Menu

Ignore this thread!

Beautiful, but unfortunately a bit too much like DD11 in the exuberance of the hair. I'm afraid if I meet you in person I'll be absentmindedly trying to pull your hair out of your face like I do to her. *sheepish grin*

I would kill for Tex's hair:-) I can only make my hair look full with lots and lots of work. It has gone the way of my eyebrows :lol:

• Like 1

It is mostly trial and error. It's easy when you are just buying drug store stuff. My main goal at this stage is not to grossly embarrass myself. :lol:

You have young skin with blue eyes and blond hair. You don't need much but moisturizer with a sunscreen at this point. Maybe a light lip gloss and some mascara. I'll bet you are stunning with just a tiny bit of products.

:wub:

This is the lip color I like most. It sounds brown, but it is really mauve. Dark colors don't look right on me, but this one is pretty subtle.

http://www.drugstore.com/wet-n-wild-natural-blend-lip-shimmer-cocoa-107/qxp406211

Pretty clean list of ingredients, too. I think I will order some more before it is discontinued.

My drugstore find is Neutrogena lip gloss. Works as good or better than any name brand I have ever used. And I, too, keep them all over the house. Even if I am in jammies, I have lip gloss on.

Dh has been asking for my Christmas list. I basically rip pages out of catalogs or email him links with links to whatever coupon codes I have in my email box. He always gets me things I like... Wonder why? Lol.

I would like Sorel boots, wool slippers and a pretty double ringed necklace from the sundance catalog, a hot chocolate pot and a shun chef's knife from Williams Sonoma, earbud holder from Levenger, and touchscreen gloves from J Crew. I will, of course, get only a few of those things, but it was very fun picking them out. Pretty things make me happy. I have basically no artistic ability but I am very moved by color and aesthetics. Go figure.

• Like 2

Oddly, I am not really into make up too much, which one would not know from today's convo. :leaving:

And again, yup.

I have people in our hs'ing circles that I am pretty convinced think I am totally high maintenance. The funny thing is I am completely the opposite. I can get ready faster than almost any man I know. I just know what looks good and stick with it. I also have figured out an equation for minimum effort, maximum results. This is where my left-brained nature comes in handy. Hair, makeup, clothes are all optimized. Bam, I am ready bed to door in about 20-25 min, including a shower.

When they get to know me, they are in awe. J/k:-)

• Like 4

I'm the same way, Heather... It's all about efficiency. Ain't nobody got time for an hour to wash, blow dry, and straighten hair let alone another 30 min for makeup.

I used to never need makeup. Now that I do, it's humbling. And I've got to figure out all of the things I should've learned as a teen. 

All right....time to go make dinner. After dinner: laminating picture labels for the toy bins in the girls' room. We just bought them the Kallax system from IKEA and I'm training them to keep their room clean.

• Like 3

And frankly, Tylenol sucks. :grouphug:

Agreed.

I figured it's an old recipe. It's just so great for people that "can't bake".

I need a vacation. It took me a minute to realize, Slache, that you weren't talking about Tylenol or ibuprofen! 

I thought you were saying Tylenol sucks because it's an old recipe for people who "can't bake"...aka: people who don't GET baked. 

:lol:

And, I've never really been around anyone who "gets baked" so I have no idea why that was my first thought. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 1

I need a vacation. It took me a minute to realize, Slache, that you weren't talking about Tylenol or ibuprofen!

I thought you were saying Tylenol sucks because it's an old recipe for people who "can't bake"...aka: people who don't GET baked.

:lol:

And, I've never really been around anyone who "gets baked" so I have no idea why that was my first thought.

Getting baked is legal here now. Would that make me feel better?

• Like 2

Yes. I am so helpless around it. I actually scoured the spanakopita take-out container for leftover bits of stuff and cheese after taking it out to warm in the oven.

On our way to California, the short person and I stopped at a Greek burger-type joint in Stateline, Nevada.  We got a baklava milkshake for the road to share.

OH.

MY.

WORD.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it.  :drool5:

• Like 4

Back in the day before some of you were even born, I learned to do seasonal color analysis. I am a Summer. Mr. Ellie is an Autumn. One of my dds is a Summer, one is a Winter. I only buy clothing in colors that are my season, and I only buy make-up in colors that are cool (as opposed to warm).

Even before then, I went somewhere--that particular factoid of my memory is buried way too deep for me to find it--and learned how to care for my skin: cleanse (with something made for skin, not Dove or Ivory or any other soap like that), tone, moisturize. I have never strayed from that routine.

I wear mascara and eyebrow stuff any time I leave the house. Other make-up...meh...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 8

I ought to go learn makeup. I never did it right as a teen, and never had the patience for it. I let somebody else worry about my hair for me--very freeing. I ought to go to somebody to figure out the makeup thing, because I could actually use some improvement.

I am the same way. I need to learn to really do my hair too. Never really got it all like my friends did. I was too much of a tomboy growing up.

• Like 2

Back in the day before some of you were even born, I learned to do seasonal color analysis. I am a Summer. Mr. Ellie is an Autumn. One of my dds is a Summer, one is a Winter. I only buy clothing in colors that are my season, and I only buy make-up in colors that are cool (as opposed to warm).

Even before then, I went somewhere--that particular factoid of my memory is buried way too deep for me to find it--and learned how to care for my skin: cleanse (with something made for skin, not Dove or Ivory or any other soap like that), tone, moisturize. I have never strayed from that routine.

I wear mascara and eyebrow stuff any time I leave the house. Other make-up...meh...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I had the Color Me Beautiful book as a teen back in the '80's, and it was somewhat helpful.  I think I am a Spring.  I can't wear pastels or I look dead.

• Like 2

The truth is I'm allergic or sensitive to just about everything, so I just look ugly. weeping.gif

Stop it.

I probably just go around looking ugly too. 

Stop it.

Oh stop. you don't look ugly, just natural.

THIS.

I think I look fine, but people always ask me if I'm sick. :(

It's because you have pale skin, but this is not  flaw.  Do not change.  :)

Me too.  Though I'm sure that you are exaggerating. 

Stop it.

• Like 5

Deep commentary on make-up.

It is a social construct.  It is a habit.  It is optional.

Everyone should take care of their skin, meaning cleanse it when needed, moisturize, and wear sunblock.

Not everyone must wear make-up.

Why I wear make-up:  I am not allergic so I can.  It is a habit I developed when a young teen.  It increases my confidence because it restores some of what aging has lost for me.  When I feel confident, I present myself better, which is helpful in some situations.

I do not do it for my husband.  He does not care.  I tell my daughters that make-up is optional.  I have friends who wear tons of make-up and friends who wear none.  It matters not one bit to me.

• Like 6

I had the Color Me Beautiful book as a teen back in the '80's, and it was somewhat helpful.  I think I am a Spring.  I can't wear pastels or I look dead.

Easy way to know if you're warm or cool:

Go to your friendly neighborhood department store that has a make-up counter. On one side of your face, do warm colors for lipstick and blush. On the other side, do cool colors for lipstick and blush. If you're a warm season, the cool colors will look awful; if you're a cool season, the warm colors will look awful.

If you're a Spring, you can wear orange, and lime green, and bright turquoise. If you're an Autumn, you can wear Century 21 gold, avocado green, and khaki brown..

• Like 1

Go to your friendly neighborhood department store that has a make-up counter. On one side of your face, do warm colors for lipstick and blush. On the other side, do cool colors for lipstick and blush. If you're a warm season, the cool colors will look awful; if you're a cool season, the warm colors will look awful.

If you're a Spring, you can wear orange, and lime green, and bright turquoise. If you're an Autumn, you can wear Century 21 gold, avocado green, and khaki brown..

I'm not an Autumn or Winter, for sure. I remember that.  I am either a Spring or a Summer.  I wear bright colors - turquoise, hot pink, grape purple.  I am not supposed to wear black, but I do, and I don't think it looks terrible on me.  What looks terrible is anything pastel and white.  

I don't ever go to the mall so I will rely on you to tell me what I am. :hat:

If I step into the way back machine, I seem to remember being a summer/spring mix. And bright turquoise is one of my favs. My aforementioned tortoise shell glasses have turquoise on the inside. It brightens my whole world:-)

• Like 1

I wear black and black eyeliner and black mascara and if I have a prominent zit or job interview, drugstore BB Cream.

I also don't use a blow drier or hair stuff.

But then... I am saving the big guns for age 50. If I start wearing rouge now I'll be a clown by 45!

• Like 2

If I step into the way back machine, I seem to remember being a summer/spring mix. And bright turquoise is one of my favs. My aforementioned tortoise shell glasses have turquoise on the inside. It brightens my whole world:-)

Sorry. There cannot be a mix. You are either one or t'other. If you can wear bright turquoise, then Spring it is.

• Like 1