Menu

Ignore this thread!

I have never felt judged for my curriculum choices.  But then I tend to ask very specific questions about subjects.  Or I ask for ideas and then evaluate them and choose from the privacy of my own home.  Ie. . I don't engage in critiquing their suggestions either because it bugs me no end when someone asks for suggestions and then shoots down every one.  I don't care if they don't use the suggestions but at least have the courtesy to say thank you and don't shoot them down. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

FWIW, no one on wtm has EVER critiqued or criticised my curriculum choices.  They only comment if I ask.  I have never felt judged.  Or maybe I have and was oblivious?

Same. On all counts. I'm voting oblivious, and conveniently forgetting.

I mean, when I went to the high school board for my 12th (or 11lth) grader saying I wanted to drop chemistry because she'd been working on it for a year and was only halfway through (Apologia), I got a bunch of support. I was told to drop it, give her a credit since it's based on time, and gave me suggestions for kitchen chemistry. They were mostly homeschoolers that had been around the block for a while already, and had graduated (or close to) at least one. Are the criticizers mostly younger homeschoolers? It comes up sometimes that some people are just fanatical about their own choices. It's one of the reasons I was told the Bible tells younger women to commune with the older.  

Not everyone is Mensa-level, and I'm not going to (can't) push mine to be. I can totally work with them where they're at.  (It is totally ok that "at" is at the end of that sentence.)

Edited by Renai
Slash felt the need to correct my homophone error via text and laugh at me. See what I mean about younger ...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Renai said:

Same. On all counts. I'm voting oblivious, and conveniently forgetting.

I mean, when I went to the high school board for my 12th (or 11lth) grader saying I wanted to drop chemistry because she'd been working on it for a year and was only halfway through (Apologia), I got a bunch of support. I was told to drop it, give her a credit since it's based on time, and gave me suggestions for kitchen chemistry. They were mostly homeschoolers that had been around the block for a while already, and had graduated (or close to) at least one. Are the criticizers mostly younger homeschoolers? It comes up sometimes that some people are just fanatical about their own choices. It's one of the reasons I was told the Bible tells younger women to commune with the older.  

Not everyone is Mensa-level, and I'm not going to (can't) push mine to be. I can totally work with them where their at.  (It is totally ok that "at" is at the end of that sentence.)

I think that part of the problem is that some of us, ahem, tend to offer up too much information. More more information you offer, the more there is to critique.

Some of us are working on this.

• Like 2

Here's my signature.  Some of the materials are from last year and haven't been updated.

Benevolent Dictator

Makes Molly Weasley and Chuck Norris Eat Their Vegetables.

High School & College Graduate #1, Makin' your way in the world today takes everything you've got...

High School Graduate #2, Junior nursing major at University in the fall

Homeschooling 11th, 9th, 7th, & 5th

Using SOTW 2, Streams of Civilization 2, Rod & Staff English, ETC, VfCR, Reasoning & Reading, Writing & Rhetoric, TT Geometry/Algebra II, Algebra I, Math 7, & Math 5; Fallacy Detective, Thinking Toolbox, Rainbow Science, Drawing and informal picture study, DIY medieval madrigals and rounds; tutorial for 11th grade physics, British Lit, ukulele, & art; 9th grade biology, Spanish 1, American Lit, American Govt. & economics.

I know how the story ends.  Job 19:25

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

If I ever do create a siggy, I'll make sure to add a disclaimer that says, "I most likely cannot see your siggy so please be patient with me if I ask a question that most can see the answer to right on their screen.

No. It's common.

6 minutes ago, Slache said:

Orchestral rock/pop is my favorite thing. I thought The Piano Guys were a one of a kind thing when I came across them. Now it's pretty much the only genre I listen to.

I like all that and the hip hop violin dudes, too.

We can't look at any violin player anymore without commenting on their bow tip and straight violin wrist. (Gymnast knows the latter as "wall hand," or "not the pizza hand.")

Her favorite violin player is Lindsey Stirling.

• Like 1

Just now, Renai said:

Slash, the comments on the that last video though, 😂😂😂😂😂😂. "Their accurate name 61 cellos, 90 violins, 43 violas, and a cheeky drummer"

Truth!

I thought they were brothers. Apparently they were rivals in a competition who decided they go better together than apart.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

In case anyone is wondering, yes, the first time Renai and I talked about Lindsey she told me that Gymnast dances around like that when she plays Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Oh, my goodness, I remember that! 😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

Does she not do that anymore? Make her keep doing it.

She just said she can't. 😞 

She went through a period that her teacher basically paused her moving forward on more songs, and she started getting discouraged. I told her my thought was, the teacher really wanted to nail certain techniques, and then would start her moving forward again. Lo and behold, that's what happened in lesson this week - teacher mentioned she noticed certain consistency in group, rewarded her, and started her on the next song.

I reminded her when we got home about what I said, and her face lit up. All that practice on the same things paid off. She's pretty motivated again.

I think she'll start dancing again as she plays. 😄 Eventually.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Yes. I was picturing Fabio (the way he looked 30yrs ago when he was on the cover of ALL romance novels) in a kilt dancing Lord of the Dance style. Very entertaining, too, with his hair blowing in the nonexistent breeze. 😂

None of this sounds appealing to me.

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

They should be in kilts, not cowboy boots. Cowboys ride horses and try to ride bulls for at least 8 seconds. Your music people make me feel all Lord of the Dance and stuff.

If it's Celtic fiddling you want you really can't beat our very own Well Trained Mind boards fledgling Haley Richardson:

https://www.wgbh.org/celtic/2019/09/19/fiddler-haley-richardson-returns-for-a-christmas-celtic-sojourn

She spent the summer in Ireland doing Riverdance shows.

Edited by maize
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Wait!  It's a secret code, isn't it!!!???!!!

Ummm....yes? It says The Ducks Have Run Amok.  Which is secret code for:  The ducks have run amok.

BUT you reminded me that I used to have a secret message embedded in my siggy, so now I've added one again.  

Find it??

Shhh.... don't tell anyone.

ETA: Some of you can't see emojis, can you?  Hmmmm..... That would be problematic.   Good luck with that.

Edited by lots of little ducklings
  • Like 4

My siggy, for Servie:

🦆Mama Duck 📕📗📖                🦆 💃DD 9.  📘📙📚

The chocolate is hidden in the tea tin!                                                                                              📚    📖    🦆 👟👟DS 12 📓  ✏️  📗     

📓    🦆 DD 7.5🔥🌩️🔥 🧨🔥🦆 DS 5.5 📙

🦆 🐈DD 10.5📘📔

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Renai said:

I like all that and the hip hop violin dudes, too.

We can't look at any violin player anymore without commenting on their bow tip and straight violin wrist. (Gymnast knows the latter as "wall hand," or "not the pizza hand.")

Her favorite violin player is Lindsey Stirling.

3 hours ago, Slache said:

She is very popular and has been on talk shows and stuff. She randomly showed up in my YouTube suggestions (Roundtable Revival) and I was hooked.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 1