Menu

Ignore this thread!

12 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Jean, did you pee? I probably would've peed.

I did not pee.  Instead, I looked for my hairbrush which apparently is my weapon of choice.  (Funny story, I had to call the police once about an alarm that went off in the middle of the night when I was housesitting.  The police wanted me to check down in the basement.  I told him "Are you crazy?  That's your job."  He looked at my hand brandishing my hairbrush and told me "I guess you're right.")  But then I looked at my music that was playing and thought, "that sound seems to have come from there".  So I rewound the music and sure enough there was that cough! 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Slache said:

John ate cherries in his Shirley Temple on Monday.
1. We're terrible parents.
2. He's not allergic to cherries. Apparently.

I don't know what this is.

Yay for cherries!

Elderberry syrup is made from elderberries, honey, and a wee bit of vodka (preservative) - this is my recipe, at least.  It is used to prevent viruses from taking over your body, I think similar to the the way zinc takes up the space in your cells so cold viruses can't attach themselves to the cell. I can't remember the details.  You can buy elderberry syrup at Walgreens, but I'm a bit skeptical of those because there's usually not enough elderberry concentration to do anything.

When ds15 was sick on Sunday with fever and throwing up, I had him take a tablespoon every 3 hours and he was completely over it by bedtime.  Maybe it was just a quick moving virus.  Or maybe it was the magical elderberry syrup.  

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Sorry. I was just surprised because you seem to be SuperMom at juggling, balancing, and organizing all the things while somehow keeping up with everything here, too. I think it was just last week that I asked for the recipe.

That's the beauty of ITT. You don't have to keep up!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Who needs points and for what? I feel like I missed something.

Everyone may or may not need points and they are used for whatever or nothing at all.  ITT is very accomodating that way.

YES!! It's an ITT Points Policy Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends.
People started posting not knowing what it was,
And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends
You'd best come join it with your friends
'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze
And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there
They'll cheer you up so don't despair
The group is growing well as more people start checking in
And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz
It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too
Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on
with record-setting length and fun
It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity
and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...
And the place where one finds special friends,
the kind that have hearts that are strong and true
Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends
Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps
But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps.

I had no idea when I entered in
That what seems a little nuts might actually save me
From going insane on days that are crazy 🤗

This is the thread that never ends....

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Bookie: Thank you! I just put Give Your Child the World in my Amazon cart and wondered if I should also get Honey for a Child's Heart, too? I can't believe I'm looking at books of booklists and getting excited. Never thought I'd see the day.

I may have the Honey book still on my shelf. You can have it if I find it - tomorrow. 

Just now, Paradox5 said:

NOOOO!! Save yourself!! I’m surprised it hasn’t been locked or erased yet. I’m really embarrassed by it.

I knew some people had particular thoughts, but am surprised about some others, and their delivery of said thoughts. Don't worry, I started with the last page, then went to the first page to see where the derailing began. I don't plan to go any further. 

I was unpleasantly surprised. Don't be embarrassed. People's thoughts are their own.

Does the original poster no longer have the authority to delete their own posts anymore? I thought that was a thing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

the huge, wandering thread Paradox posted in K-8, and I have something to say to those of you who read it and now feel like "bad" homeschoolers. Are you listening? I'll speak up, so everyone can hear me.

***IF WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS WORKING FOR YOUR FAMILY, YOU WIN AT HOMESCHOOLING***

For real. I'll give you the trophy myself. Not one of you are negligent homeschoolers, and anyone who wants to somehow shame you for meeting the needs of YOUR kids ought to be ashamed of themselves. I applaud each of you.

That is all.

I made the mistake of going back and reading more.  I shouldn't have.   I wanted to jump in and argue.  But knew that would be a mistake.  It's wasn't an argument that could be won.  So I let it go and satisfied myself with liking certain posts/posters to show some support since I chickened out on continuing to post.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2019 at 4:32 PM, Paradox5 said:

I’m sitting in the schoolroom thinking, “ Why am I so cold?” I go check the thermostat. It’s set to 68 AC!!! Apparently one of the kids was hot and turned it on. SIGH! I think my kids are so used to being hot that any feeling of heat like from the heating being on makes them feel like they are roasting.

Lol---if our thermostat is set at 68, it's because my dh hasn't noticed yet that I snuck by and cranked it up that high.  He keeps it at 62 and thinks I'm absolutely crazy to want it at 68.   

9 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Okay folks, I just finished the huge, wandering thread Paradox posted in K-8, and I have something to say to those of you who read it and now feel like "bad" homeschoolers. Are you listening? I'll speak up, so everyone can hear me.

***IF WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS WORKING FOR YOUR FAMILY, YOU WIN AT HOMESCHOOLING***

For real. I'll give you the trophy myself. Not one of you are negligent homeschoolers, and anyone who wants to somehow shame you for meeting the needs of YOUR kids ought to be ashamed of themselves. I applaud each of you.

That is all.

Amen.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renai said:

I knew some people had particular thoughts, but am surprised about some others, and their delivery of said thoughts. Don't worry, I started with the last page, then went to the first page to see where the derailing began. I don't plan to go any further. 

I was unpleasantly surprised. Don't be embarrassed. People's thoughts are their own.

Does the original poster no longer have the authority to delete their own posts anymore? I thought that was a thing.

Agreed. Definitely don't feel embarrassed, Paradox.  Your posts were great; the hijacking was not cool.  

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

I made the mistake of going back and reading more.  I shouldn't have.   I wanted to jump in and argue.  But knew that would be a mistake.  It's wasn't an argument that could be won.  So I let it go and satisfied myself with liking certain posts/posters to show some support since I chickened out on continuing to post.

I did the same.... lots of liking (of all y'all); but no posting (though there is tons I'd sure like to say).  I've done that once before on this topic and it was one time too many.

• Like 2

Trophies for me for finally figuring out how to multi quote on this new platform!  (I know.  So obvious, and the platform is hardly new anymore.)

Yesterday's labor did me in.  I can't figure out if I'm suffering from allergies, or mildly ill, or just old.   Probably just old.  I held up long enough to get us all through Bible study, and have been useless ever since.  

Actually, I'm remembering now that I only got 3 hours of interrupted sleep last night, so that's one likely culprit, too.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Our favorite Christmas movie is The Muppet Christmas Carol. I'm not allowed to suggest it until after Thanksgiving, though. We also have Charlie Brown Christmas. The best part- Linus on that stage.

That's right, no Christmas movies until Thanksgiving!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am home. In bed. Two of three cats have been located and given the boot. Third cat is AWOL. Two of four children are in bed. DH is in a bus somewhere in South Korea, supposedly on his way to the airport. He rather likes South Korea. Maybe I should go with him next time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Church people who were supposed to come for dinner apparently didn't know so didn't show. More cake for us!! Does this happen to you, too, Maize? 

Embarrassing truth: my home is rarely clean enough for guests so I rarely invite them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I didn't think the Calvert thread was so awful. Maybe because I like the people who were posting even if we don't always agree.

I feel pretty strongly about "mental health comes first and trumps all other priorities".

Maybe I'll post a spin-off.

Edited by maize
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We are meeting a new cello teacher today.

Ds14 took cello for a couple of years when he was younger. He has been asking to take lessons again, and now ds9 and ds7 both say they want to do cello as well.

I'm going to see if the teacher is willing to do lessons every other week; teachers don't usually like that because kids don't progress as fast and because it is simpler to schedule weekly but I'm hoping she'll be sympathetic to the fact that lessons for three kids is tough on the budget and as homeschoolers we can use daytime slots that don't need to fit around others in her studio.

Edited by maize
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I went back and read this, too. So beautiful. You are amazing!

Servie, I responded to your attempt to pull it back round the twist. AND added a little at the end which should end the thread, in theory. Read it and tell me what you think.

I hope it works, I love your post.  

I think part of what bothered me about that thread was that I like a lot of the people posting and I felt they were being very judgmental and harsh about people's choices.   I was surprised to see it from some of them.  

• Like 3

My house is beyond embarrassing and crossing into some other territory now.   I already mentioned how I forgot to do laundry last weekend.   I spent my week off and last weekend getting all classes and school planned for two weeks, to get through to Thanksgiving.  Since I wont' have to spend this coming weekend working on classes or school, I should be able to get a lot of cleaning done then.  It's just for this week that things are BAD.

• Like 4