Menu

Ignore this thread!

I understand.  Our needs are very different.  Also, I carry grammar, spelling, sentence structure, literature analysis terms and all things language arts inside my head.  I use curricula starting early and often, but much of what my kids learn is in context and organically from living with a language arts nut.  

I think Hunter's lists of free/easy to use curricula are really cool.  Again, if I were just starting out and not closer to finishing up and not so old and tired, I would be all over it.  I find myself low energy and very relieved to outsource most of the boys' classes in high school.  This way, I can focus my energy on little dd.  Fourth grade is not above my pay grade.

How did you gain that skill?

You didn't taste it?  You let it out of the house without any quality check?  Office cheesecakes aren't supposed to arrive intact!  They are supposed to be missing a forkful or two for these very reasons!

Shhh! Nobody is supposed to know what happened to those edges. Cracked off in the oven, I tell you!

• Like 3

BIL is going to keep the loss of his job a secret from his kids until after the holidays.  He wants them to ENJOY Christmas and their presents, not feel guilty or greedy for wanting them, or try to return them to "save the money".  He had the holidays scheduled as vacation, so his being home won't be suspicious, at least.  The company is paying him through the end of the year plus reimbursing him for the unused vacation, and SIL has always been adamant about having an emergency fund, so they are okay for now.  He promised they would let us know if they need help before he finds more work.

I'm relieved, but still angry on BIL's part.  I understand the company is cutting costs and they let go the employee who gets paid more, but I think that will prove to bite them in the long run.  He saved them lots of money over the years, and his back-fill isn't up to that yet.

• Like 6

Actually, I'm thinking about having the two offending imps do my housekeeping for the day. Because mean.

(It's just sweeping and mopping the living room, which they messed up anyway...)

That's just cleaning up the mess they made, not doing housework.  Make them do the dishes, too.

• Like 2

How did you gain that skill?

Evidently one must trade in all of one's math abilities.   :laugh:

I've always been stellar and gifted at language arts.  I remember these things.  They are interesting to me.  They make sense.  

The same with medical facts.  

I picture my brain as a huge filing cabinet with many folders.  Some are really small so only a few things fit (like the math one).  Others are huge so as much stuff in that category as I can pick up will stay in there.

I had a great English teacher for my last two years of high school.  It was AP English and very college-prep.  But I was language arts-oriented long before that.  I was creatively writing from a very early age.  Spelling and punctuation come easily to me.  I also have a journalism and editing background.  I was a section editor (paid position) of my college yearbook one year.  I had a volunteer staff of one writer.  Introduced her to my ex-boyfriend Rodney, and they got married, divorced and then remarried.  But I digress.  I was also paid to edit at-home CEU courses and exams some years back.  I enjoy editing.  It's just how my brain is wired.  I really take no credit for it.

I don't think it's a skill so much as a gift.  I have honed it through the years, but I am just bent that way.  One of my students handed me two paragraphs to look at during our last class meeting, and I quickly edited it, added a comma, subtracted one and called it good.  His mom sits in on the class and asked me what part of speech a word was, and I was able to identify it as an adverb.  I will say that studying FLL and Rod and Staff grammar with my kids has helped me to stay fresh.  

• Like 2

BIL is going to keep the loss of his job a secret from his kids until after the holidays.  He wants them to ENJOY Christmas and their presents, not feel guilty or greedy for wanting them, or try to return them to "save the money".  He had the holidays scheduled as vacation, so his being home won't be suspicious, at least.  The company is paying him through the end of the year plus reimbursing him for the unused vacation, and SIL has always been adamant about having an emergency fund, so they are okay for now.  He promised they would let us know if they need help before he finds more work.

I'm relieved, but still angry on BIL's part.  I understand the company is cutting costs and they let go the employee who gets paid more, but I think that will prove to bite them in the long run.  He saved them lots of money over the years, and his back-fill isn't up to that yet.

This is a sad and familiar story for so many people.  Companies have no loyalty or foresight.  I wish him a speedy job search which ends in a better job than this one.

• Like 5

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of downsizing/job loss/job insecurity right around Christmas? It seems that way to me, but maybe it's not actually the case.

Here in Texas, lots of folks have been recently affected by the downward trend of the gas industry.  One man lost his job and another has lost a good part of his contract income.  Both have families and are the main financial support.

This is a sad and familiar story for so many people.  Companies have no loyalty or foresight.  I wish him a speedy job search which ends in a better job than this one.

We are hoping he gets on with a certain company that is just minutes away from my house and maybe 20 minutes' commute from his.  Until today he had a 90+ minute commute (one way).

• Like 4

Everyone is super chatty. Every time I think I am caught up, we add another page, lol.

In summary,

I could read about 1/2 to 3/4 of what Renai was saying in Spanish. That made it pretty funny. That is all I have left from my years through AP Spanish in high school. I took Russian in college to change things up. I remember 2-3 words of that.

We have determined that Tex is both hot and very accomplished today. Yay

For prairie on makeup, this year I changed it up a bit because getting older. I use mostly Bobbi brown with bare minerals eyebrow drawing powder:-) I use a moisturizer from a natural foods store here. I think the brand is Andalau. It is the first one that doesn't make me break out other than the Acure brand :hurray: Base is Bobbi Brown (I need a base because one of the medications I was on a few years ago was sun reactive and I didn't know that, so I have a few spots that I hate. If it weren't for those, I would be much less inclined to wear base because my skin is pretty good otherwise. I just started blush on a regular basis and added a highlight from BB because I was looking sallow. Never wore either much before.

Lest you think I have amped the makeup up so much that I look like a clown, I have toned back my eye makeup quite a bit. And I wear a tawny rose type lipstick that separates my face but doesn't scream lips.

All of what I wear is pretty understated. Most people claim they think I wear very little makeup:-) That is my goal.

• Like 4

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of downsizing/job loss/job insecurity right around Christmas? It seems that way to me, but maybe it's not actually the case.

As companies struggle through the year they try various measures, some successfully and some not.  Usually in the final quarter of the year certain budgetary goals become more crucial to be met, and the time in which to meet them drastically short.  The time deadline for getting things below certain financial lines is the end of the year.  The companies keep the employees on as long as they can, and then let them go shortly before the holidays.  It looks and feels stinky, but that's just the timing of it.  The lucky ones at least get something of a severance package so they can afford to get through the holidays, at least.

BIL's company has been going through successive rounds of lay-offs over the past several months.  Everyone he knew thought that things were reaching the end and that while his department would have to give up certain projects for this year they at least could keep the bare-bones staff they had.  Nope, instead the highest-paid employee in his department (him) got picked by corporate to be let go.  He wasn't the only employee in this round, just the biggest surprise.

Gotta go.  Was about to start dividing fish to take to the shop that agreed to take them, and got a call from BIL.  Surprise!  He's been laid off.  NO ONE where he worked expected it to reach his department, and NO ONE expected HE would ever be let go.  He's been too valuable.  

Must go be supportive family, and then maybe take fish to the store.

That sucks.  I don't wish layoffs on anyone.  :(

• Like 1

All of what I wear is pretty understated. Most people claim they think I wear very little makeup:-) That is my goal.

I think we have a similar style.

When going somewhere I care about, a "full face of make up" is : a CC cream from Aveeno, regular foundation under eyes, a light blush, eyebrows gel/powder, eyeliner pencil on bottom, mascara, and mauve/tan lip gloss/stick.  I rarely wear eye shadow.  Usually only for a big party at night.  (See how I need help with the eyebrows?)

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 7

I wasn't thinking about anybody in particular, but when someone tells me that they can't bake I think "You can mix three ingredients." ;)

It's also something that most people with children have all of the ingredients for at all times.

Unfortunately I am part of the 1.4% who do not have peanut butter in the house.

• Like 1

Oh, and the girls and I delivered the two frolicsome mollies and their first batch of offspring to the fish store.  The second batch of babies moved back to the main tank -- the pleco, cories, and neons won't bother them.  This set of babies will be delivered to the store in about two months.

Now I need to get presents arranged for my Dad and Sis.  Sis is easy -- Amazon gift cards are very welcome there and can be emailed to her.  Dad requires actual gift certificates (Barnes & Noble), snail-mailed.  Our local Barnes & Noble is only reachable just before opening, or after a 2-mile walk.  They are in the fancy-pants part of our mall, where the only nearby parking is reserved for the valets, so one has to park blocks away OR hike through the entire crammed mall OR get to one of the few parking spots available before the store even opens.  I'm not looking forward to it.

• Like 1

When going somewhere I care about, a "full face of make up" is : a CC cream from Aveeno, regular foundation under eyes, a light blush, eyebrows gel/powder, eyeliner pencil on bottom, mascara, and mauve/tan lip gloss/stick.  I rarely wear eye shadow.  Usually only for a big party at night.  (See how I need help with the eyebrows?)

Here is a pic of me at Thanksgiving with this make-up:

0af2623e-b569-48fc-8673-fcabd7974346_zps  (

Beautiful, but unfortunately a bit too much like DD11 in the exuberance of the hair.  I'm afraid if I meet you in person I'll be absentmindedly trying to pull your hair out of your face like I do to her.  *sheepish grin*

• Like 1

Whew - got through it.

Making cheesecake and not eating it is one of the saddest situations possible.

I know about 3 words in Russian as well, from when I went there in 1988. (It was the Soviet Union back then, for all you young 'uns.)

I love Russian/Polish/Italian/Swedish tea cakes, but wish there was a version that didn't contain nuts.

I managed to fit 3 violins, 2 cellos, a double bass, a stand case, a tall bass stool, and all 6 kids into the van today. It was a wonder to behold.

We are having Greek takeout for dinner. Because Greek food.

#greekfood

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 12

It's not Christmas, it's the end of the year. People are analyzing their fiscal years and deciding what they can and cannot afford the following year. So yes, everyone gets fired for Christmas.

• Like 1

Great look, Tex! Thx!

I am going to pick up a cc cream next, I think. The skin under my eyes is changing as it thins, and it shadows there more.

AMJ--sorry about your BIL. :(

I really love the Aveeno CC cream I got, and I have a bad time finding products that work with my coloring.  I bought some BB cream, and it was too dark but mostly looked like nothing.  I am looking for someone to give it to now.  Everything I buy is cheap drugstore stuff.  The other day I ordered some supplements from Drugstore.com and decided to add on a bunch of lipsticks/glosses to experiment.  They were all under $2 each.  I found one I really like the color of, kind of mauvey.  The ones I didn't like I gave to college girl.

Whew - got through it.

I know about 3 words in Russian as well, from when I went there in 1988. (It was the Soviet Union back then, for all you young 'uns.)

I love Russian/Polish/Italian/Swedish tea cakes, but wish there was a version that didn't contain nuts.

I managed to fit 3 violins, 2 cellos, a double bass, a stand case, a tall bass stool, and all 6 kids into the van today. It was a wonder to behold.

#greekfood

#greekfood

Jealous.

#greekfood

• Like 5

Hair in the face covers crows feet.

DD11 doesn't have crow's feet, and you look too much like her, so I'll habitually pull your hair away from your face, too.  Can't help it; certain habits are too thoroughly ingrained now.  I use Mom-voice on kids I don't even know at the park.  (Oops)  Thankfully their moms seldom if ever mind.

Besides, I don't believe you have crow's feet.   :001_tt2:

• Like 2

Whew - got through it.

#greekfood

I am impressed!  You earned the Greek food!

• Like 2

My skin used to have golden undertones--it's now more neutral. In some brands I even wear the cool toned stuff. I am also fair like you Tex with low contrast between eyes and hair. It *is* hard to find the right colors.

Try the e.l.f baked palette for eye shadow.

My fave lipstick right now is Dolly by Bare Minerals. It is very neutral but has lavender undertones. Unfortunately, not $2. My other standby is Burt's Bees peony.

• Like 1

Gotta go. Was about to start dividing fish to take to the shop that agreed to take them, and got a call from BIL. Surprise! He's been laid off. NO ONE where he worked expected it to reach his department, and NO ONE expected HE would ever be let go. He's been too valuable.

Must go be supportive family, and then maybe take fish to the store.

They treat people like dirt these days. Just find more or hire him back for less when he's desperate. That's been my experience and my partner's. And they say employees aren't loyal.

Sorry it's happening to him. :(

My skin used to have golden undertones--it's now more neutral. In some brands I even wear the cool toned stuff. I am also fair like you Tex with low contrast between eyes and hair. It *is* hard to find the right colors.

Try the e.l.f baked palette for eye shadow.

My fave lipstick right now is Dolly by Bare Minerals. It is very neutral but has lavender undertones. Unfortunately, not $2. My other standby is Burt's Bees peony.

Yes!  And not a red lipstick is made that will work for me.  I look like a clown or the Joker or something.

I like the Burt's Bees stuff, too.  I think peony is the color I have that I like.

So, like acne scars?

No, more like you are older and need something to cover sun damage, the small brown spots older ladies get.  (I have some.)

ETA:  IT's a brown spot BOOYA(H)!

Worst. booya(h). ever.

Have a Happy Booya(h), y'all! :hat:

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 7

When going somewhere I care about, a "full face of make up" is : a CC cream from Aveeno, regular foundation under eyes, a light blush, eyebrows gel/powder, eyeliner pencil on bottom, mascara, and mauve/tan lip gloss/stick. I rarely wear eye shadow. Usually only for a big party at night. (See how I need help with the eyebrows?)

Here is a pic of me at Thanksgiving with this make-up:

0af2623e-b569-48fc-8673-fcabd7974346_zps (

Yup, very similar. I think we actually wear the same lipstick lol.

You people need to take me shopping and teach me this stuff.

It is mostly trial and error.  It's easy when you are just buying drug store stuff.  My main goal at this stage is not to grossly embarrass myself. :lol:  

You have young skin with blue eyes and blond hair.  You don't need much but moisturizer with a sunscreen at this point.  Maybe a light lip gloss and some mascara.  I'll bet you are stunning with just a tiny bit of products.

• Like 3