Menu

1 minute ago, Spudater said:

I guess my strategy will be five servings of veg a day, no sweets, eat between 10am and 7pm. Add in three strength training half hours a week to the 4-5 walks scheduled  Hopefully that will be enough.  The thing about losing weight slowly is with water fluctuations you often can only tell it's working after at least a month.

That sounds really good.  Are there "sweet treats" that you can have on hand for times that you are struggling?  Like stevia sweetened or something?  I usually keep Lily's chocolate bars, some stevia-sweetened chocolate cranberry muffins (I do not have to eat gf, so I use Kodiak mix), and/or some Halo or Aldi-brand protein ice cream so I can have a treat when I want one.

• Like 3
  • Replies 204.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Jean in Newcastle

• Susan in TN

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Coming out of my long time lurking because I couldn't ignore this thread..  :leaving:

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

That sounds really good.  Are there "sweet treats" that you can have on hand for times that you are struggling?  Like stevia sweetened or something?  I usually keep Lily's chocolate bars, some stevia-sweetened chocolate cranberry muffins (I do not have to eat gf, so I use Kodiak mix), and/or some Halo or Aldi-brand protein ice cream so I can have a treat when I want one.

I have some recipes for stuff just using stevia. I don't think I can keep much in the house though or I won't be able to keep out of it. I was thinking I'd plan on making myself some overnight oats in individual Tupperware s to have as an afternoon pick me up. If I keep it down to 1/4 cup oats and only use stevia it's 23 g carbs, so not too bad. Plus oats are supposed to be good for milk production.

• Like 5

I should be trying IF this summer.   I need caffeine to get going but can't drink tea on an empty stomach without feeling nauseous so had to eat breakfast before I was teaching classes.  Since I'm not teaching all summer, this would have been the perfect time.  

Dinner is too late some nights since dd is at TKD until 7pm and we eat after.

• Like 5

I don't do portions, I do percentage and eat until I'm full. Lunch is 100% veggies, dinner is 50% veggies, 50% meat. I don't count fats or fruits. Fats are naturally occurring in healthy quantities and I just don't eat fruit. I have some recipes that call for apple or whatnot, but I don't eat fruit just to eat them.

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I should be trying IF this summer.   I need caffeine to get going but can't drink tea on an empty stomach without feeling nauseous so had to eat breakfast before I was teaching classes.  Since I'm not teaching all summer, this would have been the perfect time.  

Dinner is too late some nights since dd is at TKD until 7pm and we eat after.

Black coffee?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
18 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

WAH! My computer ate my post!! Trying again.

I kept busy all day and missed the 4000 pg party! I knew Slache was going to get the Booya.

Slache- praying for you.

EdPo's: I listed my MBtP 8-10 set on eBay today. I even got a nibble, but she didn't purchase. Oh well- we aren't quite done with it anyway.

I decided we need to focus on writing now that I have a good math resource I am happy with. (Though daily The Girl keeps asking to go back Saxon. She thinks MiF has too many problems.) I need a writing program that will take the kids from writing good sentences through to essays. I've narrowed it down to IEW or EIW because I am tired of trying to do this on my own. But ASD Boy won't watch videos. He is doing very well with just doing math and one other subject a day so maybe he will be compliant? 

We are almost done with our literature book so I am debating between letting them pick the next one or doing Trojan War using MP's guide. Thing is, they hate those things, and truthfully, so do I. The questions are so highbrow. Maybe a Veritas Press guide, then? Or Kolbe set? I wish I could download one to try.

They also want to study the Middle Ages but not using SOTW or History Ody.. I'm so lame that I can't pull a bunch of stuff together. Give me a curriculum and I can use it.

I'm also debating MP JrK 2 day regular or Charter, or JrK 5 day, or going the SC route. If we start with Charter, I kinda think we have to stick with it. 

Anyway just thinking online here. And posting this so my machine doesn't erase it again!

I can lend you TWSS and Teaching The Classics if you want. Classical Academic Press comes to mind. Samples are generous. English Lessons Through Literature? Brave Writer?

• Like 4

All this talk about dieting and fasting made me really really hungry. So I ate a big supper and finished off with a generous slice of apple pie that Eldest made. There’s always tomorrow, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5
29 minutes ago, Slache said:

I can lend you TWSS and Teaching The Classics if you want. Classical Academic Press comes to mind. Samples are generous. English Lessons Through Literature? Brave Writer?

If you do BraveWriter, don't spend the $$ for the online classes. Just buy the one book. I thought they (the online classes) were good at the time, but in comparison to WTMA classes my dd took after those, BW are terribly overpriced for what little they do. They're very very affirming, which is great, but at some point you need correction and critique and help towards moving in a direction of improvement ( in a proper tone of course, which all her WTMA instructors had). Just throwing out my .02 since no one asked. I have really revised my opinion of BW over the years. 

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

If you do BraveWriter, don't spend the $$ for the online classes. Just buy the one book.

I have not taken classes but totally agree that the book is enough. I also have jot it down, partnership writing and a bunch of lit but none of it was worth it.

8 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

A friend of mine took some webinar with them recently and got 3 months free streaming TWSS access. 

I think this isn't a thing anymore. 😭

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Slache said:

Thanks! I’ve wanted to look into Teaching the Classics for awhile. CAP is fun but I didn’t feel was moving us anywhere. I have never liked BW stuff. I’ve tried some over the years but always felt underwhelmed. It seems like a lot of hype over nothing. BTDT ELTL. Died quickly. I just could not see how it was teaching anything. I also felt it lacked enough guidance for me. 

IEW is letting people try the new SSS and Fix It!  3 weeks free. I signed up last night for Level B and Nose Tree. I plan to make us do it then see.

I’m sorry if I tread on toes with my overly opinionated Lefty comments. Please forgive me.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 8
3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Thanks! I’ve wanted to look into Teaching the Classics for awhile. CAP is fun but I didn’t feel was moving us anywhere. I have never liked BW stuff. I’ve tried some over the years but always felt underwhelmed. It seems like a lot of hype over nothing. BTDT ELTL. Died quickly. I just could not see how it was teaching anything. I also felt it lacked enough guidance for me. 

IEW is letting people try the new SSS and Fix It!  3 weeks free. I signed up last night for Level B and Nose Tree. I plan to make us do it then see.

I’m sorry if I tread on toes with my overly opinionated Lefty comments. Please forgive me.

Lol, I thought you must have posted a political rant until I remembered we were talking about handedness.

• Haha 10
2 hours ago, mms said:

Slache, can you please tell Hunter hi from ltlmrs? I really really miss her, but I am glad she is doing well.

Good night, folks!

Tell her Hi from people like me she didn't even know followed her every post!! 

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Why do puppies find baby wipes so delicious? 

If you want a firm, but effective way to nix that immediately, let me know- I have a solution. Otherwise I try to avoid giving unsolicited puppy advice as it is much like unsolicited child rearing or horse training advice (you'd think they would be world apart but they aren't- horse people are worse than parents or people with dogs ime) so I will keep my trap shut unless requested. 🙂

I was supposed to be in bed hours ago (8:30)  per my plan for a no good day dealing with a moody boy, but my kids were wired and stayed up later than "the plan", my dh crashed early even though he said he'd take care of it- the kids outlasted him, and if I fall asleep and then there is noise I wake and can't go back to sleep, and so here I am. Krissi, I had the munchies too and just ate four Oreos. Now I will have heartburn at 3am and repent. 

It's getting close to midnight though, so I am going to try to go to bed now as even the teenager just turned in. Maybe I will sleep in tomorrow. Dh is home and can deal with the puppy and the kids. 

Goodnight 🌙

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

MIL says that if restrictions aren't lifted she can't come visit us in November because she can't afford to quarantine from work. Please show your support for the current restrictions here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Up at 3:30 to discover a late email from last night saying that swim is canceled this morning.  I don't know whether to drink fresh coffee.  Alone.  In the dark.  Or go back to bed.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 7
1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Up at 3:30 to discover a late email from last night saying that swim is canceled this morning.  I don't know whether to drink fresh coffee.  Alone.  In the dark.  Or go back to bed.  

You're never alone! You have us.

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I read an article on the differences between hedgehogs and porcupines.

What are they?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! It's going to be a beautiful day.

More of the same around here. Planning, packing, lessons, & chores. It's like Groundhog Day without Bill Murray. 😂

Did you sleep, ITT Mamas? I had much interrupted sleep, but I ended up crashing at 8:30 last night, and Cheeto woke for the first time at 11, so I'm happy for what I got.

What are your exciting weekend plans?

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Good morning! Another day of fun and adventure!

Assembling the trampoline today. We really procrastinated on that one since we’ve had it since Easter. Where is the old run away and hide emoji?

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Good morning!

I slept from about 11:30 to 6:00!  Puppy was quiet all night!  Baby wipes aren't a huge issue, except when I am trying to clean around his eyes.  He took a small bite and swallowed it - he usually spits out the stupid stuff he puts in his mouth like leaves and twigs.  There is still a crusty lump stuck to his fur below his eye and I'm afraid I will poke his eye out because he is so Wiggly!  I am happy to hear advice for anything, as a strong supporter of the "throw it out and see what sticks" method of everything.

Weekend plans are to help dds11&14 with their Zoom orchestra auditions and help dd22 pack to move back into the dorms.  

Zoom auditions are more complicated than I expected.  We have to provide a youtube link with their solo piece and they have to announce name, age, music, composer, etc., and I am expecting them to turn out a little like that funny Liberty Mutual commercial.  Mibberty Butual.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6
25 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

I slept from about 11:30 to 6:00!  Puppy was quiet all night!  Baby wipes aren't a huge issue, except when I am trying to clean around his eyes.  He took a small bite and swallowed it - he usually spits out the stupid stuff he puts in his mouth like leaves and twigs.  There is still a crusty lump stuck to his fur below his eye and I'm afraid I will poke his eye out because he is so Wiggly!  I am happy to hear advice for anything, as a strong supporter of the "throw it out and see what sticks" method of everything.

Weekend plans are to help dds11&14 with their Zoom orchestra auditions and help dd22 pack to move back into the dorms.  

Zoom auditions are more complicated than I expected.  We have to provide a youtube link with their solo piece and they have to announce name, age, music, composer, etc., and I am expecting them to turn out a little like that funny Liberty Mutual commercial.  Mibberty Butual.

Coffee!

That sounds a lot like the instructions for our youth orchestra auditions here too.  And today is the deadline here, but they're only doing 3 week long ensemble projects here for fall (if they get to do that) and will announce a later date for auditions for seating the full orchestras for spring semester (assuming they get to do that).  So, we decided to wait for the later auditions.  

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday!!!

We are going into a week of excessive and dangerous heat. There are 109s and 110s in the forecast.🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️😂

Busy day today. Gotta make some phone calls. Why do I hate and dread phone calls so much?

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

DH was sweet and started a fresh pot of coffee just before he had to leave for work. He has no idea what went wrong and why it is full of coffee grounds. Simple: he doesn't put the coffee filter in correctly and it folds over on itself. Sigh.

Newbie told me at midnight, "sleep is for wusses."  Now that it's daytime and I have to be up, he's sleeping like a baby. Double sigh.

Won a bid on eBay yesterday. Paid it. For some reason it shows payment pending instead of paid and I cannot reach a live person at eBay OR PayPal to explain this. I'm considering cancelling the entire transaction and just washing my hands of it.

I'm grumpy. Not the angry or snarky kind of grumpy, just the exhausted don't want to deal with stuff kind of grumpy. So maybe not really grumpy, just blaaah. 

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 4
  • Sad 5
4 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

You're never alone! You have us.

What are they?

Dude. That was 5 hours ago.

I remember one had hollow quills. There's more. I don't know.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I knew some guys who had a pet hedgehog.

We have a resident groundhog who lives near the stream in our yard.  His name is Beaverton.  

In other news, I washed some dishes by hand AND shined the sink and got 2/4 orchestra auditions videoed.  

• Thanks 7
6 hours ago, Slache said:

I read an article on the differences between hedgehogs and porcupines.

Must have been a long article since they are vastly different animals.   They aren't even closely related except both being mammals. 

• Like 7

Good Morning.  Had to get up and drive dh to work today since his car is getting new brakes.  Mine needs new tires but we're still waiting on them to come in.   Brakes are important so we pushed that.   

Worked out with dd today.   Rest of day is laundry (STILL?  There's so much laundry after the power outages), planning classes, planning homeschool.    Same old, same old. 

I did clean the living room yesterday so that was new.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Coffee!

Okay, two tricks. First one, is anything they eat/chew and you don't want them to, you put the puppy on a leash, put the item on the floor and literally bait it- put a piece of dog food on it or something and then when they do to get it, you say NO, or LEAVE IT, or whatever word you chose. If they still go for it, and you have a water gun in your possession, shoot them with the water gun (or conversely you can roll up a Memoria Press catalog and smack them with it- but some people are opposed to smacking puppies, but really it's just paper and it's not like it's going to going to kill them). And you practice this with different items multiple times a day for a couple of weeks and before you know if you have a puppy to which you can say NO about anything and they don't eat stuff they shouldn't. Our puppy ignores stuff on the floor like remotes, shoes, you name it- becuase we practiced it all and she knows it's a set up. \

On the eye wipes, since tht'at differed, I'd have someone hold a rawhide, or a spoon dipped in wet dog food or something and let her lick it while you scrub her eyes. You really just need distraction and reward simultaneously on things like that until they get used to it. 

15 minutes ago, Slache said:

Dude. That was 5 hours ago.

I remember one had hollow quills. There's more. I don't know.

Hedgehogs run in their own poop and you have to clean their feet every day. And they are ornery.  

Porcupines require pliers if your dog gets near one from what I saw when we had cable and I watched Dr. Pol. 

Edited by Æthelthryth the Texan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

My mom called me last night. I haven't decided what that means yet. She was friendly, told me she missed me and caught me up on family gossip. I always assumed she stalked me online but knew nothing of Isaac or Texas. I sent her pictures of the kids afterward as a gesture of goodwill.

• Like 10

Never mind, trampoline getting postponed yet again because DH has to go in to work. Kids will have to make due with the little trampoline for a while longer.

So far I have accomplished exactly nothing this morning. DH going to work really threw me for a loop.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
5 minutes ago, mms said:

Never mind, trampoline getting postponed yet again because DH has to go in to work. Kids will have to make due with the little trampoline for a while longer.

So far I have accomplished exactly nothing this morning. DH going to work really threw me for a loop.

We are opposite, because dh staying home throws me for one. 😂

I am letting the hormonal growth spurt kid sleep as late as he wants and then their friends are all coming over after lunch and I get to talk to their mom/my friend/another adult in person that I am not married or related to, so this is exciting. But I do need to vacuum before they get here still..... But No school today for us. We made all four other days and by last night I was d-o-n-e. 

A coyote came up to our fence bordering the pasture at 6am this morning while dh was out with our dogs and tried to attack our puppy though the fence. Dh and  I wish dh had had his gun. The coyotes are really bad lately and I won't let the kids go play in the pasture alone. I guess they are running out of things to eat. I hate coyotes. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
3 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

We are opposite, because dh staying home throws me for one. 😂

I am letting the hormonal growth spurt kid sleep as late as he wants and then their friends are all coming over after lunch and I get to talk to their mom/my friend/another adult in person that I am not married or related to, so this is exciting. But I do need to vacuum before they get here still..... But No school today for us. We made all four other days and by last night I was d-o-n-e. 

A coyote came up to our fence bordering the pasture at 6am this morning while dh was out with our dogs and tried to attack our puppy though the fence. Dh and  I wish dh had had his gun. The coyotes are really bad lately and I won't let the kids go play in the pasture alone. I guess they are running out of things to eat. I hate coyotes. 

I am wondering how much the shut down has had an effect on state fish and wildlife services. We have had quite a few wildlife incidents but I can’t quite tell if there is a statistical rise or not. Just this past week a little boy nearby was killed by feral dogs and we’ve heard coyotes in the backyard at night. The coyotes would not be unusual in wintertime but it is odd in the summer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7
59 minutes ago, mms said:

I am wondering how much the shut down has had an effect on state fish and wildlife services. We have had quite a few wildlife incidents but I can’t quite tell if there is a statistical rise or not. Just this past week a little boy nearby was killed by feral dogs and we’ve heard coyotes in the backyard at night. The coyotes would not be unusual in wintertime but it is odd in the summer.

Our new neighbors (who have never lived in the country before and are used to HOAs and deed restrictions) called animal control about the coyotes and asked them to trap them and relocate them. After they stopped laughing at the absurdity of this, Animal Control of course said "shoot them" but then added "except the big females- don't shoot her or else they will start breeding and cause a population surge." :huh:

I guess they're like Meerkat Manor and only the boss lady gets to breed? (MeerKat Manor sums up most of my knowledge of non-domesticated critter biology becuase my oldest watched every single episode.) But I'm wondering how the hell are we supposed to know who the "big female" is because there are so many it's not like we're going to take the time to lift their skirts and put them on a scale before we shoot. But now I'm having to even have oldest take a dog with her just to deal with the chicken coop because it's in the pasture. Weird year- and it's not a like a drought or conversely a storm year either.......this isn't the normal coyote pattern at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
1 minute ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Slache you have to change your title now to Majestic Mother of Four or something.

What about just "HELP!"?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Boys are still sleeping. The Girl just woke up. Captain is refusing to take his nap until he sees Lawn Mower Man come do the lawn. He always comes when Captain is sleeping. Seriously, this kid has an obsession. Every night he prays for the LawnMower Man to come tomorrow. 😆

I washed the goat, cleaned the kitchen, and dealt with the never-ending laundry. Dinner is sausage, peas, and rice.

I went to The Homeschool Store yesterday. Pretty much all the middle and higher level used Saxon was gone. Lots of Calculus left! Why was I looking at it? My kids revolted and demanded Saxon Math return. 😆 I lucked out that someone had just returned a used 87 set but I had to buy 65 new. Both are now taped up and ready to go. But I forgot an extra wkbk for ASD Boy so I’m going back in a bit.

All the lower level of Horizons Math was gone as well as most of Singapore Primary. Lots of R&S, Master fluff Books, and one other weird one I can’t remember the name of. Most of the used and new manipulatives are gone, too.

All this means at least kids are going to be doing math!

I looked at Notgrass and I like what I see. Is the Bible strictly stories/references without theology/Religious teachings?

AND I stayed up until 1 am reading the IEW stuff. Yeah- I still hate it. I like Fix It! So I think we will use it. Backup plan is Essentials in Writing. They are doing Try Before You Buy samples for up to 4 grade levels.

Heading out now.

BOOYA!!! 

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 7