Menu

Ignore this thread!

Today might be the last day of Matt's (regular) six day work weeks. We're exchanging his Mondays for extra hours on Friday and Saturday, giving him a 2 day weekend. He kept coming up short (like $100 short!) on Mondays and working late the rest of the week to make up for it. I'm really hoping this works out. Everyone is burned out. He's always tired and the kids miss normality. I think he's had 3 days off since we moved here. We've done things more than that but that's because he's taken partial days off in exchange for working nights so he can spend time with the kids.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Slache said:

Servant has no siggy still. Lynn's is plain. Toto's is plain. Renai's is long. It has a blank point. Susan's has more than one font. Juliet is now Jaws. Krissi has it going on. Angi also has two fonts. Oooo, Bookie! You should put "soccer" for babiness. Quackers has mini quacks. She's pretending to have her ducks in a row but we know better. Critter has a good siggy. Paradox needs to update with curriculum. Maize's is corny.

These are my findings.

8 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I don't put curriculum in my siggy because I switch it around too much. Shameful of me, I know. ADDING: I also don't put curriculum in my siggy because I fear judging or shaming for what we do and what level we are at. Or that we are not doing enough or the 'wrong' subjects or misisng subjects. This is a MENSA level, super active in stuff board and most of you guys homeschool that way. My kids aren't like that. It can be intimidating a lot of the time.

This!  and I do the birthdates because it requires less updating.  I always forget, which is sad because I ONLY go on WTM from my computer so it's not like I can't see it.

Saying what we do would look something like:

DD:  Graduate school, working full time retail management while finishing up her degree (maybe, she's not sure she wants to, may change direction).

DS (9th grade, 14 years old):  Started with Foerster's Algebra, switched to MUS Algebra because he's gifted in math but hates it and just wants to get it done and MUS is less wordy.   Vocabulary from Classical Roots but he only has the last two books left and I have no idea if I need to do anything after that.
I have three different writing programs but haven't gotten off my butt to work out the plans for any of them so he is still not doing any writing program.
Still trying to figure out a literature program because he finished the last book of Mosdos and I want something just like that.  I do have him doing a study of The Story of Science: Aristotle in the meantime. 
I'm pretty sure he reads for an hour a day.
History has fallen by the way-side for now.  Will get back into it soon.
Science is physics and forensics at the science center (that I own and teach everything) and he just finished a Science Terminology class and will also be doing a Study Skills class.
Just joined a gym for PE so he'll get up off his butt every so often now that it's getting too cold and dark to walk.

DD (7th grade, 12 years old):   Doing a very slow, easy introduction to Algebra (parts might even count as pre-algebra) at the Science Center and struggling.  Needs to do math every single day or seems to forget everything.  Feels lots of anxiety and cries no matter what we do.  I have 5 years to get her through Algebra 2 and it might take every minute.
Vocabulary from Classical Roots - has three books left, not sure what to do after.
Writing - does quite a bit of writing as part of Mosdos and has improved 1000% once I told her to type it and email it to me.  Turns out she can write a decent sentence/paragraph!
Mosdos Jade Literature which is the last one so I'm hoping whatever I finally figure out for ds is something she can do later.
I'm not at all sure she reads for an hour a day no matter how many times I remind her.  
History is by the wayside for her too, but she's farther behind than her brother because she hasn't even finished up putting stuff in the timeline book from our last unit.  
Science - Chemistry and Earth/Space at the science center.   Her choice, those are the ones her friends are in so she wanted to do both.
PE is TKD, she gets her first black belt this afternoon!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I need to remember to do laundry this weekend.   It was all done early in the week so there's not as much but if I don't do what there is this weekend, it will just build and build and build and I'll be under an avalanche again by next week.   Classes start again Monday so need to be ready.   I already didn't get done nearly the amount of cleaning I wanted to, but the first two weeks of classes will be completely planned so that's something.

• Like 3

BTW, for anyone who was concerned, my voice is finally mostly back.  About 80% back from my perspective but dh said I sound normal now so that's good.

ETA:  I still can't sing.   I never could sing well, but I still like to sing along with music.  Can't do that without my voice completely cracking.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 6

I had to read two WHOLE pages to get caught up this morning!   Then I have to answer everything at once, as I think of it, but once I'm done I feel like it's safe to leave the ITT and go do all the stuff I'm supposed to be doing. 

So, see y'all later.  🙋‍♀️💁‍♀️🙅‍♀️🙆‍♀️🤦‍♀️🏃‍♀️

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I had to read two WHOLE pages to get caught up this morning!   Then I have to answer everything at once, as I think of it, but once I'm done I feel like it's safe to leave the ITT and go do all the stuff I'm supposed to be doing. 

So, see y'all later.  🙋‍♀️💁‍♀️🙅‍♀️🙆‍♀️🤦‍♀️🏃‍♀️

Don't go! We love you! We can't live without you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I put in a signature because it reminds me of what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm bubble-headed. I don't care about what Mensa-level people think because they're not raising my kids. I was almost intimidated to post about my oldest's chemistry woes on the high school board, but did anyway and was actually supported, so some of the intimidation fears are unfounded. (My oldest graduated with Integrated Math because she couldn't get through algebra, and Intro to Chemistry and kitchen chemistry because...it was torture...?). Anyway, I don't care what people think because I'm old, crotchety, and too busy to notice. 

Besides, I like my kids just the way they are. 

"Growth mindset" has been around long before they gave it that name. There's a lady that I subscribe to that sends free downloads every week. I like her stuff, but have never used it. Gymnast questions everything, including her own efforts, so I don't know what to do about that.

I pick up my first grocery pick up order at the Walmart down the way in a bit.

I called my mom yesterday to just say hi. By the end, she was reminding me she always has an open door. I'm wondering how much Dh heard (front door was open) coming from work, because he was kinda subdued last night.

I didn't have time to ponder it much because I worked last night. Then went to bed. I cancelled two early morning classes for this morning because I needed rest. I work again tonight. 

We're going to need a trip to the laundromat soon.

I missed two of Gymnast's Chinese classes this week (with Lingobus) and I'm sick about it. Those were the last two credits and I plumb forgot. Well, Thursday I forgot the class was in the morning instead of the afternoon. I'm deciding whether to buy a half price package on Black Friday or not. This is No-spend November, but it's the cheapest price of the year. I can purchase now and still give her the break she wants while we continue to go to Chinese school on Sundays. Decisions, decisions. 

I should get out of bed now and get ready to go. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I generally don't care what people think about my parenting and homeschooling.  I've already raised two to adulthood so obviously can figure it out.

BTW In 'n Out burgers and fries are totally gross 

1. I appreciate being able to see that in your siggy.  

2. What?  I thought those were supposed to be the best!?!  (I've never eaten there.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Oooooh, I love the parenting thoughts!  Except mine would be "I like you and am glad you are here with me..... except stop talking to me so much..."  🤣

Oh my goodness, that’s me with my youngest. 😂😂😂 She is absolutely the sweetest thing there ever was, but she won’t.stop.talking!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KrissiK said:

Good morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!!!

I slept in a little. It felt so good!!

We have a wedding to go to today. An outdoor wedding. In November. Who does that??

I wanted to do that but MIL said no. It was 79° with golden leaves everywhere. It would have been beautiful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

I wanted to do that but MIL said no. It was 79° with golden leaves everywhere. It would have been beautiful.

It will be beautiful, that’s a fact. The trees are at their peak (we don’t have a lot of trees change color, but the ones that do are gorgeous) and the weather has been unusually warm for November, but it was awfully risky to plan. It’s going to be at a park by the river that is owned by the groom’s family. I talked to the groom’s mom (she’s a friend of mine) and she said they made the bridal couple have a plan B in case of rain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Another option for Quiet Boy: VP Omnibus. Anyone have experience? Credits it covers? To me, it looks like it covers everything but math and science plus electives. We aren’t their brand of Christian, though.

I think it looks lovely but I've heard that it's overkill. Of course, you're mom, so you get to decide if he has to do the whole thing or not, so I think it would only be overkill if you weren't paying attention. JJM loves Old Western Culture. Both cover Literature, History and Bible.

11 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Another option for Quiet Boy: VP Omnibus. Anyone have experience? Credits it covers? To me, it looks like it covers everything but math and science plus electives. We aren’t their brand of Christian, though.

I think it would be as opposite of secular as you could get, imho.  Also Christian, but I wonder if Wes Callihan's stuff would be better?  Or maybe Adam Andrews online literature discussions (once a month, 2 hours)?  (Fwiw, I *think* Omnibus is supposed to a literature credit, history credit, and Bible credit if you do both primary and secondary.)

25 minutes ago, Slache said:

One of the things that I like about Old Western Culture is that the books are grouped into categories and taught by quarter, so if you decide you don't want to cover the philosophers until later you can skip that and cover something else for now.

Ahem!  Great minds and all that....  😊

14 hours ago, Slache said:

Servant has no siggy still. Lynn's is plain. Toto's is plain. Renai's is long. It has a blank point. Susan's has more than one font. Juliet is now Jaws. Krissi has it going on. Angi also has two fonts. Oooo, Bookie! You should put "soccer" for babiness. Quackers has mini quacks. She's pretending to have her ducks in a row but we know better. Critter has a good siggy. Paradox needs to update with curriculum. Maize's is corny.

These are my findings.

In the interest of transparency, my siggy has been updated.  

• Like 2

They talked me in to making breakfast. 😩😩 It was good. Bacon, waffles with homemade hot applesauce topping. The applesauce was ‘t As good as last time. I was a little heavy handed with the cloves. But it was still good. Now I need to clean up the kitchen.

Everyone is still sitting around the table. The little girls are pouring over the Rainbow Resource Christmas catalog. Oldest DD is telling us how disrespectful everyone in her classes are and how they don’t get anything done. I am trying to ignore this because it just ticks me off 😡😡😡 to think I got a job to pay for tuition for this school. And no, bringing them home is not an option. Honestly, even the ENB would be no match for what I would be up against if we decided to do that. It’s just not worth it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Last night some friends from our co op threw us a Celebration of Life party. You guys, it was all I could do not to cry, it was so beautiful. We laughed so hard my face still hurt this morning. For the first time, I feel really supported and loved having a baby. It's been incredible.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

2 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I don’t need it to be secular. Just all Christian faith friendly. Not “this Christian religion is evil/not really Christian and wrong and if you believe it then you are going to hell.”
I like the Old Masters one. I haven’t been on my Mac to check cost, though.
Quiet Boy would need to use the VP Self-Paced which put even Scotsman and I to sleep. So boring! IDK. I’m just kicking out ideas.

Memorial Press is like this. 

• Like 2

Our attitudes toward our kids affects in so many ways. I've been exhausted and cranky, and how I was dealing with Gymnast's violin practice and lessons were affected. I had to remind myself of making deposits and the balance to withdrawals. No matter how tired. Even when late to lessons. She likes violin, but I was sucking the love out of it. Being late resulted in her having a hard time getting into the lesson because I was caught up on her being late. I started telling her she can do well, do her best, regardless of how much time she had in the lesson. I'd make a point of writing down the positive things the teacher said during the lesson so I could remind her during practice of the good things her practice was producing. 

There has been a 180 in her approach to violin. We still have days when I just tell her to put the violin away because I don't want to deal with attitude, but not as many, and she started pulling it out on her own later in the day to practice. Some of it may be because she's growing up (will be 9 in January), but there's no denying the spark in the eye when something positive is noticed and remarked upon. 

I'm constantly reminding myself of this in other areas as we go through a period of me working way too much and being tired all the time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Slache said:

I don't think the fears are unfounded. I feel like half of my threads have turned into people telling me what I do wrong. "Teach the child you have" is not a common thread here, in my experience.

I agree.  

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Phone blip. 

I’m curious about Mosdos. Gonna go look it up in a bit. Thing is I haven’t taught literature before so I feel I need the TM, wkbk, the whole package. The Girl hates reading so is 4th a good place to start?

I haven't used the Teachers guide but everything I've seen about it says it's overwhelmingly complete.  Way too much information and options.   When we had the workbook, I'd have them read the story and then there were enough workbook pages for them to do 2 pages every single day for a week with some left over.    The textbook has questions of various types at the end of each story and those are plenty for us now because I don't feel like they need the vocabulary and copywork type stuff of the workbook.    I like that each story discusses some aspect of literary analysis or genre or something, then the story includes vocabulary definitions right at the bottom of the page if they need it, then the questions are a mix of comprehension "what happened in the story" type, then some general about the genre, some more thought-provoking ones, and a longer writing assignment.  I still do one story a week at least for the short story section.  Poetry may go faster.

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Especially if your kid is ‘behind’. He’s 15 and still  doing elementary maths?!? Shock and horror! Did you fail to see he is ASD?  Or my gifted  kid that we didn’t push. Why isn’t he doing calculus at 14? Cause he didn’t want to. Not teaching Latin or Greek?!? How can you call yourself a WTM follower? It’s enough to really  make you feel like a failure.

Anyway— MORNING ITT!! I’m lazing in bed with Captain who is watching Stinky Dirty on Amazon. He’s watched the 4 seasons enough to memorize them. Scotsman took the other kids to clean the Church. The Girl has practice there at 10 for the special kids’ presentation during our main meeting tomorrow.

Gotta clean bathrooms, do Costco, and finish laundry today. Everyone wants their bedding washed to clean off the sick germs.

Quiet Boy wants to go to The Homeschool Store to look at possible books. Online samples aren’t enough. I promised him after we would go to Sweet Tomatoes. Yum!!

I need to buy ASD Boy the next Wordly Wise book, too. I’m really on the fence on doing that, which I feel is busy work but he likes, or buying Word Roots by Critical Thinking. I’m not expecting long-term retention or anything. Opinions? VFCR is not a fit for him. And a writing workbook is the other need.

Dinner will be orange chicken and rice.

Good luck to belt testers today! You can do it! 

And as we all recently found out, God help you if you decide to use an online program or outsource classes.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess I felt the fears were unfounded because I'm rarely on the other boards anymore, and ignore anything that doesn't vibe with what I believe. I have so little brain matter left, anything not worthy of the little I have left is easily forgotten. I'm sorry you all have those experiences (and remember them, that hurts). 

This siggy is for Servant - take notes! There may be a quiz later (for 1.5 squillion points). I kinda sorta do this stuff.

Bilingual homeschooler

Dancer - 2018 Homeschool graduate with biliteracy seal
Gymnast - 2019-20 3rd grade

• Part-time public school tutorial class  
  • Math - Singapore; Mundo Matematico
  • Reading in English (Sonlight readers), Spanish (La Pata Pita Vuelve), and beginning Chinese
  • AAS 1 & 2;  Spanish spelling (alternating trimesters)
  • Grammar - Spanish text
  • Science - Spanish text; STEM baking
  • History/Social studies - Legacy Kits - African American history; Spanish text
  • Cooking - Kids Can Cook
  • Suzuki violin  
  • Chinese with Lingo Bus (referral link) and Sunday Chinese school 
  •  

Author of "28 Days to Family Language Learning: A step-by-step guide and journal"
Co-author of Amazon #1 Best Seller in 3 categories: "African American Homeschooling Mompreneurs"
Follow me on Facebook for up-to-date information on language learning in the home and current Spanish classes: https://www.facebook.com/AdelanteSpanishforAll/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Wow! A siggy really has room for that much info for every person?! No wonder I can't see them. They'd take up my whole screen!

<jawdrop> Feels like a curtain just lifted on a game show. Ta-da! Renai is Super Woman! 🏆

I'm telling you, it's more for me than anyone else. I check it periodically to see if I'm doing what I thought I should be...

• Like 2

Here's mine. I think it's handy to see the sort of things people use in case I might want to use them, too. #shiny  We're not necessarily going at the kind of pace some people do and not necessarily definitely not doing everything with each resource.

Sixth grade (2019-2020): Math Mammoth 6, Oak Meadow English 6 (Caveat emptor!) and Ancient Civilizations & online spelling from MBtP, Holt's Modern Biology, Homeschool Spanish Academy 1B, Big Book of Lively Latin, scouting, drums, spring track.

Getting ready for a storm? I share my checklists as a Google Sheet.
November exercise plan: 2 sessions (of 6) completed.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Slache said:

What? Why?

Long thread last week that Paradox started asking about the change to Calvert (I think?).  It went off track pretty fast and people were pretty disdainful about online schools and outsourcing.  Basically only done if you were super lazy and wanted your kids to teach themselves while you sat around eating bon-bons. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Long thread last week that Paradox started asking about the change to Calvert (I think?).  It went off track pretty fast and people were pretty disdainful about online schools and outsourcing.  Basically only done if you were super lazy and wanted your kids to teach themselves while you sat around eating bon-bons. 

I wanna sit around and eat bon-bons!

1 minute ago, myblessings4 said:

FWIW, no one on wtm has EVER critiqued or criticised my curriculum choices.  They only comment if I ask.  I have never felt judged.  Or maybe I have and was oblivious?

Yes.

• Like 2