Menu

Ignore this thread!

10 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Time to tackle the mountain of dishes I created this morning making breakfast for the family. They love waking up to breakfast smells and I love that they come to the table smiling through the sleepy.

What did you make?

I'm hoping I'll feel inspired to cook if you tell me.

ETA it's a breakfast booyah!

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

Good Morning!!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday Eve!!!

Busy day today. The girls are doing an Art Hike, which should be very cool and interesting. They will hike somewhere in the foothills and then paint a picture, I think. I will tell you more when we get back. I have to visit two families. And then dinner at my parents’ house tonight.

DH comes home today.

• Like 5

Happy Nirthday, Susan,❤️❤️❤️❤️🍫🍫🍫🎉🎉🎉🎁🎁🎁🎁🎈🎈🎈🎈

This is one of those times I wish we weren’t all so far flung and busy. We need to get together at some cool little cafe for a luncheon that lasts all afternoon and we all just sit there and laugh and laugh and laugh.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Paradox, your megathread refuses to die, but at least it's back on topic 😁

Watching all this megathread business, and I just have to say......Y'all are truly awesome people.  ((((ITT))))

I'm not sure if it's even needed in this case, but does anyone know if an OP can request that a thread be closed to further comments?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Happy birthday, Susan!

2 hours ago, Slache said:

It's not kind to tackle old people.

No kidding!  It was much different when The Youngers were all under the age of 9.  Now they are all over 5 feet tall and primarily struggle to shove each other off the bed to get the prime tackling positions.

2 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Happy nirthday, Susan!!  👑

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Happy Nirthday, Susan,❤️❤️❤️❤️🍫🍫🍫🎉🎉🎉🎁🎁🎁🎁🎈🎈🎈🎈

This is one of those times I wish we weren’t all so far flung and busy. We need to get together at some cool little cafe for a luncheon that lasts all afternoon and we all just sit there and laugh and laugh and laugh.

Thank you very much! :wub:

Dh made quiche cups for breakfast - a thin slice of turkey in a muffin cup for the "crust" and filled with quiche stuff.  Very tasty.  We also had bacon and strawberries.  And coffee.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

As of this morning, I have lost 47 pounds (since June).  Only 13 more to go.  Though my health coach doesn't pay much attention to the scale weight numbers - she's mainly concerned with percentages of fat/visceral fat/muscle/etc.  I'm not sure what the scale will say when I'm ready for the maintenance phase.  I've gained 8 lbs of muscle and gone from a 12 to 8 in visceral fat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

16 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

As of this morning, I have lost 47 pounds (since June).  Only 13 more to go.  Though my health coach doesn't pay much attention to the scale weight numbers - she's mainly concerned with percentages of fat/visceral fat/muscle/etc.  I'm not sure what the scale will say when I'm ready for the maintenance phase.  I've gained 8 lbs of muscle and gone from a 12 to 8 in visceral fat.

WOO-HOOOOO!!!!  And it's your Nirthday too!!!    Happy Nirthday, and CONGRATULATIONS!  

• Thanks 1

I got second sleep, rotated laundry, got the chicken in the crock pot and refereed the spaghetti wars.

5 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Good morning!

***EdPo***

When you're feeling better and have time, I'd love to hear more specifically how YOU'RE using TG. I keep tracking mine.... Let's go Amazon! Can't you deliver mine by drone?

We read World Explorers and Discoverers, the Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide, What's Where on Earth?, Destinations of a Lifetime, Lonely Planet Travel and/or Lonely Planet Animals over breakfast. Later we run through our geography drills and get our maps out. Our focus is map making which we used the Draw the World book for at first but are now using (free) outline maps for more detail because the Draw the World series is a million dollars. So we draw the map then add the details from the book we read over breakfast. Popular food, ecosystem, journey of a famous explorer, etc. We are constantly starting new maps to refine our skills. We are also using Draw Squad and Classical Astronomy as well doing various art projects and recipes from the areas studied. I have attached the general layout in a PDF. We do this in 4 days a week. Ish...

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I want mac n cheese, but I don't want to make it. Also, I have no mac n cheese. 

You know what else sounds really good? Taco Bell.

Are you pregnant?

Geography Overview.pdf

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

More edpo. 

I have an ANKI deck that covers country name to photo, photo to country name, country to capital, capital to country and flag to country so I'm not worried about that. This is from my original plan of the curriculum:

The Purpose of This Study

1. To gain a deep understanding of all regions and many countries through map making.
  2. To memorize political borders, ecosystems and natural landmarks around the world.
  3. To memorize geographical terminology for the purpose of understanding the culture.
  • Like 1

I went to art this morning, and I feel both stressed and relaxed. Relaxed because I did art. Stressed because I didn't write. But I'm writing this afternoon, and continuing to sketch December's painting to keep me comfortable and creatively charged. I have some gourds, an underwater fish picture, and a few sketches for my novel. I'm painting an image I love from each chapter.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

The truly unfortunate part is that even if I had the mac n cheese, I would eat three bites of it and be not only disgustingly full, but have heartburn.

The things we do for our kids.

Yes. I have much in common with Linda Blair during my pregnancies.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I went to art this morning, and I feel both stressed and relaxed. Relaxed because I did art. Stressed because I didn't write. But I'm writing this afternoon, and continuing to sketch December's painting to keep me comfortable and creatively charged. I have some gourds, an underwater fish picture, and a few sketches for my novel. I'm painting an image I love from each chapter.

Do you visualize everything in your head when you write?

• Like 1

Done with classes but still at the science center.  I'm hosting a game day today but only one family showed up and the kids are all younger so I don't feel right making dd play with them.  I feel bad when it's just one group that shows up, but if I don't continue to host, it won't get any bigger.   Usually there is one guaranteed family (my co-host who really is the one who runs things) but she wasn't able to make it today.   

So anyway, I'm feeling awkward.  They seem to be having fun playing amongst themselves, but I feel awkward.   I'm feeding the turtle, doing dishes and straightening up so can't play myself.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

But Renai, PLEASE??

Our first Christmas movie watched each season is The Miracle on 34th Street and we watch it on Thanksgiving day. That was with compromising with dh who wants to watch it (and others) sooner, lol!

14 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I'm going to say yes, because I always say yes to a well-done booklist book. I enjoy Honey for a Child's Heart, but in the interest of full disclosure I'll also confess to owning The Read-Aloud Handbook and A Read-Aloud Family, too (as well as printouts of several online booklists). I may have a condition. 

Do you have the 1000 Great Books list sorted by age range?

8 hours ago, maize said:

Embarrassing truth: my home is rarely clean enough for guests so I rarely invite them.

Same.

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Happy birthday, Susan. Here- have some cake.

I have to pay bills today, school The Girl, find a science we can live with, and take Captain shopping for Thomas the Tank Engine unders. 

About the science, The Girl is finding Tiner boring and y’all know the issue with Quiet Boy. She is also starting to throw fits about copying Saxon out. I have been doing it just so she gets it done but I don’t want to do that long term. She says she likes Saxon but it takes too long to write it out. I suggested CLE because sane spiral but no copying. We are on lesson 60. 

Saxon also has worktexts that can be written in.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

She wrote in the text or worksheets book? I haven't tried Saxon but I've seen it a couple times and have friends who love it. At some point, I remember telling myself it's way too expensive. Then you posted a link and I just looked and it's actually cheaper than what I'm using by about $10.

It's a worktext. It has all the teaching and problems in it, and she wrote in it. Unless it's changed since she used it, which is possible, since it was about 6 years ago. I don't remember a worksheets book. 

Nope. Just looked at the samples. 3rd edition, paperback worktext. She wrote in it.

• Like 1

I just read one of the questions at the bottom of the reviews for Saxon, about whether the book is nonconsumable. The answer was it was to be nonconsumable, but many have students write in the book. That's what we did. It would have been impossible to 1) have my highly dyslexic daughter copying problems, and 2) have a paperback text survive a year of use and be resold anyway, so why not?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our Art Hike today was absolutely delightful. I wish I could figure out how to get pictures from my phone to the iPad.  It was in the foothills and there were 10 kids and they all had easels and the teacher showed them how to paint the mountain and the weather was perfect and the sky was blue with clouds and all the colors around us were just gold and dark greens and yellows and browns. It was really quite magical. And we got visited by a cow and her twin calves. The girls had a great time.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Gram's Pennslyvania Dutch Chocolate Cake (sounds impressive, huh?)

In a small pot, heat while stirring until boiling and allow to cool:

4oz UNSWEETENED baker's chocolate

1 cup packed light brown sugar

1 cup milk (whole or 2%)

While cooling, in a medium bowl beat until blended:

1 stick softened butter

1 cup packed light brown sugar

Add and beat until combined:

1/2 cup milk (whole or 2%)

2 eggs

1 tsp. REAL vanilla extract (none of that fake stuff!)

1 tsp. baking SODA

Stir in cooled chocolate mixture, then beat in 2 cups all-purpose flour

Pour into a non-stick sprayed 9x13 pan. Give the pan a shake and shimmy to release some air bubbles. Bake at 350 about 20-25 mins. or until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean. Do not over bake! A little underdone is better than overdone! Allow to cool on a wire rack. This cake forms its own "frosting" but you can dust the top with powdered sugar, if you like. Makes a wonderful sundae base when topped with ice cream, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce. Even the crumbs are yum!

I've made this cake dairy and gluten free. Still is wonderful.

butter: use palm shortening

milk: use almond, soy, or coconut (rice milk is too watery)

flour: I used the mix from Cooking for Isaiah by SIlvana Nordone

This is officially in the ITT cookbook. Has anybody else been keeping up with this when I was absent?...

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

This is what it is like for me when I read.

Not me.

My brain isn't good at visualizing unless I am dreaming.

When you read, do you say/hear each word in your head or do you kind of lose conscious track of the words and become mostly aware of the movie?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I hear the words and see the movie.

Same.

6 minutes ago, Slache said:

But it's important to me that he eats fish. I did a thread like a week ago and have some ideas.

We've covered this already: sometimes, it's not about you...

• Like 1