• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I get to the doctor go 'round, too. I've had inexpicable bleeding the last 4 cycles, so I'm having lab work done (blood taken yesterday) and today's appointment is for an ultrasound. I don't know what they're lookong for, but I guess I'll learn more today.

:grouphug:

I hope you get your electrical dilemma sorted out Jean. That's really strange.

Yeah, I'm stumped.  I checked breakers and GFI circuits.  All looks fine.  Everything else is above my pay grade.  But we have power in the bathroom so we can see to go potty.  And we have water.  And heat.  And internet.  And kitchen appliances.  So really I have no reason to complain. 

• Like 2

Crap.  The living room doesn't have power either.  Basically the front half of the house has no power while the back half does. 

More rats coming indoors thsi year. Something might have eaten through a line. The bugs and creatures are all weird this year.

• Like 2

French spelling will be the death of me.

This is why I don't French. I love the sound of it, I really do, but it's bonkers.

D:

I wish I could go. I really cannot. And also should not. I think a lot of people would be angry if I sat there coughing or clearing my throat the whole time.

Lo siento.

Lingual Booya.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 3

I get to the doctor go 'round, too. I've had inexpicable bleeding the last 4 cycles, so I'm having lab work done (blood taken yesterday) and today's appointment is for an ultrasound. I don't know what they're lookong for, but I guess I'll learn more today.

:grouphug:

Yeah, I'm stumped.  I checked breakers and GFI circuits.  All looks fine.  Everything else is above my pay grade.  But we have power in the bathroom so we can see to go potty.  And we have water.  And heat.  And internet.  And kitchen appliances.  So really I have no reason to complain. 

That's so weird.  And random.  And frustrating.

I haz death. I went downhill so fast. My everything hurts. Especially my throat. I was fine 6 hours ago.

Downhill fast sounds like flu.   :grouphug:

French spelling will be the death of me.

That's not allowed.  

• Like 4

Edpo

I don’t know if RLTL is working out. She doesn’t seem to be retaining anything. She still can’t remember what th says and balks at the word the. I’m feeling very discouraged.

I never used RLTL, but maybe you could take a break for a bit.  Do you have anything else on hand you could try if you don't want a complete break? 

We are having the last of the fruit for dinner. Except for one grapefruit. The kids are getting panicky. :willy_nilly:

The kids have identified a couple ancient Roman coins. One is from the 380's and the other 326/327 (AD). The others are still too crusted to get anything from.

Are you stranded at a Roman archeological site without food?  Did I miss something?

• Like 8

Well, we could go back to the readers we were using. They’re sort of like BOB books. She doesn’t want to do anything. She’s getting more and more resistant to the idea of reading in general. :(. I guess I could just let her play on apps and do more reading aloud.

Is this Twilight Sprinkle?  Have you gotten the vision test results yet? 

• Like 1

Well, we could go back to the readers we were using. They’re sort of like BOB books. She doesn’t want to do anything. She’s getting more and more resistant to the idea of reading in general. :(. I guess I could just let her play on apps and do more reading aloud.

Does she like to write or do copywork?  if she just LOVES that kind of thing you might have her do the "pre" Explode the Code books.  Or maybe some Kumon books.  Something for fun that keeps letters and sounds around her in a low key way.  Also, I used play a Bingo type game with CVC words when they could sound those out but not fluent enough to read without frustration.  It let them practice in a fun way.  I'm guessing apps would work similarly.  

• Like 1

Do you have a fever?? The flu comes on fast.

No. I feel all better! This happened to Matt last night. Like being hit by a Mac truck and then walking away. Let's hope that's the end of this.

Slache — Tamiflu?

I don't know what this is. It's tea, right? I don't have any. Bad mom. Also, I'm opposed to a break from RLTL because of everything she could forget. If you break I would keep drilling phonograms and spelling rules until you either return or decide to scrap it. And if you return I would redo some old spelling lists as a warm up to diving in to new stuff. That's what we did when I had recovered from death by pregnancy.

That was Gymnast last year at 6. Didn't want to read. At. All. Only wanted to do scribble writing. I wrote my anguish here on ITT last January. I dropped it all and didn't even make her do apps. She did the Starfall app on her own when she wanted, and I concentrated on reading aloud.

Somewhere during that time, I bought The Reading Lesson (the actual program isn't really important to the story), and eventually she became open to trying to read again. Writing was still torturous, so I didn't do it at all. I was pretty concerned that she was 6 and not reading or wanting to write letters. Mind you, I didn't want to wait too long because there is dyslexia in the family, so I was keeping an eye out for interventions. I just let it go. It worked itself out. 

• Like 2

One of the Turtles was eight before he was reading with any degree of fluency. He and I really worked on spelling the words before sounding them out and reading them. He reads well now, but I don't think it will ever be his most favorite thing. He'd rather play golf and draw elaborate diagrams for things he wants to build. But give the boy a book on golf and improving your swing and you can't dig him out of it.

• Like 4

They did part one. Dh went, not me, bc no sibs allowed. He said her binocular vision doesn’t work very close or far, her eyes will tire easy, she has trouble distnguishing letters that are ver close together (idk how close), and it helps if you hold a blank piece of paper under the line so she doesn’t get lost. He seemed to suggest that after about four months of vision therapy they could fix it bc it wasn’t her brain?

She likes the Draw Write Now.

It would not bother me a bit to let her do Draw, Write, Now and read alouds and apps while she has VT for 4 months.  

• Like 4

I am here to attest to a writing miracle.  Dd has written an essay.  An actual essay.  With a thesis and everything.  There have been some doozy of tantrums in the past - at one time even when I would ask her to write one stupid measly sentence.  And not only has she written the essay, but she is rewriting it and is taking my critique in stride.  :svengo:Butter my butt and call me a biscuit!  

• Like 10

Tamiflu is an antiviral, if you had the flu you’d have 72 hours to get it. Idk the pros/cons. Glad you no longer haz death.

That’s the thing, though. She remembers letter sounds she learned last year but she can’t remember anything new from RLTL. SoI’m not sure there’s anything to forget, kwim?

I see. Yeah, that's not fun.

Thanks, Mom. I guess I’m kind of a mess today bc I started crying at your post.

Oh my goodness. :grouphug:

There's far too much emphasis on all this stuff. She's okay! It's okay. She's fine.

Butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

No.
  • Like 2

I am here to attest to a writing miracle.  Dd has written an essay.  An actual essay.  With a thesis and everything.  There have been some doozy of tantrums in the past - at one time even when I would ask her to write one stupid measly sentence.  And not only has she written the essay, but she is rewriting it and is taking my critique in stride.  :svengo:Butter my butt and call me a biscuit!  

Is there some pixie dust or a spell or something you could share with the rest of us?  

• Like 2

Early to tomorrow morning is the Blue Super Duper Blood Moon Eclipse.

Last time I checked we're in an area marked 'red' on the map, as in, poor viewing. Which is unfortunate, since we have a lake to the west, so, the view shouldn't be obstructed by buildings/mountains/etc. I'll check again before bedtime to see what the forecast is. On the bright side, an excuse to not get up super duper early is good too. 

Edpo!

:banghead: What do you do with a 5th grader or entering 6th grader or w/e who can read (does an above grade level job on non-fiction reading comprehension tests), but who reads super quickly, often seems to just not read stuff at all when you ask him to, and if you ask him questions about it often can't answer because he "doesn't remember"? I suspect some mild dyslexia - he mostly just has a ton of sight words memorized (easy because of ASD?), and while he *can* sound words out, it's a struggle, and he very, very, very much prefers not to. But either way, I have mostly been reading things out loud to him and the other kid, other than just books they read for fun and the occasional reading comprehension stuff with multiple choice questions etc, but he's really getting to a point where if I tell him to read something I need him to read it, not skim and forget, or fail to read it altogether. He struggles with writing, so telling him to take abundant notes isn't going to be a popular option. I just don't know what to do though... I can't read stuff out loud to him for the rest of his life, and even then he's been getting more and more spacey where it'll turn out he's just been daydreaming when I ask him a question (but at least more comes across then when I assign him stuff to read).

So, I don't know... the attention-issues, the sounding-things-out-avoidance combined with reading superfast and forgetting, and the struggles with writing just make me  :willy_nilly:. Most texts don't come with comprehension questions, for every little thing, so while he does great when given a list of questions like that (and he will look back at the text to find the answer), I just don't know... coming up with a zillion questions per page would take a lot of my time. Or maybe I should assign more outlining and summarizing even though he struggles with writing (his writing isn't as bad as it used to be). And I don't want to let him just narrate texts back to me because he'll just say he doesn't remember, and it just becomes a whole lot of conflict and time-consuming. Basically, I think he often just zones out while reading and doesn't notice he should stop and go back and reread what he didn't absorb unless there's a question about it. 

Probably should have him write more summaries and outlines and similar things. 

I am here to attest to a writing miracle. Dd has written an essay. An actual essay. With a thesis and everything. There have been some doozy of tantrums in the past - at one time even when I would ask her to write one stupid measly sentence. And not only has she written the essay, but she is rewriting it and is taking my critique in stride. :svengo:Butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

I am so happy for you, but I am not going to butter your butt. Edited by ikslo
  • Like 5

Last time I checked we're in an area marked 'red' on the map, as in, poor viewing. Which is unfortunate, since we have a lake to the west, so, the view shouldn't be obstructed by buildings/mountains/etc. I'll check again before bedtime to see what the forecast is. On the bright side, an excuse to not get up super duper early is good too.

Edpo!

:banghead: What do you do with a 5th grader or entering 6th grader or w/e who can read (does an above grade level job on non-fiction reading comprehension tests), but who reads super quickly, often seems to just not read stuff at all when you ask him to, and if you ask him questions about it often can't answer because he "doesn't remember"? I suspect some mild dyslexia - he mostly just has a ton of sight words memorized (easy because of ASD?), and while he *can* sound words out, it's a struggle, and he very, very, very much prefers not to. But either way, I have mostly been reading things out loud to him and the other kid, other than just books they read for fun and the occasional reading comprehension stuff with multiple choice questions etc, but he's really getting to a point where if I tell him to read something I need him to read it, not skim and forget, or fail to read it altogether. He struggles with writing, so telling him to take abundant notes isn't going to be a popular option. I just don't know what to do though... I can't read stuff out loud to him for the rest of his life, and even then he's been getting more and more spacey where it'll turn out he's just been daydreaming when I ask him a question (but at least more comes across then when I assign him stuff to read).

So, I don't know... the attention-issues, the sounding-things-out-avoidance combined with reading superfast and forgetting, and the struggles with writing just make me :willy_nilly:. Most texts don't come with comprehension questions, for every little thing, so while he does great when given a list of questions like that (and he will look back at the text to find the answer), I just don't know... coming up with a zillion questions per page would take a lot of my time. Or maybe I should assign more outlining and summarizing even though he struggles with writing (his writing isn't as bad as it used to be). And I don't want to let him just narrate texts back to me because he'll just say he doesn't remember, and it just becomes a whole lot of conflict and time-consuming. Basically, I think he often just zones out while reading and doesn't notice he should stop and go back and reread what he didn't absorb unless there's a question about it.

With DS, who used to do this, too, the only thing that helped was me asking reading comprehension questions every day. Which is time consuming and annoying since I had to read everything beforehand and whatnot, but so worth it. He had to know I was going to quiz him. Asking him to write would have sucked everything out of him and turned him into a puddle of tears. But just talking about it? He could do that! Once he realized it was Every. Single. Day. he started reading more carefully. At first it took him a loooooong time. But I don’t ask him every day anymore and he can still *usually* tell me about his reading. At any rate, the big drama usually only happens now with writing. Oh, the drama! Reading and math seem to have resolved themselves somewhat. Glasses helped, too.

• Like 3

Luuknam, I like the idea of outlining.  It gives some purpose to the reading; it allows him to break it into chunks and stop and ask himself what was the main idea; it gives him a bird's eye view of the flow of logical thought; it probably won't feel as tedious as looking for details needed to answer comprehension questions.  Bonus - you can always ask him to write a summary later based on his own outline if you want.  

• Like 2

Edpo!

:banghead: What do you do with a 5th grader or entering 6th grader or w/e who can read (does an above grade level job on non-fiction reading comprehension tests), but who reads super quickly, often seems to just not read stuff at all when you ask him to, and if you ask him questions about it often can't answer because he "doesn't remember"? I suspect some mild dyslexia - he mostly just has a ton of sight words memorized (easy because of ASD?), and while he *can* sound words out, it's a struggle, and he very, very, very much prefers not to. But either way, I have mostly been reading things out loud to him and the other kid, other than just books they read for fun and the occasional reading comprehension stuff with multiple choice questions etc, but he's really getting to a point where if I tell him to read something I need him to read it, not skim and forget, or fail to read it altogether. He struggles with writing, so telling him to take abundant notes isn't going to be a popular option. I just don't know what to do though... I can't read stuff out loud to him for the rest of his life, and even then he's been getting more and more spacey where it'll turn out he's just been daydreaming when I ask him a question (but at least more comes across then when I assign him stuff to read).

So, I don't know... the attention-issues, the sounding-things-out-avoidance combined with reading superfast and forgetting, and the struggles with writing just make me  :willy_nilly:. Most texts don't come with comprehension questions, for every little thing, so while he does great when given a list of questions like that (and he will look back at the text to find the answer), I just don't know... coming up with a zillion questions per page would take a lot of my time. Or maybe I should assign more outlining and summarizing even though he struggles with writing (his writing isn't as bad as it used to be). And I don't want to let him just narrate texts back to me because he'll just say he doesn't remember, and it just becomes a whole lot of conflict and time-consuming. Basically, I think he often just zones out while reading and doesn't notice he should stop and go back and reread what he didn't absorb unless there's a question about it. 

But if there's no question on the test and he can do it when he has to what is the problem?

He just processes data differently. Probably his brain is looking for the big themes and he's absorbing the ideas somewhat non-verbally almost... like pictures in his mind. I think that is very normal for a boy between 10 and 13. There's a reason that's the biggest segment of the moviegoing public and there is a reason that movies aimed at them are almost nonverbal.

I would say, if he is reading and enjoying it, and if he can complete texts at grade level, let it go.

Half the stuff I read, I skim and look for bullet points. It actually is a huge plus in a work environment.

• Like 1

Okay you guys, I had an absolutely bizarre experience. I was taking a midday nap because I'm working from home while DD2 is sick.

And half awake, while listening to my alarm go off, I had this sensation of feeling light. My heart was just light, in a very pleasant way. And my brain felt sunny. It wasn't euphoria, nothing that energetic. Just calm but not dark or sleepy or foggy. 

Then it went away. Like the door shut. :( And now I feel like I normally do, which is hard to describe... it's just normal, but compared to how I felt then it is heavy, foggy, and a tight heart.

Why does the lightness happen? How can I make it happen more often?

• Like 1