• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Ugh, I fell down another black hole: TTC and TWSS. 🤦

17 minutes ago, Slache said:

I have both.

IEW Booya!

I'm just not sure if I have the intelligence and drive to understand and implement it if I make the investment and at that price, I can't afford for it not to work. I really want to move to more meaningful, enjoyable learning for Oldest and the youngers, too, when they start their journey, but the thought of upending what I know to try the unknown scares me. I really like the looks of many of IEW's products which is how I fell into this particular black hole to begin with. 🤣

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'm just not sure if I have the intelligence and drive to understand and implement it if I make the investment and at that price, I can't afford for it not to work. I really want to move to more meaningful, enjoyable learning for Oldest and the youngers, too, when they start their journey, but the thought of upending what I know to try the unknown scares me. I really like the looks of many of IEW's products which is how I fell into this particular black hole to begin with. 🤣

You have the intelligence, prolly not the drive.

IEW laid a great foundation for writing in this house. My plan was to use them forever, but he's grown passed it, so we're branching out and will staggar Clearwater Press, Writing With Skill and IEW. I don't think you need it and I don't think you'd like it.

I got TTC from the perspective of teaching writing, I know that sounds backwards. He loves books and teaching writing through informal reading analysis has been great for him. He doesn't even know what TTC is because I did it myself and used it to help myself discuss literature and writing. I don't think it's worth the money for most people.

I really love both programs, I just don't see you loving them.

• Like 3

I think I'm just looking at greener grass. I'll stick to what I know works and do what I can to make it more engaging and break it up by adding some more learning games/activities. There's a certain amount of comfort in knowing the routine and expectation and Oldest (all of them, actually) respond very well to 1:1 learning.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I think I'm just looking at greener grass. I'll stick to what I know works and do what I can to make it more engaging and break it up by adding some more learning games/activities. There's a certain amount of comfort in knowing the routine and expectation and Oldest (all of them, actually) respond very well to 1:1 learning.

Often times the greener grass is Johnson grass, which is poisonous after it rains. Sometimes you need to wait for everything to dry before you try something new.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/10/2022 at 1:37 PM, Susan in TN said:

So I got a bit of gardening done.  Planted the tubers that I got from Aldi a while back (the package said they were good until June, so fingers crossed).  4 o'clock flowers, columbines, and coneflowers.  I had 2 columbines and lost the second one - hopefully it just got planted in with the other one.  

I haven't seen 4 o'clocks since I was just a girl growing up in Virginia. I would love to plant some here in T, but I never see either seeds or seedlings.

• Like 4

Morning, Happy Tuesday.

We were kicked out of the house early today again.  They came to finish up the fireplace mantel, then the next few days they are doing dd's room.   So this afternoon we need to empty her room out completely.  Her room is bigger AND has more crap than ds's so it's going to be even more fun.  

I had my doctor's appointment today (first physical in 2 years, whoops) and everything looks good.  BP is a little high but evidently benedryl will do that, another whoops.   Doctor gave me a new script for a nasal spray antihistamine to try instead since all the oral medications either don't work (Claritan, Zyrtec) or make me psycho (Allegra).   I guess we'll see.

Since I was in the mood, I called to make my mammo appointment but it took them three tries to find the script and then it wasn't complete (I get US and mammo) so I'm just going to get a copy from the doctor myself and then make my appointment.

Made the appointment for the kids physicals.  Thought we'd be looking at October but we were able to get appointment in May.  Could have been next week if my schedule was more flexible.  That was a surprise, I usually need to schedule way ahead of time. 

Last but not least, I need to make a colonoscopy appointment.  My first.  Ugh.  I'm waiting for dh to tell me who he goes to and then I'll schedule that. 

I feel so productive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Morning! I'm lazing in bed with Little Man who is playing PBS Kids on my phone while I dither round here and rethink my plans. I really should go buy OPGTR and start teaching him to read for reals, but it's rainy outside and bed is comfy. 

People coming for dinner. I think we will have roasted baby potatoes, Swedish meatballs, broccoli, cranberry sauce (cause no lingon berries), and gravy? I'll let DD decide what she wants to do for dessert. probably lemon-blueberry cake with a lemon glaze.

And the hiring guy STILL hasn't responded to DH email. If you would mind praying that DH hears back with an interview soon, we would appreciate it.

Well, I better move it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

Morning, Happy Tuesday.

Since I was in the mood, I called to make my mammo appointment but it took them three tries to find the script and then it wasn't complete (I get US and mammo) so I'm just going to get a copy from the doctor myself and then make my appointment.

Made the appointment for the kids physicals.  Thought we'd be looking at October but we were able to get appointment in May.  Could have been next week if my schedule was more flexible.  That was a surprise, I usually need to schedule way ahead of time. 

Last but not least, I need to make a colonoscopy appointment.  My first.  Ugh.  I'm waiting for dh to tell me who he goes to and then I'll schedule that. 

I feel so productive.

I have to do all this, too. I'm putting it off.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I thought adobo was a seasoning, not a meal.🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Abodo is a seasoning as well a way of preparing food using abodo seasoning. I have only had chicken and didn't care for it.

Filipino adobo is different from the adobo used in hispanic cooking. Though I assume the name came from when they were occupied by Spain. 

https://greatist.com/eat/what-is-the-difference-between-mexican-and-filipino-adobo

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

Morning! I'm lazing in bed with Little Man who is playing PBS Kids on my phone while I dither round here and rethink my plans. I really should go buy OPGTR and start teaching him to read for reals, but it's rainy outside and bed is comfy. 

People coming for dinner. I think we will have roasted baby potatoes, Swedish meatballs, broccoli, cranberry sauce (cause no lingon berries), and gravy? I'll let DD decide what she wants to do for dessert. probably lemon-blueberry cake with a lemon glaze.

And the hiring guy STILL hasn't responded to DH email. If you would mind praying that DH hears back with an interview soon, we would appreciate it.

Well, I better move it.

Are you going to wait and buy the new revised edition with separate student reader? It doesn't release until June. 

Huh, I know this info... Maybe I do need an intervention. 🙄🙃🤣

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wheres Toto said:

We have to schedule the next physical as soon as we are done with an appointment.  And even then they are scheduling 13 months out.  It's a mess.

• Like 4

Good morning!

There was a noisy storm that woke us all up this morning, but it's all passed by now.

Speaking of annual physicals, I brought two of the kids in for theirs this morning.  I really like our doctor and her office is 5 minutes from our house.  If the weather is good I will walk there.  But it is tough to get in and woe be unto thee if you need to change your appointment!

As soon as ds17 gets home from his cello lesson I am going to the Depot of Homes and the Lobby of Hobby.  It's the last session of my grief group tonight, though I think we might all go out for dinner at some point.

Coffee!

• Like 4

I don't like my call sign (it's about as cute as "Sputnik") and have applied for a different one.

DS and I did some yard work. Unfortunately, yard waste is only picked up every other week (was weekly before Covid) & we were able to mostly fill all of our bins in less than an hour.

I emailed the flooring guy.

Next up:

• Email scout camp again, because they never answered.
  • Look through the manuals and play with the radios I'm borrowing.
  • Take DS to tennis.
  • Dinner (DH will cook)
  • virtual meeting
  • Place grocery order for Thursday

Edited by 73349
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, 73349 said:

I don't like my call sign (it's about as cute as "Sputnik") and have applied for a different one.

DS and I did some yard work. Unfortunately, yard waste is only picked up every other week (was weekly before Covid) & we were able to mostly fill all of our bins in less than an hour.

I emailed the flooring guy.

Next up:

• Email scout camp again, because they never answered.
  • Look through the manuals and play with the radios I'm borrowing.
  • Take DS to tennis.
  • Dinner (DH will cook)
  • CERT virtual meeting

Yes, when I input your call sign as a zip code in Google and it sent me halfway around the world! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I love my pediatrician.   I've had the same one for 27 years.   She's about 30 minutes from home depending on traffic but it's worth it.   We don't go much except for annual physicals since my kids don't get sick much but if we do have a sick visit I can get in immediately.  She knows me well so I don't get funny looks at whatever weird things my kids are doing or saying these days.  My son in particular (asd, gifted, super quirky) goes in by himself and I know she'd talk to me before calling CPS on us if he comes up with something bizarro (and he has!).

I've had the same OB/GYN office for 34 years.  Not the same doctor in that case, just the same office.   It became a group practice, then original doctor retired, etc.  My file there is THICK. 

• Like 7

I indulged in some flower garden therapy.  Got several annuals and a couple perennials and a rosemary to replace the one that died and a pretty pot of gerbera daisies for college friend's family who are moving here from California this week.

Now I need to practice the Haydn Mass in D minor.  There are some tricky spots in the violin part.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Green Bean said:

And you didn't invite us. Hmph.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I think that she means her ham radio call sign? 

Jean wins! I passed my ham license exam Sunday and got my auto-assigned call sign via email, and it's not something I like at all. I filled in the FCC's online request for a better one that I know is available. They have you list up to 25 you would rather have than your current one; I think I listed 5. Originally I had said I would only get a vanity sign if it can be processed before 4/19, when it goes from free to $35, but the extent to which I dislike my assigned one is such that I might do it anyway and defer buying a better antenna for the entry-level radio I'm going to get.

My screen name here at present is just the number the forum gave me when I registered. You can see yours by clicking on your profile and seeing what number is in the URL. Sfork, yours is 122189, for example. Ellie and Jean have 3-digit numbers, I guess because they joined sooner.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

And you didn't invite us. Hmph.

Next time you are in Houston....

Kids voted for root beer floats instead for dessert. DH asked for biscuits, but I have just one oven.

EdPo: I have been looking at TGTB Math for Little Man, and I like what I see. Is it a 'fluffy' choice? Who knows? Will it get done? Yep. Hmm... And I wish they would hurry up and release Kinder Prep already!

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, 73349 said:

Jean wins! I passed my ham license exam Sunday and got my auto-assigned call sign via email, and it's not something I like at all. I filled in the FCC's online request for a better one that I know is available. They have you list up to 25 you would rather have than your current one; I think I listed 5. Originally I had said I would only get a vanity sign if it can be processed before 4/19, when it goes from free to $35, but the extent to which I dislike my assigned one is such that I might do it anyway and defer buying a better antenna for the entry-level radio I'm going to get.

My screen name here at present is just the number the forum gave me when I registered. You can see yours by clicking on your profile and seeing what number is in the URL. Sfork, yours is 122189, for example. Ellie and Jean have 3-digit numbers, I guess because they joined sooner.

Well, I have been on this forum for 20 years now….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, 73349 said:

I'm 15452.  Cool.  I never noticed that.  

I've been here 12 years so I guess that's why I'm just 10,000 instead of 100,000s.

• Like 4

I have number 2047. It would have been a smaller number if I had registered right away when these forums opened, but I think 6 months passed. Of course, that doesn't include the OTHER (first) forum. I've been on WTM forums for almost 20 years. Some have been here longer, but I don't know if they are still HERE, other than Jean. @Ellie, how long have you been here?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Renai said:

I have number 2047. It would have been a smaller number if I had registered right away when these forums opened, but I think 6 months passed. Of course, that doesn't include the OTHER (first) forum. I've been on WTM forums for almost 20 years. Some have been here longer, but I don't know if they are still HERE, other than Jean. @Ellie, how long have you been here?

Yes - I seem to remember taking a while to register.  I think I found the old forum back in 2001 when I was first thinking about homeschooling ds26.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 73349 said:

'Cuz Jean and I were cool before Stork and you. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3