Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 minute ago, Spudater said:

I don’t want to Monday. 
I don’t know if it’s the pregnancy hormones or the pandemic stuff but I feel like I’m slipping into the “slogging through molasses” level of depression. I told myself this pregnancyI would really prioritize my mental health but that has been really difficult right now. 

(((Spudz))) Even I am having a hard time today - and I don't normally have those struggles and I'm not pregnant.  I think I will exercise and see if that helps.  I will also putz around in my Back Deck Garden for a bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

No clue, but I do know it was like $3000 just for EXTRA fence for ours.  Most was included in the build, but we wanted ours to come up closer to the front of the house and enclose the air conditioner unit, so it was an extra $3000 just for that. 

Yes, I was thinking a couple thousand at least.

35 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I don’t want to Monday. 
I don’t know if it’s the pregnancy hormones or the pandemic stuff but I feel like I’m slipping into the “slogging through molasses” level of depression. I told myself this pregnancyI would really prioritize my mental health but that has been really difficult right now. 

(((Spuds)))  End of pregnancy (last 6-8 weeks) always felt that way to me.  School dwindled to very little that last month.  And that was without a pandemic.  The good news is it always felt so much easier to get going again a couple weeks after birth.  

• Like 1

Happy Monday!  Queen's favorite day.  

The kids built a mall out of legos and it has happily occupied them since breakfast, so I moved school to afternoon.   We do what it takes to fight boredom around here. 

DD11 was given 7 books for her birthday party on Friday.  She's knocked off 6 of them and is halfway through the seventh (Little Women).  We may very well be quarantining ourselves to a high school degree by age 12. 

• Like 6

We got our books out of quarantine today. This is one of the rare times when I wish we did have a Kindle, because it's hard to read on my phone, and books are now not getting delivered as quickly due to prioritizing essentials. But we have our new books for this month, and I have a nice set of books on my shelves already. We'll manage. 

I'm planning a tomato and pepper garden on the sunny side of the house because the boy has all my other garden spots devoted to pumpkins. I also have some cute little cantaloupes and squash I'd like to plant, but I think I may not have side yard space for them. Maybe if the boy expands the pumpkin patch? My yard is going to be full of garden this year. Very glad we had the seeds from last year.

Writing a ton, too. Might as well. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

We got our books out of quarantine today. This is one of the rare times when I wish we did have a Kindle, because it's hard to read on my phone, and books are now not getting delivered as quickly due to prioritizing essentials. But we have our new books for this month, and I have a nice set of books on my shelves already. We'll manage. 

I'm planning a tomato and pepper garden on the sunny side of the house because the boy has all my other garden spots devoted to pumpkins. I also have some cute little cantaloupes and squash I'd like to plant, but I think I may not have side yard space for them. Maybe if the boy expands the pumpkin patch? My yard is going to be full of garden this year. Very glad we had the seeds from last year.

Writing a ton, too. Might as well. 

I have the KIndle app on my laptop.   And my phone but I generally read on my laptop.

We ordered seeds but it looks like they won't get here for a few more weeks which is going to be late for starting them around here.   

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Edpo: why do you HAVE to do science labs for high school?

Because science is not just a body of knowledge or a method of thinking, but a physical process for testing ideas. That's what distinguishes it from, say, philosophy.

Guess what? I went for a walk today with DS! I went four blocks! I hardly coughed at all! I am getting better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I read all evening. I need to get through these books because I ordered another one.😩😩 I am not doing well. It’s not that I don’t like the books I am already reading, but, as Ikslo pointed out, they all require thought. I’m not sure if the one I ordered is going to require a lot of thought. It’s about Coco Chanel and the European jet-setters on the French Riviera in the 1930’s.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I read all evening. I need to get through these books because I ordered another one.😩😩 I am not doing well. It’s not that I don’t like the books I am already reading, but, as Ikslo pointed out, they all require thought. I’m not sure if the one I ordered is going to require a lot of thought. It’s about Coco Chanel and the European jet-setters on the French Riviera in the 1930’s.

I'm about to finish re-reading my favorite Jane Austens.  I either have to re-read a couple of my less favorites or move on to something else.  I really like the comfort of re-reading though.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I have the KIndle app on my laptop.   And my phone but I generally read on my laptop.

We ordered seeds but it looks like they won't get here for a few more weeks which is going to be late for starting them around here.   

That's what I've been hearing all over. People can't get seeds! But we bought most of our stuff last year, and we still had viable seed for this year. Plus the boy ordered most of the new things he wanted in January, I think. Mostly pumpkins and gourds, but he has some peppers too.

• Like 3

More revision today and reading. I have some books due back that I'm reading on my phone with the Libby app. It's not bad, but I prefer hard copy. Boys are doing school already. DH took off, and I think he's working on dishes, bless him. If he sticks around long enough, he might start cleaning? Because I don't want to do it.

• Like 4

Good morning!

It is raining.

I am still reading Tales From Out There.  I watched the 2019 Barkley documentary on Nicky Spinks while exercising this morning.  

We will sign up for Philmont today.  Just a basic deposit due.  I will need to start hiking with a weighted backpack.  

Dh has an appointment with a new PCP this morning.  He was thinking about skipping it, but I told him he'd better go as long as they didn't cancel it - there was a 6 month wait just for this appointment!

Coffee!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I'm about to finish re-reading my favorite Jane Austens.  I either have to re-read a couple of my less favorites or move on to something else.  I really like the comfort of re-reading though.  

You know, I could never get in to Jane Austen. She makes me very impatient.🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

You know, I could never get in to Jane Austen. She makes me very impatient.🤣

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Yes.

I have gained an "appreciation" for her novels, but I wouldn't pick one up to read for fun. 🤫

Well, in her own words, "You must be the best judge of your own happiness."  <insert appropriate facial expression here>  🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

...as for Oldest: Today could go either way. He has to write a paragraph in English. The world as we know it could get totally upended by this. 

He might as well do it since we're mostly upended anyway.  😜

4 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

This Fall could literally break me. I'll be sleep deprived homeschooling Oldest, potty training Youngest, and being everything to a newborn. I'm trying to pretent this doesn't exist. Otherwise, I might just have a panic attack.

It's best not to think that far ahead.  And if you do think about fall, start envisioning good things - how much better you'll feel when you're not pregnant anymore, that you'll wait to potty train until youngest is so ready he'll just potty train himself, how peaceful it will be to sit and nurse the baby, how much you will streamline school work and consistently, but gradually work on skills while nourishing the heart and mind with good stories and interesting information, how you will enact an afternoon quiet time while everyone naps or reads (including your own nap).    

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Why am I drooling over Apologia's elementary science series AGAIN? No comprehension questions or quizzes. Just reading, experiments, and lots of pretty colorful pictures in a hardcover textbook that would look sooo pretty on my bookshelf. Ugh. No, just no. No, no, no.

Do you mind if I ask why it's a no?  I never did comprehension questions or quizzes in elementary.  (Says the person with one college STEM major and another one possibly going after a STEM major.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Why am I drooling over Apologia's elementary science series AGAIN? No comprehension questions or quizzes. Just reading, experiments, and lots of pretty colorful pictures in a hardcover textbook that would look sooo pretty on my bookshelf. Ugh. No, just no. No, no, no.

Apologia is all we've done. Astronomy because he liked it, Flying and Swimming to compliment our nature walks, and he's read Chemistry and Physics for fun. I think they're wonderful and my kids have learned tons, but you can get the notebooks if you think that will suit your needs better. There are comprehension questions at the end of each chapter.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

We love Apologia. You need the Notebooking journals to get the full experience. I have tried many other curriculum and keep coming back to Apologia.

• Like 2

My new mandolin method book came today, so I practiced for a bit.  I think it will be good - came with online audio files that will be helpful.  

So one thing that is never explained is right arm position.  Everyone will tell you how to hold the pick, but where is your arm supposed to be?  Does it rest on the strings behind the bridge?  Hover in the air above? I finally found one teacher's advice in a google book, and it makes sense - maybe it's so obvious that I should be able to figure it out myself.  🤪

If you are a mandolin player, please tell me the answer.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

So I've had some items for sale on ebay that have been listed for over a year.  Someone bought an item today, so now I have to go to the post office. 😞  Sigh.

Since I'm going anyway, I'm going to send some care packages to family/friends.

Our post office is tiny and not usually very busy, ime.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

You're supposed to be helping me NOT buy all the things. I'm already buying Notgrass and Novel-Ties for next year! Come on, Krissi!

Hmm, I do plan on having Oldest read the chapter in our Apologia physics/chem book on electricity since he just finished a unit about electricity in his R&S science. Maybe he'll enjoy it and change his mind?

TBH, the chem/physics book is my least favorite. We loved loved loved the zoology books. And we are enjoying the Astronomy book. We are going to do Botony next year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spudater said:

We had an earthquake. Pretty soon we might have to design an Apocalyptic Disaster Bingo card. 
Seriously, though it felt very mild. It would have even seemed kind of cool if we weren’t already on high alert around here. 

i felt distinctly shaken up by the quake we had down here a couple of weeks ago--just seemed like a bit much on top of the pandemic...

• Like 3

Coffee is a little strong this morning, fyi.  

Junie, gorgeous dress!  Congrats to your dd!!

Servo, though I find much to like in the Apologia series, we rarely wanted to spend an entire year (or even most of it) on one topic, so I guess I agree with your ds.  I owned a couple of the books over the years and the only one I kept afterwards was the astronomy. 

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, maize said:

i felt distinctly shaken up by the quake we had down here a couple of weeks ago--just seemed like a bit much on top of the pandemic...

Yeah - they are still working on disaster relief from the tornado that came through, what - three weeks ago now?  Seems much longer than that.

• Like 2

I finished Sense and Sensibility last night.  I have SWB's History of the Ancient World on my nightstand, but I'm not feeling it.  I might re-read a biography of Churchill.  Or re-start Birth of Britain.  Or try an American history text I have on hand.  Or maybe I'll browse my parents bookshelves later today.....  

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

17A

I have a dermatologist appointment today. I had a melanoma removed 10 years ago.  My cousin actually found it on the inside of my right ankle, my GP did a punch biopsy and when they found it was melanoma they referred me to this dermatologist who dug a big hole in my ankle. She did a pretty amazing job covering up her work because 10 years later and you can’t even see the scar. Over the years I’ve had a few henky moles removed, but no melanomas. I still get nervous going in, though.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I finished Sense and Sensibility last night.  I have SWB's History of the Ancient World on my nightstand, but I'm not feeling it.  I might re-read a biography of Churchill.  Or re-start Birth of Britain.  Or try an American history text I have on hand.  Or maybe I'll browse my parents bookshelves later today.....  

I am still working on finishing the three books I got going before I dig into the one that just came yesterday.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good Morning.   I've been reading super light paranormal romance.  I can't seem to concentrate deeply.    

Dh is going down to see his mom this weekend.   He asked today if I was okay with him staying until next Thursday.  Her 85th birthday is Wednesday.   I think I'll actually get more done without him here since I have to be quiet while he's on conference calls.   

• Like 2