Menu

Ignore this thread!

In Oregon Costco was the cheapest for about 1/4 of our groceries so we made 2 stops, the other being WinCo. Here, Wal-Mart is significantly less than Costco. We always said we'd keep Costco no matter what for gas and pizza, but none of the gas stations are convienently located and I'm now gluten free so...

I love Costco though. They have weird things like giant bags of sweet potato chips and really cool things at Christmas. For John's birthday we got a $40 laser tag set and a $30 drone with a camera that connected to your phone. Mary got a My Little Pony set for $30, the likes of which I had not been able to find for under $100. Oh, and dog food. All pet stuff.

Maybe we should keep the membership...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I like Costco. And Trader Joe’s. Both meet our family’s needs. 

Yes, there are a few things we get there. I think I would really enjoy walking in their with $200 and no list. Just buy random things.

On April 1, 2019 at 8:16 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

My favorite is cauliflower fried rice (steam-in-bag cauliflower rice) with gluten free soy sauce, sesame oil, whisked egg, salt and pepper. 

I made some - it's good!  I can see how sesame oil would be a little better.  Next time I might add a bit of diced onion.

• Thanks 2

I have been to The Melting Pot.  So yummy!  I like Trader Joe's but the only one in the area is 40 minutes away with terrible parking and not worth the trip and I can get their most important item, chocolate babka, at Aldi now year-round.  We gave up our warehouse membership because I found I could get what I actually need at Gordens Food Service without paying a yearly membership.

We have a Sprouts nearby which I think is comparable to TJs, but I don't have a need to go there much.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I have been to The Melting Pot.  So yummy!  I like Trader Joe's but the only one in the area is 40 minutes away with terrible parking and not worth the trip and I can get their most important item, chocolate babka, at Aldi now year-round.  We gave up our warehouse membership because I found I could get what I actually need at Gordens Food Service without paying a yearly membership.

We have a Sprouts nearby which I think is comparable to TJs, but I don't have a need to go there much.

WE HAZ A SPROUTS! This is new to me. I see potential.

• Like 2

Trader Joe’s has good COFFEE!!~D

I have a love-hate relationship with Costco.

I stepped on my cat’s paw. She hasn’t forgiven me. She’s sitting there giving me the Laser Glare of Impending Doom. I told her she shouldn’t walk under my feet. She told me not to put my foot down where she is. I think we are at an impasse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

How are you feeling, Lynn?  Sleeping any better?

Yes!  Thanks!  But you didn't? - were you up at 1am?!  

I'm starting to feel a little head congestion - so weird, it's like this cold (if it's a cold) is doing everything backwards.  I took some cold/cough med last night and slept til 5am.  yay!

• Like 3

Good morning!

Yay Angie's dh!  🏆

Yesterday I saw a bird poop bug on the strawberry plant.  :angry:  Then I had a dream last night that a swarm of bird poop bugs were attacking me in bed.  :sad:   My peonies are coming up like gangbusters.  The tulips are dawdling.

Coffee!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Is bad parking at TJs a thing? It's the same here. It's only about 10 minutes away, but the same distance as the local coop (in the opposite direction), so the coop is more convenient. But, we mostly go to Smith's. We also have a Sprouts. It's pretty  nice! But, we're creatures of habit, so...

• Like 2

Dd8 has sloppy handwriting.  We're working on it.  On her math assignment she wrote an f that looked more like an x.

Me: You can make a better f than that.

Dd8: Have you seen me do it?

Dd8 erases and writes a decent f.

Me: Yes.

This girl has spunk.

• Haha 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Humph Day!!!!

The Kids have Enrichment Academy this morning. Piano this afternoon and the last regular Awana tonight. Next week is Celebration Night at Awana and then we are done for the year.

I need to go to Costco, Lowe’s and Michael’s this morning while the kids are at EA. I wish Hobby Lobby were closer, but it’s waaaaaaayyyyy across town.

• Like 3

Today, we go to check out the "homeschool program" at the public school. It is actually the Family School program, and kids are considered public school students. They attend school part days (9-2) on Mondays through Wednesdays. They can also participate in the other extras. Grades 1-6 are in the same classroom, there's usually no more than 12 students. I have looked at this option before for Dancer way back when, but really have been looking at it for Gymnast. Last year, her anxiety was too high to consider it, now, she's about ready for it. So, we're visiting.

Remind me to buy more cat litter, please. I keep forgetting, and it's getting low.

I also have only one Spanish class to teach; it's on insects. Gymnast has a class, then I go pick up groceries. Oh, wait, I have a webinar to attend first, then I'll pick up groceries - ah, we need milk! Sometime today, I need to finish the "reports" (one paragraph each) of the ESL classes I taught this morning. Gymnast has a group violin lesson this evening.

That's about it.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I went to Sprouts once.  Didn't impress me and I don't think I purchased anything.  But by the time I get to that, I am almost at Whole Foods, and I like that better.  

Melting Pot was close to us when we were in Virginia.  In Raleigh or Durham, I think.   I wanted to go but it's too expensive.

I hear Whole Foods is pretty good, but there is only one and it's on the rich side of town, so we rarely make it over there.

I'm having a hard time getting up off the sofa. I am listening to a webinar, and the cat is on my lap. But, we have to leave in 40 minutes, neither of us are dressed, and I need to do Gymnast's hair... I'm thinking of my next live on fb...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoJosMom said:

I figured you were all just dying to hear my opinions on shopping preferences. 😐

Or maybe I just don't feel like slogging through partially frozen mud.

Nah. It was for YOU. I'm selfless that way. 😐

It's important that we know these things.

Renai, buy cat litter!

• Like 3

I stopped by Kroger for a couple things and they had 6-packs of French marigolds for $2 so now we have marigolds.  I am hoping to attract insects that will eat the bird-poop bugs.  My chives have made an impressive comeback.  I don't think they like the local heat.  I cleaned out the mint patch and coddled the Cherokee echinacia in hopes that they will grow back.  The Ceasar's Brothers irises are looking good and I am hopeful that they will bloom this year.  Sadly, Ruby and Barb are no longer with us.  Some of the strawberry plants are blooming and I will humor them this spring and summer, but I don't hold much hope for getting to eat any actual strawberries from them.

• Like 4

I took youngest to dr because her eye has been itchy and hurting and has a red place.  It is not pink eye.  It is more likely irritation / stye.  We have anti-biotic drops which she thinks will kill her to put in.  🙄  Also, her tonsils were red and swollen, but she tested negative for strep. 

And before that I got back to work on the tax return.  I might finish it today.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

I took youngest to dr because her eye has been itchy and hurting and has a red place.  It is not pink eye.  It is more likely irritation / stye.  We have anti-biotic drops which she thinks will kill her to put in.  🙄  Also, her tonsils were red and swollen, but she tested negative for strep. 

And before that I got back to work on the tax return.  I might finish it today.    

Shoot! I forgot about taxes...

• Sad 2

I went to Lowe's. Bought some things. Went to Michael's - almost needed an intervention, but not quite. I like Hobby lobby, better. Went to Costco. Almost committed murder-by- shopping cart. There was this big, cluless family there just wondering around, not paying any attention, then they'd huddle in the middle of the aisle and try to figure out what they wanted to buy.....I about ran them all over.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Ds23 is going to the library for free tax preparation.  I hope he qualifies even though he lives at home and was still claimed as our dependent for 2018.  Since he is self-employed, TurboTax will charge like $80 to file his taxes and he doesn't feel confident about doing it himself.  

Dd12 is sooooooooo moody lately.  Hormones, I'm guessing.  It is wearing. me. down.

I need to practice music, do the glider, have the kids practice group music, have more coffee, and get dinner ready.  3 hours isn't enough time, but I will make an attempt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, myblessings4 said:

My workout is over half done!

I haven't started mine, but now that the kids have done their music and I've done my music and dd12 has grumbled and complained at everyone in the house and slammed her bedroom door, I think I'm ready!

• Like 2