Menu

Ignore this thread!

I waste a lot of time but since I do that when I'm exhausted and/or trying to distract myself from pain, I don't really count it as play. Btw- most of my pain is like having the flu everyday so I'm not writhing or anything. 

I wouldn't call any time you use to take care of yourself as wasted. 

• Like 4

Jean, good luck with the drive. Whatever possessed him to buy a shift he couldn't drive that was located that far away?

I was going to suggest having AAA tow it, but I believe an hour and a half is too far for that.

I'd be making my son find a college buddy to do him the favor. Turn it into a road trip of sorts. Do none of his friends know stick shift either?

• Like 2

Jean, good luck with the drive. Whatever possessed him to buy a shift he couldn't drive that was located that far away?

I was going to suggest having AAA tow it, but I believe an hour and a half is too far for that.

I'd be making my son find a college buddy to do him the favor. Turn it into a road trip of sorts. Do none of his friends know stick shift either?

He's a teenaged college boy.  That is what possessed him.  He wanted a performance car.  Most of them are stick.  Good deals tend to be out in the boonies. 

College buddy is coming with us.  College buddy knows enough stick shift to drive it around the block or so when they test drove it.  Even then he stalled it a couple of times.  I'm pretty sure that driving stick will come back to me quickly - at least it did in the past - but until I'm driving it, I feel anxious about it.

• Like 4

He's a teenaged college boy. That is what possessed him. He wanted a performance car. Most of them are stick. Good deals tend to be out in the boonies.

College buddy is coming with us. College buddy knows enough stick shift to drive it around the block or so when they test drove it. Even then he stalled it a couple of times. I'm pretty sure that driving stick will come back to me quickly - at least it did in the past - but until I'm driving it, I feel anxious about it.

Ah, I see. Jean, you are a good mom. I don't know that I would be so accommodating.

• Like 3

College buddy is going to be driving my car (automatic) back from where we are picking up the new-to-ds car.  Ds can drive my car just fine but he can't drive it without college buddy or me in the car (or some other licensed driver). 

I take a half hour to work out the kinks there where he bought the car, particularly if the brakes might be off. Drive around the block multiple times and feel out the brakes. If they aren't good, I'd say it goes right back to the previous owner and a tow truck can take it to the nearest place that works on brakes in the morning.

• Like 3

Matt's so irritated with Tech Support. "If he's old enough to buy a car he's old enough to get it home without Mommy's help." We'll see how he feels about that in 10 years. :laugh: Did I ever mention that Matt's kids were *never* going to have McDonald's? Hmmm...

• Like 5

I don't drive a stick. DH still mourns not having a stick shift. He secretly thinks he could teach me to drive one without a hitch, but I know better. Praying that all goes well for Jean and for Event Planner at the cardiologist.

In driver's ed our teacher taught us all in automatics, even though manual transmissions were very common, especially our rather rural area.  Dad promptly took me out and re-taught me how to drive, this time in the manual-transmission pickup truck.  I have driven several other stick shift vehicles since, and am quite comfortable with it.

Unfortunately we don't have any stick shift vehicles anywhere in the extended family so I can't also teach my girls how to drive such vehicles as they learn to drive.  This will be something they will have to learn on their own, I guess, or live without the skill (which is very easy to do nowadays).  I am a little sorry they won't have any practice popping the clutch to start the car when the battery is dead -- that was always a somewhat fun and ofttimes impressive trick to pull off for my friends.

• Like 2

Not until late summer when he plans to get his driver's license.  He's saving up money for insurance etc. 

He doesn't have his license yet and he bought a car?  Hmm, I think I would recommend he take his behind-the-wheel exam in an automatic, since that is what he is accustomed to.  He can get his license and continue learning the intricacies of how to drive the car he bought.

Are you saying you mix pancake ingredients in the blender? That's weird.

Grandpa's method.  I'll use the blender sometimes, too, but more often I am just beating it all together in bowls since I already used some in combining dry ingredients together and wet ingredients together.

Matt's so irritated with Tech Support. "If he's old enough to buy a car he's old enough to get it home without Mommy's help." We'll see how he feels about that in 10 years. :laugh: Did I ever mention that Matt's kids were *never* going to have McDonald's? Hmmm...

He's got a learners permit. There is that pesky law that doesn't let him do this without my help.

• Like 1

Unfortunately we don't have any stick shift vehicles anywhere in the extended family so I can't also teach my girls how to drive such vehicles as they learn to drive.  This will be something they will have to learn on their own, I guess, or live without the skill (which is very easy to do nowadays).  I am a little sorry they won't have any practice popping the clutch to start the car when the battery is dead -- that was always a somewhat fun and ofttimes impressive trick to pull off for my friends.

DH reminded me that we have some extended family with stick shifts, so maybe the boys can practice. For now, DH plans to start them on the tractor for that. He agreed with me that Driving 101 should commence as an evening class every day this summer to get the boys comfortable behind the wheel.

I foresee that wig purchase coming a bit earlier than expected. I always said I'd be in the market for a wig when the boys started driving, because all my hair would turn white overnight and then fall out. :laugh:

• Like 1