Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!

The conch was blown about 10 minutes ago.  Race starts in 50 minutes.

Ds14 is on his way to backpacking.  Dh will drive dd20 back to the university after lunch.  I need to learn the music for Wizard of Oz.  I will be the only violin on my part, so I am feeling the pressure on this one.

Coffee!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

The conch was blown about 10 minutes ago.  Race starts in 50 minutes.

Ds14 is on his way to backpacking.  Dh will drive dd20 back to the university after lunch.  I need to learn the music for Wizard of Oz.  I will be the only violin on my part, so I am feeling the pressure on this one.

Coffee!

So when are you running?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Slache said:

Do you know how many hours it took you to walk it? Matt wants to do it but I don't want to camp. I think it's a whole day to run one loop, right?

Oh, we never even hiked a Barkley loop.  No map of their route.  We hiked the "regular and sometimes terrifying" trails at the park, which sometimes were the same as the Barkley course.  They go off trail quite a bit.  Plus the prison part.  I think the longest hike we did in one day was about 13 miles.  One 26 mile Barkley loop is generally done in 7-13 hours.

(I bet you could find a basic map somewhere online or in book somewhere.  But you might want to be familiar with the regular trails first.  Surely there must be a hotel nearby?  The campground is a pretty good one as far as campgrounds go.  Nice, clean bathroom. Maybe you could rent a camper.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

Good Morning!

Happy Saturday!

Digging out the spring clothes today and maybe doing a photo shoot with the girls while all of the trees are in bloom.

I don't wanna.

I was able to eat a little bit of real food last night without any problems.  And I (finally) set up an appointment with a gastroenterologist.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Oh, we never even hiked a Barkley loop.  No map of their route.  We hiked the "regular and sometimes terrifying" trails at the park, which sometimes were the same as the Barkley course.  They go off trail quite a bit.  Plus the prison part.  I think the longest hike we did in one day was about 13 miles.  One 26 mile Barkley loop is generally done in 7-13 hours.

(I bet you could find a basic map somewhere online or in book somewhere.  But you might want to be familiar with the regular trails first.  Surely there must be a hotel nearby?  The campground is a pretty good one as far as campgrounds go.  Nice, clean bathroom. Maybe you could rent a camper.)

I'm not going. Matt's taking the kids.

27 minutes ago, Junie said:

I don't hike.

I would like to take the kids to the zoo, but I just can't do that much walking.  😞

We might be able to go after ds18 gets home from college.  He's strong enough to push me in a wheelchair.

I hate hiking. With a passion.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Don't let him do that.

Why not?

5 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Today is National Take a Walk in the Park Day!

I thought it was national lie around drinking wine with your cats day. I saw something on Facebook.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Slache said:

Why not?

With your kids?  Is he nuts?  If you are talking about hiking the state park trails, that's fine.  If it's doing an actual 26 mile Barkley course, that's not fine.  Number one, if the rangers find Matt off trail, they will kick him out and he'll likely be charged with child endangerment. Number two, if he thinks even one lap of the course is suitable for anyone who has not done serious ultramarathon training (kids?  Uh, no), then he really has no clue.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I wanted to just relax while dh is gone, but so far I have cleaned the living room bookshelf, started a load of blankets, loaded and started the dishwasher, cleaned the coffee maker with vinegar, and put supper in the crockpot.  

Come on over to my house to relax!  There is a lot here to get done while relaxing! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I wanted to just relax while dh is gone, but so far I have cleaned the living room bookshelf, started a load of blankets, loaded and started the dishwasher, cleaned the coffee maker with vinegar, and put supper in the crockpot.  

Wait.  What did you have for dinner last night?  I think you told us and I didn't pay attention.  (Not saying I ignored you, of course, lol.)  I mean, I paid attention, but now I don't remember.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Wait.  What did you have for dinner last night?  I think you told us and I didn't pay attention.  (Not saying I ignored you, of course, lol.)  I mean, I paid attention, but now I don't remember.  

I think i’m Starting to rub off on you, Lynn. That’s something I would do.😂😩

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

It's cold.

I know! I love it!

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

With your kids?  Is he nuts?  If you are talking about hiking the state park trails, that's fine.  If it's doing an actual 26 mile Barkley course, that's not fine.  Number one, if the rangers find Matt off trail, they will kick him out and he'll likely be charged with child endangerment. Number two, if he thinks even one lap of the course is suitable for anyone who has not done serious ultramarathon training (kids?  Uh, no), then he really has no clue.

I thought you were allowed to walk the course. Not on that day.

17 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Afternoon! I am no ketchupped. Too mustard. But I am working on the eleventh synopsis I have for critique, and it has some of the same problems as one of mine that I need to fix today. So--homework! 

Are you having someone do your book covers?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Slache said:

I thought you were allowed to walk the course. Not on that day.

Nope.  State/National parks strongly frown upon leaving trails.  The Barkley gets special permission for it's runners.

Think about how long it would take you to walk 26 regular miles.  Now throw in a mountain range, woods, rocks, and bramble to navigate off trail, and no source of water or food except what you are carrying on your back.  Also no way to call for help.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Nope.  State/National parks strongly frown upon leaving trails.  The Barkley gets special permission for it's runners.

Think about how long it would take you to walk 26 regular miles.  Now throw in a mountain range, woods, rocks, and bramble to navigate off trail, and no source of water or food except what you are carrying on your back.  Also no way to call for help.  

This is why I don't want him to go!

He's all bark and no bite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We do some hiking, usually when we go camping.  We've done some long hikes but that sounds ridiculous.

Just got back from the 4-H science event.  it went well, our workshop seemed to be enjoyed by all.  I have almost 10,000 steps for the day already.

Tomorrow I have to go do some cleanup at the science center and I'm buying salad stuff, hard-boiling eggs and I'm going to have salads for lunch each day.  I'm also going to try and start IF by not eating anything until 9 and stopping by 7, so a 14/10 to start.  Then ease into not eating until 11.  I teach from 10am to 11am.   And I'm going to do more walking.  And yoga/Tai Chi.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Renai said:

Are you having someone do your book covers?

Well, I sure do hope so! The book has to sell first. That's exciting to think about, though. Cover art! Wow!

ETA: It's a Sell-My-Book Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 6

Day 412 steps. (5k and dog park done- I love Saturday mornings). 
Day 283 hips
Day 181 bird dog.

Getting all this done first thing is great because then no matter what happens to my health afterwards, I am golden. I seriously miscalculated lunch and went into a mild diabetic coma- as in I was aware of Juliet and dh around but could not “wake up” for hours. My sugars once I was able to move were 162 and I am sure that they were much higher before that. (Not true diabetic coma which requires an ER). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

DD1 and I went to a tea party/Birthday party for one of her friends this afternoon. It was lovely. It was in a field of wildflowers (really) and the afternoon was just perfect. Little birds twittering and all that. It was very nice.  And what made it even nicer was I got a phone call in the middle of it asking me to come in for a job interview on Tuesday. So.... yay!! I may get a job.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

PSA: Jared Campbell was just tapped out after only one loop.  Unbelievable.  He must be really hurting.

John Kelly, who finished a couple years ago, is the frontrunner so far.  He is a local "kid" - grandfather was a warden at the Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary, and his family is so rooted in the area that one of the nearby mountains is named after them.  

There is a rash of cat pics finding their way into the #BM100 twitter feed, assumably to calm our nerves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

PSA: Jared Campbell was just tapped out after only one loop.  Unbelievable.  He must be really hurting.

John Kelly, who finished a couple years ago, is the frontrunner so far.  He is a local "kid" - grandfather was a warden at the Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary, and his family is so rooted in the area that one of the nearby mountains is named after them.  

There is a rash of cat pics finding their way into the #BM100 twitter feed, assumably to calm our nerves.

I’d be tapped out after 5 minutes.😂😂😂😂 

• Like 3

PSA: Jared Campbell had a severe ankle roll on his first descent.  Instead of heading immediately back to camp, he spent the next few hours connecting with as many of the runners as he could to help and encourage them through the first loop.  :wub:

Of the 28 runners who finished the first loop, 21 are currently on the 2nd loop.  It is now raining and the temperature is dropping rapidly.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

PSA: Jared Campbell had a severe ankle roll on his first descent.  Instead of heading immediately back to camp, he spent the next few hours connecting with as many of the runners as he could to help and encourage them through the first loop.  :wub:

Of the 28 runners who finished the first loop, 21 are currently on the 2nd loop.  It is now raining and the temperature is dropping rapidly.

So seven people were like forget this I'm going home?

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Slache said:

So seven people were like erase this from memory, I'm going home?

Yep.  Well, Jared was injured.  Some of them may have simply had the goal to complete one loop.  If there were 40 that started the race, then there are 12 we don't know about.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1