• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

So, Wonder Woman came through anyway, behind the scenes. This means the info is available somewhere, I just don't know. The update messed with the new organization format I was working on, but I don't care. I'm so happy it's there and I don't have to figure it all out on the fly. Once it's all there, I can mess with the organization.

• Like 4

On a positive note, my invented summer plum tarte tatin is beyond awesome. It could perhaps be a little sweeter, but the combination of tart fruit, nutmeg, alligator pepper and tender GF pie crust is really quite good with a bit of ice cream.

So, recipe, please?  (Unless you have already shared it and I haven't gotten to that post yet)

Where did you find alligator pepper?

• Like 2

Fran > Theo

Try taking a look at Burdick chocolates:  http://www.burdickchocolate.com/

These were a rare treat for the girls and me that DH discovered.  Now I guess they will be an even rarer treat for me.  We have used these for special occasion gifts for others, too, when we didn't know what to give.  Back in the brick & mortar school days the kids' teachers LOVED getting these.

I like baking success.

Dancer was supposed to make a peach cobbler but never got around to it. She just left with friends on a camping trip, so I'm going to make it before the peaches (fresh-picked!) go bad. I'm also to make an apple coffee cake (apples fresh-picked), and do something with some fresh-picked pears.

I need pear ideas.

The only thing I have ever done with fresh, ripe pears is pig out, sometimes guiltily while hiding in the kitchen because I was eating the last and not sharing.  

• Like 2

Lori D. is my favorite thing.

I had never heard of her so I googled and found lori-d.com.  She has a video on her front page showing some of her animation -- quite nice!  DD12 watched it with me, and her favorite part is the worm.

Slache,

I didn't want to hijack Katie's "Violet" thread, but you forgot Daisy, Ivy, Laurel, and Heather.   ;)

Dd12 has a whole list of "flower names" in her story-writing binder.  It's in her room, so I can't get it right now.  There's probably a dozen or so names -- will that be enough?   :laugh:

Hyacinth.  Hyacinth Bucket (that's pronounced "Bookay", dear).  Don't forget Rose, unless you don't want the association with Hyacinth's sister.

• Like 4

Ivy's not a flower and I don't like the others. I don't even like Rose, but it's the best. Daisy was our rabbit. Horrible death. Lovely name, but no Daisys.

What are you naming?

Buttercup?  Petunia?  Lily?  Iris?  Jasmine?

• Like 1

I should go eat some toast now to test my stomach.  I got hit with another round of intense and sudden gas and diarrhea yesterday afternoon and missed going over the visit the ILs.  I don't know if I'm reacting to various foods I'm eating (I did eat something new for late lunch yesterday, so that COULD be it) or if the meds are doing something (after the first few weeks of no reactions to the meds) or if maybe my immune system is knocked down and I'l simply catching every danged thing that comes around.  It seems I'm getting sick in some way every week or two.

I WANT to go to Ikea today for bookcases, but it's quite a drive and if my gut won't cooperate I'll have to put it off.  I NEED to go grocery shopping, but I've done that once when a gut attack hit and I would prefer not repeating the experience.

Fall allergies are also already starting (early and looking to be prolonged this year).  It's likely a combination of all or some of the reasons already mentioned, but it sure makes it hard to figure everything out.

I don't like this.  I want to go back to being high-metabolism skinny and only getting sick one day a year to purge the system.

• Like 3

I had never heard of her so I googled and found lori-d.com. She has a video on her front page showing some of her animation -- quite nice! DD12 watched it with me, and her favorite part is the worm.

I thought they were talking about a forum member. Does she have a website, too?

• Like 3

Good Morning!

(((AMJ)))

I has to get to the grocery store this morning. I have theater set committee this afternoon. Why do they put me on set committee? I have no set-building skills, even after a year of being on the set committee. Oh well. There will be only one production after this, and then I will be done because dd will graduate.:)

• Like 3

Do the Harry Potter movies say OMG? Not that I would ever play those movies in our home. We'd obviously all go to Hell if I did.

I'm a real stickler about the OMG thing and I think John might be old enough to enjoy them.

#badchristian

#christiansarentfunny

:scared:

Those movies are SCARY.  They freak me out now, and I'm almost a grown-up.

• Like 2

The short person finished her short, intro-school-week work early yesterday, so we went out on the boat.  It was BEE-YOO-TI-FUL.  And I'm glad we went, because now we have a hazardous weather outlook for high winds Sunday afternoon and Monday with temps possibly dropping overnight Monday into the 20s. 

I'm thinking that we're gonna skip the whole "Indian summer" thing this year and just have fall.  Ah, well.  Today's supposed to be beautiful and we're going on a "Mystery Hike."  Wish us luck!

• Like 7

It's SOOOO windy out! And the rain has started!

It's a windy BOOYA!! 🌀💧ðŸƒ

I'm picturing this in my mind. It seems wonderful. I love it when it's windy and just spitting rain a little before the main event comes.  

:scared:

Those movies are SCARY.  They freak me out now, and I'm almost a grown-up.

I have never seen a HP movie and only read the first book. I just couldn't get into them.  

I'm thinking that we're gonna skip the whole "Indian summer" thing this year and just have fall.  Ah, well.  Today's supposed to be beautiful and we're going on a "Mystery Hike."  Wish us luck!

a Mystery Hike? I like the sound of that. Have fun!
  • Like 3

Ivy's not a flower and I don't like the others. I don't even like Rose, but it's the best. Daisy was our rabbit. Horrible death. Lovely name, but no Daisys.

Ok, I just snuck on over to that name thread, I had no idea what you guys were talking about. You are quite the smart alek, Slashie! You do us proud!
  • Like 1

I had never heard of her so I googled and found lori-d.com. She has a video on her front page showing some of her animation -- quite nice! DD12 watched it with me, and her favorite part is the worm.

She's a hive member. Probably a different person. She's kind, brilliant and resourceful. Her posts are amazing. Her profile pic is a black lab.

• Like 4

I wouldn't let a young child watch the Harry Potter movies.  I wouldn't let them watch any movie that was scary.  But my kids were on the sensitive side.  I also think that we don't have to push kids to watch things too early.  (Looking this over - this is sort of blunt but I just woke up and I can't think of how to soften it so I'm just going to add YMMV.)

• Like 6

I wouldn't let a young child watch the Harry Potter movies. I wouldn't let them watch any movie that was scary. But my kids were on the sensitive side. I also think that we don't have to push kids to watch things too early. (Looking this over - this is sort of blunt but I just woke up and I can't think of how to soften it so I'm just going to add YMMV.)

Thumbs up.

I allow my kids to read the first HP book when they have finished 3rd grade (if they are reading well enough for it), and they can read the next when they finish 4th grade, and so on. So by the time they are to the more scary/serious books (5th?) they have finished 7th grade and are probably up to it. And they can't watch the movie until they've finished the book, of course.:)

• Like 4

Thumbs up.

I allow my kids to read the first HP book when they have finished 3rd grade (if they are reading well enough for it), and they can read the next when they finish 4th grade, and so on. So by the time they are to the more scary/serious books (5th?) they have finished 7th grade and are probably up to it. And they can't watch the movie until they've finished the book, of course.:)

Eta: Spoiler alert!

I think Cedric dies in the 4th.

Edited by Slache

Now that dd is starting homeschool high school, she's getting all these homeschooling questions and comments again. 

Yesterday at the doctor's office, the receptionist asked if she went to school  When dd said that she is homeschooled, she was asked if she liked it.  Fortunately she said yes, since her teacher was standing right there!  I had discovered with ds in highschool that when people were skeptical, all I had to do was to add "I teach him Latin" and they would suddenly switch from being skeptical to impressed.  Dd isn't taking Latin, but I"ve now discovered that all I have to say is "I've graduated one already and he's now in college" and they are all enthusiastic.  The receptionist was giving me high fives! 

Last night at the open house that I didn't go to but dh and dd still attended, one grandma (who has homeschooled grandchildren :glare: )  was giving her a hard time about "not having any friends".  Dd set the record straight! 

• Like 4

As soon as dd gets off from her babysitting job in a couple of  hours we are going to drive up north to a library.  They have a copy of The Fallacy Detective at the desk for me.  I actually have The Fallacy Detective somewhere in the Schoolroom of Doom but despite two forays into the dark abyss, I haven't been able to find it. 

• Like 4