Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Dungeons and Dragons is way back.  My boys campaign with their friends often.

On paper? They get together and throw dice and have actual cards?

55 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Exactly like that. It's one of the inexplicable things.  Like, ALL of my neighbors were native Spanish speakers (and a good chunk of SA is) and they all say Blank-O instead of blanco.  

Also Nack-a-Doe-chess road for Nacogdoches Rd. 

New Braunfels = New Brawn-fulls

Palestine, TX = Pal-ess-steen

Gruene, Tx = Green

Pflugerville, TX = Floo-ger-vil

Boerne, TX = Bur-nee

I need to put this in our ANKI.

Ds is headed off to the mountain with a pack of friends (& responsible adults) in a couple of hours. He's scrambling up to the trail to hike in to a lodge (using a headlamp, because it will be dark). He's on the slopes tomorrow. The mountain is supposed to get 18" of snow in the next 24 hours so it should be fun with fresh powder. 

• Like 6

So, growing up, we always just had snow tires put on in October, and taken off in March. Here they recommended snow chains.  So, we bought some. According to the manufacturer's directions, they are to be installed with the tires off of the vehicle AND the vehicle with chains installed can only be driven at low speeds.  So, like, what, it starts snowing on the mountain and I just pull that car jack out of trunk, whip off a tire, whip the chains on, and continue on my way?

I'm missing something here... Can anyone explain? 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

So, growing up, we always just had snow tires put on in October, and taken off in March. Here they recommended snow chains.  So, we bought some. According to the manufacturer's directions, they are to be installed with the tires off of the vehicle AND the vehicle with chains installed can only be driven at low speeds.  So, like, what, it starts snowing on the mountain and I just pull that car jack out of trunk, whip off a tire, whip the chains on, and continue on my way?

That’s weird. We have always put chains on with the tires on the car. 

5 hours ago, Slache said:

What's D&D? Is that Dungeons & Dragons? Is that back?

Yep, Dungeons & Dragons.  And evidently it is way way back.  I had 10 kids playing today.   Most are on the young side, my 13 year old son is the oldest.   I played in high school way back in the mid 80's.  I'm simplifying things for them to start and I'll gradually pull in more of the details.

It's fun but crazy.  My son can't go 5 minutes without wanting to eat so I'm providing snacks every week.  These guys can go through two big bags of pretzels in 2 hours.  

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

That’s the way chains work. Yes, it starts snowing, you put them on and drive slow. We use chains here in the mountains when it snows. People hate them, so people either do not drive or drive a 4wd. Well, some people do use chains, but nobody likes them.

I have never put chains on or used them, but I don’t think you take your tire off. I think you drive over them and attach them.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

EdPo:

Ok, so this is a bit of a rant. We had been using Apologia Science for the past 3 years. Now, I know Apologia is not everyone’s cup of tea, and that is fine, but I decided that since i’m Doing this charter and they pay for curriculum (secular) that I would switch science and went to Real Science 4 Kids. I had read good reviews about it and everything. It stunk!! We never did science. DS was doing chemistry and the explanations were minimal and the experiments were hit or miss. He wasn’t learning anything, and there was no workbook or anything to reinforce what they read in the text book. They read a chapter, which took 10 minutes and did an experiment. I just didn’t feel like it did a good job teaching. At all. So we did no science first semester. And then I finally broke down and bought Apologia Physics and Chemistry. Oh my word, my kids are actually learning something. And we’ve only been doing it 2 days. Like foundational things. Definitions of matter and mass and energy. And demonstrations that support what they are learning. I guess it just makes me mad because.... and no, I have not done an exhaustive search of secular curriculum, but here is a quality curriculum, that is homeschooler friendly because it is workable with multi-ages, and just because it is Christian, they won’t pay for it. And honestly, I am not hung up on whether it is Christian or not, but I do want a quality curriculum that is easy to use. 

So, rant over. I was just fuming about this today. And it’s not like it is horribly expensive, just buying the text and 4 notebooks, it’s the principle of the thing.

• Like 2

I'm tired.  I should be in bed.  

KNO ended up being dd and two other girls.  They played and hung out together and I didn't really need to do much.   But it's still been a long day and I'm tired.

I've had my Kavu bag for about a month now and I've decided I really like it.  It's really easy to slide over my head and hangs nicely.  It holds the stuff I need it to hold.  And it's pretty.

• Like 4

Husband is sleep walking out of sleep deprivation and stress. He's not normally a sleep walker and keeps arguing with me about whether or not he is sleepwalking. Well, tell me honey if you're not sleep walking then why did you pour baby shampoo all over the bedroom floor?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Good morning!

More water for everyone!

Deeeeeep breaths, Slache!  Count to 745!  Sing some 80's music!

I don't want to get out of bed today.  A couple friends of the kids are coming over for a little while later this morning, so I suppose I should pantz.  I need to work on children's choir music theory lessons and work out of our budget the replacement of dh's car.  I should get our taxes finished - that'll be the main factor in buying a car.

Coffee!

• Like 5

Good morning. It's 7 am  and I bet the horses want their cereal. But it's 8 degrees with howling winds. I donwanna. So I'm having my THIRD cup of coffee (decaf now) and being lazy. (They have their polar jammies on, and I filled their waters to the brim last night and threw extra hay. I wouldn't really just ignore them.)

So, how 'bout that recipe?  Here's what I put in Fitness Pal:

• 2.50 Tbsp (30g), Organic Chia Seeds

• 1 tbsp (30g), Organic Hemp Hearts

• 1 TBS, Golden Omega Flaxseed

• 1 Tbsp (14g), Organic Cacao Powder

• 1 tsp(s), Spices, cinnamon, ground

• 1 cup, Unsweetened Almond Cashew Milk

That's kinda just my usual. It makes a lot, so only if you're really hungry or are going to serve 2.

• Like 4

Since I am just being a slug, how 'bout the nutrition facts?

Nutrition Facts

Servings 1.0

Amount Per Serving

calories 296

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 17 g

27 %

Saturated Fat 2 g

10 %

Monounsaturated Fat 3 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 12 g

Trans Fat 0 g

Cholesterol 0 mg

0 %

Sodium 174 mg

7 %

Potassium 267 mg

8 %

Total Carbohydrate 21 g

7 %

Dietary Fiber 17 g

67 %

Sugars 0 g

Protein 12 g

24 %

Vitamin A

10 %

Vitamin C

6 %

Calcium

71 %

Iron

25 %

• Like 3

Really, you don't need a recipe. My guideline is roughly equal amounts of "stuff" to nut milk. "Stuff" being:

Chia (You really do need this for the oatmeal-y texture, I think. But not too much, or it's slimy.)  Ground flax. Hemp hearts. Wheat germ (a little higher in net carbs, but good for you.)

Barlean's Antioxident Seed Blend Powder is yummy (instead of the flax; it's mostly flax, but has added yummy stuff, too)

You can add nut butter or PB2 to the mix, as well. Because peanut butter is manna. Unless you're me and it messes with your blood sugar. Darn it.

• Like 2

You can pretty much tweak it however you want. I make these chai energy balls that I think would replicate well in the cereal. (Masala chai powder with cardamom and ginger, maybe a little chopped dried cherries, if you can tolerate the sugar.) It's really more a guideline than a recipe.

WARNING: The initial investment in ingredients can be shocking, but it does go a long way. Costco is your friend (even Walmart is carrying some of this stuff, too. Ours has a superfood blend that would make a nice addition.) Amazon works, also, but Costco is the cheapest.

• Like 1