Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Monday Morning.

Time to make the donuts.

I mean, COFFEE!

Jean, so glad dh came and got you and the car!!!!  Hope you're sleeping soundly, luxuriously.

I ran outta likes during the first grade discussion.  

I think I dreamed about going back and replying to something that I had previously only hit the Like button on yesterday.  Now I can't remember what it was.

• Like 2

I meant over the course of the 3 days.   Looks good! I vote Guest Hollow, Spanish, and Treasured Conversations for the 9 year old. I read a post about someone who let their student cover one historical event a year for high school. I think one year was WWII. You could do one a quarter?

Ah, here it is.  The post I dreamed about replying to.

This is really good advice.  Thank you.  I like the idea of one historical event per quarter or semester, in depth.  I like your other suggestions too.   :001_tt1:

• Like 5

I dreamt that when I woke up all of Mary's toys were on our bed, then I cried because I didn't know who the president was.

#politicalpost

We're home. Safe. I could not have gotten that car home that long distance but dh had fun doing it. He's my knight in very shiny armor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :001_wub:  

Ah, here it is.  The post I dreamed about replying to.

This is really good advice.  Thank you.  I like the idea of one historical event per quarter or semester, in depth.  I like your other suggestions too.   :001_tt1:

I love the in depth idea too! I think they'd get so much more out of it than whatever we'd pick, and at the end of the day, they've already learned enough history to understand the world by then, so why not?
  • Like 4

Good Morning!

Don't forget to make plans to see the 2017 solar eclipse (Monday, August 21) - if you are within a few hours drive, it might be worth it. Buy your special viewing glasses now while they are cheap and available. Slache and Jean and Krissi, you'll have to get up pretty early since it will hit the West Coast first at about 9am.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/xavier_redirect.htm

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

Booya!

Do you see this, Slashie?  You gave an ordinary, standard old Booya.  NOT one that brought proper recognition to the magical page 1600!  No wonder my computer was successful in deceiving me!  

Now go fix it!

• Like 2

$1200

That does explain a few things about the condition of the car.  So, everyone got home safely, right?  What all is going to have to be done on the car before it is safe for him to learn to drive?  Brakes, mirrors, steering wheel,....

Yeah. But broke college student who just paid out a large sum of money from his perspective.

Then he needs to find ways to lighten your load a little more over the coming days as you recover from this outing.  Just to show his awareness and appreciation of what it takes for you to do this.  And because he's a doting, loving son who really cares for his mother.

I know, he's a teen in college whose life is incredibly busy.  I can dream, though, can't I?

• Like 2

The cavalry (aka dh) is coming. After 3 hours of work, the turn signals still won't work. I can barely handle the car due to short legs. I got some food in me. I was shaking from hunger and fatigue. Now it's just fatigue.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Time to go get my one hour of housekeeping taken care of. I said I'd make pancakes tonight, so there will be cooking this evening. I think I'll pull the boys in to help with the mixing and the cooking. That's not a bad dinner to know how to make in a pinch.

• Like 2

I'm glad Jean got home last night! I ran out of likes this morning.

I'm awake, but not caffeinated. I have some housekeeping to do this morning before school. I'm kind of tired this morning.

TeA! I mean tea! Either, really.

Good Morning!

Don't forget to make plans to see the 2017 solar eclipse (Monday, August 21) - if you are within a few hours drive, it might be worth it. Buy your special viewing glasses now while they are cheap and available. Slache and Jean and Krissi, you'll have to get up pretty early since it will hit the West Coast first at about 9am.

1. It's already in my calendar because Susan in TN told me about it last year.

2. I get up at 5.

I need pantz.

No, you don't.

Do you see this, Slashie?  You gave an ordinary, standard old Booya.  NOT one that brought proper recognition to the magical page 1600!  No wonder my computer was successful in deceiving me!  

Now go fix it!

OBB does what she wants. :coolgleamA:
  • Like 1

We're home. Safe. I could not have gotten that car home that long distance but dh had fun doing it. He's my knight in very shiny armor.

Hooray for Jean's DH!!!!

• Like 1

Good Morning!

Oh, yeah!  I forgot about that!  That's on my Mom's birthday, too, so I can consider it a present from her up in heaven.  It's just a few days before my best friend's birthday and a few more before mine, too, so birthday present all around!

• Like 1

Time to go get my one hour of housekeeping taken care of. I said I'd make pancakes tonight, so there will be cooking this evening. I think I'll pull the boys in to help with the mixing and the cooking. That's not a bad dinner to know how to make in a pinch.

DD12 made pancakes yesterday for breakfast.  I foolishly did NOT have any protein with mine.  Oh well, at least I have BG readings to show what that does to me.

Now I need to show the girls a good way to cook bacon.

TeA! I mean tea! Either, really.

1. It's already in my calendar because Susan in TN told me about it last year.

2. I get up at 5.

No, you don't.

OBB does what she wants. :coolgleamA:

:001_tt2:

• Like 1

My access to the internet choked again yesterday evening.  This seems to happen more when DH's 3D printer is running, but I don't know why that would be the case.  I also ran out of likes yesterday, so the enforced delay at least got me some of my likes back.

Busy week this week.  Doubled music lessons because we missed last week.  Art class.  Aikido.  Park Day.  Dentist (me).  Well Woman check-up (me).  Becoming a hard-donkey about DD12's use of electronics when she hadn't yet completed her school work.

I also had a discussion with her about music to listen to while she studies.  She says the music helps her ignore other distractions, but if there are words to the songs she has trouble reading, and the instrumental music she was finding was putting her to sleep.  I talked about search criteria in her music app, basically describe the music she wants, like "upbeat instrumental only", and don't worry about genres or styles.  She has now found some instrumental-only music she seems to like for studying.  And she promptly decided to forego the due-this-morning studies further for the sake of exercising to warm herself up.

After yesterday's high winds we have a fairly calm with faint breeze day, clear skies, and lots of dust and pollen that blew in from West Texas.  Sudafed is a must today, but so will be some sunshine time.  Temps will be pleasant and the air smells nice.  Not too humid right now, too.

Good morning, everyone!  I'm going to go get a little more fresh air and sunshine before we start class.

• Like 2

Good Morning!

We already have plans to see it! My in-laws live in the path so we're spending the week there. I'm so excited. Nobody else in the family is but I think they'll change their minds. 

• Like 5

Does anyone have really good construction Spanish?  My 400 level classes didn't cover installing drip edge and starter rows of shingles.

I need to say that if the hail punctured the plywood, I need photos.  Is this google translate close? Si el granizo pinchó el contrachapado, necesito fotos del daño de granizo.  Grammatically it looks close, but I don't know about vocab.

In first grade, we did Calculus, AP Physics, and Aramaic, we worked on AP style for research papers, and DD built architectural models of famous structures with pipe cleaners, popsicle sticks, and Elmer's Glue.  Doesn't everyone?  :confused1:

:mellow:

I'm a liar.  DD was still in school.  She did a carpload of stupid worksheets.  Parent fail.

Good Morning!

Ooo, thanks for the reminder.  Must.Plan.Camping.Excursion.  (We're about 6 hours away from the direct path.)

• Like 5

Does anyone have really good construction Spanish?  My 400 level classes didn't cover installing drip edge and starter rows of shingles.

I need to say that if the hail punctured the plywood, I need photos.  Is this google translate close? Si el granizo pinchó el contrachapado, necesito fotos del daño de granizo.  Grammatically it looks close, but I don't know about vocab.

:001_smile:  Personal information disseminated and deleted.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 2

That does explain a few things about the condition of the car. So, everyone got home safely, right? What all is going to have to be done on the car before it is safe for him to learn to drive? Brakes, mirrors, steering wheel,....

Brakes, turn signals, a mirror that is duct taped on , a gear shift that is duct taped on! The steering wheel is fine It was just taken off so that he could get to the turn signal wires. Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

We already have plans to see it! My in-laws live in the path so we're spending the week there. I'm so excited. Nobody else in the family is but I think they'll change their minds. 

We don't live near the path and other events are claiming pretty much all of DH's vacation time so we are not likely to travel to see it.  We can, however, watch it on the internet and I'm sure the regional observatory will have something going on.  

• Like 1

Brakes, turn signals, a mirror that is duct taped on , a gear shift that is duct taped on! The steering wheel is fine It was just taken off so that he could get to the turn signal wires.

The gear shift lever itself isn't duct-taped into place, is it?  It's stuff attached or surrounding the lever that has been taped, right?

This is sounding more and more like a project car that will take some time and funds to get to passing a safety inspection for registration.  A project can be educational!  First steps:  identify what all needs doing and PRIORITIZE.  No, fancy new seat covers, speakers, fuzzy dice, and dingle-ball fringes are NOT priority.

• Like 1

Baked bacon is the best. I can't remember how long or at what temperature though. I'll tell you later.

Baked bacon---400F for 15-20 minutes.

It's the only way I make bacon these days.  I line my cookie sheet with parchment paper.

What makes baked bacon better?  (*snort*  I love alliteration.)

I do like baked bacon, but it does spatter so in the oven and leave a mess.  I also hadn't figured out the proper temp and duration to get it just right.

I want to clean my ovens soon, if we ever get another cold snap when my weekend isn't already booked, so perhaps baking some would be in order soon.

JJM, even cooking, and when done right, consistent taste and texture throughout each strip. 

The first method I will likely teach the girls is MY microwave method.  Grandma nukes the bacon in a rack covered loosely with paper towel, then deals with the oodles of hot grease threatening to spill when the rack is moved.  I line my microwave racks with paper towel and then cover over the bacon with more paper towel.  If I don't buy the cheapest bacon I seldom have to pick bits of paper towel off of the bacon, and all of the grease is wicked up and unlikely to spill on us.

I forgot our favorite method:  buy thick bacon and have DH grill it on the smoker grill!   :drool5:

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 2

Ok, so.... I found one good thing about peri-menopause! One. You don't have to shave your legs. The hair stops growing. I haven't had to shave my legs in months.

This is largely true.  I still have some hair, but it is so sparse and thin no one notices.

Instead now I have some chin whiskers to pluck....

I'm watching my nephews today. They are ...intense. In a completely different way than my boys. It's going to be a long day.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Hang in there!

DD15 is now upstairs walking on the treadmill in an attempt to wake up her brain.  She says she is having a MONDAY.

I'm watching my nephews today. They are ...intense. In a completely different way than my boys. It's going to be a long day.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

I don't have any nieces or nephews, so I have no idea whether I should be sympathetic or envious.  :)

The gear shift lever itself isn't duct-taped into place, is it? It's stuff attached or surrounding the lever that has been taped, right?

This is sounding more and more like a project car that will take some time and funds to get to passing a safety inspection for registration. A project can be educational! First steps: identify what all needs doing and PRIORITIZE. No, fancy new seat covers, speakers, fuzzy dice, and dingle-ball fringes are NOT priority.

Yes, it's a project car. And yes, he has good priorities. And unfortunately, yes part of the gear shift lever was duct taped together. He doesn't plan to really drive it for 5 months while he works on it.

• Like 3

Yes, it's a project car. And yes, he has good priorities. And unfortunately, yes part of the gear shift lever was duct taped together. He doesn't plan to really drive it for 5 months while he works on it.

This makes me feel better.  

ETA:  It's a Booyah for Tech Support!!

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2

In first grade, we did Calculus, AP Physics, and Aramaic, we worked on AP style for research papers, and DD built architectural models of famous structures with pipe cleaners, popsicle sticks, and Elmer's Glue.  Doesn't everyone?  :confused1:

:mellow:

I'm a liar.  DD was still in school.  She did a carpload of stupid worksheets.  Parent fail.

Ooo, thanks for the reminder.  Must.Plan.Camping.Excursion.  (We're about 6 hours away from the direct path.)

This is my plan for 3rd.

It's too bad he's already graduated high school. I totally use that for school credit!
  • Like 5

I don't have any nieces or nephews, so I have no idea whether I should be sympathetic or envious. :)

My nephews are wonderful little boys. But...they are little boys. A 6 and a 4 yr old. On top of my 6 and almost 3 yr old. (And I do mean on top....they've been wrestling all day and they far outweigh my boys)

I had to climb on my roof to get a toy helicopter.

There's jelly in Mal's hair.

Weapon X lost his pants. I don't know how that happens.

DN6 keeps trying to take over everything. He is very excitable.

I think both sympathy and envy are appropriate.

• Like 8

Hypothetically (ahem), if your daughter had to tell you that your granddaughter had minor permanent hearing loss, would you want to be told as soon as possible (over the phone) or a month later (in person).

I think that in person might be better because then she could see that her granddaughter really is ok.