Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 minute ago, maize said:

Yes, the trouble with the various baby and toddler wearing options is that my babies and toddlers are built like sumo wrestlers...

One of my boys weighed in at 24lbs at his four month check up and several others have come close. Apparently my milk is something like 99% cream.

Gymnast was like that! My dMIL, who thought that breastmilk turns to water at 6 months, was shocked at how built/fat/whatever Gymnast was when I told her she was exclusively bf'ed. Because of allergies, she'd actually lose weight when we would try solids, so it went on for a while...

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

Moby wrap.

Eta: For the nursing kid, not the transmission.

Nah. Too expensive.

I got a piece of fabric from Hobby Lobby (it was a specific kind, don't remember which), cut it in half lengthwise, and had two wraps for $16.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Too much excitement for after 11 pm. I let Juliet out for her bedtime pee but when I went to put her to bed she wasn’t in the back yard and the gate was wide open. I went over to her bff’s house but she wasn’t there. I tried calling softly but no puppy. I went in, found a leash and a flashlight. Fortunately she loves chasing flashlight beams because I barely got out the door again and a puppy came pouncing on the beam of  light and I was able to get her to follow the light back into the house. 

• Thanks 6

Good Morning, Happy Tuesday.

I like some Metallica.  Nothing Else Matters and some other slow ballady song I can't think of the name of.

I have 9 campers for zombie week yesterday and today, 8 for tomorrow (two leave but one comes), then 7 for the rest of the week.  I felt bad yesterday had kids with nut butter for lunch and I have kids with tree nut allergies so couldn't let them have it.  I send email/PM/messages to everyone and have a sign on my door but people still aren't used to the tree nut thing.  Peanuts, yes.   I have another with two younger kids who are afraid of zombies.  We aren't doing anything scary, all pictures are cartoons from plants versus zombies or cute animal zombies.  Not sure what I can do if the whole idea scares them, I'll have to see how they are today.  

It looks like I'm running all three of my last weeks of camp.   I think I"m giving the kids off school in favor of doing comprehensive plans for our first two months of official school starting in September.  It feels like a better use of resources.  

Meanwhile, thanks to the weekend away my house is a wreck and I"m super behind on laundry.

• Like 5

Good morning!

Whew, Toto!  You have your hands full!

I have nowhere to go today!  Kids' orchestra doesn't start up for a couple weeks.  Tomorrow I only plan to go grocery shopping, but I have nowhere else to go.  I forgot to give the kids the chocolate bars for the first day of school.  Oops.  Happy 2nd day of school!  

Today we might finally hit 80 degrees by 8am - it's summer! :laugh:

Coffee!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I don’t listen to Matallica.

Or change oil.

I need to figure out curriculum.

Critter should move to Alaska. Or Patagonia.

Critter is ready to move to the Yukon. And stay there. But given that the urge only hits me in the summer, DH is convinced that a summer home in New Zealand would be better. LOL. For me, a cave with low light, a waterfall, a pool and room service would be just fine.

I listen to Metallica, but it makes me feel like I should be writing, so...

EDPO: Avert yer eyes!

I figured out my curriculum. Basically, aside from Latin and Math, if I don't own it, not going to get it. Boys are trying to decide between Spanish and French for Modern Foreign language. I told them one or the other. Sadly, not set up to offer both, but if the wish to study another language one day, they will have years of Latin study and grammar study to help them. Spanish would cost less. DH thinks they shouldn't have a choice--Spanish only. I'm hoping it's French. I studied Spanish, and it just isn't my favorite. But we'll see by the end of the week. If French, I need another day of unexpected work to pay for it. If I hadn't had to buy tires, I'd have been set. Sigh.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 9

In other news: I hope spider web isn't toxic. Between yesterday and today, I think I've eaten a whole web. I keep walking into them face first when I take the dogs out or go to the store to get ice for the chickens.  They don't taste like cotton candy.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!!

Kid 1 and Kid 2 are not up nearly as early this morning as they were yesterday!!!😂. They both had a good first day of school. 

Another busy day for me. My roster keeps growing, school starts next week and the curriculum ordering people are quite behind. I guess I will be telling a lot of people about the free math worksheets on-line, and getting read-aloud and such from the library for a while.

It’s getting hot again. Supposed to be 108 degrees by Thursday. I think I will be Critter’s neighbor at her summer home in New Zealand.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

In other news: I hope spider web isn't toxic. Between yesterday and today, I think I've eaten a whole web. I keep walking into them face first when I take the dogs out or go to the store to get ice for the chickens.  They don't taste like cotton candy.

Ick.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

The kids are in children’s choir and I found a quiet bench. They really are excited to be back. This is ds14’s first year in the high school choir. I hope he can catch on to appropriate behavior.  A neighbor friend showed up at our door at 3:30 and asked if she could have a ride to choir.  😳  OK - hop in the van. (She did text her dad to let him know.)

(Edpo avert yer eyeballs)

School went pretty well today. A Few Things fell through the cracks and I read two chapters of yhe wrong book at story time. Horrors!  😂

I can’t see any ducklings OR boxes.  🙁

Remember the sprig of lavender I stole from the university gardens?  Well they completely redesigned the gardens and the plant is gone. Good thing I nabbed it when I did!  😁

What is this "school" thing y'all are talking about? 🙈🙉🙊

13 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Looks awesome!

Norway is nice and cool this time of year.  Compared to the Land of Ticks and Chiggers, at least.  Which reminds me, we need to spend August at JJM's house.

It was 46 when I got up. Expected high today will be 81. When should I expect everyone? Spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. Low carb noodles available for other sufferers, errr, dieters.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Yay!!!  I hope it's great!  And that ds meets at least one person he has things in common with - if not tonight, then in the first week or so.  

He started out a bit awkwardly, but eventually he started talking to some kids, and by the end was hanging out in a back room with a bunch of them.  Yay!  He’s says they are weird in a good way, and he thinks they may even be weirder than him. So that made him relax.  And afterwards he thanked me for signing him up.  🥰 

I met some moms; one of them does evaluations.  She’s my new best friend. 😂

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 9

6 minutes ago, ikslo said:

He started out a bit awkwardly, but eventually he started talking to some kids, and by the end was hanging out ina back room with a bunch of them.  Yay.  He’s says they are weird in a good way, and he thinks they may even be weirder than hi. So that made him relax.  And afterwards he thanked me for signing him up.  🥰 

Yay!  I hope he ends up with some really good friends!!

• Like 4

I don't know why I am so on edge this morning.  I'm about ready to bite off everyone's head.  Also, the internet is stupid.  Also, why is is so difficult to find out what the temperature was at 8:00 this morning?  I can't find it recorded anywhere.  I can easily find the 8am termperature of Toronto, Canada.  :rolleyes:

ETA: That's the 3rd time this morning I've spelled it termperature.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

Happy Tuesday!

I awoke at 4, got up at 4:45, worked on fall term memory binders until 7, showered and fed kids, then had a second sleep (while the kids were all happily and cooperatively producing a play on the deck).  

I never get a second sleep.  Especially until 11 am.  And play-production is always the opposite of cooperative.  

Weird day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I found the high priest that was missing from the church's tabernacle display!  Remind me that I am putting it next to the phone in the kitchen so that I can remember to reunite it with the rest of the tabernacle on Sunday.  (or at least "a" Sunday.)

Makes note.... high priest is near the phone in Jean's kitchen.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, ikslo said:

He started out a bit awkwardly, but eventually he started talking to some kids, and by the end was hanging out in a back room with a bunch of them.  Yay!  He’s says they are weird in a good way, and he thinks they may even be weirder than him. So that made him relax.  And afterwards he thanked me for signing him up.  🥰 

❤️❤️❤️

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The high priest's table is next to the high priest next to the phone.  (This is like one of those memory games that you keep adding things to. . . )

Because where else would he sit to make his calls? And eat his holy snacks? 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

We have a plant sitting next to our phone in the kitchen, but it doesn't have a name and it isn't a high priest.  AFAIK.

When I was in college (Christian college, all girls' dorm) we had a plant named Floyd.  When the RA came in one night, she accidentally banged the door too hard, which caused the plant to rattle on the window sill.  She heard a noise by the window and asked, "What was that?"  I said, "Oh, it was nothing.  Floyd almost fell out the window, but he's OK."  Ha!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Ds14 told me a while ago that he was worried that he wouldn't be able to finish Fahrenheit 451 by his Thursday literature class.  I asked him how much time he spent reading today, and then how much time he spent playing Magic: The Gathering with his sister and rewatching Endgame.  I could see the lightbulb go off in his head.  :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I'm back from doing all the shopping. Remind me to stop letting my freezer/fridge/pantry get almost totally emnpty before going shopping. It is expensive and tiring. I never let it get to where there isn't something available like sandwiches or cereal (except when we move). Yeah- 1 corn dog and a frozen banana in the freezer is still pretty empty.

EdPo: (probably should go make this a thread, but I'm afraid of the shame balls because it is so lame.

I'm not happy about our line-up. I think it is too light. School for a ASD 15 (more like 11), 14, and 11 year old should take longer than an hour, right? They cruise through but I don't think they are actually learning anything.

Math: Saxon 76 and 54; Grammar: Hake 5 and 4; Spell/Vocab: WW 6-7 and R&S Spell 4/WW4; Lit: read aloud The Hobbit for now; Sci: RSO Chem 1; and read at least 1 chap from their own book of choice

Scotsman did the 2nd RSO Chem lab Sunday afternoon. It was a big one with lots of pouring and mixing and foaming. ASD Boy threw a gasket because "School shouldn't happen on Sunday!" and refused to attend.

As I said: pretty lame, I know. 

And 4 days until Son 2 leaves the nest!

Does not sound lame to me.

I know we have somr super academic families on the board, but...I remember my own school days and the actual engaged learning that happened on an average day was minimal. 

At least you are doing schoolwork. I'm still trying to pull myself together to start planning.

Edited by maize
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I'm watching a documentary on Teotihuacan. I expect there will be something about high priests in there, but they aren't around the phones.

I am pretty sure I do not want a high priest from Teotihuacan near my phone. At least the Israelite high priests stuck to animal sacrifices.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Ds14 told me a while ago that he was worried that he wouldn't be able to finish Fahrenheit 451 by his Thursday literature class.  I asked him how much time he spent reading today, and then how much time he spent playing Magic: The Gathering with his sister and rewatching Endgame.  I could see the lightbulb go off in his head.  :laugh:

Could you come to my house?  Please?  

• Like 4