Menu

Ignore this thread!

Secret message added. :ph34r:

21 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

:wub:

19 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Dd had her first black belt test today and did amazing.  You could see she was extremely nervous/anxious at the beginning but she got right into it quickly.

Awesome!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Slache said:

I want some tea!

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

This is Slache we’re talking about. She totally would announce it. 

A secret message for Slache  :ph34r::  Rule #1 of secret messages is to not tell Slache.  #h

Edited by lots of little ducklings
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, maize said:

If it's Celtic fiddling you want you really can't beat our very own Well Trained Mind boards fledgling Haley Richardson:

https://www.wgbh.org/celtic/2019/09/19/fiddler-haley-richardson-returns-for-a-christmas-celtic-sojourn

She spent the summer in Ireland doing Riverdance shows.

I saw that once - maybe a link from the highschool board.  That's so awesome! 

2 hours ago, maize said:

Belt test was over four hours long--9:00-1:20.

I came home and ate pizza and chocolate.

I remembered my katas and bo form. I got to practice grappling with another mom who was testing, that was fun.

Good job!!!

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

I can post a picture of a handsome true Scotsman in a kilt.

I’m out of reactions but logging back in on my phone is a pain. Just know I have lots of likes and trophys and laughs to hand out!

I'm outta likes too!  😩

1 hour ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Ummm....yes? It says The Ducks Have Run Amok.  Which is secret code for:  The ducks have run amok.

BUT you reminded me that I used to have a secret message embedded in my siggy, so now I've added one again.  

Find it??

Shhh.... don't tell anyone.

ETA: Some of you can't see emojis, can you?  Hmmmm..... That would be problematic.   Good luck with that.

CHOCOLATE!!

56 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Dd had her first black belt test today and did amazing.  You could see she was extremely nervous/anxious at the beginning but she got right into it quickly.

20191109_153945.jpg

20191109_164322.jpg

Yay for your dd and great pictures!!

33 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

This is Slache we’re talking about. She totally would announce it. 

😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

My siggy, for Servie:

🦆Mama Duck 📕📗📖                🦆 💃DD 9.  📘📙📚

The chocolate is hidden in the tea tin!                                                                                              📚    📖    🦆 👟👟DS 12 📓  ✏️  📗     

📓    🦆 DD 7.5🔥🌩️🔥 🧨🔥🦆 DS 5.5 📙

🦆 🐈DD 10.5📘📔

This siggy no longer makes sense for me. It's full of empty boxes and random spaces. I do see a few books and some fire. Oh, well. 😞 Yes, I saw the secret messages, but there's a lot of blank spaces that pushes some things to the middle or off-center. Does it look that way to everyone else?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I put about 20 coats of spray gloss stuff on the little wood drawers, but it's going to need more tomorrow.  It's made of (cheap) pine, so it's sucking up the stuff pretty thoroughly.  However, dh helped me figure out how to attach the number dates onto the drawers using dd16's leftover Fred braces bands, so major free score on that one!

• Like 4

The wedding was quite beautiful. It was situated with the guests looking out over the river. The river is very low this time of year and is very brushy. But some of the trees are turning color and the whole effect was quite lovely. There are huge oak and cottonwood trees there and there were lights strung between them. And the cottonwoods and oaks are turning color a bit and now and then a leaf would drop. Honestly, it was quite magical. They served a nice dinner and we sat and chatted with some friends. It was a nice evening.

• Like 6

Good morning!

Busy day today.  Nothing compaired to an average "Maize Day" for sure. Dd13 and I are playing for church services this morning.  Ds14 has a rehearsal at 2 and I have a dress rehearsal at 4.  The Vienna Boys Choir is singing at my rehearsal place tonight, but I didn't think ahead to get tickets.  Oh well.

Coffee!

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Busy day today.  Nothing compaired to an average "Maize Day" for sure. Dd13 and I are playing for church services this morning.  Ds14 has a rehearsal at 2 and I have a dress rehearsal at 4.  The Vienna Boys Choir is singing at my rehearsal place tonight, but I didn't think ahead to get tickets.  Oh well.

Coffee!

Vienna Boys Choir!  Wow!  Maybe you can crash it?  😱  

• Like 4

Hello all! 

Just got home from two nights in a row and need to sleep for night number three.  

Toto, your daughter looks like a superhero! Amazing!! 
Fall weddings sound beautiful. 
I need to update my siggy. I forgot it was there.  
Please forgive any errors from my tired brain.

Good night!😴

• Like 6

Thank you for all the lovely comments about dd.  I was trying to "like" and something went screwy so "Like" Them All!

I've been placing a lot of orders for my science center this past week.   First session is done so I have a better feel for how many I have in a class and what kind of things will work with them, I've used up some of the stuff I had over the summer, so it was time to order.  

One of the things I ordered was little plastic clip-on label holders for plastic bins.  $15 for 100, no big deal, little plastic things.   UPS marked them "Delivery Attempted" and now I have to go pick it up.  The wouldn't leave it because no one was home.  Except someone was home, all day including at the time they said it was attempted.  But we also have a ton of packages just left outside.  My $100 microscope was just left outside at the gate but these stupid $15 clips couldn't be?   

• Like 4

I"m tired and cranky.  I stayed up until midnight working on classes but I now have just one more left to do, and some activities to pick out and I'll have everything done for the first two weeks, which brings us to Thanksgiving when I'm off for a week and can work on the weeks from there until Christmas break.

Once I finish the last class, I need to set up school for the next two weeks.  I need the last class to do that, since it's dd math class.

I have to head over to the science center today to reorganize books in the cubes I rearranged and put together a few other things, then it's all ready to go.  My cleaning person will come in tomorrow morning.

• Like 4

Yesterday dd ordered delivery from Whole Foods for the first time. I was there for the entire delivery window. Juliet was also there and didn’t bark once. At the end of the window I peeked outside and our delivery was sitting there. No one knocked or rang the bell and our frozen stuff was squishy.  Nothing had to be thrown out or anything but I was not amused. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yesterday dd ordered delivery from Whole Foods for the first time. I was there for the entire delivery window. Juliet was also there and didn’t bark once. At the end of the window I peeked outside and our delivery was sitting there. No one knocked or rang the bell and our frozen stuff was squishy.  Nothing had to be thrown out or anything but I was not amused. 

That is not good. Call them up and tell them!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Random question you may ignore if you like:  (🤣)  Is there anything you do in your life now or anything you're engaged in (whether it's a responsibility or a hobby or work or whatever) that is such a natural fit for you that it is easy and effortless and you feel little or no resistance to beginning it or seeing it through to the end?  If not, is there anything which comes close?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Random question you may ignore if you like:  (🤣)  Is there anything you do in your life now or anything you're engaged in (whether it's a responsibility or a hobby or work or whatever) that is such a natural fit for you that it is easy and effortless and you feel little or no resistance to beginning it or seeing it through to the end?  If not, is there anything which comes close?

To some degree homeschooling fits that bill. That doesn’t mean that I haven’t struggled with curriculum changes and even burnout at times. But at its core it is an extension of how I parent. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Genealogy is something I do that I enjoy doing and feel drawn to do so that starting isn't hard and stopping is. 

I wouldn't say the actual process of doing is easy, and seeing it through to the end ... well, they're isn't really an end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Leading Bible study.  It's actually a huge study with a team of about 40 women leading it, so I'm just one of many.  I'm not sure I'd say it's effortless?  But the work is a delight, the reward is far greater than what I put into it, and the people are gold.  Plus my kids get tons out of it too, and other people manage them for me so I'm free to do my thing without juggling mom duties.  I come home each week filled instead of drained.

ETA:  Homeschooling kind of fits this, too.  I'd be a terrible institutional-school parent, but parenting/schooling at home is a natural fit with my personality and gifts. That said, it's HARD.  Some aspects of it harder than others (especially since my introverted self has a hard time finding space to recharge).  And the reward isn't immediate so it takes more effort to push through to the finish line.  

Edited by lots of little ducklings
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Baking bread.

• Like 2

My life was simple before I hurt my back. I naturally slept well, naturally got up early, naturally worked out, school followed. It was good. It was me.

Now I struggle with my routine daily, but my role as a mother and teacher is natural. I know when to extend grace, when to tighten the reins, when to push forward and when to let go. I know how to tie our studies into day-to-day living and how to surround them with things that will pique their interest so that they pursue further study.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I took a nap.

Then I lay in bed with my phone going through DNA genealogy stuff. My brother is supposed to call today so we can talk about the genealogy brick wall I am working on and see if his background in data analysis can be useful.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

No. I love all my hobbies and work, but most of my pursuits are things that require me to put in the effort to enjoy them. I'm finally beginning to be comfortable with that idea, and to even embrace it as a sign of growth. 

• Like 4

I spent the last beautiful fall day out at the river with my boys. They boated. I wroted, and danced around screaming once when a walking stick crawled up my neck from behind. Other than that, it was a non-eventful, gorgeous, marvelous day full of wind, water, and the understanding that while I didn't have a clue where my kids were on that river, they were probably doing fine and having a good time. They were. Came home, and started dinner. Went outside and gathered a bunch of unusual mushrooms to sketch on watercolor paper so I can paint them whenever I want some time with the paint brush. 

It was nice to have a day out. I had a moment of imposter syndrome yesterday about my writing, which is very rare for me. I'm usually able to ignore that voice of doubt and remember that whatever I write tomorrow will always be better than what I write today, due to the experience factor. When I can't, that's usually a sign that I need a little river peace to settle me down and remind me that really, all that doubt is just there to remind me to work hard, but also to remind me to remember why I write. Which has nothing to do with being great, well-respected, published, or anything else. 

• Like 3