Menu

Ignore this thread!

4 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I finished Sense and Sensibility last night.  I have SWB's History of the Ancient World on my nightstand, but I'm not feeling it.  I might re-read a biography of Churchill.  Or re-start Birth of Britain.  Or try an American history text I have on hand.  Or maybe I'll browse my parents bookshelves later today.....  

Or, maybe I want to buy a biography of John Quincy Adams.  Hmmmm..... Kindle or used paperback?  I guess Kindle is probably better at this point, though I usually prefer real books.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The blues make me happy.

I thought I knew the Break My Stride song, then I took this to be you calling it Blues, so I thought it was a different song since I don't think that song is Blues?   It did end up being the song I thought it was that I remember from the 80's.   So, is that Blues or were you referring to a different song?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I thought I knew the Break My Stride song, then I took this to be you calling it Blues, so I thought it was a different song since I don't think that song is Blues?   It did end up being the song I thought it was that I remember from the 80's.   So, is that Blues or were you referring to a different song?

I think Jean was being random - but we really could use some blues around here.  Maybe she'll post her favorite...

• Like 2

I signed up for another virtual race challenge.  I did one in October that was a virtual 5K, then I did one January to March that was 100 mile challenge, now I'm doing one that goes April through June.   It's another 100 mile challenge, which will be a little harder since we can't go to the gym anymore, but that's part of the reason why I want to do it.  I need an incentive to make sure I'm still exercising.  Dh thinks these are lame, but I really do find them motivating.  Mainly because I would feel guilty getting/wearing the tshirt if I don't actually finish the challenge, so it pushes me to do it.  Outside accountability, at least sort of.  It's all on the honor system.   There's a Facebook page that posts pop up on my newsfeed which also helps remind me that I"m trying to do this.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Recovering from illness requires extra napping.  How was the dermatologist?

Very good. I saw the PA. With my history, I usually only see the doctor, but I decided to not make a big deal. She seemed very thorough and competent. I told her I was not a “keep an eye on it” kind of person. I am a “get this thing off my body” kind of person, because as my BFF says, “if it’s not there, it can’t turn into anything.” So, she took something off my shoulder to biopsy. She also looked at my face and told me I had rosacea and gave me a prescription for that, so I am pretty satisfied.

• Like 4

Good morning.

I don't care if the calendar says it's Thursday.  So far it is an accursed Monday of great magnitude.  And I can't escape to my room because dh is in there on s conference csll explaining why he was up until 4am with people in London and Hong Kong fixing a problem with something stupid.  Dd17 is panicking because schoology is down and she can't get the zoom meeting IDs.

Must fninsh coffee and putz around in garden if I can get drewssed.  Krissi, my iPsd is being a butt. 😡 

COFFEE!!

Butt Booyah!

#isaidbutt

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Thursday!!! I gave up trying to figure out what the heck day of the Apocalypse it is. Who really cares anyhow. Basically we’re caught in some blip of the space-time continuum, so there you go.

I’m sorry about your iPad, Susan. Mine is doing well right now, but who knows when it’s going to start acting up.....

Today is our last day of school. Spring Break starts tomorrow.  We’re supposed to get a big storm this weekend. That was unexpected. I’m getting a little depressed about the Easter Season. It’s hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that Sunday is Palm Sunday. I need to figure something out to make the week meaningful.

• Like 3

Morning.  Got up before 9 for a change, had breakfast, ran to the science center, did yoga, cleaned some stuff, came home.  Was going to take a walk before lunch but they are patching a hole at the end of our road and it smells like asphalt.   Plus the guy doing it is in a full hazmat suit with mask and it would feel weird to just casually walk on by.  Our roads are really narrow with no sidewalks so I wouldn't be able to get more than 10 feet away from where they are working and that's with walking through someones back yard.

I've been sorting legos the past few days.  Now I'm spraying each group with clorox spray before putting them back in their bins.  Today I started sorting out games.  Pieces were all mixed up all over the place.  I found a bunch of pieces in the lego bin, there's monopoly money in Life, a bag full of Life and Monopoly money in Money Bags, and who knows what else.   I have three versions of Monopoly - deluxe, regular, and cheaters - and I didn't even bother to start that sorting job yet.  I have to figure out how I want the games when I open up again.   Right now we have a break room that has a table, drawing supplies, lego wall and games.   All of that is moving to the lobby since the break room is turning into a computer classroom.   I'm hoping since parents will have no choice but to actually see what their kids are doing that things may stay less messy and better organized.   Right now parents of early elementary kids would hang in the lobby while the kids played in the break room, which I"m sure contributed to messes.   If not, I may move the games and only allow them to be used for organized events.    Maybe I should put a sign?  How would you word a sign saying something like - make sure your kids clean up after themselves and put the game pieces away correctly?  And maybe something about, please only get out one game at a time and don't mix up the pieces?    

• Like 3

2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

I'm counting from March 8 (first day we stayed home because DS had a sore throat), so it's day 26.

whinepo: I'm so tired of this cough. My house is a mess. My husband is still in his pajamas. Etc. /whinepo

I am in a viscous circle where my bloodsugars aren’t super high but aren’t where they should be. My diet and exercise haven’t changed too much. But I have been fighting “something “ since the beginning of February (a virus, my chronic illness or allergies or more likely a combo of all three at times). Higher bloodsugars mean that my weight is creeping up. 😢 

My fairly constant symptoms have been - flu like aches (which might just be fibro since I've had those 24/7/365 days for the past 30 years), swollen ears, throat, chest tightness, a non-productive cough which occasionally has been phlegmy, fatigue (that could be fibro too), feeling like it's hard to breathe sometimes but my pulse-ox shows good numbers.  No fever though. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
typo
  • Sad 5

Interesting observation:  I managed to score a pack of tp- a brand we've used for years. But it's definitely a different texture-less soft- than it was before. I wonder if this is from stepping up production?  Maybe skipping some steps to make it go faster?  Not that I am complaining, mind you. I am just happy to have it!  

Random musings. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am listening to Peter, Paul and Mary.  Gentle folky protest songs seem appropriate somehow. 

I approve!!  My love of Peter Paul and Mary has already been well documented in this thread.  But it makes me happy that you're listening to them.  😍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I went to Aldi and Publix.  Grocery shopping is now very awkward.  I need to look at the labels of everything that I don't normally buy, which means touching stuff and then usually putting it back.  I try to avoid it as much as possible, and try to move a package with my elbow or something to get the ingredients list into view, but it's worse if I then knock several items on the floor.  No one had TP or paper towels or refrigerated biscuits.  I suppose I could have looked elsewhere but I was tired of stores.

I bought a hummingbird feeder at Aldi - we've never had one before, but we do get hummingbirds around here once in a while.

The girls made themselves a snack of oatmeal with raisins and chocolate chips. 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yay for hummingbird feeders. My cat scared off all the hummingbirds. We moved the feeder out of her reach (the feeder was right in front of the window and Misty would sit on the window sill and watch for the little hummers. They didn’t realize she was inside).

• Like 3

Monday eventually turned into a Thursday.  We went for a walk around the neighborhood - it's a perfect spring day.  Dd21 accepted a summer job.  I made up a recipe for avocado chocolate ice cream with stuff I had in the house.  It's Very Good.  And something I can eat on my meal plan and has lots of protein.  Dh went to sleep after dinner so he can get up at 11:00 and monitor work issues.  Time to shoo the kids into bed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Now you know you have yo share that recipe. It sounds interesting.

OK - I apologize in advance for some of the more awkward ingredients. (#calories/# grams protein)

1 11oz Chocolate Premiere Protein shake (160/30)

1/2C low fat cottage cheese (80/12)

2T whipped cream cheese (50/1)

4.5 oz avocado chunks, frozen (203/3)

1/3c unsweetened cocoa powder (65/6)

2T almond or PB2 powder (45/6)

2T Pyure (granulated) 

Blend until smooth (will be about soft-serve consistency); freeze in silicone muffin cups. Makes about 2C: 598 cal./55g protein -- 6 portions: cal./9g protein each

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spudater said:

The library near me has a sign that says something like, “Clean up is an important part of play time!  Big people, please help your little people remember to clean up when they are done playing!”

I like it!  That's the perfect balance for telling people they are responsible for helping their kids without being too obnoxious or pushy.

• Like 4

Ugh.  I call my dad about once a week/once every other week, leave a message because they never answer the phone, and almost never hear back.  I think I posted a while ago about my uncle being a little worried and some weird money stuff.   So I haven't heard back from them in a while, which isn't really unusual but with everything going on, slightly more concerning.  Then my brother calls to say he hasn't heard back from them either and he was worried.   So I call my uncle who actually has talked to him in the past week and things are fine.   Asked him to have my dad call me and my brother the next time he talks to him.   Now tonight, my stepmother calls (at 10pm) to say my dad fell and she called EMTs because she can't help him up, and they took him to the hospital.  He has trouble with his legs that got better when he had heart stents put in and went to rehab.  Seems he's having the same problem again.   Hospital is evidently saying they aren't admitting anyone due to the CV-19, although there are only like 10 cases in the county my dad is in.   Dad is 85, or turning 85 in a few weeks, not sure so a hospital is probably not the best place for him to be right now. 

• Sad 4