Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Garden question: mint Is this something I could reasonably expect to grow in Houston? Will it take over? We have a little garden plot in the back yard I would like to try to use. Ants are the biggest enemy, though.

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My understanding is that mint will grow pretty much everywhere.  😉  Yes, it will take over unless you put it in a pot. 

Mint.... mint... mint. Grow it in a pot like an annual. Let it grow one season, throw it out, get another start next season. It will break the pot. 

• Like 3

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Fresno has an awesome zoo. They are making it more natural.... so instead of animals in cages they are working toward large multi-animal exhibits. It is amazing how the safari exhibit is designed. As your eye sweeps across the exhibit it looks like rolling hills, but there are really deep ditches that separate the lions from the gazelles. It’s pretty cool.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Garden question: mint Is this something I could reasonably expect to grow in Houston? Will it take over? We have a little garden plot in the back yard I would like to try to use. Ants are the biggest enemy, though.

I have mint in a large pot.  It was growing like gangbusters for a couple years and then at the end of last summer, just died dead.  I noticed last week that there are 3 teeny tiny little mint sprouts coming up.  The Mint that Lived!

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

FYI Justin's PB packets are much cheaper on Amazon than at the grocery store.  I know you were dying to know this.

I prefer Adam's no stir natural peanut butter but there has been none on the shelves for over a week.  I finally got some Justin's.  Not bad at all.  In fact, it's pretty good.  But it's not my Adam's chunky! 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I prefer Adam's no stir natural peanut butter but there has been none on the shelves for over a week.  I finally got some Justin's.  Not bad at all.  In fact, it's pretty good.  But it's not my Adam's chunky! 

I don't think I've seen Adams, but haven't looked real close.  You know, I don't think I've purchased chunky peanut butter in years. Probably Someone complained and I stuck with creamy.  I usually get the natural kind at Aldi, but Justin's packets are for hiking trail lunches.

Adam needs to get a move on!!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

Good morning! A blessed Palm Sunday to you!

Ds24 was given the reins on putting the recorded church service on the website today (the consultant guy was teaching him last week) so we are hoping everything goes well this morning.  I think we will all watch together even though half of us went through the whole service yesterday.

No one else in the family has gotten sick after dd11's episode last Sunday.  That is very rare, so I'm wondering if it was food poisoning or something not related to a stomach virus.

Dd17 apparently has some major ninja skills - she can make a weapon out of a toothpaste cap.  (Somehow managed to cut her finger with it. :D)

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

Palm Sunday blessings to each of you!  We have online church in about 30 minutes.  Our Dds sent videos of themselves doing Scripture readings for it, and I'm so grateful to the team of volunteers who are working so hard to make our services happen. 

Our expired tabletop daffodil is donating its "fronds" for the cause.  🙂🌿

• Like 3

Good morning, ITT. I have my cracker and grape juice at hand and am ready for church to start. I've spent a lot of this week in bed, but am hardly coughing at all today even without using the inhaler yet. 🙂 Happy Sunday.

• Like 7

Morning.  I did nothing productive yesterday so today I need to do some work.   I'm going to run by the science center and do some yoga and some cleaning/organizing.   Come home, work on some presentations and set up school.   Maybe some laundry in there somewhere.  

I'm changing my algebra class to sending them the presentation to review ahead of time then doing separate sessions with each of them.   It's too hard to keep them all on the same level otherwise. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Morning.  I did nothing productive yesterday so today I need to do some work.   I'm going to run by the science center and do some yoga and some cleaning/organizing.   Come home, work on some presentations and set up school.   Maybe some laundry in there somewhere.  

I'm changing my algebra class to sending them the presentation to review ahead of time then doing separate sessions with each of them.   It's too hard to keep them all on the same level otherwise. 

That sounds like a great idea!  Though certainly takes more of your time.  I hope your students appreciate it and work hard to show it!  

• Like 1

I got Some Things done.  I swept and mopped the kitchen floor, and then went to have Palm Sunday service, and by the time I got back to the kitchen it looked like I hadn't even mopped.  How does that happen?  All humans were upstairs with me and all animals were in their homes. We managed to run Wally, and he did a great job even though he was really overwhelmed with work since we hadn't run him in almost 2 weeks.  I planted some flowers and the 2 tomato plants, and did some touch-up sweeping and practiced mandolin.  I'm up to Cluck Old Hen! 😄

Dh asked me about puppy names.  I suggested Methuselah, and somehow that eventually morphed into Meth Lab Sally.  We are going to need help with this. 😄

Time to put together Easter treats to send dd21.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Time to put together Easter treats to send dd21.

Points for quoting self.

Dd21 just called and asked if she could come home for Easter weekend. Of course!! Yay!  I think it is really hard for her now that most of the campus has gone home.  So we will keep her treats here and send them back to school with her. And possibly dh's car, since he doesn't need it right now.

• Like 4

Busy for me today. I got home from work yesterday and got my decon done, but no laundry had been done despite people being home to do it, so at least one person in the house got to dry off with a tea towel after their shower. The laundry was running when I got up. Hehehe.

I'm cooking today and catching up. Slowly. Funny how I can be gone one day and nothing gets done, and I have to do twice the work on Sunday.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

So, the area on my shoulder where she took the mole off is starting to itch. And then I absent-mindedly scratch it. And then die because it really hurts bad.

Can you put benedryl on it to help stop the itching?

• Like 1

I tried grafting some twigs onto my mountain ash today--some edible mountain ash varieties and some shipova, which is supposed to be a cross between a mountain ash and a pear. My first attempt at grafting was last year and none of the grafts took; I'm hoping for better luck this year.

Hey I got a booyah! Haven't had one recently.

Edited by maize
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Would that work?? It’s itching because of the scab.

Benadryl seems to help all kinds of itches for me. Worth trying at least! If you don't have cream you can crush a pill and make a paste with it.

• Like 1

The other thing that temporarily relieves itching is heat--I'll run the itchy part under hot water if that is doable, if not use a hot washcloth (our hot water isn't usually hot enough for this, I'll put the wet washcloth in the microwave). Heat applied to the itchy spot makes it itch like crazy but you only have to leave it there for a few seconds--once the heat is removed the itch usually goes away for at least a half hour or so. I don't know why this works, my theory is that the heat makes all the itch nerves fire at once then they take time to reset.

• Like 1

Hi. I was hoping to make some masks for the pharmacy workers. But I have limited stamina so it’s been taking me forever to get materials together. Only I looked today in my sewing stuff and I have zero elastic or ribbon. And I have been told that JoAnn’s etc is out. Sigh. I was at the pharmacy today and half of the workers had their own masks already. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Hi. I was hoping to make some masks for the pharmacy workers. But I have limited stamina so it’s been taking me forever to get materials together. Only I looked today in my sewing stuff and I have zero elastic or ribbon. And I have been told that JoAnn’s etc is out. Sigh. I was at the pharmacy today and half of the workers had their own masks already. 

It’s the thought that counts.

• Like 4

Morning.  It's Monday so that means I need to set up school because I didn't do it over the weekend.   No big deal since the kids won't wake up for hours and it's not like we have to be anywhere at a specific time today.   I do have to go to the science center to check on animals and continue the clean/organizing.   I should do some cleaning at home too.  And I brought home games so we could play but haven't yet.  And it looks like it's going to be nice so we should walk.   I signed up for another 100 mile challenge but only have 1 mile so far  I have until June to get it done.   My ankle has been hurting, I think due to rainy weather.

Quarantine sucks but I'm still amazed at people around here violating it.  A local Friendly's had a ton of people hanging at on their patio yesterday, and I drove by a park where large groups were playing tennis and basketball.  About 10 cars in the lot and it's not that big of a park.  Little kids and parents and teens.   Seriously, we are very close to NYC here and don't have great numbers of our own, why don't people get it?

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Morning.  It's Monday so that means I need to set up school because I didn't do it over the weekend.   No big deal since the kids won't wake up for hours and it's not like we have to be anywhere at a specific time today.   I do have to go to the science center to check on animals and continue the clean/organizing.   I should do some cleaning at home too.  And I brought home games so we could play but haven't yet.  And it looks like it's going to be nice so we should walk.   I signed up for another 100 mile challenge but only have 1 mile so far  I have until June to get it done.   My ankle has been hurting, I think due to rainy weather.

Quarantine sucks but I'm still amazed at people around here violating it.  A local Friendly's had a ton of people hanging at on their patio yesterday, and I drove by a park where large groups were playing tennis and basketball.  About 10 cars in the lot and it's not that big of a park.  Little kids and parents and teens.   Seriously, we are very close to NYC here and don't have great numbers of our own, why don't people get it?

You still have a Friendly's?!?!  It was one of my favorite restaurants while growing up.  Ours closed several years ago, but I hadn't been able to eat there for several years before that because of my wheat allergy.

I used to love their fish sandwiches.  And French Fries.  And the ice cream!!

I am happily nostalgic... :)

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Junie said:

You still have a Friendly's?!?!  It was one of my favorite restaurants while growing up.  Ours closed several years ago, but I hadn't been able to eat there for several years before that because of my wheat allergy.

I used to love their fish sandwiches.  And French Fries.  And the ice cream!!

I am happily nostalgic... 🙂

I know a lot of them around here have closed down but evidently there are still about 10 of them in Northern NJ.    This particular one is right up the road from a major hospital that is getting overwhelmed right now, which makes it even worse. 

• Like 3

I may have to go to the grocery store today. We have plenty of food in the house but I am out of bananas and chocolate milk, therefore my two year old is convinced there is nothing edible in the house and wants to revert to full time nursing.

Need to wean this child. That would be easier if he would eat more food.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

The air conditioning service guy is here.  Dh does not have the ability to just let a service person do their job without going into a 3-hour analysis on whatever it is the person is about to do, as though they didn't know their job already.  I think it's how dh processes things.  I need to drink my coffee STAT.  The service guy brought his adorable dog with him.  It looks like a small collie.  What is that, a sheltie?

I did not sign anyone up for zoom scout merit badges this week so that will eliminate some of our scheduling/device  frustration this week.

Coffee!

• Like 5

Well, looks like we need a new air conditioning system, which doesn't surprise me since what we have is 25 years old.  The guy said he would do what he could to fix what we have and search for the leak and etc. but couldn't repair the compression unit which has issues and is so old that there aren't parts for it any more.  Bah.  Good news is that the girls got to pet the puppy and are all smiles even through viola practice and math lessons.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5