Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

On the Russian thing:

First off, SPEND NO MONEY YET. I have been told consistently by people I respect that Russian is a hard language to learn. We are fortunate in that it appears that my short person has an ear for it (As opposed to Latin, which, given the option to drop after the mandatory four years of high school study, the short person dropped like a hot rock.) Therefore, I would spend NO MONEY until there was a more deeply demonstrated interest. (Granted, this is not what I did, but I think I dodged a bullet. Also, remember that I was working back then and we are also the recipients of generous grant funding.) Russian is a bit hard to find, so it can be challenging and pricey.

There are free programs available online, sponsored by the Russian tourism board, or something. Also, Mango languages, if it's free through your library. I have links bookmarked somewhere. I have been stupid busy doing stupid things, but keep harassing me to find them for you. I am pretty sure that you could set up a one or two semester trial period to figure out if your short person is committed.

After that, I would try to find a class with a qualified teacher. Languages must be spoken and shared to be learned. There is no self-study program that can replicate the human interaction needed to really absorb the new language. We used a class our first year with a teacher whom I would NOT recommend (and no longer with that school), but have been with Julia Denne ever since. She is malto fabuloso.

My two cents. That and five bucks'll get you a cup of coffee. 🙂

Oh, no!  I spent money!!!  willy_nilly LOL

DS is doing Russian, but he's in 7th not high school and he's taking it slow.  I'm learning Arabic on duolingo. 🙂  So he's on his own. (!)

I ordered him a Russian Handwriting workbook https://www.amazon.com/Russian-Handwriting-Propisi-Natasha-Alexandrova/dp/0982304285 and Reading Russian Workbook for Children: Total Beginner (Russian Step By Step for Children) (Volume 1) https://www.amazon.com/Reading-Russian-Workbook-Children-Beginner/dp/1500817260/ref=sr_1_1?crid=27OH5CMIEYNNO&keywords=russian+step+by+step+for+children&qid=1565974894&s=books&sprefix=russian+step+by+step+for+childre%2Cstripbooks%2C207&sr=1-1  which is for 7-14 year olds.

There are audio files you can download for free to go with the workbook https://russianstepbystep.com/.

We tried some of the other free resources and library offerings, but he they weren't really working.  This, so far, is getting done.  I'm just looking for exposure so he has a head start come high school. We'll find a teacher if he sticks with Russian past this year.

• Like 5

#youmightbeahomeschoolerif you're reading a church newsletter with the abbreviation MCT for Multi-Cultural Team and you see Michael Clay Thompson every time.

I'm a little bit sunburned. And tired.

It occurs to me that I am not in possession of the ingredients to make dinner for either of the next two days. The Food Fairy didn't come. Must be on vacation with the Housekeeping Fairy. *sigh*

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

GLASSES HAVE BEEN FOUND!!!!!!!!!

Beside the backyard neighbor's new fence.  Discovered while DH was (very carefully) mowing the lawn.  

DS12's predictable response?   "Ohhhhh.  Yeah........ the fence."   

Frames are slightly askew but repairable.  

#thankful

https://findorbit.com/products/orbit-glasses

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

The only Russian I remember is yes, no, please, and thank you.

That's about what I remember. 

Plus rabbit. Because we learned a song about a rabbit. I don't remember the rest of the song.

I took Russian in 8th grade.

• Like 4

I don’t know Russian.

I use cabbage in beerocks.

The only rabbit song I know is about little Bunny Foo-Foo who hopped through the forest, scooping up the field mice and hopped the on the head. Apparently it’s not PC to sing that song anymore.

I love Mexican food.

I have a lot of books.

Tonight’s installment of the Marvel Summer Film Festival is..... Guardians of the Galaxy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

I can’t sleep - which is rare for me. Hopefully Jean is getting my sleep tonight! (Camp!)

I am planning on going to bed early tonight.

One (new) staff member flaked out at the last minute.

One very reliable staff member is at the ER with a son with a broken leg.

This kind of thing always seems to happen. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

Good morning!

Every night for the past week I've been woken with a terrible cramp in some obscure muscle in my right leg.  Add that to the PF in my left foot and I make quite the comical hobbling scene in the middle of the night.

The Four Youngers have orchestra auditions this morning.  Dd16 has writing club this afternoon. Meanwhile, Dh is driving dd21 to the university to start her semester. 

Coffee!

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!!!!

DH and I just got back from our bike ride. Third Saturday in a row. Yay!! I think it’s becoming routine.

It’s gonna be a hot one today. Not 108 like yesterday. Just a balmy 102. Break out the sweaters and pumpkin spice.😂 I think I will work outside a bit this morning and then when it’s hot in the afternoon I may go to the Afsa and do some housework. I also need to figure out a school schedule for the girls. School starts on Tuesday.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Why? It was on Barney, for goodness' sake. I mean, if it's good enough for a grown man in a purple dinosaur suit...

It promotes violence. I am NOT kidding. It’s the whole hitting field mice thing.  The last time I heard it sung with a group of children they changed the words so little Bunny Foo-foo was kissing them or patting them nicely or some such nonsense.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am planning on going to bed early tonight.

One (new) staff member flaked out at the last minute.

One very reliable staff member is at the ER with a son with a broken leg.

This kind of thing always seems to happen. 

I’ll be praying for you, Jeannie.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

It promotes violence. I am NOT kidding. It’s the whole hitting field mice thing.  The last time I heard it sung with a group of children they changed the words so little Bunny Foo-foo was kissing them or patting them nicely or some such nonsense.

Yes, it is now kissing them on the head in the versions I am hearing...which probably equates to sexual harassment or something so...

Edited by maize
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

The entire point of the song is that FooFoo gets punished for continuing to bop them when the Good Fairy has warned him to stop! He winds up in the cooking pot.

That's like saying The Boy Who Cried Wolf promotes playing pranks. That's the opposite of the message.

I'm meeting with the pastor of Oddball Church tomorrow before the service. Unless Current Church's new minister is pretty much a miracle worker, I think I'm going to be an oddball... I haven't been back to Current Church lately. IDK what to do with DS, though.

• Like 5

We're back from auditions.  I'm hunkered down in my room trying to ward off a major headache.  Have to leave in 15 minutes to bring dd16&13 to writer's club.  Dd21 is at the university town's uniform shop trying to find a pair of nursing shoes.  Nursing school supplies and fees are expensive.  Svengo.  

• Like 4

Afternoon. I am back from work. Everyone wants to talk to me. I've been listening to talking all day. I'm trying to be very patient.

I have two new story ideas and worked up pitches for both. I introduced them to various readers and writers today. I asked which one I should write first--I could go either way because they both need character development first. So far everyone says, "Write them both. I want to read them tomorrow. Thanks." Sigh.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I am back from the Afsa. What a night mare.

But not quite as bad as the nightmare we had in the garage this morning. Someone (my Baby) left the deep freeze door open all night and everything, and I mean everything was thawed. Not just soft, thawed. Bags of frozen berries, liquified and dripping and in puddles on the floor. A container of ice cream that was put in on its side.... now a puddle in the freezer. It was so awful. We threw almost everything out. The Otter pops could be refrozen, but that was about it. I don’t think she did it on purpose, but it has happened before (just not to that extent and not when it is 100 degrees in the garage)  and we have talked ad nauseam about making sure the freezer door is pushed closed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I am back from the Afsa. What a night mare.

But not quite as bad as the nightmare we had in the garage this morning. Someone (my Baby) left the deep freeze door open all night and everything, and I mean everything was thawed. Not just soft, thawed. Bags of frozen berries, liquified and dripping and in puddles on the floor. A container of ice cream that was put in on its side.... now a puddle in the freezer. It was so awful. We threw almost everything out. The Otter pops could be refrozen, but that was about it. I don’t think she did it on purpose, but it has happened before (just not to that extent and not when it is 100 degrees in the garage)  and we have talked ad nauseam about making sure the freezer door is pushed closed.

Oh no, I'm so sorry!

My book organization project is actually moving along nicely; I guess that means I may actually have to tackle organizing non book stuff soon. That's more challenging since it's not just a matter of putting everything on the right shelf. I need to figure out how and where to store stuff.

• Like 6