Menu

Ignore this thread!

I did the thing. Which basically told me that I have other things to do before I can do more of the things.  I'm trying to get everything together to get two fifteen-year-old boys behind the wheel. 

I may lose all my hair.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

The rusty red and dying leaves at the base are typical of it going to seed? Oh, good. I was afraid I was a dill killer!

Well, I am not an expert, and I don’t even play one on ITT, but once it’s done blooming and made its seeds, I think it’s going to die. Unless you prune off the flowers. I don’t grow dill, but that’s what happens to basil. If you want it to keep growing you have to keep cutting off the flowers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I did the thing. Which basically told me that I have other things to do before I can do more of the things.  I'm trying to get everything together to get two fifteen-year-old boys behind the wheel. 

I may lose all my hair.

I feel your pain. My 15 year old is getting very antsy. He’s done what he needs to do for the bookwork, but now I need to get him some behind the wheel training. 😩😩😩😩 

• Like 1

TFW you have that one kid who needs a hint to spell "two," but the word after it is "chocolate" and he just rattles it off. 😏

Life is full of food questions today: WHY did my husband buy DS a new package of his favorite cookies yesterday when the kid will not be able to eat something that crunchy for 2 years starting at 9 AM tomorrow? WHO told him to buy corn dogs and occupy so much freezer space I can't make ice cream? HOW did I fail to buy green beans? *sigh*

• Like 6

My baby made lunch today. This summer everyone has their day to make lunch. She’s the only one who delights in it. Today she made pasta with this yummy homemade sauce stuff with bacon, tomatoes, fresh basil, onions and garlic. It was really good. She goes to the library and gets all these kids recipe books and just pores over them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, KrissiK said:

My baby made lunch today. This summer everyone has their day to make lunch. She’s the only one who delights in it. Today she made pasta with this yummy homemade sauce stuff with bacon, tomatoes, fresh basil, onions and garlic. It was really good. She goes to the library and gets all these kids recipe books and just pores over them.

We need to get our babies together.  Let the feasting begin!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

She's a better cook than I am for sure!  And it sounds like Junie needs her help tonight! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi All.  Had a great first day of wizard camp today.  The kids had fun, got along well, everything worked the way it was supposed to.   I'm looking forward to the rest of the week, but I am going to be ready to collapse by the end.  And I have set-up for the 4-H Fair Saturday and Sunday.   

• Like 7

1:39 am here and my body is covered in hives. So itchy. Two different meds I take interact negatively with Benadryl. The a/c is off in case this is related. But it could be nerves instead. I am feeling pressure about camp prep right now which is compounded by all the other things that pop ip and make it hard to concentrate just on camp. Tomorrow I need to drive Ds hither and yon so I can’t chance the intensified effects of Benadryl (which is what happens if you take Benadryl and my meds together.).  

• Sad 6

My kids are having a longer than expected break from school.   But I think I'm okay with that.  Or at least I'm okay with it enough to not take the steps needed to remedy it.

I'm teaching camp this week from 9am to 2pm every day.  With set up and clean up, dd and I are there from 8am to 2:30pm.  I usually bring her home and go back to finish cleaning.  I'm refining my plans each evening based on what we get to each day.  I'm also starting to track calories and exercise and be more deliberate about things so I can try and lose some weight.  I do yoga or Tai Chi in the morning before camp, then kickboxing after I bring dd home.    Tonight I also have a meeting to work on our 4-H club display for fair, which my kids will have to finish because only 2 other kids are coming.   This weekend is fair set-up, then Fair is Thursday through Sunday.  I need to be there Tuesday night and Wednesday night because I'm chairperson for two categories (science and fine arts).   I still haven't put away clean stuff or washed dirty clothes from our vacation.   

So, with all of that I'm just not taking the time to put together school plans for the kids.  For dd I don't think I'd give her school on top of 5 hours of helping me with camp anyway.   Once the 4-H Fair is done I have a couple weeks free or at least mostly free and I can get things caught up and we can start school up again in mid-July.  We'll have had about a 6 week break at that point, which I guess isn't awful   It is summer.

• Like 5

Good morning!

Yikes, Jean!  Were you attacked by something in the garden? :sad:  I guess it's time to dig out the camp prep songs.

I don't have to go anywhere today!  Maybe I should take dd16&12 to find some new glasses for their new orescriptions.  I need new glasses, too.  Otherwise I'd better check the master to-do list so I don't spend the whole day spinning wheels.

Coffee!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Junie said:

No puedo dormir.

Je ne peux pas dormir.

I can't sleep.

I am wide awake at 3:33 a.m. in 3 different languages.  

So was I! Then when I tried to go back to sleep, dh started fussing about dumb stuff, which kept me awake longer.

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I don't have to go anywhere today!  Maybe I should take dd16&12 to find some new glasses for their new orescriptions.  I need new glasses, too.  Otherwise I'd better check the master to-do list so I don't spend the whole day spinning wheels.

Zenni.com. Then you still don't have to go anywhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!!!!

I have another day of training for work! Should be good.

DH arrived in Korea. He texted me at 1:51am PST.  Hopefully he’s sleeping now, since he told me they are 16 hours ahead of us, it should be close to 10:30pm where he is.

Junie, did you get some sleep??

Jeannie, how are you feeling this morning?? Hives still there.

Lynn gets the prize.🏆🥇 It is indeed Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

• Like 5

On 7/7/2019 at 7:29 PM, whitehawk said:

There's a church that's a 5-minute walk; I've visited in the past. They are definitely not what I need in a church, and the two I know of that are within a 5-10 minute drive very much are not for me. The contestant eliminated this morning was 10ish, which (along with a clergy person I like and the church being known for doing something I'm a fan of) was one reason I gave it a shot.

Another contender, the one in the denomination I was baptized in, is about 15 and easy to get in and out of. I drive farther than that for tortillas!

The one I belong to now is nearly 20 on Sunday morning and an obnoxious 30 (e.g., I saw a collision right in front of me recently) on a weeknight. The more distant one in my denomination is 40 minutes Sunday morning and I would never ever wind up going there any other time--whereas if it were close, I would simply join them now without all this effort.

The compelling oddball is a few minutes from my current church, but I think there may be more ways to get there without using, or getting stuck in traffic from, the Death Circle (Raleigh's 440 Beltline)--I'll find out this week when I attend a Wednesday night event there. The more I think about this one, the more I feel drawn to it. It's the one I'm going to attend next Sunday.

I was just thinking the church we attended as kids was about half an hour away, but then I Google mapped it, and it was on 15 minutes from us.  It seemed like such a long drive back then!  But there was a grocery that sold penny candy on the way, so it had that going for it.

ETA: It's a Candy-in-Church-hide-it-from-the pastor BOOYAH!

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:47 PM, Paradox5 said:

Anybody know some secular unit studies that combine “everything your kid needs to know to run the universe (except math)? DH wants me to try this. I don’t like Moving Beyond the Page or Oak Meadow. FIAR is too young.

What about Build your Library?

• Like 2

Warning: Edpo!!  Avert yer eyeballs!

I am getting a handle on what I need to get for school in the fall, as well as the couple misc. things that weren't finished last year.  I need to decide if I will have ds14 do Traditional Logic like his siblings before him or if we'll try something more palettable.  He's gone through Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox.

As you were.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning. 

I’m so itchy. Oh so itchy.

I feel itchy and bumpy and wired 

and I’m twitchy as I go into this day so tired  

(My apologies to West Side Story). 

This should be archived.

(((Jean)))

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Junie said:

Slache, I saw this photo today and immediately thought of your kids. The littlest one, especially.  🙂

ETA:  Disclaimer -- the fish aren't real.

YES!

Ok, so we went fishing. Alex thought they were going to be pets and cried when he realized they were dead. Until we told him he could eat them and then he was ecstatic. He's a psychopath. Now we have to hold both of his hands at the pet store to keep him from eating the fish. This is not an uncommon problem with toddlers, according to a Petco employee.

Honestly he's old enough now to not eat them because he's been told not to, but if we go into a pet store he goes "Look! Fish! Mmmm" and everyone laughs at the cute little boy because no one realizes what a lil psychopath he is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm working on my geography study. My copies of Trail Guide to World Geography and The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide are on their way. I still need Kid's Lonely Planet Travel, DK's What's Where on Earth and a few other yummies. I need a suggestions for the following:

1. A collection of artists from around the world.
  2. A collection of world missionaries.
  3. A basic atlas.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I'm looking for one single book per subject for the sake of saving money. In case anyone actually cares here is my current list:

(This formatted strangely and I can't change it. Please comment if something is awful or I'm missing something fabulous.)

1. Core texts

1. Trail Guide To World Geography

2. Ultimate Geography & Timeline Guide

3. Science, In the Beginning

2. Mapping

1. Draw Your World set by Draeger

2. Kids Lonely Planet Travel

3. What’s Where on Earth?

4. Missionaries TBD

5. Artists TBD

6. Inventors TBD

3. Projects

1. Geography Through Art

2. Eat Your Way Around The World

4. Memory Work

1. Living Memory

2. Wee Sing around The World

3. Geography Songs

5. Worthwhile Pursuits

1. Games TBD

2. Map puzzles or apps

3. Music from around the world TBD

I'm looking for something sciency like inventors. I'm trying to paint a picture of WHO lives there. I have artists, missionaries, meals from the area and maybe inventors but that seems to be very American and Euro centered (for good reason). Any other suggestions? It doesn't have to be sciency.

• Confused 1