so as well.

I've taught English in Japan and I've taught Japanese in the U.S.  I tend to teach sentence patterns.  So "What is this?"  "This is a ________"  (learn different nouns usually in categories).  Then we learn some verbs in a "What are you doing?"  "I am ________ing" type of pattern."  We learn numbers as we learn to give phone numbers or addresses.  We learn how to order off of a menu etc.  A lot of language programs use this approach.  As you go along you might notice some grammatical patterns but it isn't taught directly. 

• Like 2

OK so temporary hair highlight spray? Who knew it was hair chalk in aerosol form? I didn't know that. Well it is.

So anyhow I got it all over the silicone nose on my Chewbacca mask and now I'm having a HECK of a time getting it back off again.

Also in my lungs, but that is not as concerning because it is not ruining my Chewbacca mask!!!!!!

shampoo?  I would test a small spot to make sure it doesn't hurt the silicone. 

I hate Christmas shopping. I hate it! I hate it! There! I said it! I hate going to the mall. I can't go to the mall. I have 4 kids. Actually 5, but one of them is at school during the day. I hate doing it on line. I don't know what my kids like to do. Isn't that strange? Right now, they are waiting for me to get off the iPad and get on with school and all 4 are playing some little game they made up. Which is great! But how can I buy that on Amazon? I finally got the boys bought for, now it's just my little girls! Sigh! And time is fleeting. I've got to get this done, soon!

And Booya! Humbug Booyah!

Points for quoting myself!

I'm done! Spent all afternoon on-line and I'm done!

And I'm sorry about sick kids!

And I agree, older women do need to go lighter!

And I'm not a huge fan of Barry Manilow!

And I never could learn languages. Except English, when I was a mere tot.

• Like 1

No, luminarias is not guns. You didn't read the link I posted, did you? All the translations you listed are right. Remember words in context. Now, go read the link.

I'm sorry, I had forgotten about it while we were at Aikido.  I just read it, thank you.  

• Like 1

:grouphug:  for you and baby.  I fear barfies in your near future.

Why would you speak those words into my life? NO NO NO!!  :crying:  :crying:  :crying: 

We haven't had vomiting since she was 1, so over 2 years now. I really don't want to start tonight.

We just did fever, vomiting and sore throat at our house.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no! I'm in denial!!  :leaving: 

How are you all feeling now? Hope everyone is on the mend. 

Does she have gas? It can make a belly feel big.

She had horrid gas last night. Like knock you over bad. Hasn't had any today though, but I have wondered if maybe she's constipated? 

Seriously, though. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets sick later tonight. One of the boys at her preschool had a fever from Tuesday-Thursday last week. His mom and I teach together and her other son just got it and she's running a fever now too. :(  

We've mainly had a sharp pain and nausea stomach bug going around. Not a lot of action, but you feel horribly crummy. I really don't want her to have either. They're both miserable. 

But, on the plus side, with a bit of ibuprofen, her fever is down to 100 from 103. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 2

I wasn't wearing make up at 3 years old.  ;)  It is that old Kodachrome coloring.  (You're too young to remember that)  That and the whole kimono thing of course. 

I still have my kimono and my brother's toe socks, brought back by my Dad from Japan when I was two and DB was 4.  I don't know how I ended up with just my kimono and HIS toe socks.  We each had both (or whatever you call the boy's version).  I don't know what happened to my toe socks and his kimono.

• Like 1

:grouphug: for you and baby. I fear barfies in your near future.

Oy, I first read this as "I fear barFLIES in your near future." And they are so young...

A Booya Tooya!

This booyah is dedicated to babes with sick tummies and all the dedicated ITTers who have managed to get caught up on today's mega postings.

And our various holiday songs...

Deck the halls with booya, hooyah!

Falalalala!

This the season to be Booyah!

Falalalala! All alfalfa!

Fah lah lah lah Booyah!

"Booyah bells, Booyah bells,

Booyah all the way!

Oh what fun it is to Booyah

in a one horse open Booo-yah!"

Booya Bells! Booya Bells!

Booya all the way!

Oh, what fun it is to Booya

On a night just like today!

Booyah bells, Booyah bells,

Booyah all the way!

Oh what fun it is to Booyah,

or booya Slashe's way!

Booya bells, booya bells,

Ringing in my head.

Oh, what fun it is

To write

A silly song like this!

Booya bells!

Booya bells!

Ringing in my head!

I really need to get to editing

Because if I get fired I'll be dead!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 11

I would want lots of opportunity to both hear and speak Spanish.  Reading and writing can be studied as homework quite easily without anyone else around if need be (though the student does need to see and hear words together, too, to make the right connections between spoken and written), but learning to hear and speak it in return requires live practice (not just repeating back what recordings say).  Students need to learn how to understand the words in regular use, spoken by a variety of people, often not using the perfect grammar and diction of the materials studied.  No matter how the class is organized, it won't teach the students much if they can't practice hearing and speaking in actual conversation and dialog.

I really got into a show called El Internado de la Laguna Negra (if I haven't forgotten something in the name), basically the Black Lagoon Boarding School.  It's a show out of Spain that I came across on Netflix.  They had English subtitles so I could really enjoy the story, but hearing the Spanish (Castilian, I think) spoken over and over was starting to give me a clue -- I thought I was actually starting to pick up some of the phrasing near the end.  Ordinarily I would have trouble picking individual words apart because I was unused to the syllabication, but I was starting to get the hang of it despite their rapid speech.  Watching shows like this can really help someone who is struggling with the hearing part get in more practice.  I personally think we can't learn to effectively speak a language without learning how to hear the language, and the hearing at times has to be a little ahead of the speaking.

• Like 4