Menu

Ignore this thread!

Writing today. Also cooking some dinner, and managed to burn myself, further cementing my notion that the best place for me to be today is parked in a chair, inventing a new world, characters, and a magic system. Much safer for everyone I live with.

I do have to put together the school plan (rough) for handling the holidays. Shouldn't be too bad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I slept in. Happy Veteran's Day! Why is Lynn struggling? Because she sacrificed so much by allowing her husband to serve our entire country instead of her. Thank you Lynn! Tell your husband we are forever grateful. I regret forgetting to tell him that in person.

John's birthday is being celebrated today. Teriyaki spam breakfast (I will not be participating) Riverwalk to pick out a gift, some random restaraunt or ice cream shop, presents, then painting tonight.

Yes, it's completely ITT's fault. It's because of the H.

How old is John now? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Okay, really, how important are clean bathrooms, anyway?

I like them, but not enough to clean them today. Already burned myself this morning, and I use a lot of boiling water to clean instead of using chemical cleaners. Might be dangerous!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Tessamae, I feel all the feels for you when you have to work nights.  I did that for a very short time (just a factory job) and I really struggled.  And I didn't even have kids!  My dd21 is in her first semester of nursing school (jr. year of a 4 year program) and it's so hard.  So many things she is having to deal with, especially emotionally.  I have an incredible admiration for nurses - it's an amazing calling.

Thank you. I mostly like working nights.  It lets me homeschool the kids but there are times I miss sleep.😁 I’m so proud and happy for your daughter.  I think nursing school is one of the hardest things a person can do.  It is also totally worth it. She is at the beginning of a great and fulfilling experience.

1 hour ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Happy Veteran's Day! 

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

And coffee!

I need to finish lots of Bible study prep today while the kids do their independent schoolwork.  Then haul bins of garage stuff from the garage into the basement so we'll have space to install the peg boards and shelves that arrive on Wednesday.  Somehow, though, I need to be sure there is enough space left in the basement for the piano teacher to still be able to teach lessons on Thursday.  (Our basement is about 10x10, and already has a piano and craft table and a wall of bookshelves in it, so we don't have much floor space to work with. Oh, and like a gazillion doors to spaces we use daily, like the laundry room.). 

Hmmm.... 

It's supposed to snow on Tuesday, so I can't store any stuff outside, but maybe I can use the van? We have tons to get rid of, but dh is not emotionally ready to do it yet.  Sticking stuff in the van might encourage him to just drive it to a donation center.  

Maybe also clean all the stuff off the craft table so I can stack things there?  

Stuff is definitely overrated, IMO.  Down with stuff!  

(Except Playmobil.)

I agree. Down with stuff!! We are preparing for a move.  At the end of it, my family (husband and two kids) and my mother will be moving into one house with MIL.  Neither mother has gone through things after the death of their spouses.  So much stuff!  Our mantra is purge, purge, purge!

44 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Made it to the science center almost at the usual time, did my yoga (ouch), then realized the activity I had planned for the first class was something that a few of them had just done in April.  Way too soon to repeat an activity, so I scrambled to find something different to do.  It wasn't too hard since all my stuff is here, it was just finding something I didn't need any extra ingredients for.   We did activities on bugs, including the hissing cockroaches coming to visit.  It worked.  

Toto, I wish we lived close enough to come to your center. It sounds wonderful!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Happy Veteran's Day! 

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

And coffee!

I need to finish lots of Bible study prep today while the kids do their independent schoolwork.  Then haul bins of garage stuff from the garage into the basement so we'll have space to install the peg boards and shelves that arrive on Wednesday.  Somehow, though, I need to be sure there is enough space left in the basement for the piano teacher to still be able to teach lessons on Thursday.  (Our basement is about 10x10, and already has a piano and craft table and a wall of bookshelves in it, so we don't have much floor space to work with. Oh, and like a gazillion doors to spaces we use daily, like the laundry room.). 

Hmmm.... 

It's supposed to snow on Tuesday, so I can't store any stuff outside, but maybe I can use the van? We have tons to get rid of, but dh is not emotionally ready to do it yet.  Sticking stuff in the van might encourage him to just drive it to a donation center.  

Maybe also clean all the stuff off the craft table so I can stack things there?  

Stuff is definitely overrated, IMO.  Down with stuff!  

(Except Playmobil.)

I put up a large storage shed in the yard then spent a year hauling stuff out there as a way to clean up the house.

I'm finally getting around to decluttering and organizing the stuff in the shed. Which means I have hauled half of the shed stuff out onto a big ground cloth so I can spread stuff all around me as I work. My goal is to get rid of as much of it as possible and organize the rest so it is easily accessible.

Fortunately no rain or snow is expected here this week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have never seen wind like that. Matt had Alex's hand so we didn't lose him but both Mary and Alex went airborne. John clung to a pole while I ran after Mary. It was horrifying. We both lost our pony tails and I lost a button. My ears hurt so bad from being pulled.

• Sad 5

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

I have never seen wind like that. Matt had Alex's hand so we didn't lose him but both Mary and Alex went airborne. John clung to a pole while I ran after Mary. It was horrifying. We both lost our pony tails and I lost a button. My ears hurt so bad from being pulled.

Whoa scary!

I'm glad you all are ok.

5 hours ago, Slache said:

We have made no progress.

You kept three children alive all day and kept them safe in a storm like that--trophies to you! One per kid. 🏆🏆🏆 I guess this will be a celebration to remember.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 2

Classes done, back from the gym, now getting ready to head out to 4-H.  Then Monday is done.   Tuesday is easier, just 3 classes and one tutoring student (who was not feeling well today so may not come tomorrow).    But once again I checked past history and tomorrow's plan was just done last Spring and needs to be changed.  

• Like 3

We are home. It is insane out again. Thunder and lighting and insane winds. It's dark outside. Insane. It's insane. I LOVE IT!

44 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

You kept three children alive all day and kept them safe in a storm like that--trophies to you! One per kid. 🏆🏆🏆 I guess this will be a celebration to remember.

I'm not sure safe is the best word. They survived. That's a plus.

It's a CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPOOYA!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 5

I had another waking dream last night - a man wearing a black ski mask was rummaging around my nightstand and then got into bed.  I laid there in a panic for quite a while before I could convince my brain that it was just dh.  Even after I slinked out of bed and went in the bathroom and came out again, I cautiously turned on my bedside lamp "just to make sure".  Sigh.  I hate those.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, Slache said:

I slept in. Happy Veteran's Day! Why is Lynn struggling? Because she sacrificed so much by allowing her husband to serve our entire country instead of her. Thank you Lynn! Tell your husband we are forever grateful. I regret forgetting to tell him that in person.

John's birthday is being celebrated today. Teriyaki spam breakfast (I will not be participating) Riverwalk to pick out a gift, some random restaraunt or ice cream shop, presents, then painting tonight.

Yes, it's completely ITT's fault. It's because of the H.

Awwww, shucks!  Thank you for thinking of me.  ❤️😍😢🇺🇸😊😘

19 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Okay, really, how important are clean bathrooms, anyway?

Not really.  😜

19 hours ago, Slache said:

Nine.

Fairly so.

NINE!!!!?????  Svengo!!!!  Happy Nirthday!

31 minutes ago, Slache said:

I am sicker than an absolute dog. I think I'm dying. My throat hurts so bad. My ears. Help me.

Oh NO!!!  Were you glutened?  Or was it the crazy wind?

• Like 2

I"m EST so was in bed sleeping.   I'm still tired.  I'm waking up feeling congested and icky but I usually feel fine once I take my benedryl and have my tea so I'm pretty sure it's just allergies/sleeping in dry air/lingering remnants of whatever.    I do have my yearly physical tomorrow so I guess we'll see if there's something more to it.

• Like 4

Good morning!

Ds14 is no longer with us.  Happy Nirthday to ds15! 🎉

(((Slache))) Maybe you caught something from the nursery?  Think you might need to see a doctor?

Our snow looks like a heavy frost, but the kids are acting like they're at Lynn's house.  Snowmageddon! Most of the counties north of us are on a 2-hour school delay.

I have to return some library books this morning, so I think I'll stop by the thrift store nearby and see if they still have any of the sleds they had last week.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!

School and work.

I am assuming DH made it to Korea. I haven’t heard of any planes crashing out over the Pacific. But then again, I haven’t listened to the news for a while. He has ‘t Contacted me yet. It is 11:00pm over there, so I will let him sleep.

• Like 6

Good Morning! Happy Tuesday.   

Coffee, much too late for me.  I'm racing against the big chill and potential snow.  Still so much to clean up outside! 

9 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

And I went to the K-8 Board and thought it would be a good idea to click on the now monster thread I started. Now I feel like a complete failure as a homeschooler. 

I'm at the part in Return of the King where Legolas takes down the mumakill oliphant. Go Green Dead Army Guys!! Theodin just bit it. And just why didn't Aragon send said Dead Army into Mordor first, I ask you?! 

Paradox, your hijacked megathread just makes me chuckle.  Count me among those who now feel like terrible homeschoolers.   And I KNOW RIGHT??  That dead army had nuclear capability.  

Stay warm, everybody.   Except people who don't like to be warm, I suppose. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I'm still up.  I'm putting the animals to bed.  And reassuring a neighbor on Nextdoor who was convinced that the fireworks (which happen at every single win and have for years. . .) was actually gunshots. 

And this is why I don't like fireworks...but that's a rant for another day.

• Like 4

I'm up. We had a dusting of snow, but now it's a blue kind of cold. The boys started a fire from last night's coals, and the cat is slowly becoming convinced that her tail won't freeze. That is, she's left the top bunk and come into the front room to lounge. All her fur is strictly ornamental after all.

I was writing last night. Keeping up with my NaNoWriMo words, and should hit 25K either today or tomorrow. I'm trying not to overdo it this month and stay around 2K a day instead of trying to push things. I needed a rest after the intense revising in October.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

If I ditch our reading curriculum, what do I replace it with? Reading book after book is something Oldest enjoys but how do I turn that into the rest of our school year? I don't know what I'm supposed to actually teach in reading. I wonder if there is a reading list that goes with TGWG that I just ordered. Guess we'll soon see. If there are actual books that could double (or triple) as geography, history, and reading to go along, I would be absolutely over the moon happy. Calling out an SOS to the ITT research team!

This is an 8th-grader? How about Figuratively Speaking, and then you can create a chart of examples as you come across them in the books you want to do anyway?