Menu

Ignore this thread!

Yes, it's a project car. And yes, he has good priorities. And unfortunately, yes part of the gear shift lever was duct taped together. He doesn't plan to really drive it for 5 months while he works on it.

Alrighty then.  The first crisis of getting the car home is over.  Time for the work!  Will his college buddy be over helping?  I foresee hungry mechanics....  *closes eyes and puts fingertips to head mystically*

How are you today, after yesterday's adventure?

• Like 1

Hypothetically (ahem), if your daughter had to tell you that your granddaughter had minor permanent hearing loss, would you want to be told as soon as possible (over the phone) or a month later (in person).

I think that in person might be better because then she could see that her granddaughter really is ok.

Generally yes, in person is better.  Not only so she can see granddaughter really is okay, but also to more easily discuss and understand how this will affect communications.

If, however, the granddaughter talks to Grandma a lot on the phone and the hearing loss affects this a mention sooner by phone might be needed, just to help manage expectations.

What caused the hearing loss?  Just curious, as someone who also has some....

• Like 2

Hypothetically (ahem), if your daughter had to tell you that your granddaughter had minor permanent hearing loss, would you want to be told as soon as possible (over the phone) or a month later (in person).

I think that in person might be better because then she could see that her granddaughter really is ok.

I would tell my mom over the phone. In my head, if it's really nothing to fret over there's no reason to wait. Waiting would make it seem like a bigger deal. But I've been told that I'm socially inept, so my logic might not be sound.
  • Like 3

Baked bacon is best because you don't have to scrub a skillet. A lined baking tray is easier to deal with. I cheat and sometimes cook bacon AND breakfast sausage in the oven on the same tray. Seems to work pretty well.

I'm slowly waking up. My housekeeping is done for the day. Another critique got dropped in my inbox this morning (for me to do, not for my story). I don't think I am going to get to it. Got too much of my own writing to do today. School is trundling along at the usual rate.

• Like 2

Generally yes, in person is better.  Not only so she can see granddaughter really is okay, but also to more easily discuss and understand how this will affect communications.

If, however, the granddaughter talks to Grandma a lot on the phone and the hearing loss affects this a mention sooner by phone might be needed, just to help manage expectations.

What caused the hearing loss?  Just curious, as someone who also has some....

My kids all hate talking on the telephone.  They always have for some reason, so Grandma would not be talking to her on the phone.

The hearing loss is related to dd6's genetic birth defect (Noonan Syndrome).  Dd8 was also tested, but her hearing was normal.

I would tell my mom over the phone. In my head, if it's really nothing to fret over there's no reason to wait. Waiting would make it seem like a bigger deal. But I've been told that I'm socially inept, so my logic might not be sound.

I agree with Lana.

My mom is a huge worrier.  She will worry even if it isn't a big deal.

• Like 1

Junie--I've not had much luck giving bad medical news to family....even on minor stuff. Do what you need to do.  I'd probably wait to see Grandma, and have it be an odd aside in a conversation about a lot of other stuff.  Yeah, we went to the doctor for the usual checkups--said dd had some hearing loss so we'll get her fit for aids, but x, y, and z all looked good.

It's all how you couch the news, ime.

• Like 3

Ah, here it is.  The post I dreamed about replying to.

This is really good advice.  Thank you.  I like the idea of one historical event per quarter or semester, in depth.  I like your other suggestions too.   :001_tt1:

But, but...you can't accept her advice!  She hasn't been homeschooling for 5 years or more.  She doesn't know what she is doing!

/end sarcasm

• Like 5

Alrighty then.  The first crisis of getting the car home is over.  Time for the work!  Will his college buddy be over helping?  I foresee hungry mechanics....  *closes eyes and puts fingertips to head mystically*

How are you today, after yesterday's adventure?

College buddy is living vicariously through ds since his mom had a tantrum when he wanted something other than the new Honda Civic that she had picked out for him.  So yes, I anticipate him being over here helping. 

I'm not so good.  I went into a flare last night and am still in it.  But dd is urging me to call cardiology about her heart and dh agrees.  I anticipate being told to bring her right in and having my entire day turned topsy turvy.  I'm worried about how to get ds from college and to work in addition to this.  But I suppose I'd better make the call because it's stupid to be avoiding it because of what they might say. 

• Like 1

Good Morning!

Don't forget to make plans to see the 2017 solar eclipse (Monday, August 21) - if you are within a few hours drive, it might be worth it. Buy your special viewing glasses now while they are cheap and available. Slache and Jean and Krissi, you'll have to get up pretty early since it will hit the West Coast first at about 9am.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/xavier_redirect.htm

Will it be on TV?

#doesnotqualifyforpantz

• Like 1

Depends on the grandmother.

My mom - it would be fine via phone or even text.  Commiseration, a few suggestions for hearing aids or technological helps, move on.

My friend's mom?  She'd want to see the medical reports, and then would spend the next 5 years blaming my friend.

• Like 2

And :grouphug: .

• Like 1

Baked bacon is best because you don't have to scrub a skillet. usual rate.

But you don't have to scrub if you clean it while it is still warm (not hot!)...just water and a kitchen brush at first, then go over with soapy water.  Easy.

Now, if it has been left on the burner by another who is wishing you to clean it, and it has already cooled off - it gets soaked until they are ready to clean their pan. :glare:

• Like 5

Baked bacon is best because you don't have to scrub a skillet. A lined baking tray is easier to deal with. I cheat and sometimes cook bacon AND breakfast sausage in the oven on the same tray. Seems to work pretty well.

I'm slowly waking up. My housekeeping is done for the day. Another critique got dropped in my inbox this morning (for me to do, not for my story). I don't think I am going to get to it. Got too much of my own writing to do today. School is trundling along at the usual rate.

I am starting to get the impression that they ask for you to critique stuff more than they critique in return.  You must be the group's rock star!

• Like 3

But you don't have to scrub if you clean it while it is still warm (not hot!)...just water and a kitchen brush at first, then go over with soapy water.  Easy.

It's the waiting to cool that bothers me. I use cast iron, and that takes forever to cool down. And in the meantime somebody will probably burn themselves on it. So then I have to pour off grease, deal with the stuck on stuff in the pan by deglazing with water on the burner, then cool the pan in the sink, try to wash it without burning myself, etc.

It's simpler to deal with the oven pan. Take out of oven. Eat bacon. Pan will be cool, grease on the foil. Wad up foil, throw in trash. Pan might or might not need cleaning.

• Like 2

College buddy is living vicariously through ds since his mom had a tantrum when he wanted something other than the new Honda Civic that she had picked out for him.  So yes, I anticipate him being over here helping. 

I'm not so good.  I went into a flare last night and am still in it.  But dd is urging me to call cardiology about her heart and dh agrees.  I anticipate being told to bring her right in and having my entire day turned topsy turvy.  I'm worried about how to get ds from college and to work in addition to this.  But I suppose I'd better make the call because it's stupid to be avoiding it because of what they might say. 

:grouphug:

Hugs to your whole family.  I'm glad you're calling.

• Like 1

My kids all hate talking on the telephone.  They always have for some reason, so Grandma would not be talking to her on the phone.

The hearing loss is related to dd6's genetic birth defect (Noonan Syndrome).  Dd8 was also tested, but her hearing was normal.

So communications with Grandma between now and when you see her in person will not be overly affected.  You have leeway, then, and can decide when and how the conversation best works for you.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  for the Noonan's and everything involved.  I think you did mention this before.  Is her hearing likely to continue to deteriorate, or might it stabilize?

So communications with Grandma between now and when you see her in person will not be overly affected.  You have leeway, then, and can decide when and how the conversation best works for you.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  for the Noonan's and everything involved.  I think you did mention this before.  Is her hearing likely to continue to deteriorate, or might it stabilize?

We don't know if the hearing loss will get worse or how quickly.  We have another appointment in a few months so that we can see what is happening.

• Like 1

I am starting to get the impression that they ask for you to critique stuff more than they critique in return.  You must be the group's rock star!

I agree except with the rock star analysis. :glare: I end up doing a lot more critiques because I typically jump on the stories the day I get them. My turn around time is good. But I get nettled when a story gets sent to me Monday morning. I won't do it. I'll hold it for the upcoming week.

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Would college buddy perhaps be able to help your DS get home today?

I hope the cardiologist has good, calming news.  

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:   I'm sorry about the flare.

• Like 1

We don't know if the hearing loss will get worse or how quickly.  We have another appointment in a few months so that we can see what is happening.

Alrighty then.  Holding pattern between tests to compare and determine.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:   Waiting can be tough.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I agree except with the rock star analysis. :glare: I end up doing a lot more critiques because I typically jump on the stories the day I get them. My turn around time is good. But I get nettled when a story gets sent to me Monday morning. I won't do it. I'll hold it for the upcoming week.

Aha, prompt and responsible!  Yup, you will get a lot more requests if you are going to be reliable.

• Like 1

Aha, prompt and responsible!  Yup, you will get a lot more requests if you are going to be reliable.

Ain't it the truth, though? :laugh: The only good thing is that the person who sent this story has commented on how much he likes my critiques, so I think he will be pleased to wait if I am willing to give it my full attention instead of trying to rush the job. 

• Like 3

Oh, and I was told by the audiologist to schedule an appointment to get my hearing tested, too.   :glare:

It could be helpful.  Hearing loss can sneak up on one.  Back in the 1990s I saw an ENT about my hearing, hoping that he could tell me some way to get rid of the tinnitus.  I was informed that it was due to hereditary hearing loss and only the complete loss of the pitches ringing would cause the ringing to stop.  I stopped trying to wish it away then and finally accepted it.

A bit over a year ago I returned to get checked again -- yup, my hearing had deteriorated somewhat over the years.  They also now use hearing aids to try to help patients with tinnitus -- I have partial success (mostly because I find wearing the aid problematic at times, especially allergy seasons).  The 1-year hearing aid check a month or two back showed that my hearing was exactly the same, no further deterioration detected.  Hearing this is encouraging.

Think of getting your hearing checked as establishing a baseline, if you haven't done one already, something for comparison with future checks.

• Like 2

I opted to make myself a grilled ham and cheese for lunch. Because I wanted one.

I was good and ate the last of the repeatedly reheated leftover pot roast soup for lunch.  Tonight's supper plan is ham on the smoker grill.  Tomorrow's lunch just might be ham and cheese sandwiches toasted in the oven.   :drool:

• Like 2

Yes, it's a project car. And yes, he has good priorities. And unfortunately, yes part of the gear shift lever was duct taped together. He doesn't plan to really drive it for 5 months while he works on it.

My dad grew up poor.  Very, very poor.  As in, lived in a tar-paper shack poor.

His first car was one that he bought from an old lady who lived nearby.  She had a broken down old Chevy which had not run (or been touched) in years stored in a shed on her property.  Daddy bought it for a few dollars and she let him "work on it" in the shed.  He took the entire engine apart and painstakingly mapped out what he had done.  He cleaned all the parts and put it back together.  He had a few extra pieces at the end (oops), but it ran.  He drove it for years, until he had been in the Navy long enough to save up for a fancy new Mustang. :)

• Like 7

I would do it on the phone to emphasize how not a big deal it is; speaking as a person who has made the call for DS who has mild to moderate permanent hearing loss diagnosed about age 12- don't remember exactly when. 

My mom likes to know stuff ASAP too. She'd be annoyed to know I sat on it and it would make her think I was hiding that it was serious or something. DS's loss is of unknown origin; I attribute it to his insane colic and think he probably gave me mild hearing loss from all the screaming too.

• Like 6

A while back, Renai asked me if there was an oat-free granola. Apparently, there is. Quinoa Granola. The recipe is in the Test Kitchen GF Book 2. Instead of oats it uses both quinoa flakes and quinoa, has coconut oil instead of vegetable oil, almonds, flaked coconut, sunflower seeds, maple syrup for the sweetener and dried fruit. I've not tried to make it yet, so I can't say anything about flavor.

• Like 2

What would you do if you were doing 1st grade with Jo now?

Honestly?  Mostly we'd play more.

Math games and language games.  And read together all the time.  Jo is a natural sponge and that's really all she needed.

Unfortunately, I am PITA and I pushed waaaaay harder than I should have when I brought her home.  I was so afraid of failing her that...I failed her.  :sad:

• Like 3

Honestly? Mostly we'd play more.

Math games and language games. And read together all the time. Jo is a natural sponge and that's really all she needed.

Unfortunately, I am PITA and I pushed waaaaay harder than I should have when I brought her home. I was so afraid of failing her that...I failed her. :sad:

I think everyone pushes too hard when they bring them home. It's been so easy for us; if he needs more I add more. Easy. It's just an extension of parenting. But starting in the middle is terrifying to me. You brought her home in 3rd, right? :svengo:

Does anyone have really good construction Spanish? My 400 level classes didn't cover installing drip edge and starter rows of shingles.

I need to say that if the hail punctured the plywood, I need photos. Is this google translate close? Si el granizo pinchó el contrachapado, necesito fotos del daño de granizo. Grammatically it looks close, but I don't know about vocab.

Here, plywood is plywood. Dh had no idea what contrachapado was, but I guess it would depend on a person's region. Anyway, other than that, it made sense. How big was that hail that it would puncture plywood???

I found my shingle manufacturer's website in Spanish....I think I'm getting this figured out.

Sorry, I was at work. And dh wants to give me every.single.detail. of whatever it is you are talking about. Too bad we aren't close, he'd fix it for you. Then you could listen to his perfectionism in explaining construction stuff.

• Like 6