• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I groceried, but forgot milk. :svengo:

It's hotter than hades outside. :nopity:

I need to grocery this afternoon, but I don't want to. And it is hotter than hades in our neck of the woods, too! I'm looking at buying property in Southern Argentina.
  • Like 5

But with cicadas, how much wing do you leave before you fry it? (That is actually a question that comes up in my novel, where cicadas are a kind of seasonal delicacy.)

I would keep the wing in and then pluck it out and scrape it with your teeth after dipping it in melted butter. Sort of like eating artichokes.
  • Like 2

I'm going to go drink some coffee (it is indeed hot coffee) and start my next Harry Bosch.

Our conversation at the dinner table tonight revolved around the fact that we are totally out of coffee. Terrifying, I know! Dh decided he'd better run to the grocery store to buy coffee and Finish dishwasher stuff. And anything else I think of in the next 5 minutes.

• Like 5

Our conversation at the dinner table tonight revolved around the fact that we are totally out of coffee. Terrifying, I know! Dh decided he'd better run to the grocery store to buy coffee and Finish dishwasher stuff. And anything else I think of in the next 5 minutes.

Would he mind picking us up some apples? We're out and the kids want them for the morning.

Thanks!

• Like 4

I bought heavy duty bras and makeup yesterday. I am joining a gym tomorrow and dying my roots again. I am getting serious in my war about not looking ancient.

I drove 15 hours recently to visit my old hair stylist (oh, and see family). I totally understand the need for a good haircut, hornblower. Elizabeth Warren hair is never ok. 

The genealogy bug came and bit my bum again. The timing is so inconvenient for me to pick up this hobby again.

• Like 6

I bought heavy duty bras and makeup yesterday. I am joining a gym tomorrow and dying my roots again. I am getting serious in my war about not looking ancient.

I drove 15 hours recently to visit my old hair stylist (oh, and see family). I totally understand the need for a good haircut, hornblower. Elizabeth Warren hair is never ok.

The genealogy bug came and bit my bum again. The timing is so inconvenient for me to pick up this hobby again.

Fish oil pills. Expensive shampoo. I use Redken All Soft. I only buy it when ULTA's having a litre sale though. It's the same as Finesse or Aussie at that point. My hair is gorgeous. Drop dead gorgeous. Stopping traffic gorgeous. Not so gorgeous with cheap shampoo.
  • Like 2

Living in a world where eating locusts is a delicacy doesn't seem to be an easy place to be. Enjoy your shower and this world's comforts!

Cicadas, not locusts! Nasty things, locusts. And the chef says that you leave just enough wing on to make eating interesting. But I'll let him have my share. :laugh:

• Like 3

You are a better woman than I am! But I actually don't mind drinking hot coffee, even when it is hot outside.

I took my family out to IHOP for brunch as a reward for painting the kitchen yesterday. Today, we continue with the bathroom, living room, and ceiling. I'll be finishing the living room tomorrow, hopefully, because dh is taking dd16 to work with him for the next week for painting.

Anyway, at IHOP I had coffee. I don't like drinking coffee at our house because the temperature inside is the same or worse than outside during summer.  It is always cold at IHOP, so coffee is great. I drank that and orange juice.

Speaking of orange juice, Gymnast thinks oranges are the best thing. She gets so excited when she can have something with oranges in it, or oranges by themselves. She's so giddy. It's kinda funny.

• Like 7

Sorry, CF, I had my Midwest brain/language going on. I know there is a difference, but where I grew up cicadas were called locusts even though true locusts are more like grasshoppers and cicadas are nothing like grasshoppers.

It's like "dinner". Dinner can be lunch or supper depending on who you are talking to.

• Like 3

Dd and I walked around to where the neighborhood woods used to be.  The construction crew had done a poor job fencing it all in so we walked back there to check it out.  (I just might be a bad influence.)  Now that the trees have already been taken down (except for a portion that will probably be billed as a "forested area with a natural park setting"), I am eager for them to get all done with the housing development.  Right now there is constant pounding noise from 7 am on the dot to 5 pm on the dot. 

Well, yes of course. Running out of coffee.... why that's almost sinful! ;)
  • Like 2

Good for you! After a weekend of excellent (mostly, we did eat fast food on the way home, but it was In'nOut and that's a step up, even though it's still fast food) eating, I need to seriously figure out how I'm going to tackle these 30 lbs., plus get back on the no-sugar thing.
  • Like 2

Cicadas are roaring right now. They really get worked up around nightfall.

ETA: We had thunder, but no rain.

The first (and only) time I ever heard cicadas was when we went to DH's family reunion 9 years ago in Central Kansas. They do roar.
  • Like 3

I grew up hearing cicadas in the summer. I love that sound.

Did I tell y'all about the summer of 1998 when the 7 year and the 13 year cicadas emerged in the perfect cicada storm? It was horrifying. I remember being 8 months pregant waving my arms like a crazy person to get the swarm away from my head as I ran screaming through the parking lot to my OB's office. We have recordings of the constant noise of a buzz saw we could hear inside the house with all the windows shut. No one mowed their lawns until they were gone that summer because the cicadas would swarm anything that made noise - especially engines.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

I just got off the phone with my mother for the first time since..? She still has made no effort to come see the baby. Last week my ex boyfriend's mother came to see the baby. My mother kept asking if I was OK and then accusing me of not being truthful when I said yes. She seems to think I'm on the brink of suicide or divorced or murdering the children or something. Something about 3 kids being too hard and me not being ready. Because she knows me so well. She said that if I ever need anything to call her. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times she has said yes when I said I needed something in my adult life. I asked her 2 years ago for $20 for diapers and she said no. If I need something I call my dad.

I just got off the phone with my mother for the first time since..? She still has made no effort to come see the baby. Last week my ex boyfriend's mother came to see the baby. My mother kept asking if I was OK and then accusing me of not being truthful when I said yes. She seems to think I'm on the brink of suicide or divorced or murdering the children or something. Something about 3 kids being too hard and me not being ready. Because she knows me so well. She said that if I ever need anything to call her. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times she has said yes when I said I needed something in my adult life. I asked her 2 years ago for $20 for diapers and she said no. If I need something I call my dad.

That just gets my Elephant Ninja senses all tingling. Loud call for bazookas and duct tape!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 8

Did I tell y'all about the summer of 1998 when the 7 year and the 13 year cicadas emerged in the perfect cicada storm? It was horrifying. I remember being 8 months pregant waving my arms like a crazy person to get the swarm away from my head as I ran screaming through the parking lot to my OB's office. We have recordings of the constant noise of a buzz saw we could hear inside the house with all the windows shut. No one mowed their lawns until they were gone that summer because the cicadas would swarm anything that made noise - especially engines.

Matt says 2004. Are you on different schedules or is he just wrong?