Menu

Ignore this thread!

So we were singing Happy Birthday to ds14 tonight and dd4 asked to sing it in Spanish; my kids don't actually know the "happy birthday" part of the song in Spanish, what they know is the part that is often sung after the happy birthday verse and basically translates as "now we want cake"-- sort of like the "now bring us some figgy pudding" verse of "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" 😄

"Ya queremos pastel
Ya queremos pastel,
Aunque sea un pedacito,
pero queremos pastel."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, maize said:

So we were singing Happy Birthday to ds14 tonight and dd4 asked to sing it in Spanish; my kids don't actually know the "happy birthday" part of the song in Spanish, what they know is the part that is often sung after the happy birthday verse and basically translates as "now we want cake"-- sort of like the "now bring us some figgy pudding" verse of "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" 😄

"Ya queremos pastel
Ya queremos pastel,
Aunque sea un pedacito,
pero queremos pastel."

I've never heard this before.  Thanks!

Several years ago, one of the dc was really upset about the family singing the birthday song to her; she requested that we sing "The ABC Song".  So we all sang about letters while looking at the birthday girl and her cake.  What.ever.  😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Happy birthday Susan's dd!

Lots going on today--I'm driving dh to a Dr. appt over an hour away, the kids have karate, ds14 leaves for his scouting trip, dd15 and ds9 need to prepare for musical auditions tomorrow, I need to put that table together that didn't get put together yesterday, and a cousin of mine is giving a violin recital this evening that I would really like to go to. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, maize said:

Lots going on today--I'm driving dh to a Dr. appt over an hour away, the kids have karate, ds14 leaves for his scouting trip, dd15 and ds9 need to prepare for musical auditions tomorrow, I need to put that table together that didn't get put together yesterday, and a cousin of mine is giving a violin recital this evening that I would really like to go to. 

Maize, do  you have any advice or tools you recommend for Managing All the Things? (You are clearly rocking it.)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, whitehawk said:

Maize, do  you have any advice or tools you recommend for Managing All the Things? (You are clearly rocking it.)

My process involves Dropping Lots of Balls Along the Way. It's a juggling act I have worked hard to perfect over the years!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, maize said:

Hope the Dr. appt is helpful!  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

We're having our last hotel breakfast this morning.  Well, last one here at this hotel for this trip.  Hopefully not last last.  We check out at noon and will go to Old Navy, etc while we wait for dh to finish his class.  Then we pick him up and head for Susan's!!

❤️ Safe travels and a wonderful visit!!  ❤️

• Like 2

Happy Nirthday Susan's Dd.  So many July/August birthdays!

Today should be a calm, relaxing day.  Nothing scheduled except taking dd to tkd at 5pm (or 6pm, I have to ask her if she wants to do 2 classes or 1 tonight).    Cleaning, laundry, planning classes, planning school are on the agenda.   Our big summer bbq/lake party is Saturday so I'm sure dh has plans to get things ready for that.  We might have to make a BJ's trip.  

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Friday Eve!!!!

Got a Busy morning. DS has the ortho and then i’m Meeting another school family. The family I met yesterday was absolutely delightful. They are just starting out on their homeschool journey and are full of plans and enthusiasm. I got very wistful visiting with them, remembering what that was like.

I made 6 dozen zwiebach yesterday which brings my total to 9 dozen, and need to make another 6 dozen between today and tomorrow. My dear cousin let me know last night that more people RSVPd for Sunday lunch. Now we are up to 150. 

Happy Nirthday Susan’s DD!!🎂🎂🎂🎂💕💕🎉

Angi, I am very jealous of you!! Have a great visit with Susan!

• Like 5

I am back. Met a very nice family. I got home and put my car in the garage. You know what that means??? I’m staying home the rest of the day. 

I got a text from cousin that says the official count is 128. I’m gonna bake tomorrow.  My house is a wreck, laundry is piling up and I need to get a handle on things.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Youngest dd and I braved the AFSA for school supplies.  And we also got her two pairs of jean shorts (bermuda length - yay!) and some tank tops - they come up high at the neck (crew neck) and are more like sleeveless tees than tank.  They were so cute on her.  We'll still need to hit Kohls for a few more clothing items, but it was nice to find long jean shorts and tees inexpensively.     

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

It's not that kind of writing, unfortunately. I actually wish I would get more feedback than I have. Three of my four books have been edited (there's an option with the company to buy an unedited book, too, and my first book was like that), but I've not had any feedback from any of them. I'm ghostwriting Amazon Kindle romance novels. It's not the kind of writing I want to do, but it's paying the debts down, so I'm thankful for it. 

Hey, paying the bills is great! I'm trying to figure out how much time to give myself for different levels of revising so I make sure I don't short myself time.

• Like 3

Kitchen is clean (to my standards) for the first time this week.

Bills are paid.

Now, I need to vacuum a bit and tackle laundry. I don’t mind laundry because I prop my iPad up in my bed and watch CSI:Miami while I fold. David Caruso is hot. For an older guy.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We have attended the 6th annual poetry lantern launch!  Woo-hoo!  Writing camp concludes tomorrow with a presentation where parents will hear the camp song for the first time (always a delightful re-write of lyrics to some well known tune) and poetry reading by those who wish to share.  And then we plan to grab pizza with friends and hang out.  OH and don't let me forget (I KEEP FORGETTING!!!!) I have to go to a parent meeting for our literature group in the morning.  10:00.  I keep thinking I'm going to get stuff done tomorrow, but I'm not.  Because meeting.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Another Lynn said:

That's totally how I felt about the Thief in Settlers of Catan.  I never played it again after that.  😂  I hate games.  🤣

That's just how I feel about taxes in general. We will be paying back taxes to Oregon until 2022. Normally we use our federal to cover our state, but this year we used it all to move.

Can I "borrow" $2,000?

• Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

That's just how I feel about taxes in general. We will be paying back taxes to Oregon until 2022. Normally we use our federal to cover our state, but this year we used it all to move.

Can I "borrow" $2,000?

Yikes!  That's a bummer!  I hate state taxes the most!  They don't even give us the military.  🙄🤣

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Now at the chiropractor.   Strange chiropractor just came in the room. I was very apologetic but refused treatment  I am very easily injured  

Oh dear!  Good for you for taking good care of yourself, but how frustrating too!  

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Junie said:

I went to the Spanish Bible study at my church again tonight.  I have really been enjoying it!

There was a different teacher tonight because the pastor was out of town.  He is a native speaker and pretty fast.  I knew that I would not be able to understand as much, but I did better than I expected.

When I was talking to some of the people after the service (read: listening in on conversations that I understood very little of) I told them (in Spanish) that I was tired and not understanding anything.  They laughed (not meanly) and one of the ladies said that she has the same problem at work where she is the only Spanish speaker.

22 hours ago, maize said:

"Ya queremos pastel
Ya queremos pastel,
Aunque sea un pedacito,
pero queremos pastel."

I've never heard that! Apparently, my husband has heard it and has been keeping it from me.

22 hours ago, Slache said:

I want cake!

Me too! Maybe with apricots...

14 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Today the kids and I are going to play Muggle Studies - Extended Edition. Two bathrooms, the kitchen, dusting, sheet changing, vacuuming, and Mt. Laundry to do, all without magic. We will, however, have music and audiobooks.

Yeah, the other day, we tried the whole "snap your fingers" while singing "A Spoonful of Sugar," and nothing was picking up on its own. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I need to take the 4th of July wreath off my front door. It’s August already.

I took it down. And replaced it with my Late-Summer-Just-a-Hint-and-a-wish-For-Autumn Wreath.

I like wreaths.

points for quoting myself.

And points for editing. We get points for editing now.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I heard a loud crash and went to check on the kids. Mary is asleep with her legs crossed and her hands daintily place next to her face, John is awkwardly laying cattywampus on his bed with his comforter wrapped around his legs and his giant Mickey under his feet, and Alex has crawled out of bed and is sleeping on the giant plastic block bin.

Ok.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Slache said:

I heard a loud crash and went to check on the kids. Mary is asleep with her legs crossed and her hands daintily place next to her face, John is awkwardly laying cattywampus on his bed with his comforter wrapped around his legs and his giant Mickey under his feet, and Alex has crawled out of bed and is sleeping on the giant plastic block bin.

Ok.

And none of this surprises me. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Morning. I've got a lot of revision to get through today. I will be going to the office later this morning to work. The office is a dark, quiet picnic pavilion at the river. I generally look so grumpy that no one ever bothers me. 😁 Last time I was there, I did two chapters in a day with ease. Having the woods around me is good inspiration for a pair of Ents fighting.

Edited by Critterfixer
Morning
  • Like 6

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Friday!!!!

It’s Reunion Weekend!!! Let the Wild Rumpus begin.

DD1 has allergy shots this morning and then we are going directly to the Cost of Cos, aka Costco. I think we will be eating lunch there and the come home and I have bread to bake.

• Like 4