Menu

Ignore this thread!

No let-down with the eclipse here. We weren't all that excited about it, but the shadows were really cool. DH informs me that we are in the totality district for the one seven years from now? So I guess I'll keep our pinhole viewers.

Second cup of tea and editing this morning. I ought to do Latin and Math sometime today, too.

Roadtrip!   :hurray:

• Like 1

We will likely be visiting one BIL's house or another in 7 years' time.  Both of their houses will be in the path of totality.

Hmm, that will be on a Monday, too.  Perhaps we should instead go visit Critter instead, since what cousins would be around will be in school that day.  

I especially like this graphic:  https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/future/

Wow. They do their best to miss New Mexico, don't they?

• Like 1

So, I've organized the Annual Book and Curriculum Swap this year. I did it so I can get rid of stuff. Realistically, I've also picked up boxes of stuff from a lady who owns her own school.  :svengo: I've stuffed most of it in my nondrivable blue car. I still need to go through my own stuff. Which means there will be a bigger mess before things start looking better here. I need more boxes. I think. Ergh. I did take a burden off my own shoulders however, by telling folks they'll need to pick up anything left after it's over since I probably won't have room in my car to carry it all to be donated. That's something, right?

Well, off to work.

• Like 5

Another chapter and 800 words cut. I think I'll go clean something, then make some decaf tea, then get at it again. I set myself the goal of being done with this main edit for the fourth draft by Thursday. Just to prove it could be done. I'm actually kind of surprised that I'm going to make it. 

• Like 6

We have some type of melon growing in two pots with the volunteer apricot and peach trees. We're not quite sure what they are, but they are melon-like. Once we pick the fruit and the plants die, the trees can have the pots to themselves again.

• Like 2

Well take it easy or we'll ground you!

Being a massive slug today paid off.  My arm was improved enough to handle driving DD13 to Aikido, allowing DH to work on a birthday present for his brother.

I plan another slug day tomorrow, after which I will reassess.  My arm still feels much better than it has in days now.

Time for late supper before bed.  And catching up here.

• Like 4

Final piece of the puzzle is in place. Biopsy was positive for celiac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:hurray:  :hurray:   Hooray for diagnosis and something that can be done about it!

• Like 1

We got back home about 2:30 and scrambled around a bit and left 45 minutes later to bring the kids to music lessons. Dh got Chinese (food!) for dinner - ds22's request since it's his last night home before going back to his apartment/univeristy to start his senior year. (How is that possible - a senior in college?) Then we watched Singing in the Rain and ate popcorn.

I don't want to do tomorrow!

• Like 5

I wish foggy meant we'd get snow here.  I'd love snow here.

We don't get much fog. We do get much snow.

fell in love with a house. It's quite a bit older than ours, but I don't know.... For some reason I just loved it. It's only a few blocks away (our town is smallish, so houses not too far away from each other can be 50 years apart in age) and it looks like it's been fairly well taken care of.

My 2 cents... make sure that it was built by people who understood what a 90 degree angle is, and what standardized door widths etc are. It's not really fun to deal with a house that amazingly has zero square corners, and zero standardized sizes for anything. The house we once owned that was like that was built in 1905, I think, though obviously plenty of houses from back then *were* built by people who knew what 90 degree angles are (and no, it was not just that stuff shifted - it was quite obvious (after we'd bought it and were busy fixing it up) that it was built wrong to begin with). 

• Like 3

Tuesday is done. A fun full day. Remind me that I promised two little boys $2.50 each for candy.

Tonight we made slime. Oh my goodness! They absolutely LOVED it! I was dying laughing at the little boy's counselor who was getting very worried about how sticky it was and how relieved he was when it finally came together.

I had one little girl bawling from a tummy ache who was miraculously cured while making slime.... I had my suspicions that slime might make it better...

• Like 10

Are you buying candy off children?

I do that sometimes, from ds.  He keeps a stash and earns a pretty penny off me when I am PMS-ing.   :leaving:

We just got done watching Ekaterina II off of Amazon Prime.  It's a lot like the PBS series Victoria, fwiw, in terms of focus on clothing, sets, drama.  It's in Russian, but the subtitles are decent.

ETA: Catherine the Great Booyah....

If you were to give yourself a superlative title, what would it be?

Edited by kbeal
  • Like 6

I do that sometimes, from ds. He keeps a stash and earns a pretty penny off me when I am PMS-ing. :leaving:

We just got done watching Ekaterina II off of Amazon Prime. It's a lot like the PBS series Victoria, fwiw, in terms of focus on clothing, sets, drama. It's in Russian, but the subtitles are decent.

I'm giving candy to children. I'm not a counselor so I don't have to deal with the aftermath. The counselors might call me Jean the Evil. ...,

• Like 4

Good morning!  I slept in until 6:30.   :D

Jean, so thankful that you received the results you expected on the biopsy, and that this part of the process is over.  Hoping this improves all her symptoms!!

Hmmmm.....  my very own superlative title.  I'll be pondering that all day, lol.  Maybe I'll throw that question out to the kids at morning time.   :D

• Like 4

Tuesday is done. A fun full day. Remind me that I promised two little boys $2.50 each for candy.

Tonight we made slime. Oh my goodness! They absolutely LOVED it! I was dying laughing at the little boy's counselor who was getting very worried about how sticky it was and how relieved he was when it finally came together.

I had one little girl bawling from a tummy ache who was miraculously cured while making slime.... I had my suspicions that slime might make it better...

Remember the candy money!

• Like 4

I do that sometimes, from ds.  He keeps a stash and earns a pretty penny off me when I am PMS-ing.   :leaving:

We just got done watching Ekaterina II off of Amazon Prime.  It's a lot like the PBS series Victoria, fwiw, in terms of focus on clothing, sets, drama.  It's in Russian, but the subtitles are decent.

She who must be obeyed.

• Like 5

My arm is much improved today.  The ache near the shoulder is almost entirely gone, just a residual bit of ache left under certain movements, as if I had lifted something heavy a day or two ago.  However, this morning I did note that my forearm has that old tendinitis-threatening feeling, as if I had overused my arm at my old job, and DH mentioned that my wrist looked a bit swollen.  I will have another minimal usage day today, and then likely call it good.  I must start doing stuff tomorrow, because weather is threatening this weekend.

Tomorrow DD16 has her follow-up with her oral surgeon.  She seems to be healing well, so I don't expect much beyond confirmation of that.  A 6-foot rabbit might come visit our area this weekend for 3-4 days, bringing a water hose with no shut-off (tropical storm or depression Harvey)--this starts Friday, so tomorrow after DD's appointment I will visit the grocery store for whatever we might want over the weekend.

I have also asked DH to trim around the driveway drain (drain at the edge of our driveway, placed there to drain the lake that forms across the driveway and our front walk) this evening, but I will still have to wander out in water shoes periodically during the stormy days to clear debris from the drain's grate.  

I asked for a storm, and now we are going to get one.  It is thinking about taking a right turn once it gets over land, to linger in our area a while longer.  Things should get interesting.  If I disappear entirely over the weekend it is likely due to power outages.  Our neighborhood and house stay above water when things start to flood, though surrounding areas usually get flooded streets, making it harder to get out and about and harder for the power line crews to get where they need to get.

Here's hoping everyone has a good day, we get the cooling from the storm but no where near the flooding everyone is anticipating, and all goes well all around.

• Like 4

I think one of the neatest things about the eclipse was the reaction of the people. There was this genuine childlike excitement when we saw the "shadow" move on the horizon and people were shouting "Here it comes! Can you see it? Here it comes!" And then oohs and ahhs and cheering and gasps of amazement at totality. 2 1/2 minutes of awe.

• Like 8

So the surgery went well and the surgeon said her tonsils were really bad and had probably had an ongoing low-level infection, so I'm very glad we did it. Unfortunately the tater tot is pretty miserable. Anesthesia doesn't bother me so I seriously underestimated -- it really hit her stomach hard. She slept in my bed last night and I got about four hours of sleep bc she was tossing and turning and moaning, poor thing. Thankfully she is drinking well and staying hydrated. Dh decided to stay home today.

So glad it went well and those things are outta there!  Hope she rests well today!   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

So the surgery went well and the surgeon said her tonsils were really bad and had probably had an ongoing low-level infection, so I'm very glad we did it. Unfortunately the tater tot is pretty miserable. Anesthesia doesn't bother me so I seriously underestimated -- it really hit her stomach hard. She slept in my bed last night and I got about four hours of sleep bc she was tossing and turning and moaning, poor thing. Thankfully she is drinking well and staying hydrated. Dh decided to stay home today.

(((Spudz and Tater Tot))) Glad you will have some extra help! Maybe you can get a little rest later?

• Like 1