Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

No. Sorry, I know it's hard to remember without me having a siggy. Oldest is 8yr old fourth grader. I THINK you guys use the term ds8 for this but I'm not sure.

Ah. Here's where having it in the signature would help, yes. In that case, read all the books! A bit out loud and mostly to oneself. Talk about some of them. And that's all for reading at this age IMO.

Maybe it's Paradox who recently mentioned an 8th-grader and that's why I'm confused?

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

If I ditch our reading curriculum, what do I replace it with? Reading book after book is something Oldest enjoys but how do I turn that into the rest of our school year? I don't know what I'm supposed to actually teach in reading. I wonder if there is a reading list that goes with TGWG that I just ordered. Guess we'll soon see. If there are actual books that could double (or triple) as geography, history, and reading to go along, I would be absolutely over the moon happy. Calling out an SOS to the ITT research team!

At your kids ages we just read book after book. In my opinion making kids “learn something “ from books is often artificial and kills the love of reading. I started to use some literature guides in middle school when my kids were 11 and 12. (But I am a bit of a formal ed rebel so...). 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Ah. Here's where having it in the signature would help, yes. In that case, read all the books! A bit out loud and mostly to oneself. Talk about some of them. And that's all for reading at this age IMO.

Maybe it's Paradox who recently mentioned an 8th-grader and that's why I'm confused?

We do novels for our reading. If you feel like you need a bit more, then The Novel Ties study guides are good. You can find them on Amazon, Rainbow Resource, anywhere and they have a ton of them for all ages. I really like them,

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

If I ditch our reading curriculum, what do I replace it with? Reading book after book is something Oldest enjoys but how do I turn that into the rest of our school year? I don't know what I'm supposed to actually teach in reading. I wonder if there is a reading list that goes with TGWG that I just ordered. Guess we'll soon see. If there are actual books that could double (or triple) as geography, history, and reading to go along, I would be absolutely over the moon happy. Calling out an SOS to the ITT research team!

26 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Agree.

21 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

At your kids ages we just read book after book. In my opinion making kids “learn something “ from books is often artificial and kills the love of reading. I started to use some literature guides in middle school when my kids were 11 and 12. (But I am a bit of a formal ed rebel so...). 

Agree.  

Just read.  And have him narrate if you feel you must.  Or better yet send him off to play with legos or playmobile afterwards and he will "narrate" without you asking, lol.  You could look at Ambleside Online to see an example of good books that double as geography, history, natural science, etc.  Check out Year 2.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep up the good work, Jean!

I stopped by the thrift store and the best sleds were gone but they had a couple decent ones left.  As soon as I got home, dd10 and dd13 took them to the park to try them out.  They said they worked perfectly even though there is more grass than snow.  Dd13 said it was the most fun she's had in a long time and they couldn't stop giggling.  I suggested that might be an initial sign of hypothermia.  :laugh:

Hot chocolate, mac & cheese, and kiwis have been consumed for lunch.  Dh is taking the boys out to dinner for ds15's birthday since the girls and I will be at youth orchestra rehearsal tonight.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, maize said:

Are the others sick?

Maybe strep?

Yes. I have never been tested/treated for that.

5 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Awwww, shucks!  Thank you for thinking of me.  ❤️😍😢🇺🇸😊😘

Not really.  😜

NINE!!!!?????  Svengo!!!!  Happy Nirthday!

Oh NO!!!  Were you glutened?  Or was it the crazy wind?

Wind? Is that crazy? I was sick immediately after. Like I inhaled something.

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

No dying. Rules and all. Drink hot honey and lemon water for your throat. I hope you feel better soon.

Ok, mom. Thank you.

3 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  I will probably think today is Monday all day.  I worked yesterday, but everyone else stayed home and that always throws me off.  Ds has been driven to school (I was hoping for a delay so he wouldn't have to go, but nope) and I'm having coffee.  

Working today after I pick ds back up.   School for both of them there.  Leftovers for supper.  Maybe I'll wash a load of towels after this load of blankets finishes.  Nothing else going on today.

It's 27 degrees with wind-chill of 8, y'all!

I know. It was 85 yesterday afternoon and now it's snowing.

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

I would do this:

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

How does this work?

Figuratively Speaking has 40 short chapters to introduce literary terms and techniques. In each, there is a term with a definition and some examples, and then exercises let us try identifying and/or copying the technique.

It covers denotation and connotation, hyperbole, idiom, imagery, metaphor and simile, oxymoron, paradox, personification, symbols, alliteration, assonance, consonance, form, onomatopoeia, parallelism, repetition and refrain, rhyme, rhythm (very lightly--doesn't name the various feet), run-on vs. end-stopped lines, stanzas, allusion, characterization, conflict, dialect, dialogue, flashback, foreshadowing, genre, irony, local color, mood and tone, moral and theme, point of view, plot, poetic license, pun, rhetorical question, satire and parody, story within a story, stream of consciousness, surprise ending, and suspense.

We like it well enough. I don't make DS do most of the written exercises. We do one chapter a week.

Edited by whitehawk
parallelism :)
  • Like 1

For literature before high school classes (taken at tutorial) I just get together reading lists for each child that coordinate with history and maybe another "fun" book or two thrown in if needed.  Every 3 books or so (depending on which books I can find them for) I will have them do a literature study guide.  There are lots available free online or I purchase from TeachersPayTeachers, which has a lot of well done, reasonably priced literature study guides. They do get some literature study that is incorporated into Writing & Rhetoric as well.

• Like 1

Ok, apparently it was the wind, literally (see what I did there?) the cold. Cold stress causes the blood cells to inflame quickly causing immune responses mimicking a cold. I imagine that's why we call them colds, because before we understood germs we thought it was all caused by the cold.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 10:40 AM, Another Lynn said:

Random question you may ignore if you like:  (🤣)  Is there anything you do in your life now or anything you're engaged in (whether it's a responsibility or a hobby or work or whatever) that is such a natural fit for you that it is easy and effortless and you feel little or no resistance to beginning it or seeing it through to the end?  If not, is there anything which comes close?

Eating.

Cooking and baking good things to eat.

Thinking of wonderful ideas, whether or not they are actually followed through...

On 11/10/2019 at 12:28 PM, Servant4Christ said:

I took out all my frustration on the bathroom and now it is absolutely sparkling. I think I cleaned the cranky right out of me. 😊

I need to get back to doing this. I used to bake every time I was upset. There was a summer and fall I was baking ALL the time. Dh thought it was about him, and my love for baking. Well, it was about him, but not in the way he thought...

On 11/10/2019 at 4:09 PM, Slache said:

I'm not going to comment on the nail thing so y'all can go on thinking my kids are perfect.

It's a John screams like a little girl booya!

Let him know that if he plays violin, he will have to keep his nails trimmed.

I have not read all the things.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Happy Birthday, John and Susan's Ds!!!!  Somehow I missed those.  I guess this is why the Slaches braved that awful weather to go out?

It rained all morning, but at least was warm enough to work.  The kids moved piles of rocks and raked and cleaned up the yard toys and put the bikes under the treehouse for winter protection.  I emptied the shed, discarded all the carp, and repacked the shed neatly, including some stuff from the garage (like the lawnmower and tiller) that needed to be moved there.  The carp pile is enormous... Dh will have to haul it to his company's dumpster.  No wonder he couldn't fit anything in the shed (or get anything out).  

I did not find any dead mice. 

I was annoyed about the kids missing a day of school, but when they went back inside, hours before me, they decided to play school.  Several are researching and preparing presentation right now.  😂 

Also we ate lunch at Panera because even if there was food in the house (which there isn't) the dining room table is stacked high with Playmobil.  Chicken soup and rice warmed me up.  So now to work more on the garage itself.  It's an attached garage so at least it has a little warmth from the house. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

EdPo:

School went well today. I feel like we’ve been slacking off for some reason. I don’t know why I feel that way. We are waaaaay behind in grammar and it feels like we are plodding through our reading book. We’re only in Unit 5 of 14 in science. We are where we are supposed to be in Spelling, though. Latin we are so-so. We’re going a little slower than is indicated, but that’s ok.  We are almost done with California history. Reading the story of the Donner Party about did me in. Most history texts dedicate a paragraph or maybe a small section to the Donner Party because it is so brutal. I have this amazing book called “Pioneer California” and it has the whole story. It was brutal. And the sad part about it was that it really could have been prevented. A series of poor choices brought them to that point, but what did these people know? Anyhow, it was a pretty awful story.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We fondued (fondid?) at a restaurant with DH's parents for his nirthday. Party Season is already driving me slightly batty. Eight to eleven weeks to go, depending on when we squeeze in a party for DS.

But at least it's not Donner Party Season, despite what you might hear about the reindeer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Happy Birthday to all the ITT birthday people.  

I thought Monday's were my long days but today felt awful long too.  Three classes, then math with dd, then run her home, go back to clean and tutor, then rush home, meet dh and the kids in the driveway (tutor mom wanted to talk), drop dd at tkd, go to gym for an hour, back to pick up dd, drop dh at my mom's to borrow her car, home.  Ate dinner at 8pm.   

I had 3 students that are new this session today and one who tried out a couple classes.  Maybe that's why it seemed longer.  

Three classes tomorrow and my annual physical, but then I'm done for the day.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know of a wheeled backpack or totebag or suitcase that is really really good over gravel and rough ground?  I have a nice wheeled backpack that I really like but I think the wheels are going to be done soon from rolling over our gravel walkway and driveway.  I need wheels to bring my laptop and planner and class notebook and files and all kinds of other stuff and my back can't handle it.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Does anyone know of a wheeled backpack or totebag or suitcase that is really really good over gravel and rough ground?  I have a nice wheeled backpack that I really like but I think the wheels are going to be done soon from rolling over our gravel walkway and driveway.  I need wheels to bring my laptop and planner and class notebook and files and all kinds of other stuff and my back can't handle it.  

Or maybe get a small dolly?  Those wheels might be bigger than backpack wheels?  Maybe something like this?  https://smile.amazon.com/BlueJan-A-1-Luggage-Cart/dp/B01FX9F37C/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=travel+dolly&qid=1573611498&sr=8-5

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Or maybe get a small dolly?  Those wheels might be bigger than backpack wheels?  Maybe something like this?  https://smile.amazon.com/BlueJan-A-1-Luggage-Cart/dp/B01FX9F37C/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=travel+dolly&qid=1573611498&sr=8-5

That could work.  I actually have one.  It's not super sturdy but does have large sturdy wheels and I could probably even figure out a way to attach my current backpack to it.   Probably better to at least try that before buying something new.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

That could work.  I actually have one.  It's not super sturdy but does have large sturdy wheels and I could probably even figure out a way to attach my current backpack to it.   Probably better to at least try that before buying something new.  

Bungee Cords!  😊  That's how I used to do the homeschool conference - travel dolly and bungee cord - back in my curricula buying hay-day.  😂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Slache said:

Fonduededid.

My favorite word!

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

56 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Bungee Cords!  😊  That's how I used to do the homeschool conference - travel dolly and bungee cord - back in my curricula buying hay-day.  😂

Great minds think alike! :laugh:

25 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The one thing I don't like about my new fancy dryer.  It tells me "16 minutes  to being done" (estimated).  In 16 minutes I go down and it tells me "16 minutes to being done". 

Major eyeroll.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh my goodness. I think i’m Gonna die. I just watched a 3 minute video on FB of clumsy people falling down and I just laughed and laughed and laughed. And the funniest clips were the ones where the people’s friends were just dying laughing at them falling down. Why is it so funny when people fall down?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Morning, tired.   Snoozed my alarm for 30 minutes so now I'm running late.  But just late for my "arrive an hour early to do yoga", not anywhere near late for setting up for classes.  So that's good.

Every morning my ankle hurts when I first get out of bed.  I"m pretty sure it's the ankle I sprained badly a couple years ago and took forever to get better but is mostly fine now.   As soon as I walk around on it for a while, it's fine and it's fine doing yoga, going to the gym (including a small bit of jogging on the treadmill), and being on my feet all day.  So, I'm not sure what's up with that.   I can only think it' has to do with the position of my ankle when I sleep (foot relaxed into a straighter position) and I'm wondering if wearing my pf boot that keeps the foot bent would be worth a try.  

• Like 4

Good morning!

It's COLD outside!  15 degrees.  Apparently it "feels like" 8 degrees.  Whatever.  It's COLD!! And the heat is still not working in ds24's car.  We are trying to come up with ways to keep ds from freezing in his hour-long commute into The Big City.  We would trade cars with him, except his car is specifically registered for parking.  It seems they ran a space heater out there to warm it up before he leaves, and he has a small heating pad that he can run from the lighter.  

Normal day of lessons.  Church choirs tonight.

Coffee!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Morning. I'm up. It's freezing. But I'm going to grill this afternoon anyway. 

Other than that, I plan to draft all day, get a little housekeeping done, and try to relax. With one manuscript with my agent and another with two Beta readers, it's hard to stay cool and collected. 

• Like 4