Menu

Ignore this thread!

I like to read but keeping up in the library books is challenging at times.

I like to take walks/hike but it hurts most of the time.

I like to swim. Ditto.

I like to Zumba. Ditto.

I like to do cardio kickboxing. Double ditto.

I like the idea of gardening but ditto again.

I like to watch tv. But I end up doing too much because I don't have strength and stamina to do other stuff.

I like animals but same as above.

I like playing games. Even that hurts after a bit.

I like collecting stamps. I can't get to my collection.

I dream of having things decluttered enough to find all my stuff at the same time.

I like doing art. Ditto on finding everything. Plus pain.

I like travel but it's complicated. The pain and stamina thing again.

I'm not saying this for sympathy. Just explaining.

At different times I have done all of the above anyway. But I get to a place where I just can't make myself have anymore "fun ".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I like to read but keeping up in the library books is challenging at times.

I like to take walks/hike but it hurts most of the time.

I like to swim. Ditto.

I like to Zumba. Ditto.

I like to do cardio kickboxing. Double ditto.

I like the idea of gardening but ditto again.

I like to watch tv. But I end up doing too much because I don't have strength and stamina to do other stuff.

I like animals but same as above.

I like playing games. Even that hurts after a bit.

I like collecting stamps. I can't get to my collection.

I dream of having things decluttered enough to find all my stuff at the same time.

I like doing art. Ditto on finding everything. Plus pain.

I like travel but it's complicated. The pain and stamina thing again.

I'm not saying this for sympathy. Just explaining.

At different times I have done all of the above anyway. But I get to a place where I just can't make myself have anymore "fun ".

Sorry, Jean. At one time, I had daily migraines for years. Probably still not close to the pain you have. But I do remember how, no matter how much fun something might be, I couldn't. Or not for long, anyway. Sometimes, we would even head out to do something, and have to go back home so I could go to bed. I hated it.

ITA.

• Like 2

When my child wants to play games, I play with her.  Does that count?

I try to read a bit every day.  Mostly non-fiction because my brain was rotting.

Other than that, I do chores.  I figure that I will rediscover fun once I have successfully launched the fledgling from the nest.

Honestly, all this "you can have it all" carp we women are sold makes me nuts.  Life has seasons; this one is work.  But I find there is joy in the occasional hint of a job well done.

Of course, if Critter would hurry up and make us all our squillions, then we could all outsource the chores and kick back on the island.  Oh, BTW, the island has a spring with magical healing waters, so our chronically ill sisters need not worry about keeping up.  :001_smile:

• Like 7

If finances allowed I would have a maid come once a week, eat out once a week and have my groceries delivered.

I totally agree with not having it all. We aren't supposed to. I'm exhausted. 3 children is exhausting. That's life. I agreed to that. Nothing anyone can do will make me not exhausted. My weight loss is slow, my house suffers and my husband frequently cooks because of it. Oh, well. Those areas will improve as my babies grow.

• Like 5

Ds bought a used car today. Now I have to teach him how to drive a stick shift. He had the crazy idea that I would just teach him how to drive it in 10 minutes tomorrow and then he would drive it home. Not happening. In fact I have to refresh my own memory so that I can drive it home.

• Like 4

I need to add something:  I don't think my post was very clear (I'm tired and have had a shoulder injury for about two weeks now and I'm not at my best.)

I think the expectations that our culture foists on women can be very damaging.  I did NOT mean that we are wrong to feel overwhelmed and frustrated, nor do I mean to discourage venting.  I think venting is a very, very good thing (come and talk to my ponies sometime; they're GREAT listeners.)

Basically, if I made anyone feel bad, I'm sorry.  Truly.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 6

Y'all need to read Overwhelmed. I don't agree with everything in there, but it's an eye-opening read about the lives of women and the epidemic of business. For what it is worth, she makes a point about women needing to take time to play. Women have really never had a culture of playing. Everything is exercise, or socializing, or wrapped up in something for the children. It was a thought to chew on for me. My play was always being outside, imagining stories and inventing worlds. Oh, and digging in the dirt. I'd love to take up gardening again soon, but when I do, it will be because I want to dig in the dirt, not because I want to grow bunches of healthy food for the family. I happen to like growing vegetables, but I foresee a garden that is mostly sunflowers and cosmos, because I like cut flowers. And maybe some single roses growing up and over my chicken house because I love to smell roses.

I think that some people do have gifts when it comes to cleaning. But it usually has to do with having developed the fastest and most efficient ways of cleaning. I developed a few of those things, invested in some good tools for the job, and called it good. I don't want to get better at baseboards. I want to get better at writing and painting because I love writing and painting. But I don't think the house has to go when you need to cut back. It just might have to get more streamlined and easier to deal with in some way. I haven't cleaned the boys' room or bathroom in forever. Is it perfect when they clean it? No. But it'll do.

Which author again for Overwhelmed, please?  There are several listed on Amazon.

I thought I already had the book in my cart but I guess I am mistaken.

• Like 1

Y'all need to read Overwhelmed. I don't agree with everything in there, but it's an eye-opening read about the lives of women and the epidemic of business. For what it is worth, she makes a point about women needing to take time to play. Women have really never had a culture of playing. Everything is exercise, or socializing, or wrapped up in something for the children. It was a thought to chew on for me. My play was always being outside, imagining stories and inventing worlds. Oh, and digging in the dirt. I'd love to take up gardening again soon, but when I do, it will be because I want to dig in the dirt, not because I want to grow bunches of healthy food for the family. I happen to like growing vegetables, but I foresee a garden that is mostly sunflowers and cosmos, because I like cut flowers. And maybe some single roses growing up and over my chicken house because I love to smell roses.

I think that some people do have gifts when it comes to cleaning. But it usually has to do with having developed the fastest and most efficient ways of cleaning. I developed a few of those things, invested in some good tools for the job, and called it good. I don't want to get better at baseboards. I want to get better at writing and painting because I love writing and painting. But I don't think the house has to go when you need to cut back. It just might have to get more streamlined and easier to deal with in some way. I haven't cleaned the boys' room or bathroom in forever. Is it perfect when they clean it? No. But it'll do.

I like to play in the dirt, too, but my talents run more to the dead stuff (archaeology) than growing things.  I am good at tilling and planting, though!

I need distant horizons to look at, broad expanses of sky.  Where I have lived for the past 20 or so years I am hemmed in by trees and buildings.  Our annual road trips are as much for my sanity as visiting older relatives.  I grew up on the prairie.  I love to see the weather approaching, and unobstructed sunrises and sunsets.  I guess that's one thing I like about being out on a lake -- an open patch of sky.  I miss cornfields, and undulating prairie grass.

Certain cleaning tasks I enjoyed when I had the time to just sink into them as a form of revery, but that really doesn't happen anymore.  I usually don't own up to how few of the "daily" household chores get done each week.  Training kids in some has helped sometimes, DH's fondness of robots has helped with some (Roomba), and channeling my inner FlyBaby periodically has helped me when I felt the house had been neglected for too long.

I also have asked for and received help from my able-bodied MIL in the past.  It was when the kids were VERY young and I was desperately tired (and possibly a little post-partumly depressed), but I did ask and was given help.

• Like 3

Thank you for all your responses. I think I will get that book, Critter. I see one commonality in all your posts and that is of being more intentional about things. And being more firm about things. I am the sort of person who's a pleaser. I want everyone to be happy and I want peace. But I want peace and order in the things I look at (my house is by no means clean, even when it is "clean") and clutter gets me stressed. KWIM? But, i don't play. I rarely do things just for pleasure. Even when I read I make sure I read books that are good for me. Most of the time I enjoy them, and I revel in a good Harry Bosch, but still.... I guess I don't feel like I have any good outlets.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

"I want to watch the wall!"  DD15 back when we had a projector TV that we projected onto a blank wall.  She was maybe 4 at the time, and tired.

• Like 1

I like fire. It's pretty. And mesmerizing.

My boys discovered Sonic the Hedgehog. The theme song has been stuck in the back of my head for 3 days and it's making me BONKERS!

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

I sympathize!

Time for bed.  I hope everyone can get some good rest tonight.

Hey, Isabel!  You still with us?  G'day to you whenever you happen to see this!  We haven't forgotten you!

Good night, everyone.  Pleasant dreams.

• Like 2

She says that the pain is better than the last two days but there is still some.

((Events Planner)) 

:glare:  I hope that you get some really good answers from the cardiologist.

I'll be praying for her! 

Getting these kids to bed at night has become such a hassle! I think we'll do Bible at dinner because if something doesn't change I'm going to kill them.

I read aloud during lunch because lunch is always insanity!
  • Like 4

Goodnight.

Good night! I'm going to bed, too! Once my Old Navy Jammie's come out of the dryer. It's raining. And my cat came home. She's been missing for a couple of days. But she seems fine. She ate and is snuggled up in her bed in the garage!

Sweet dreams, ITT!Ă°Å¸ËœÂ´Ă°Å¸ËœÂ´

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

Good Sunday Morning!

Coffee is in hand!  Cat and dog have been fed, watered, and the cat's litter box has been scooped.  

Oldest is dying for a day to sleep in.  2nd oldest started a fever and head cold yesterday.  I am hoping to make it to church with at least some of us.  Hope everyone has a restful day!

• Like 3

Good night! I'm going to bed, too! Once my Old Navy Jammie's come out of the dryer. It's raining. And my cat came home. She's been missing for a couple of days. But she seems fine. She ate and is snuggled up in her bed in the garage!

How rude! She could have at least called!  

Good Sunday Morning!

Coffee is in hand!  Cat and dog have been fed, watered, and the cat's litter box has been scooped.  

Oldest is dying for a day to sleep in.  2nd oldest started a fever and head cold yesterday.  I am hoping to make it to church with at least some of us.  Hope everyone has a restful day!

Lynn,it's 4:44 in the morning. Go to bed.
  • Like 4

So glad your cat reappeared and is okay.  I wonder if she got shut into someone else's shed or garage?  That happened to our cat once or twice back in her youth.

• Like 1

Good Sunday Morning!

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   I hope everyone gets rested and better quite soon.

• Like 1

I cleaned up the kitchen further than was done yesterday evening and dealt with much of the counter clutter others had left there.  Now DD12 is making pancakes "Grandpa's way" and insisting she knows everything to do.  Mom is shutting up now and getting out of the kitchen, because obviously she doesn't know anything useful when it comes to pancakes.

DD has also announced the first two HUGE pancakes she poured are going to be lumpy.

Apparently they also fell apart when she tried to flip them.

She is getting good hands-on practice in troubleshooting, and apparently listening to Daddy's suggestions.  He is getting out butter and syrup to start eating her first round.

He is telling her exactly what I had tried to tell her about mixing wet and dry ingredients separately before combining, and how to not overload the blender.

• Like 4

I think the expectations that our culture foists on women can be very damaging.  I did NOT mean that we are wrong to feel overwhelmed and frustrated, nor do I mean to discourage venting.  I think venting is a very, very good thing (come and talk to my ponies sometime; they're GREAT listeners.)

I agree. Sometimes finding one's hopes, dreams and desires in the muddle can be difficult and confusing. 

The book I read was called Overwhelmed: How to Work, Love and Play When No One Has The Time, by Brigid Schulte. As I said, I don't agree with everything, but she gave me a lot to think about, and high on that list had to be what leisure has looked like for women from time immemorial. It looks a lot like work.

Work looks like double work for women--home and childcare or home and housekeeping. Most women are doing double shifts.

Love looks like work. It looks like childcare, running people from one place to another, making sure everyone gets a square meal now and again.

Play looks like work. You can't exercise without it being exercise. You can't read unless you quantify it somehow or contribute to a book club. You can't garden without trying to figure out if you can squeeze in another tomato plant for salsa if you skip that row of flowers. Oh, and if you don't lose weight doing it, it doesn't count. In her chapter on play, she is trying out acrobatics in the air. :svengo: I didn't play like that as a kid! Let alone as an adult. It's play for me to take my folding chair with the head rest and a can of something nice to drink and just sit out on a river bank and count on DH to keep an eye on the boys for a while while I gaze out blankly at the cliffs and the birds and think about dragons.

And somehow or another, probably because I don't think she has suffered illness (although she does talk with people who have), she didn't mention sleep. I don't know about you, but sleep can be a ton of work. I can't fathom the level of pain Jean is in at times, or Prairie, or Junie. But I know that even with a good mattress, I wake up several times a night hurting all over. I look like Bigfoot lumbering around in the morning as I try to warm out of my painful muscles and hip joints. I love to run, but I can read the cards--I need to learn to love walking, because running is probably not the best thing for me to do anymore. She didn't mention the trouble that women have sleeping, but I think she could have added a chapter on it. When I'm not hurting, I'm trying to stop my mind from churning. It's very hard for me to get meditative enough at night to sleep well. Sometimes I sleep nine hours and I wake up tired. I would have liked to see a section on sleep added to the book because I know it's as big a deal as any of the other categories, IMO.

But there was enough in the book to give me a lot to think about. It sort of dovetailed with the teaching from rest ideas that I learned about on the forum, and have thought about those ideas a lot as I read through the book, although the book is more focused toward women with substantial careers outside the home. 

• Like 7

Good morning. I have two prayer/good thoughts requests:

1.. That I can drive ds' new car home. I learned to drive on a stick and was able to pick it up again a couple of years ago when we had a manual loaner but I am nervous that I won't be able to drive this car the one and a half hours home. On busy freeways. Plus apparently the brakes on this thing aren't the best. I woke up a couple of times in the night stressed about it. Dh has to work this afternoon so he can't help.

2, please pray that the cardiologist finds something. Maybe. I mean, I really don't want dd to have something wrong with her heart. She's a very active girl. But something is wrong. I 100% know that it isn't anxiety despite her primary doctor's suggestion. I've seen this happen when she's sitting, relaxed and texting her friends and all of a sudden her face goes grey. Anyway, I know what it's like to have doctors not find easy answers and it really sucks. I hope that they can find something, treat it and she can go back to being super jock.

• Like 7

"Don't lick the toilet seat." - Me, just now

you ruin all our fun!!Ă°Å¸ËœÅ“Â 

Ds bought a used car today. Now I have to teach him how to drive a stick shift. He had the crazy idea that I would just teach him how to drive it in 10 minutes tomorrow and then he would drive it home. Not happening. In fact I have to refresh my own memory so that I can drive it home.

I could probably figure out how to drive stick if someone was bleeding to death and I had to take them to the hospital, but otherwise.... Forget it!  

So glad your cat reappeared and is okay.  I wonder if she got shut into someone else's shed or garage?  That happened to our cat once or twice back in her youth.

that was my thought. Last time she went missing she came back a little beat up, but this time she's just hungry!
  • Like 4

I agree. Sometimes finding one's hopes, dreams and desires in the muddle can be difficult and confusing. 

The book I read was called Overwhelmed: How to Work, Love and Play When No One Has The Time, by Brigid Schulte. As I said, I don't agree with everything, but she gave me a lot to think about, and high on that list had to be what leisure has looked like for women from time immemorial. It looks a lot like work.

Work looks like double work for women--home and childcare or home and housekeeping. Most women are doing double shifts.

Love looks like work. It looks like childcare, running people from one place to another, making sure everyone gets a square meal now and again.

Play looks like work. You can't exercise without it being exercise. You can't read unless you quantify it somehow or contribute to a book club. You can't garden without trying to figure out if you can squeeze in another tomato plant for salsa if you skip that row of flowers. Oh, and if you don't lose weight doing it, it doesn't count. In her chapter on play, she is trying out acrobatics in the air. :svengo: I didn't play like that as a kid! Let alone as an adult. It's play for me to take my folding chair with the head rest and a can of something nice to drink and just sit out on a river bank and count on DH to keep an eye on the boys for a while while I gaze out blankly at the cliffs and the birds and think about dragons.

And somehow or another, probably because I don't think she has suffered illness (although she does talk with people who have), she didn't mention sleep. I don't know about you, but sleep can be a ton of work. I can't fathom the level of pain Jean is in at times, or Prairie, or Junie. But I know that even with a good mattress, I wake up several times a night hurting all over. I look like Bigfoot lumbering around in the morning as I try to warm out of my painful muscles and hip joints. I love to run, but I can read the cards--I need to learn to love walking, because running is probably not the best thing for me to do anymore. She didn't mention the trouble that women have sleeping, but I think she could have added a chapter on it. When I'm not hurting, I'm trying to stop my mind from churning. It's very hard for me to get meditative enough at night to sleep well. Sometimes I sleep nine hours and I wake up tired. I would have liked to see a section on sleep added to the book because I know it's as big a deal as any of the other categories, IMO.

But there was enough in the book to give me a lot to think about. It sort of dovetailed with the teaching from rest ideas that I learned about on the forum, and have thought about those ideas a lot as I read through the book, although the book is more focused toward women with substantial careers outside the home. 

Thank you for the clarification on which Overwhelmed book you had read.  I have now put that specific one in my shopping cart at Amazon.

Thinking about me buying yet more books got me thinking on a tangential line:  I used the library MORE when I was a teen riding my bike 6 miles into town on gravel/mud/potholed/washboarded roads (across the prairie and down a steep, tall river bluff) and back again than I have done as a working-for-paycheck or homeschooling Mom.  Yes, there was a financial component to this because as an adult I had more money to actually spend on books, but there were other reasons, too.  I had fewer time-eating responsibilities, despite school (and the half hour drive each way to get there, in a different town) and farm tasks and household tasks.  I had far fewer things, so it was easier to keep track of where I had put my library books, and I was the only one touching the books I checked out.  I had the time and the isolation to simply hang out in the library uninterrupted for a while (both my school's library and the library in our nearby town).

Today I have close proximity to the library and am far more mobile, but I'm also far more connected.  Even the way to explore the library is different -- I could handle the switch from Dewey Decimal to Library of Congress numbering, but the change from card catalog to computer-based searching of the collections really knocked me out for a while.  I was in college when the libraries in the places I lived were starting to digitize their collection catalogs, and there was a lot of buggy behavior and rough spots in the implementation and usage while this change-over took place.  So many changes to the systems used, too, in very short years meant that just as I got a handle on one system they changed it radically to take care of serious issues, and I had to start all over again in learning the system.  To encourage university students to use the computer systems more they took away the card catalog, too, before the computer systems were reliable or even fully populated, and the student library workers and librarians didn't know the system any better and couldn't help us find what we were looking for.

My old, tactile method of immersing myself in my library was gone.  No more walking my fingers through card catalog drawers just to see what came up.  And as an adult paying her own bills and taking classes I did not have the time to simply wander the stacks and commune with the spines as I used to.  My synchronicity had been desynced.

But the local bookstores were another matter (both new and used).  Browsing was encouraged.  The collections were smaller, but if you wanted something particular there was someone intimately familiar with what they had to help you find it, and if they didn't have it they were willing to take the effort to get it in for you.  Browsing was encouraged, communing with spines and peeking inside random books commonplace and encouraged.  The bookstores became my new hangout when time permitted, and my best friend and I frequently skimped on our grocery budget to buy more books.  Bookstores became my library.

The Barnes & Noble here changed locations, and handled the relocation rather poorly.  They became a lot less accessible location-wise, and a lot harder to browse meaningfully.  They became cluttered with lots of copies of whatever current fads were popular, with employees who knew books and could recommend and order books gradually being replaced with cheaper but less experienced clerks and shelvers.

I switched to Borders -- they were headed in the same direction but more slowly, and their location was easier to reach.  Then they went out of business.

The local used bookstores were okay, but due to undesirable activity on the part of some "customers" they became a lot less welcoming to leisurely browsers, and their collections largely reflected the fluff the local population would consume and then turn in on trade.

By now the digital library catalog systems have stabilized and been made more user-friendly.  When I could have the time I would revisit our local library, which does a good job of being a community library.  They also have a really good Inter-Library Loan program going, so anything they don't have can usually be gotten in.  But I don't have the time chunks to sit in the aisles and absorb the spines, introduce myself to what is there, and when I did take the time and tried to introduce my kids to this method of discovery they simply didn't get it because there was a computer to tell me where things were.  We also had a horrible time keeping track of the books we checked out and getting them back on time, so we stopped going except every once in a great while since it has taken on the feeling of being an errand instead of an adventure.

With Amazon's peek-inside feature on so many books I now can get a bit familiar with individual volumes, and they certainly can be easy to search for content--so much so I end up with too many possibilities.  I can invite books home to join us here and see who fits.  I am still book-addicted and have a hard time letting books go in general, but I have managed to do that when books simply didn't mesh with us, didn't speak to us.  Those I relinquish to the Friends of the Library book shop for someone else to invite home.

Perhaps someday when my schedule lightens up I will start hanging around the library just because, joining that population of "older" people who the younger folks think are just hanging out there for lack of someplace better to go, something better to do.  My girls are getting more curious, more involved in reading and the classics we have been reading and discussing seem to be directly encouraging this trend.  Perhaps there will come a time in the next year or two when they will be more willing to listen to their mother reminisce about the library explorations of her youth, and perhaps start their own explorations.

I have missed my library friends, and feel the lack.  But in 5 or 6 years I should have the time to return on my own, and perhaps between now and then the girls and I can pop in again from time to time.

• Like 3

Good morning. I have two prayer/good thoughts requests:

1.. That I can drive ds' new car home. I learned to drive on a stick and was able to pick it up again a couple of years ago when we had a manual loaner but I am nervous that I won't be able to drive this car the one and a half hours home. On busy freeways. Plus apparently the brakes on this thing aren't the best. I woke up a couple of times in the night stressed about it. Dh has to work this afternoon so he can't help.

2, please pray that the cardiologist finds something. Maybe. I mean, I really don't want dd to have something wrong with her heart. She's a very active girl. But something is wrong. I 100% know that it isn't anxiety despite her primary doctor's suggestion. I've seen this happen when she's sitting, relaxed and texting her friends and all of a sudden her face goes grey. Anyway, I know what it's like to have doctors not find easy answers and it really sucks. I hope that they can find something, treat it and she can go back to being super jock.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:   Praying hard on both counts.

• Like 3