Menu

Ignore this thread!

Though I'd rather have an electron microscope than a 4 day cruise

Let me rephrase that... I'd rather have an electron microscope than a 4 day cruise I'd have to travel to from Boston to Florida (and then back), in July. I'm not sure how I'd feel if I didn't have to travel to get to the cruise, and it might also depend on where the cruise went. I hear some cruises are pretty amazing (watching whales and looking at ice and stuff in the Arctic or w/e). It might also depend on my mood. Right now I don't want to go anywhere, what with just having done a 1500 mile road trip.  :svengo:

• Like 2

Now I want a telescope. At least before 2024. I can totally justify that as a homeschooling expense, yes?

(the main issue is that I don't know how much money to spend on one - but I figure that my kids are kind of young still for that anyway, so someone (they, I, DW, whomever) can figure that out in a few years or something - when I took an astronomy class in college, the prof had just bought a $10k (iirc) telescope, which he said was a lot more awesome than cheaper ones, and it was awesome, but, unless we magically become rich, is really not in our budget) 

We did buy ours for homeschooling purposes.  DH did some homework, and the one we have now is a Celestron Nexstar 8SE.  DH got it on sale somewhere but it was still a few hundred $$.  It's a good one.

We also had a couple of cheaper telescopes (the two were identical models) for a spell so more than one person could gaze at a time.  When we were done with them and determined we didn't need to keep more than one telescope DH gave them to his two brothers for their kids.

DH did all of the shopping for the telescopes.  He had a telescope when he was younger (teens/college), but it was damaged in a move.  He had been wanting a decent one again, and the homeschooling astronomy was a good excuse.  

We will keep this one a while yet, but I'm going to insist on a good solar filter before I allow it to be pointed at the sun again.  I'm still worried we might have damaged it, and I'm not sure the damage can be repaired.

• Like 1

I've thought about a telescope, but it wouldn't be worth it for me. Not enough good nights, and not enough open space. Everywhere you look there's a tree in the way. :001_smile:

We have a lot of light pollution where we are, and are hemmed in by houses and trees.  We can see some stuff, especially in the middle of the sky if the stuff is bright, but our best star-gazing with telescopes was out at Lowry Ruin's parking lot in SE Colorado.  MIL & FIL's house gets less light pollution, and has a lot more trees.

These considerations have us thinking where to go for the lunar eclipse January 31, 2018.  We need somewhere we can see the western horizon, since the eclipse is in the morning, just before the moon sets.

• Like 1

I'm craving chocolate chips right now. Desperately craving. But I've done well on my low-carb thing... Lost a couple of pounds in the last couple of weeks, so I don't want to cave now.

Drink some more water?

Cut it into shorter segments and build a bed base out of it. Yes, you can have shelves of books under your bed! No such thing as no room for books!

Surely there's a door somewhere that you don't actually need. Unneeded doors are more wall. Simply remove the doorknob, if necessary, and place your bookcase there.

Need a room divider? Line up some bookcases. You can line them up back-to-back to have shelves on both sides, or you can line them up single-file and use the backs as more wall. This latter option can create another spot for more whiteboard!

You-can-live-in-a-book-warren-too Booyah!

:wub:

We did buy ours for homeschooling purposes.  DH did some homework, and the one we have now is a Celestron Nexstar 8SE.  DH got it on sale somewhere but it was still a few hundred $$.  It's a good one.

Argh!

It's 81* and 44% humidity. Everyone go outside!

68F 62% here.

• Like 3

Do we have an update on the tater tot?

I'm on my period and the off my medication. Everyone is steering clear including the baby. My house is very clean.

:ohmy:   I'M GOING TO SUSAN'S HOUSE!  OKAYLOVEYOUBYEBYE!

How are you?

It's raining cats and dogs!!

Don't adopt any.
  • Like 5

My personality says artistically messy, but my body interprets that as homeless meth addict.

You should have seen my hair at its best possum gray. 

My stylist does a good job. I usually give her a little extra because I know what she has to work with.

• Like 3

I was at Target buying undergarments for children and decided to purchase the Famous Pajama Pants. And they didn't have any in my size! If only I were a size 2! Oh, the tragedy!

A tragic booyah!

This is the thread that never ends!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

AMJ-- it looks like the storm is strengthening, and Corpus may get 10" of rain. It's going to hit somewhere on the coast.

I picked up groceries because anything over 4" of rain means the road in front of HEB goes underwater.

I will be hitting the grocery store tomorrow.  Our cars are already mostly full (in the tank), so a bit of groceries and some cash will be all that is required.  Hmm, I guess I'd best check our battery supply, too.

It looks like the Corpus area will be hit harder than our area, though we will be on the west side of things.  This morning's weather report predicted an abrupt right turn over land--if that happens we might get a lot more rain.  DH is expecting the storm to not follow any predictions and be largely a non-entity for us.  I'll prepare anyway, because it's the ones people didn't prepare for that ended up causing the most amount of trouble.  

My first year on my old job our area got hit with TS Frances, and that shook a lot of people's complacency for a spell.  I was trapped on a bus for 5 hours, caught between two areas of rising water.  At least my bus was a commuter motor coach, so we had a restroom.  We had people on a Metro bus (also trapped with our bus) coming over to use the facilities.

• Like 1

Do we have an update on the tater tot?

I'm on my period and the off my medication. Everyone is steering clear including the baby. My house is very clean.

How are you?

Don't adopt any.

I am on the mend.  We will see if tomorrow's activity causes any backsliding.  Shouldn't be much, if any.

• Like 2

Well, now I know who to come to to design a house remodel! ðŸ˜

I'm still working out ways to build in MORE bookcases and shelves into my floor plan.  Some books have been giving me ideas.   :D

• Like 2

I'm going to start a series: "What to Expect When You're 47". That's the highest I can go so far.

According to my Dad (when he was age 60) "middle age" starts about age 50, ends about age 70, and is really all just a state of mind, anyway.

Woohoo!  Time to party in our Birkenstocks!

• Like 3

I was at Target buying undergarments for children and decided to purchase the Famous Pajama Pants. And they didn't have any in my size! If only I were a size 2! Oh, the tragedy!

A tragic booyah!

This is the thread that never ends!

:ohmy:   They obviously need to restock!  How could management let their selection get so picked over?   :toetap05:

• Like 1

One of Matt's shirts: Today's Friday, right?

He's releasing a whole line of

I love my

COUNTRY

but I'm proud of my

HERITAGE

with "country" being an American flag and "heritage" being another flag. German was first of course but he's making tons.

• Like 4

Back to back bookcases only work if you don't have feral children. The cases are unstable if knocked into or climbed on (we aren't sure what happened, but it was a scary moment in my early parenting years).

I reposted an article the other day about giving birth to feral children. Or something like that. lol

• Like 4

Hi. Day 3 is camp was another good one. I gained another boy. I always gain at least one middle school kid during camp week who was promoted to the teen class too early. Ds helped me in both of my classes today. He was very felpful.

Snap circuits were a hit. So were making and decorating "promise booklets". Actually I haven't had any dud projects so far this year.

I had one exciting thing happen. I'm the mild mannered teacher who turns into the Incredible Hulk when any of the kids are at risk. Some workers from the campgrounds came barreling by our cabins at high speed. Our kids were in groups and weren't by the road but it was dangerous. So I told the driver that. This big burly irate guy came barreling out if the truck to get in my face. I stood my ground despite him yelling at me.

Later our camp director talked to the campground owner to tell him what happened. About an hour after that this big burly guy came back. I thought "uh oh. He's come to finish me off. ". But he came to apologize to me (and according to him, not just because the camp owner told him to).

These workers are all ex-cons who are being given a second chance. I told him that it took a real man to apologize and we shook hands on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Good morning. Caffeine. :zombie:

Another big day of editing planned. I need to finish the scene I stopped at last night. Then on to the last two chapters, and done for a while. I hope. Doesn't mean I'm done with the story, just with that revision. 

• Like 3

Good morning!

Stupid cricket practiced into the early morning hours. 😠

Jean is an Elephant Ninja Extraordinaire!

Have to drop dh off at work and then dd14 to tutorial and then home to see if anyone has done any lessons. Ds22 is still here. He's been "almost done" packing up for a while now. :D He has to get moving and get back to the university so he can take a CLEP test today.

I have an itchy bug bite on my pinkie toe. Poor me. :D

Coffee!

• Like 4

Back to back bookcases only work if you don't have feral children. The cases are unstable if knocked into or climbed on (we aren't sure what happened, but it was a scary moment in my early parenting years).

That's when you start screwing them together and bolting them to the floor.  Basically design the living spaces as rubber rooms with everything bolted in place.  You might also need doors or security gates that can be securely locked in place, so the books don't become missiles.

• Like 2

As soon as DD16 is out of the shower and dressed I will head for the grocery store.  Her appointment isn't until this afternoon, and I'd rather get the shopping done sooner rather than later.

For our area it really is quite uncertain how much we will get.  It could go west and we get hardly anything.  It could come east, very slowly or stalling out over us, and we get flooding of biblical proportions.  The media are having a hay-day with all of the possibilities.  They do like to work themselves up over stuff -- drama is entertaining.  In the meantime there have been local happenings that have barely even been mentioned on the news, due to all of the very repetitive coverage they are giving Harvey.

The girls are both dressed.  Time for groceries.

• Like 4