Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

So what do ya do with it?  Cooking-wise.

Oh, YEAH. The instructions part. Opps.

You put the stuff into a bowl. You warm the nut milk. You put the warm nut milk into the bowl and stir. Let it sit and get happy for a bit. Add more nut milk, if needed.

Oh, and milk milk is fine, too, but it'll add carbs.

7 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

And where did all the carbs come from?

Well, everything in there is plant material, so it's carbohydrate. BUT it's almost all fiber, so the net carbs are very low. So high fiber, high good-for-you plant fats, and cacoa for YUM (also fiber and minerals -yay).

• Like 1

Just now, JoJosMom said:

Well, everything in there is plant material, so it's carbohydrate. BUT it's almost all fiber, so the net carbs are very low. So high fiber, high good-for-you plant fats, and cacoa for YUM (also fiber and minerals -yay).

Quoting myself to clarify:

The whole recipe would only count as 4 net carbs, Angi.

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D Oh my goodness, I slept the sleep of the “I can’t breathe” last night. I am so congested. Allergies. Bizarre dreams and I woke up so groggy. We had a rainstorm last night so that woke me up several times, too. Bleh!!

I don’t know what I am going to do with my day. It’s not that I have nothing to do, I just need to figure out the priorities. Definitely some housework. The realtor is having an Open House at the old house this afternoon. It needs to sell. Our homeowners insurance on that place is expiring on the 17th of this month and our insurance agent said we can go month to month, which is fine but it’s just one more bill. I’m sure it will sell fairly quickly. I hope it does.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Are you using the new Apologia books or the WIle Apologia books?

I need a 'real' science for Son 4. He is doing TT7. Will he be ok using the General Science book math-wise? I'm sorry if this is wrong thread to ask.

No, I am using Jeannie Fulbright’s books. I know Apologia can be a bit of a contentious point on these boards, but for our family personally, we love them and the kids learn a ton.

Apologia says the “Exploring Creation with....” Series is appropriate for multi-ages 1stt-6th grade and then they start Jay Wile’s junior high books at 7th grade.  We are still using the “Exploring Creation with...” Series studying it altogether, even though DS is an 8th grader. These are the reasons: 1) my kids all struggle academically. DS tried Wile’s General Science, and while I thought it was an awesome book, and for a kid who is probably a little above grade level or a hard worker, it would have been perfect. It’s a great book. I loved it. But DS barely got through the first modul; and 2) I heard Jay Wile speak at convention a couple years ago and he said that while basic scientific literacy is important in the grades below high school, a formal on-going science program is not that important. He said it is more important to really focus on math and the basics in the lower grades. So, that is my rationale.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Ugh, this is the thing. Net carbs or total carbs? In the book I follow loosely (well, I follow the principles) “Happy Hormones, Slim Belly” he insists on counting total carbs. So, that’s what I do. It’s carb cycling - 25 grams carbs two days a week and 125 grams 5 days a week.

• Like 1

Okay, so yesterday I thought of something we "need" (rather something that would be useful) and thought I would look for it next time I go to the AFSA. Only now I don't remember what it was. (Like, Slashie I didn't write it down because I was so sure I would remember it).  My consoling thought is that we must not need it that badly if I can't remember what it was. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Okay, so yesterday I thought of something we "need" (rather something that would be useful) and thought I would look for it next time I go to the AFSA. Only now I don't remember what it was. (Like, Slashie I didn't write it down because I was so sure I would remember it).  My consoling thought is that we must not need it that badly if I can't remember what it was. 🙄

I hate to tell you this, Lynn, but it doesn’t work that way.😂😂😂 The level of importance has no affect on whether you remember something or not.😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Dd16 was a little confused this morning when the homeless guy on the corner was asking her how she was doing after totalling her dad's car.  :laugh:

(And now, for the rest of the story:  dh often stops to talk with B, the homeless guy who isn't actually homeless but sells the homeless newspaper on the corner in town, and they have (had) the same car.  So when dh was driving ds23's car yesterday, B asked about it and the story came out.  Poor dd16.  The story is spreading like wildfire! :biggrin:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

It was probably ice cream or coffee.  This can be considered an emergency situation!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, I don't do this very often, but today Poopaerobics class was called for weather. It's not particularly cold (8 degrees), but it's windy, with hurricane-force gusts. Although the barn is closed, my stalls don't have closable doors to the paddocks. The wind has blown snow everywhere, with 4 -12 inch drifts in the covered part of the paddocks. So, between not wanting to shovel and dump tons of snow along with the poop, and being unwilling to risk being squashed by a falling limb or tree on my way to the poop pile, I decided to put that off until the winds die down. Which looks to be tomorrow evening or Monday.

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Yeah.  I have to count total.  Because blood sugar.  

This surprises me. My concern is also blood sugar, and fiber causes me absolutely no problems. In fact, higher fiber tends to moderate my blood sugar levels.

Edited by JoJosMom

1 minute ago, JoJosMom said:

Well, I don't do this very often, but today Poopaerobics class was called for weather. It's not particularly cold (8 degrees), but it's windy, with hurricane-force gusts. Although the barn is closed, my stalls don't have closable doors to the paddocks. The wind has blown snow everywhere, with 4 -12 inch drifts in the covered part of the paddocks. So, between not wanting to shovel and dump tons of snow along with the poop, and being unwilling to risk being squashed by a falling limb or tree on my way to the poop pile, I decided to put that off until the winds die down. Which looks to be tomorrow evening or Monday.

JJM & Co. may need an emergency evacuation to the ITT Island!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

JJM & Co. may need an emergency evacuation to the ITT Island!

I don't know that we'd all fit in the helicopter! 😄

Honestly, it's beautiful out there right now. I was bundled up appropriately and didn't really want to come in. I reallyreally wanted to put on my snowshoes and wander through the woods, but I am developing more caution in my old age. The whole landscape is tonal; from white to dark greens and greys. The snow is dry, almost icy. Watching it swirl in the wind is lovely.❤️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

I'm worried that your wind is supposed to head our way. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I'm worried that your wind is supposed to head our way. 

Last night I saw that they were expecting blizzard conditions in Central Washington. They are advising that people stay home unless there's an emergency. Out there on the plains, I would imagine they're experiencing white-outs. No fun to be in. 😞

Here locally, Sandpoint Police are asking people to avoid an area downtown, because 75 foot trees are uprooting. One is down on a house. 😞

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, JoJosMom said:

This surprises me. My concern is also blood sugar, and fiber causes me absolutely no problems. In fact, higher fiber tends to moderate my blood sugar levels.

52 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Yep.  Just funky ol' me.  I love me some fiber filled foods.  But they don't work for me.

So does how your blood sugar levels work have to do with how addicted you can be to Sugar? I am doing really well this first week of low carb. I have had no refined sugar and kept total carbs at 25 grams/day. And I feel great. And I can tell by the way I look, too. Sugar causes a lot of bloating. I guess technically I am not carb cycling because I am afraid if I raise my carbs i’m Going to crash and burn like I always do. But I’m just wondering if I can raise my carbs (in keeping with the plan), still have no refined sugar and be able to maintain. I had a little more of a carby breakfast (flour tortilla around my breakfast burrito) and a high protein smoothie (TRim Healthy Mama) with a few frozen strawberries thrown in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Hmmmmm...coffee maker?  Pencil sharpener?  Batteries?

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Colored pens. A nice pack of colored pens. That’s what you need. I love colored pens.

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Bath towels!

Those are all fantastic ideas, but I think whatever went through my mind yesterday is just gone.  Gone with the wind.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

So does how your blood sugar levels work have to do with how addicted you can be to Sugar? I am doing really well this first week of low carb. I have had no refined sugar and kept total carbs at 25 grams/day. And I feel great. And I can tell by the way I look, too. Sugar causes a lot of bloating. I guess technically I am not carb cycling because I am afraid if I raise my carbs i’m Going to crash and burn like I always do. But I’m just wondering if I can raise my carbs (in keeping with the plan), still have no refined sugar and be able to maintain. I had a little more of a carby breakfast (flour tortilla around my breakfast burrito) and a high protein smoothie (TRim Healthy Mama) with a few frozen strawberries thrown in.

When my sugars are high, I tend to feel paradoxically hungry.  But it isn't an addiction to sugar for me - it's a sign of insulin resistance. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

20 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

When my sugars are high, I tend to feel paradoxically hungry.  But it isn't an addiction to sugar for me - it's a sign of insulin resistance. 

Krissi, my problem is "severe reactive hypoglycemia." My body simply does not process carbohydrates normally (I exclude fiber, because the body does not absorb fiber in the way it does other carbohydrate.  https://www.joslin.org/info/how_does_fiber_affect_blood_glucose_levels.html  ) In response to high carbohydrates, my blood sugar will spike. Then the fun begins. My blood sugar will stay too high for too long, according to the charts. Then my body's unique little "oh, sh@t mechanism" kicks in and my blood sugar PLUMMETS. So low that I've had medical providers ask whether I was conscious. If I have an episode, then I will swing wildly up and down for days, because the reaction has been triggered. The problem is that during all of those swings, the body is releasing all sorts of chemicals, some of which the brain generally likes, or finds stimulating. So, paradoxically, the brain begins to crave the chemicals released during a very unhealthy process.

Does that make sense?

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Krissi, my problem is "severe reactive hypoglycemia." My body simply does not process carbohydrates normally (I exclude fiber, because the body does not absorb fiber in the way it does other carbohydrate.  https://www.joslin.org/info/how_does_fiber_affect_blood_glucose_levels.html  ) In response to high carbohydrates, my blood sugar will spike. Then the fun begins. My blood sugar will stay too high for too long, according to the charts. Then my body's unique little "oh, sh@t mechanism" kicks in and my blood sugar PLUMMETS. So low that I've had medical providers ask whether I was conscious. If I have an episode, then I will swing wildly up and down for days, because the reaction has been triggered. The problem is that during all of those swings, the body is releasing all sorts of chemicals, some of which the brain generally likes, or finds stimulating. So, paradoxically, the brain begins to crave the chemicals released during a very unhealthy process.

Does that make sense?

Oh wow!! That is crazy. 

So, with me.... I am happy and doing fine with what i’m Doing RIGHT NOW and I can feel good, look good, lose weight, etc. But then.... life happens, I get busy and can’t make myself something low carb, I get resentful because everyone can have dessert and I have decaf coffee. But I can’t cheat and then get right back on track. I fall off the wagon and it runs over me and I will eat myself into a carb stupor and then just be back on carbs and depressed because I feel like a failure once again and then it takes all I can do to get back on and stay on. I guess it’s sugar sensitivity or something. My age.😩

And this is a Low-carb Booya/h!!

Edited by KrissiK
Booyah, Baby!!
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I drove to the grocery store. Many of the shelves are bare due to not getting deliveries. They are putting out things like tripe- maybe someone will finally buy it!

Or Vienna sausages. Do any of you gals like/eat Vienna sausages?? I have never in my life been served those or bought them myself, or even know anyone who eats them. And yet, they are for sale.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Or Vienna sausages. Do any of you gals like/eat Vienna sausages?? I have never in my life been served those or bought them myself, or even know anyone who eats them. And yet, they are for sale.

I loved Vienna sausages when I was a little girl.  I called them Dot Dogs.

• Like 5