Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I'm looking at Junie's goals. What does better posture mean?

I'm contemplating...

• 52 walks outside by myself (because I'm a big girl now).
  • Lose 12 pounds
  • Listen to 52 sermons outside of church
  • Memorize 12 scriptures
  • 52 games with the kids
  • Read Spanish 365 times
  • 52 short stories to the kids or by myself (still thinking)

I keep my goals list open on my computer most of the time so that I can mark things off as I accomplish them.

Better posture means that every time I find myself slouching or sitting in an awkward position at the computer, I correct myself into sitting up straight and then I mark it on my goals list.  It actually helped me a lot last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am getting a handle on meals for this semester.  Monday soups will be Panera broccoli cheese, Kansas City Steak, and coconut lime chicken curry.  Wednesday tacos same as last semester (de carnitas, fish, beef/bean), but cutting out the creamy chicken tacos.  Thursdays - salmon & rice, spaghetti pie, and spagetti-less lo mein.  Friday - turkey pot pie, baked sauerdraut with brats, shepherd's pie.  Saturday - gyros, chicken crack wraps, and a vegetarian pasta dish.

I think I might be able to find gyros meat at GFS.  I might stop by there tomorrow before Aldi opens.

Feels like I haven't gotten much done, but I cleaned my bathroom counter and toilet, got rid of the old toothbrush holder and put up the new one plus an organizing basket.  I cleaned out and organized my spices on the new spice rack, put dividers in the misc. kitchen tool drawer and organized that, and figured out a better way to store my cutting boards and baking sheets and this other misc. stuff that was driving me nuts.  And I'm honing in on my 2019 list.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Junie said:

I keep my goals list open on my computer most of the time so that I can mark things off as I accomplish them.

Better posture means that every time I find myself slouching or sitting in an awkward position at the computer, I correct myself into sitting up straight and then I mark it on my goals list.  It actually helped me a lot last year.

This is great!

4 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

I achieved my 2018 goal to kill no one.  I am so impressed with myself that I believe that I shall try to extend my streak for another year. #Goals

Crap. I should have added that. Now we're having all these legal problems and we're moving. It's a whole thing.

• Like 4

I know why I was down last night. Post-project depression. Not that I don't have another project, but I finished a first draft, and there's no more of that story to write. And I have to table revisions and rewriting for a while because I need to work on my novel that's going on sub in a few months. Gosh, that's scary. Going on sub. Good grief.

Anyway, I slept well and spent most of the day writing. Did almost 6K of information that might be needed for revisions, and I'm putting these things in one place so I have them when I need them. Most of this is worldbuilding information that has been in my head for many years, and applied to the book, but needs to be more intricately detailed. Fun, but exacting.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I know why I was down last night. Post-project depression. Not that I don't have another project, but I finished a first draft, and there's no more of that story to write. And I have to table revisions and rewriting for a while because I need to work on my novel that's going on sub in a few months. Gosh, that's scary. Going on sub. Good grief.

Anyway, I slept well and spent most of the day writing. Did almost 6K of information that might be needed for revisions, and I'm putting these things in one place so I have them when I need them. Most of this is worldbuilding information that has been in my head for many years, and applied to the book, but needs to be more intricately detailed. Fun, but exacting.

What's your favorite collection of short stories? Preferable something child friendly & public domain.

• Like 2

So.  Helpful tidbit here.  If your significant other is putting all your cookbooks back in the high cabinet and happens to find a completely unused "Mom's Family Desk Planner" from 2008, it can be used this year, because the dates line up.  

ETA: at least through February, because 2008 was a leap year.  :mellow:  Oh well.  It has Sandra Boynton stickers!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

So.  Helpful tidbit here.  If your significant other is putting all your cookbooks back in the high cabinet and happens to find a completely unused "Mom's Family Desk Planner" from 2008, it can be used this year, because the dates line up.  

ETA: at least through February, because 2008 was a leap year.  :mellow:  Oh well.  It has Sandra Boynton stickers!

I've done this with a calendar. It's every 7 years so save it for 2022.

9 minutes ago, Junie said:

Susan, I'm interested in doing better in meal planning this year.  Can you tell me exactly how your meals are scheduled?  I know you have soup on Mondays, but I don't know the rest.

Not Susan, but we cook 3 days per week and have leftovers 3 days per week. We also double and freeze a lot.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Junie said:

Susan, I'm interested in doing better in meal planning this year.  Can you tell me exactly how your meals are scheduled?  I know you have soup on Mondays, but I don't know the rest.

It's mostly based on our activity schedule.  We have soup on Mondays because I can stick it in the slowcooker and it's ready when we get back from all our activities.  Tuesdays we have a "picnic" dinner in the car because we are driving to kid's orchestra rehearsal during dinnertime.  The rest of the nights are mostly random.  I usually pick 4 meals for each day of the week to rotate except this semester I'm just doing 3 different meals.  Ideally they will last 4 months, and they usually last a bit longer.  We have a giant upright deep freezer that makes it all possible - soups especially.  For a lot of the meals I just cook and freeze the meats ahead and make sure I have all the other necessary ingredients on hand when that meal is coming up.

Am I answering any of your questions? 😬

ETA: I don't like meal planning or cooking in particular, so having everything mostly "settled" ahead of time is really helpful for my general stress levels.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

It's mostly based on our activity schedule.  We have soup on Mondays because I can stick it in the slowcooker and it's ready when we get back from all our activities.  Tuesdays we have a "picnic" dinner in the car because we are driving to kid's orchestra rehearsal during dinnertime.  The rest of the nights are mostly random.  I usually pick 4 meals for each day of the week to rotate except this semester I'm just doing 3 different meals.  Ideally they will last 4 months, and they usually last a bit longer.  We have a giant upright deep freezer that makes it all possible - soups especially.  For a lot of the meals I just cook and freeze the meats ahead and make sure I have all the other necessary ingredients on hand when that meal is coming up.

Am I answering any of your questions? 😬

ETA: I don't like meal planning or cooking in particular, so having everything mostly "settled" ahead of time is really helpful for my general stress levels.

I think so.  😉

You have a rotating schedule of 3 or 4 weeks.  Do you have this written down on a calendar or something so that you can remember?

And what do you mean it will last 4 months?  The meat/etc. in the freezer?

I think I'm getting it...  :)

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Critter,

I have an 11 year old beagle border collie cross with dry skin. She has chronic pancreatitis so I'm nervous about applying oil. Fix it, please.

Moisturizing pet shampoo and possibly a leave in product, conditioner or a derma-soothe spray.

• Thanks 1

Week 1

Monday: sausage biscuits/eggs

Tuesday: chicken and noodles

Wednesday: pasta/meatballs

Thursday: fajitas/nachos

Friday: baked chicken/mashed potatoes

Week 2

Monday: waffles/bacon

Tuesday: chicken pot pie

Wednesday: pasta casserole/garlic toast

Thursday: steak/baked potatoes

Friday: Italian-seasoned chicken

Week 3

Monday: omelets/sausage

Tuesday: chicken alfredo/noodles

Wednesday: pasta/Italian sausage

Thursday: beef and broccoli/rice

Friday: glazed chicken

I think I've got it.  Now I just need to do it. :hiding:

We've had a Sunday routine for years: pasta for lunch/tacos for dinner.

I know my meals aren't the healthiest out there and we eat a lot of pasta.  Maybe that will be a goal for 2020.

I have to have easy meals that I can prepare with a migraine and/or an arthritis flare.  And I have picky eaters.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Junie said:

I think so.  😉

You have a rotating schedule of 3 or 4 weeks.  Do you have this written down on a calendar or something so that you can remember?

And what do you mean it will last 4 months?  The meat/etc. in the freezer?

I think I'm getting it...  :)

I have it on my ipad Note.  It looks like this:

Meals 
Monday
>Tomato bisque/chz crackers (0)
Loaded potato (cr cheese) (1)
Lemon chicken tarragon (crm)(0)
Chili (1)

Tuesday
Picnic (hb eggs/turkey-cheese rolls, muffin/bread/chips, fruit, dessert)

Wednesday
>Tacos de carnitas (tortillas, mango salsa, sour cream, cabbage/greens) (0)
Beef & bean tacos (shells, salsa/queso, onions, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes) (1)
Creamy chicken tacos (cr. chz) (1)
Fish tacos (cilantro lime sauce)(1)

Thursday 
>Salmon/rice (1)
W.African plasas/rice (spinch)(0)
Turkey masala (mushrooms, sour cream) w/rice (1)
Greek chicken bake w/rice (0)

Friday 
>Turkey Pot pie (pie crusts) (2)
BBQ sandwiches/rice (1)
Shepherd's pie beef (3)
Chicken avocado enchilada casserole (drain thawed liquid) (1)

Saturday
>Spaghetti It. sausage/meatball(1)
Brats w/sauerkraut, spaetzle/cornbread muffins (2)
Roasted Whole Turkey breast (1)
IP pork tenderloin/veg/salad (1)

The number in paretheses indicates the number of those meals I have left, which I sometimes remember to change.  (The meals lasting 4 months means I have enough of those meals to cover 4 months.  For instance, 4 months worth of Monday Soups means I need 16-18 8C freezer containers of soup.) The little > indicates which meal we are on for that week.  Also in parentheses I'll sometimes add things I need to get at the store for that meal, or what I'm serving with it.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Junie said:

Week 1

Monday: sausage biscuits/eggs

Tuesday: chicken and noodles

Wednesday: pasta/meatballs

Thursday: fajitas/nachos

Friday: baked chicken/mashed potatoes

Week 2

Monday: waffles/bacon

Tuesday: chicken pot pie

Wednesday: pasta casserole/garlic toast

Thursday: steak/baked potatoes

Friday: Italian-seasoned chicken

Week 3

Monday: omelets/sausage

Tuesday: chicken alfredo/noodles

Wednesday: pasta/Italian sausage

Thursday: beef and broccoli/rice

Friday: glazed chicken

Oh, that's very nice!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Junie said:

I know my meals aren't the healthiest out there and we eat a lot of pasta.  Maybe that will be a goal for 2020.

This is hard. See, if you eat a certain way (paleo) then it's more expensive but you eat less. If you stagger back and forth then you are still eating as much but some of your meals are more expensive. It's frustrating. We've made a clean(ish) break from all grains, starches and sugars. It sounds expensive but our grocery budget is lower because we don't eat snacks or desserts and hardly eat breakfast.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Slache said:

This is hard. See, if you eat a certain way (paleo) then it's more expensive but you eat less. If you stagger back and forth then you are still eating as much but some of your meals are more expensive. It's frustrating. We've made a clean(ish) break from all grains, starches and sugars. It sounds expensive but our grocery budget is lower because we don't eat snacks or desserts and hardly eat breakfast.

It's not the cost of eating healthy that is necessarily a problem.  It's the physical labor of cooking.

And I'm a carb addict. 😞

I know that if I ate better I would (likely) feel (some) better, but I just can't handle that right now.

And we don't have money to hire a chef.  That would be the best option.  :)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Slache said:

Susan, what about squats and pushups?

Pushups will (eventually) be part of the burpees - I *really* am not very strong.  Squats are awesome, but I want to build up my leg strength a little first because I have knee issues.  I think the knee issue will be helped with more muscle and good stretching.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My meal planning goes like this. “Hmmm. What do I feel like cooking tonight?”  Then I run to the store for any ingredients that I don’t have on hand. Works so much better for me than planning it all out. 

This is kind of how I've been doing it, but I don't go to the store.  I just hunt something down in the pantry, fridge, or freezer.  It doesn't always go well.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My meal planning goes like this. “Hmmm. What do I feel like cooking tonight?”  Then I run to the store for any ingredients that I don’t have on hand. Works so much better for me than planning it all out. 

If that was my menu planning, we would alternate dinners of ice cream and popcorn, because those are the only things that I ever feel like eating.  :laugh:  I never feel like cooking.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Matt won't run out so I have to plan everything out to the letter. I'm hoping our next apartment is walking distance from a grocery store. I wouldn't mind getting out and we wouldn't have to eat without certain ingredients!

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

9 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

If that was my menu planning, we would alternate dinners of ice cream and popcorn, because those are the only things that I ever feel like eating.  :laugh:  I never feel like cooking.

However, I often think it would be fun when I "retire" for dh and I to walk down to the local farmer's vegetable stand and buy veggies and stuff for lunch and dinner.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had quesadillas for dinner since we had a big yummy lunch at my Mom and dad’s today.

Ok, so I have successfully condensed all my homeschooling stuff to fit on one IKEA cubby thing. (The large one). DH was not happy with all the junk I had collected and he was right. I had too much. And it was not helpful to have all that stuff. Just overwhelming.

iTired, but there are dishes to be done.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

There is some method to my madness. I have a general alternation of proteins - nothing set in stone. I just don’t want chicken every day. We also eat Paleo most days. So that’s always in mind. I have a Pinterest board with recipes that were hits. And I have a Pinterest board with ideas that I haven’t tried yet for those days when I want something different. I live three minutes from the grocery store by car and about 15 minutes walking. I don’t cook every single day- we have leftovers like most people do too. And I am a good cook. Things have gotten a lot better though from the days when it would take me an hour to peel one carrot. 

• Like 3