Menu

Ignore this thread!

Oops.

That prevent you from getting migraines and being nauseated. Also, drink TONS of water first.

:D

I nearly did too.

Interesting. Thanks for the thought.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

DH's brother and family are taking oldest child to college this week in Pensacola. I was teasing them Sunday night about hurricanes and everyone was saying, "oh no, they usually go up the Atlantic seaboard...." and now here's a Gulf coast hurricane. I haven't seen that they will be affected that far east, but I do find it a bit humorous. Or ironic.

• Like 3

AMJ, that is a horrifying story. I am so sorry everyone thought you were faking it. What's the matter with people?? I am so glad that, in spite of what he thought, that rotten boy pulled you in.

In his defense he was 19, and rather tired of how many girls WOULD throw themselves at him.  With both the age and the experience it wasn't that surprising that he assumed something other than what was right in front of him, especially with everyone thinking that drowning is dramatic.  Even with his assumption he did give some assistance, though he then sought to step away from the seemingly embarrassing situation immediately afterwards.  My tent-mate also told me that he had a rather shocked look on his face when our grad student explained to the group that the situation had been real.  Mostly everyone was either uncertain about the reality (suspecting our grad student fell for my "ploy") or they were uncertain how to behave about it afterwards.  That boy was one of the people I talked to later, when we were back at school.  Turns out he's rather nice when not faced with someone oozing all over him.

• Like 2

Remember that SELF Journal thingy I shared a few weeks/months ago? I'm starting that Monday. The journal itself is beautiful but I'm printing the download because free. $32 is just a lot of money for 13 weeks, especially since I'm going to make Matt do it with me. #bossyboots

My 3 goals will be:

1. Become a better teacher.

2. Become a better student.

3. Become a better athlete.

• Like 2

DH's brother and family are taking oldest child to college this week in Pensacola. I was teasing them Sunday night about hurricanes and everyone was saying, "oh no, they usually go up the Atlantic seaboard...." and now here's a Gulf coast hurricane. I haven't seen that they will be affected that far east, but I do find it a bit humorous. Or ironic.

Hurricane Ivan was only 13 years ago, and TS Cindy was just this last June.  Pensacola isn't that immune.

I haven't ever almost drowned, except in dreams, but I did save a little boy from drowning in a pool once. It was weird because it was the shallow end and I just lifted him up but then I couldn't get my footing and was basically trying to swim and keep the kid's head above water. Fortunately the dad grabbed him from outside the pool quickly, but it was probably the most awkwardly executed water rescue ever. I am not a professional.

• Like 3

Remember that SELF Journal thingy I shared a few weeks/months ago? I'm starting that Monday. The journal itself is beautiful but I'm printing the download because free. $32 is just a lot of money for 13 weeks, especially since I'm going to make Matt do it with me. #bossyboots

My 3 goals will be:

1. Become a better teacher.

2. Become a better student.

3. Become a better athlete.

Thank you for the link.  It looks interesting.  I'm printing out the first 34 pages of the PDF (double-sided printing) so I can read further and see how this works.

I have found that while there are a lot of books that offer "self-help" on so many different topics, and while I never seem to use ANY "fully" or in just the way they say, I nonetheless usually do come away with something helpful.  Sometimes it's a new approach or way of looking at things, and at other times it's something I already "knew", but needed it stated.  It will be interesting to see what this one has to offer.

I haven't ever almost drowned, except in dreams, but I did save a little boy from drowning in a pool once. It was weird because it was the shallow end and I just lifted him up but then I couldn't get my footing and was basically trying to swim and keep the kid's head above water. Fortunately the dad grabbed him from outside the pool quickly, but it was probably the most awkwardly executed water rescue ever. I am not a professional.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:   Hooray for you!  You both lived = graceful enough.

• Like 2

And if anyone can think of another word for athlete that doesn't make me sound like a pretentious female dog that would be nice.

I tried googling "athlete synonym", and one site that claimed to have over 100 of these included "clown".   :sneaky2:

• Like 2

And if anyone can think of another word for athlete that doesn't make me sound like a pretentious female dog that would be nice.

Fettler?

Thank you for the link.  It looks interesting.  I'm printing out the first 34 pages of the PDF (double-sided printing) so I can read further and see how this works.

I have found that while there are a lot of books that offer "self-help" on so many different topics, and while I never seem to use ANY "fully" or in just the way they say, I nonetheless usually do come away with something helpful.  Sometimes it's a new approach or way of looking at things, and at other times it's something I already "knew", but needed it stated.  It will be interesting to see what this one has to offer.

I have the whole thing. I think I had to give them my email.

You are an athlete, Slashie, and it is not pretentious to say so.

I am a squishy athlete.

• Like 1

Fettler?

I have the whole thing. I think I had to give them my email.

I am a squishy athlete.

Yeah, I had to give them my email, too, to get to the PDF.  I didn't want to print it all yet, however, so I just printed 34 pages, enough for all of the explanatory stuff, the beginning stuff, and 7 or 8 days of the daily pages.

Fettler -- you are going to repair railroads?

Athletes DO.  It doesn't matter what shape they are in; it's what they DO.

• Like 2

I tried googling "athlete synonym", and one site that claimed to have over 100 of these included "clown".   :sneaky2:

Also, have you been to a rodeo? Being a clown is incredibly difficult. Our friends had a fire truck from like the 50s so we used to be *in* the rodeo. I've also done the greasy pig thing.

• Like 1

Seeing how dd14 made such nice characters for our Shakespeare stick-figures, I asked her to make a birthday card for Grandpa, whose birthday is tomorrow. She came up with a rather psychedelic scene of clowns dressed as birds with a Halloween-looking vampire cat also dressed as a bird and one rather nice human-sized bluejay. They are all gathered around an English cottage doing "bird tricks". I am hesitant to send it without some explanation. Happy birthday, grandpa? :D

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

Also, have you been to a rodeo? Being a clown is incredibly difficult. Our friends had a fire truck from like the 50s so we used to be *in* the rodeo. I've also done the greasy pig thing.

This is very true.  Even circus clowns and birthday clowns have tough jobs.  They are very much athletes.  

• Like 1

Seeing how dd14 made such nice characters for our Shakespeare stick-figures, I asked her to make a birthday card for Grandpa, whose birthday is tomorrow. She came up with a rather psychedelic scene of clowns dressed as birds with a Halloween-looking vampire cat also dressed as a bird and one rather nice human-sized bluejay. They are all gathered around an English cottage doing "bird tricks". I am hesitant to send it without some explanation. Happy birthday, grandpa? :D

Definitely send it!  That sounds priceless!

:hurray: My story's rejections (so it appears) came down to word length first and foremost. Minor confusion with my main character--and since his very name means "confusion", I think I'm going to be okay with that. I'm looking for "intrigued" rather than confused, however, so I'll have to think about that a bit.

But hey! I've got a theme song for word cutting, and by crickets, I can cut those words!

I was encouraged to cut ruthlessly and query. :001_smile:

See, I told you--rejection isn't all bad.

• Like 6

:hurray: My story's rejections (so it appears) came down to word length first and foremost. Minor confusion with my main character--and since his very name means "confusion", I think I'm going to be okay with that. I'm looking for "intrigued" rather than confused, however, so I'll have to think about that a bit.

But hey! I've got a theme song for word cutting, and by crickets, I can cut those words!

I'm so glad you were able to get some solid feedback! Not that the ITT would consider it accurate, but constructive at least. :)

• Like 3

:hurray: My story's rejections (so it appears) came down to word length first and foremost. Minor confusion with my main character--and since his very name means "confusion", I think I'm going to be okay with that. I'm looking for "intrigued" rather than confused, however, so I'll have to think about that a bit.

Post #111111

• Like 2

I did all the things. 😋

Now, I COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

I think Susan may have brought this up before, but I will bring it up again since we read this today. J.S. Bach wrote a whole..... something or other... about COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ I always knew he was my favorite composer. Or one of them, at least.

• Like 5

I did all the things. 😋

Now, I COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

I think Susan may have brought this up before, but I will bring it up again since we read this today. J.S. Bach wrote a whole..... something or other... about COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ I always knew he was my favorite composer. Or one of them, at least.

:D Schweigt Stille, Plaudert Nicht! BWV 211

• Like 3

I am tired. The kind of tired that makes me think I'm coming down with something. My head and throat are inclined to agree. :sleep:

Something mild has been going around in our house - scratchy throat, low fever, general feeling of cruddiness. Lasts maybe a day or two. Get plenty of rest!

• Like 1