Menu

Ignore this thread!

I can go along with Piano Man as Classic Rock. What I don't like is when Bon Jovi and Whitesnake are playing on the "Soft" rock station.  WT?

I finished my Biology 2 and Consumer/Business Math class plans for the rest of the session.  So I'm making progress on my to-do list. At one point I thought I lost ALL the work I had done on Math and it was a lot.  That's a new class for me so it's taking more time than usual to put together.  But, it turns out that Powerpoint can bring back a presentation that you didn't save.  Yippee.  I would have gone right to bed if all that work had truly been lost because the day would be over for me.

• Like 3

OK OK.  Piano Man can be classic rock.  It just sounded a little namby-pamby after Queen and Van Halen.  But I can see how Billy Joel fits in with classic rock as a whole.

I finished the shopping.  We have coffee filters and butter and bananas and bread.  Dd12 is growing crystals in the kitchen.  Dh and ds23 are at Target or something buying ds a winter coat.  My throat is feeling pretty good but I can feel the cough coming on.  I should be OK for tomorrow's wedding gig.  Instant Pot whole turkey breast is for dinner.

More coffee!

• Like 2

MIL question. She's decided that they're driving down next Christmas. How would you gracefully tell her no? Or would you? Factors:

1. I don't like people here at Christmas.
  2. She plans on driving and FIL should not do that with his health problems.
  3. They are planning on a hotel.
  4. I have her only true grandchildren.
  5. SIL has decided to spend all future holidays with fBIL's family so M/FIL will be alone for all foreseeable Christmases.

I will not address the situation now but want to have an answer before it comes up again.

Eta: We not only have the only true grandchildren but I believe she hasn't seen the others in years so we're all she's got.

Edited by Slache

8 minutes ago, Slache said:

MIL question. She's decided that they're driving down next Christmas. How would you gracefully tell her no? Or would you? Factors:

1. I don't like people here at Christmas.
  2. She plans on driving and FIL should not do that with his health problems.
  3. They are planning on a hotel.
  4. I have her only true grandchildren.
  5. SIL has decided to spend all future holidays with fBIL's family so M/FIL will be alone for all foreseeable Christmases.

I will not address the situation now but want to have an answer before it comes up again.

Eta: We not only have the only true grandchildren but I believe she hasn't seen the others in years so we're all she's got.

Let's decide after the baby is born.

My real answer: Let's talk about it in October.  (I would lean toward yes depending on FIL's health.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Junie said:

Let's decide after the baby is born.

My real answer: Let's talk about it in October.  (I would lean toward yes depending on FIL's health.)

I could get pregnant! Junie, that's brilliant!

If he said we'll talk about it later she would throw a complete fit and it would become a thing. That's why I want to think about it now. FIL will not get better. He cannot sit in a car for more than an hour without horrific pain. Why a 17 hour drive sounds like a good idea is beyond me. Wait, no it's not. She just doesn't care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is like the worst post ever. No one wants to spend Christmas with her so she wants to come here but we don't want her either what do we do? If we say yes I want to collaborate on a flight. We can forego our family gift from them and then pay the rest which will be less than $100. I do not want FIL driving down. I think they'll wind up in an ER in Tennessee.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Ok. The decision. I posted this long thing about how she's really manipulative which is why this a thing now, how it's going to be a huge fight every phone call etc. and decided that I just don't want this woman to run another one of my Christmases. We will haveva Christmas at home by ourselves and they can come later for a second Christmas celebration if they want to.

Also, after gas, dood at hotel, flying is cheaper.

• Like 4

Hi, JJM! 

I had the opportunity to try Jello shots in college, but they didn't look overly appealing, so I abstained.

I worked my butt off, libraried in a judicious way (books for the boys, and only one for me...a little one...on drawing...and illustrating books....), came home, cheered my critique partner, read three first chapters for positive comments only, enjoyed them all, and now I'm going to bed because it's dark outside and I'm tired. Also, I lost my voice again. I had to use it too much today. Back to asthmatic bullfrog, and I can't remember if I took my medicine this evening. But I think I did. 

ETA: It's a....a...a forgetabooyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I meant for the cough.  You gotta remember I'm the one that doesn't like the taste of any alcohol.  So shots wouldn't have been on my radar.  😂😊😌😁😀😳😊😃

I assumed they were made of rum because it's sweet but most recipes call for vodka because it's cheap and the point of Jello shots is to get plastered fast. I think. I was a very boring teenager.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Eewwwww!  I don't know which is worse--butterscotch or alcohol!!  Maybe pineapple-coconut?  That's the only drink I have liked.  Coconut rum with pineapple juice.  But dh says I don't put enough rum in for it to count.

I like piña colada Slurpees!

• Like 1

We made egg nog a couple weeks ago and dh put bourbon in the cups of adult people.  Except he put the amount in each cup that was supposed to go in the whole recipe!  Couldn't drink it.

Jello shots sound super gross.

I've taken super-duper medicine that is supposed to keep me from coughing up a lung tonight.  We'll see.

It's not too early to go to bed, right?

• Like 4

I have never had alcohol, although I did once almost drink some spiked orange juice at a cast party -- at the high school music teacher's house.  Thankfully a friend stopped me just as I was putting the glass to my mouth.  My mom would have been livid (at the teacher, not me).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

Eewwwww!  I don't know which is worse--butterscotch or alcohol!!  Maybe pineapple-coconut?  That's the only drink I have liked.  Coconut rum with pineapple juice.  But dh says I don't put enough rum in for it to count.

Yes, I like pina coladas.....and getting caught in the rain.

I only like alcohol that doesn't taste like alcohol.  I drink maybe once a month.  A single beer.  A pina colada or a margarita or a daquari maybe once a year.  And I know I spelled daquari wrong but the suggestion is aquarium.   I actually like frozen drinks better than beer, but they are harder to make so only have them when we are out.  And I don't like alcohol when I'm out to dinner because it makes me feel bloated and yucky and I want to enjoy my meal.

I really should be in bed.  It's after 11pm here.  

Good night.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I had access to all the alcohol I could want.  My mom and stepdad let us have small amounts of wine or beer, and other parents (relatives and friends) would let us have wine or gin and lemonade or beer or whatever, starting by the time I was 13 or so.  I just never could stand the taste.  I say that it is God's way of saving me since my mom was an alcoholic and I can certainly get addicted to things easily.

Yep. My mom would have killed for me to be her drinking buddy.

• Sad 3

57 minutes ago, Junie said:

Don't cry, Slachie.

Some day -- a long time from now, I hope -- I will be in heaven with no food allergies.

I wonder if there will be a McDonald's in heaven...

I still get McDonald's cheeseburger cravings sometimes.  But then I remember the last time I had one - after years of not having any - and remember how it tasted like chemicals and I couldn't even finish it.  But I still have the cravings of how my mind thinks they tasted way back when. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

Dd16 threw up during the night.  In the bathroom, fortunately.  Imma get the turkey bone broth sinmering and we can all drink that later today and get better. I have to leave in a couple hours for the wedding gig.  The medicine did a pretty good job stopping the cough but I don't think I slept well and I had a lot of weird dreams.

Coffee!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Christmas was great. 

You should all run out and get a dermaroller. I picked one up on a whim while getting DD some weird beauty/spa stuff for her present. She had too much so I kept it for myself. I've used it a few times since Christmas and the difference is crazy. 

BIL left this morning. MIL will be here for the week but it's ok. At least we didn't have to travel!

• Like 6

I made it through the night without having to get up for cough syrup! Good thing, because I'm down to my last dose. Still coughing, but at least I can get through a night without it. Still congested. Still sneezing. My ears are still stopped up. But it's better. Still have a fistful of antibiotics. I'm not sure this is my final round, though. We will see.

• Like 5

DH just went for the grocery run. He plans to cut wood later today for a fire. The elder cat will appreciate that. I'm staying home because still coughing, and the sickly turtle overdid it yesterday and now has a nasty sore throat and feels down again. He's going to stay home and rest. 

Looks like a nice, quiet day, with lots of writing in it.

• Like 4

How do you think bone broth would be in tea?  I don't drink coffee.

I got my Kavu bag.  It's not as big as I thought it would be but it holds my planner and my journal/notebook, plus all my regular purse stuff so it should work okay.   I bought the galaxy print because I decided I wasn't going to worry about it matching or looking sedate and formal.  I liked the galaxy print so I bought it.  

With the same rationale, I'm going to buy a set of small How to Tame Your Dragon figurines.  Because I really like dragons, especially Toothless.  I have a whole collection of small plastic animal/character toys behind my desk at the science center.  Most are just ones I found in the lego box or somewhere while cleaning up.  A few Pokemon, a few animals, a few Minecraft thingys.  I like them, they make me feel happy (and ds and I play a game where he "steals" them and hides them somewhere for me to find).  

I decided I'm tired of not doing things because they are silly or not adult.  If it makes me happy and doesn't hurt anyone, what does it matter?  Nobody was making me feel like I couldn't, it was purely an internal thing (maybe remnants from ex?). 

I told ds about the new rules.  He's not sure how he feels about them.  He kind of thinks it might work out even better than the old rules, but that two hours before bed time seems like a loooong time.   

We are looking into a way for them to listen to their music without being online since I think the temptation will be too much, especially for dd but she's easy.  If we turn off the wifi to her device, she can't go online but can still listen to music since it's an iPod.  Ds listens through youtube so turning off wifi won't work.  So we have to figure out how to download the music he listens to (which is weird game music).  I doubt most of it is available through iTunes.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

This particular broth would be fine.  It's unflavored and not greasy.

Maybe get him an echo?  Nevermind.  Wi-Fi.

Actually, an echo might work because the plan is to turn off wifi to their devices not the entire wifi.  We have a new router that I just set up this morning and I can set it to turn off to certain devices at a certain time.   How does the echo work though?  Would it play music through youtube?

• Like 1