Menu

Ignore this thread!

41 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I found hand me down dress clothes, including shoes, for younger ds in a box.  Both girls are taken care of.  Just need to work on older ds now.  

Query:  It's x family's custom to take portraits at funerals. (I think we discussed this a few years ago at the last funeral).  I have a standard black dress I've been wearing for 10 years now. Do I need to get a new dress?  I don't think I'm headed to a funeral this week, but I get the feeling that I need to be prepared.

If you can still fit in a dress you wore 10 years ago, then you should just rock it and not bother with a new one.  Hugs for you and your family.  

27 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I have a headache.

I sabotaged my low-carb eating plan with fresh made chocolate chip banana bread.

I've been eating brownie bites (from AFSA) leftover from our get together with friends yesterday.  After I made spaghetti for ds because he wanted a pasta dinner before he swims tomorrow.  (Swim moms need carbs too????!!!!)  

And my Mom has been dieting in a reasonable way for several months.  She now weighs ~25lbs less than I do.  ?  (Go Mom!) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Maybe because the draft before the rewrites was so good?  I know the editor possibly has market reasons for wanting more of this and less of that, but I'm imagining your manuscript like a Rembrandt and she's asking you to make it a Van Gogh.  Maybe you should keep your Rembrandt.  

signed, a friend who knows nothing about writing fiction, but hates to see you suffer and wonders if it's beneficial.....  ❤️

I would rather stay Rembrandt, that's for sure. Nothing against Van Gogh, but I like my ears.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I sent her a very, very, very old draft that stunk to high heaven, but at least had a quick opening to see if that's what she's after. Maybe I can find a suitable compromise somewhere. If not, I can't. And then I'll stop caring because it's not something I can do right now, and I'll just try to work on places where I can do some good.

• Like 2

And wait on a little bit more Beta reading feedback. Got me a new critique partner too. Her MS isn't quite finished, so we will be swapping in a few weeks. She isn't accustomed to reading epic fantasy, although she taught a class on fantasy literature! But she's good at picking out places where she's confused, and if I can just figure out what makes sense for her, I think I'll be getting somewhere when it comes to making the story more accessible for readers. 

Plus I still have an editor who picked my story out to Beta read because it interested her, and she's been raving about it. So I may get some help from her as well.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

And wait on a little bit more Beta reading feedback. Got me a new critique partner too. Her MS isn't quite finished, so we will be swapping in a few weeks. She isn't accustomed to reading epic fantasy, although she taught a class on fantasy literature! But she's good at picking out places where she's confused, and if I can just figure out what makes sense for her, I think I'll be getting somewhere when it comes to making the story more accessible for readers. 

Plus I still have an editor who picked my story out to Beta read because it interested her, and she's been raving about it. So I may get some help from her as well.

Well, of course!!!  That's awesome!  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I have a headache.

I sabotaged my low-carb eating plan with fresh made chocolate chip banana bread.

If I could have gluten, I would totally binge on your chocolate chip banana bread right now. My eyes hurt from crying and my nose is all stuffed up.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I found hand me down dress clothes, including shoes, for younger ds in a box.  Both girls are taken care of.  Just need to work on older ds now.  

Query:  It's x family's custom to take portraits at funerals. (I think we discussed this a few years ago at the last funeral).  I have a standard black dress I've been wearing for 10 years now. Do I need to get a new dress?  I don't think I'm headed to a funeral this week, but I get the feeling that I need to be prepared.

Standard black dresses can be accessorized. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

What do you do if your parents/in laws are too toxic to have in your home but cannot afford assisted living?

Hope that your brother or sister will take care of them.  That's what I'm doing.

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

If you want a new dress and can afford a new dress, then of course you need one.

If not, the dress you have is perfect.

37 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

If I could have gluten, I would totally binge on your chocolate chip banana bread right now. My eyes hurt from crying and my nose is all stuffed up.

(((Critterfixer)))

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

The Filipinos I used to work with always said they hated beimg called Asian.

Dh, who is full Filipino, says that either designation is correct but not all forms have the Pacific Islander choice.   These are SELF identifications. I am not going to make my kids fit into a box of someone else’s choosing. Having said that, I am very glad that in recent years that they can check more than one box. Having to deny half their ethnicity back in the days when you could only check one box wasn’t cool. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Slache said:

We're listening to Linkin Park. How is your evening going?

Took a walk with dh, ds23, and dd11 and now reading Jurassic Park.

I want a box that says "Viking".  But if we're being honest, it would be more accurate to say "mild-mannered Scandinavian".

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Dh, who is full Filipino, says that either designation is correct but not all forms have the Pacific Islander choice.   These are SELF identifications. I am not going to make my kids fit into a box of someone else’s choosing. Having said that, I am very glad that in recent years that they can check more than one box. Having to deny half their ethnicity back in the days when you could only check one box wasn’t cool. 

Yeah, I still check the boxes for oldest DS, but he is African American- Mexican. He needs more than one box, although if he had to choose only one, he definitely identifies as African American.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

There's no such thing as a thunderbolt!

My whole life is a lie.

Everyone knows that. Your life is not a lie. You just need to go lay down for a little while with a cold compress on your forehead and sip some mint water. You’ll feel better soon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Everyone knows that. Your life is not a lie. You just need to go lay down for a little while with a cold compress on your forehead and sip some mint water. You’ll feel better soon.

Chocolate would work better. I need chocolate.

• Like 1

Dd11's counselor from camp emailed me about a dozen pictures from camp.  It was so nice of her to take pictures of her doing new things so that we can enjoy her experiences with her.

She went canoeing, went down a water slide, and even went on a zipline!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Slache said:

Everyone let Matt walk around with a flower stuck in the hair on the top of his head all day without telling him. This is what it means to be a part of our family.

Dd15 manages to attach a streamer "tail" on me at every Old Lady Party.  Someone usually lets me know before I leave.  :blink: 

• Like 5

You guys, I hope this isn't political but... Even when I benefit from it, it just sickens me how much more stuff rich people get from the same amount of work, than poor people. Like I KNOW I am not more important than a nurse. I just am not.

And yet. Because I can make rich people richer and I decided to use my power... I get so much crap. So. Much. Crap.

At the same time, yay! Free crap! Stuff that took 10% of my salary when I worked to give hard working adults a better future is now free because I work to sell rich people stuff they don't need! Yay?

• Like 5

Did not sleep well. Caffeine will save me.

Got feedback from my critique partner on the rewrite. She asked if I have plenty of matches or a lighter. I do!:laugh: So back to the drawing board, but first, I plan to draw this morning and get some character sketches going. Also, I can edit the last bit of the novella prior to rewrites on it. And play with my very fluid, very loose first draft of the sequel where anything can happen and it usually does. 

Very much in a box defying mood this morning...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

Lynn, you are up waaaaaaaaay too early!

Dh is going to Pittsburgh for the day.  Ds13 has a cello lesson with The Professor.  But first, I need pantz so I can go to Aldi.  If I can get ready in time, I might be able to work on some Swedish and Finnish fiddle tunes beforehand.

Coffee!

• Like 6

Good morning! My box of chai is empty today, so I'm facing the dilemma: go out and get some, or go without? I think I gotta go get some but that means getting dressed and stuff when I'm not awake yet ? 

It's DH's birthday, but he isn't a birthday person, so we don't really have anything super special planned. I think we'll have some people over to play board games this weekend.

DS has Magic group then Ultimate Frisbee, DD has her first tennis lesson. I have 2 classes to teach at the exact same time as these activities, so it's going to be hubby who gets them there. I feel a bit bad asking him to do things on his birthday.

I'm also working on a translation that I agreed to and then promptly forgot about, so now I'm under a bit of a time crunch. Oops!

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!L~D

Tuesday!!!

HOT!!?????????

Nothing going on today!! I will try to get more curriculum ordered. I got a little $ to spend with this charter. You cannot use the $ for Christian curriculum and since I used my own $ to buy CLE math and Nottgrass history i’ve Got some l need to spend. I do want the kids up for some classes they might not otherwise be able to take, but my teacher also suggested something fun like Kiwi Crates, so I need to look into that.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Tsuga said:

That is okay. Health is long game and constant improvement and forgiveness is the best strategy. Did you do better than yesterday? Are you able to believe in yourself for tomorrow?

You’re right. I need print out your words and tape them to the refrigerator.

• Like 2