Menu

Ignore this thread!

Laundry day (clothing, all-white dishcloths, wash cloths, dish towels), which also means ironing day (yes, I actually iron clothes). Also, I'm making bread for Mr. Ellie, a batter bread which doesn't require kneading (mix in Bosch, put in pans, let rise in the oven, bake). At some point, I'm going to watch "Jurassic Park." :hat:

What a difference a day makes!

Last night, I went to choir rehearsal, because although I was still feeling kind of funky, it wasn't funky enough to stay home, and if I *did* stay home, I wouldn't sing Sunday morning, because that's just not right, and there are only three of us altos in my choir (three choirs rehearse together...long story) so every voice is necessary, even quiet ones like mine. It's a good thing I did go, because the choir director was at the hospital with his wife who was having a baby (a boy), so the accompanist was leading rehearsal. He had been given 40 copies of an octavo (sheet music) which needed to be handed out, but since the octavos were new, they needed to be numbered, and then they needed to be assigned to people (because you don't just hand out music; you'll never see it again, $$$$ out the window). So I numbered all the octavos, and made a sign-out sheet, and had all the choir members sign out their music. Three people managed to pick up music without signing for it, so I had to get everyone's attention and find out who did that. :huh: :glare:

And then I stopped at H.E.B. on the way home and bought some NadaMoo (coconut milk "ice cream"), and then I came home and tried to post here but there were, IDK, a couple of hundred spams, so I went to bed.

That is all. :hat:

But wait! That's not all!!

BOOYA!!!!

Tell me about the batter bread! Can you make it without a Bosch?

Every choir needs conscientious members like you. Also someone who can number things, make a simple sign-out sheet, and follow up. (In an orchestra, that person is called the librarian. Do choirs have librarians?)

• Like 4

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Let me tell you something....we wanted to visit all of our old haunts in Boston, while down there.  Now I remember why we only went to that blasted New England Aquarium once.  That place is HOLLAH expensive!  WHAT?!  And you can't even get any good discounts.  They're like..."AAA members get $2 off..."  

I'm like, "$2 off?!  It's $26 PER PERSON.  WHOOOHOOOO...I can save us a grand total of $12!!  

I'm usually pretty good at getting discounted admission.  I got us an overnight at Great Wolf in their best suite, for $189.  I mean...not to trump my trumpet but...I've got some mad bartering skills.  But I have made no headway with the Aquarium.  It would cost us $140 to go there.  So we can scratch that right off the list.  

That's right NEAQ!  Instead of your crummy aquarium***...we'll be at Boston Children's Museum after 5pm on a Friday, paying a buck a person to get in.  So there!  

***It's actually not a crummy aquarium.  But it's not worth $140 to go!  

I KNOW, RIGHT???

Teacher discounts are for PS teachers ONLY.  Private schools? NOPE.  Homeschoolers?  HECK NO.  And in my opinion it's only an okay aquarium.  For that kind of money, it makes more sense to hit Sea World with Grammy and Grampy.   My hubby did drive around to multiple libraries last time we went, and collected enough passes for all us, which reduced the price a little bit.  But it was a pain. 

Great Wolf is fun, though.  I just made our November reservations today!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LYNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dd6 thought that 4 exclamation points were excessive.  So I stuck my tongue out at her and added more. 

ETA:  She turns 7 on Friday, so she's bought into the belief that she's a Special Snowflake.  (She is, but don't tell her that.   :D )

ETA again:  Now the exclamations are multi-colored.  Because there are a lot of little bossypants here right now. 

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 8

I have not fainted.  This is good because I started yet another new med today and it's a bit disconcerting when the doc says to you "let me know if it makes you faint."  But I haven't and I even swam in treacherous waters by taking a shower.  It wasn't the sea and the plug was out so there was no standing water but still. . . I think I get some danger points here. 

#livingontheedge

• Like 13

I never use more than 3 exclamation points. No reason. Matt's home sick for the rest of the week. Because mancold. Mary's a disaster. I'm caught up on laundry. Yay. SIL and I agreed on a late fee last month. I just informed her she owes us an additional $35. She has not responded.

Last night Matt said he didn't feel well so I told him to use the Netipot, have a hot toddy, and put some unkers on. He doesn't like my crazy natural medicine mysticism crap so he took a variety of medicines, went to bed with a migraine and coughed all night. This morning he said he feels worse so I told him to use the Netipot, have a hot toddy, and put some unkers on. He did. He feels better now. I want a divorce. And I don't know how to spell hot toddy.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 8

Also, Josh is here. Josh is John's alter-ego. He always wears the same clothes and never breaks character. He keeps his hands in his pockets and looks at the ground a lot. John never does those things. He calls us Mister and Misses Lubbe and likes different movies than John. He's also older than John so he gets a bigger lunch and has more chores, but is not homeschooled so we miss a day when he's here. Josh lives in Texas and has been visiting us for over a year.

I knew he was weird as soon as he was born, but the whole Josh thing is a little too weird. It wouldn't bother me but he never. breaks. character. Ever. Sometimes he's here when company comes over and John remembers whether or not he's met them as Josh, so he'll introduce himself if they haven't met. He even gives Josh's entire back story so I don't have to explain the situation. It's so weird.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 5

Well, I looked on Amazon, and got an idea of prices and styles and such. Then we went to a furniture store and just looked at prices and tried some out by sitting and laying on them. Then we went to another store (same chain but bigger) with the twins. They took their shoes off and jumped from mattress to mattress like some kind of circus show while dh and I tried out the ones in our price range. They want you to lay down on them just like you would if you were going to bed. I liked the firmer one that was a bit cheaper, and dh liked the cushier one that was more expensive. So then we left the store completely and went to eat and discuss. We finally decided on the one that was kinda in the middle of firm and cushy and price-wise. So we went back, told the children to leave their shoes on, not to jump like kangaroos, and made the purchase.

In other words, quite an ordeal, but I figure it should last 10-15 years so I had better be happy about it. :)

We tried that. Even down to the kids jumping on the beds. Well, not quite. They were having fun on the adjustable beds with the remote controls and massagers. The first bed we got ended up being defective, so we battled with JC Penney's warranty dept. for 2 months, got a replacement bed and we hate it. Ugh.
  • Like 4

Also, Josh is here. Josh is John's alter-ego. He always wears the same clothes and never breaks character. He keeps his hands in his pockets and looks at the ground a lot. John never does those things. He calls us Mister and Misses Lubbe and likes different movies than John. He's also older than John so he gets a bigger lunch and has more chores, but is not homeschooled so we miss a day when he's here. Josh lives in Texas and has been visiting us for over a year.

I knew he was weird as soon as he was born, but the whole Josh thing is a little too weird. It wouldn't bother me but he never. breaks. character. Ever. Sometimes he's here when company comes over and John remembers whether or not he's met them as Josh, so he'll introduce himself if they haven't met. He even gives Josh's entire back story so I don't have to explain the situation. It's so weird.

Not weird. Super awesome.

(And likely exceptionally gifted.)

• Like 4

The pre-Costco kitchen cleaning is complete. ::curtsies::

Not weird. Super awesome.

(And likely exceptionally gifted.)

Does this mean we can do AoPS? I wanna do AoPS.

BTW, keep dissing my pseudo-grandbabies and I'm gonna come and repossess them.

(Imagine stamps foot dude here)

You can come get them. Tomorrow morning works best for me. When I called Mary a disaster she was in her room screaming and banging on her door because I wouldn't give her candy. I know it will only take a few days to correct her horrible behavior but's going to be a rough few days. Feel free to take that responsibility upon yourself. And John is weird. He just is. In a good way though.

PS,  :toetap05: is toetao05. You're welcome.

• Like 2

The pre-Costco kitchen cleaning is complete. ::curtsies::

Does this mean we can do AoPS? I wanna do AoPS.

You can come get them. Tomorrow morning works best for me. When I called Mary a disaster she was in her room screaming and banging on her door because I wouldn't give her candy. I know it will only take a few days to correct her horrible behavior but's going to be a rough few days. Feel free to take that responsibility upon yourself. And John is weird. He just is. In a good way though.

PS, :toetap05: is toetao05. You're welcome.

Edited by JoJosMom

I wish I had seen your post earlier when we were still in Oregon. I missed my chance to grab the babies! :)

I didn't know you were in Oregon! Close by? I could have fed you a nice home cooked meal and we could have hung out! Let me know next time!

We tried that. Even down to the kids jumping on the beds. Well, not quite. They were having fun on the adjustable beds with the remote controls and massagers. The first bed we got ended up being defective, so we battled with JC Penney's warranty dept. for 2 months, got a replacement bed and we hate it. Ugh.

I'm sorry. I hope you find something you like.

I hope this one turns out to be a good one. It sits up about 6-8 inches higher than the old mattress and box springs. If someone falls off they will probably have some broken bones or a concussion. Or both.

I just found out that you're supposed to take this  new med at night because it makes you sleepy.  All the doc and pharmacist told me was to choose a time of day and stick with it.  I'll choose before bedtime tomorrow and will stick with that.  Meanwhile, I am not getting a lot done today because SLEEPY.  But I"m not going to beat myself up about it. 

• Like 3

Tell me about the batter bread! Can you make it without a Bosch?

I'm sure you can make it without a Bosch. It's from an America's Test Kitchen magazine, "The Best of America's Test Kitchen," 2013. I am a wimp; without a Bosch, my bread dough makes a good pizza.

Every choir needs conscientious members like you. Also someone who can number things, make a simple sign-out sheet, and follow up. (In an orchestra, that person is called the librarian. Do choirs have librarians?)

Some choirs have librarians. This choir has not had one, but it needs one desperately. There is a part-time volunteer; she was not there last night. And either she needs to do more, or we need more volunteers, because the masses of copies (legal, with permission from the publisher, of course) that go unused and lie around the choir room cluttering up the place would make your head explode. Last year, three or four of us worked on the choir director's office for several days, cleaning up many years' worth of stuff. We didn't finish, and it hasn't been touched since then, and the paper clutter has reproduced itself. Crazy.

• Like 1

I need to ketchup. I'm now on page 822. I was here for the anniversary, but don't remember if I actually posted. Maybe I did. I can't remember. The day sucked.

I'm really very very very very very very very very very very glad that I live in an area where parties for 1 year olds are not a thing, and I live far enough away from my sisters that it will never be a thing with me. It does not sound like anything fun. I may prefer watching paint dry. Or watching a basketball game. Or soccer. I may even break down and watch American football. Sheesh. Give me the 20 second youtube clip of the cake smash.

Thanks. I needed to get that off my chest.

• Like 9

I'm really very very very very very very very very very very glad that I live in an area where parties for 1 year olds are not a thing, and I live far enough away from my sisters that it will never be a thing with me. It does not sound like anything fun. I may prefer watching paint dry. Or watching a basketball game. Or soccer. I may even break down and watch American football. Sheesh. Give me the 20 second youtube clip of the cake smash.

Thanks. I needed to get that off my chest.

Birthday parties for 1yo children were not a thing where I grew up, or even after I had dc. Dds first (and second, and third) birthdays were just grandparents coming over for cake and ice cream. The first party we had was for older dd's fourth bday, and then we went to Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor. :-)

• Like 4

We had cupcakes and family for the boys' first birthday. It was fun. To this day we have yet to have a party. Just grandparents and cake. And only the family that is here or wants to come--no big deal.

ETA: However, I have not ruled out a large graduation party complete with lots of grilled foods, homemade ice cream, cake and speeches. Although I'll probably bawl through mine. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5

Our church choir sort of has a librarian.  The choir director got married and sweet-talked his wife into it!

When dd5 was turning 1, one of the older dc asked if we would have a party.  I said yes -- with her five closest friends (as I looked around the dining room table at each of them).

Hello and goodbye.  Things to do...

• Like 5

We did a biggish 1st bday for kids 1 and 2. But then family drama (because divorce and remarriage...them, not us) put a nix to it. I feel bad for kid 3 and 4.

Gotta be honest though...I'm really not a fan of birthday parties. I mean, I enjoy them but they can be a burden. DD, miss popularity, is always invited to parties. This one family (with three girls) invites her every year to each of their girls' parties. I feel so bad not sending her but I can't afford it! Perhaps if DD was an only but....I've got four kids and each of them wants to go to all of their friends' parties and then each kid expects us to throw THEM a party. Two of ours have Christmas-time birthdays and it's all just too much, kwim?

I feel like such a scrooge saying no, but I just can't! We'll do a party for big birthdays but every year? No.

• Like 5

The two cookbooks my dad brought over were GF ones from America's Test Kitchen.  They look fabulous.

I have taken the dog to get her nails trimmed by some bball peeps who own a grooming store.  I tried to pay, but they would not accept pay.  

I crashed with the cat for a lovely afternoon nap.  I'm officially an old person, and I think I like it.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 7

Also, I made some Pamela's gf bread in the breadmaker today.  I have an electric knife.  There is nothing better than an electric knife.

We have Sudden Stop Syndrome, when you go like mad for weeks on end and then suddenly stop and you are depressed.  Dh looks suicidal.  I am sad and wander about the house napping and not knowing what to do with myself.  

#thestruggleisreal

• Like 5

The two middles are at piano lessons, I got 2 loaves of banana bread in the oven, already baked a batch of rolls to use as sandwich bread and bread for our German Sausage sandwiches tonight. I admit to being a bread snob. I refuse to eat store bought bread for sandwiches. I hate whole wheat bread and boughten white bread is flat out gross (sticks to the roof of your mouth). So, I make my own bread for sandwiches and hamburger buns, etc. it's the same bread, little flat roll thingies, but they are good texture and freeze well.

And I'm just tired. Washed/dried some 3-4 loads, but they're in the laundry basket yet. Don't feel like putting them away. The irregular cycles of peri-menopause are just driving me nuts!

• Like 8

John is still upset about the movie and he was afraid he would have nightmares so he prayed and asked God to make him have dreams about cupcakes.

At dinner John said he wanted to go to college and Mary said she wanted to make burgers.

#goals

#becausenoteverykidgetstobeanastronaut  

Gymnast has always prayed for God to give her chocolate dreams. :D

• Like 3

We did a biggish 1st bday for kids 1 and 2. But then family drama (because divorce and remarriage...them, not us) put a nix to it. I feel bad for kid 3 and 4.

Gotta be honest though...I'm really not a fan of birthday parties. I mean, I enjoy them but they can be a burden. DD, miss popularity, is always invited to parties. This one family (with three girls) invites her every year to each of their girls' parties. I feel so bad not sending her but I can't afford it! Perhaps if DD was an only but....I've got four kids and each of them wants to go to all of their friends' parties and then each kid expects us to throw THEM a party. Two of ours have Christmas-time birthdays and it's all just too much, kwim?

I feel like such a scrooge saying no, but I just can't! We'll do a party for big birthdays but every year? No.

About 323 pages ago, we found out that most of us here on ITT hate parties.   :lol: Ok, not really hate hate. But, just so you can know better who I am, I gave dd16 a party when she turned 10 - rented the skating rink, they took care of the activities and such, and we bought cake. Fun was had by all. I let her know she'll get a party every 10 years.  :leaving:  We do the take-the-person-out thing. A few times, we've invited a friend and her son along. Of course, that was when she was a single mom and before she decided to marry an abusive jerk. But, that's neither here nor there.

In other news, Gymnast took a "dollar" from dh's wallet. When he tried to take it back, it ripped. It was $1 with two 0's after it.  :glare:  Thankfully, money still has value with tape on it.

• Like 6

About 323 pages ago, we found out that most of us here on ITT hate parties.   :lol: Ok, not really hate hate. But, just so you can know better who I am, I gave dd16 a party when she turned 10 - rented the skating rink, they took care of the activities and such, and we bought cake. Fun was had by all. I let her know she'll get a party every 10 years.  :leaving:  We do the take-the-person-out thing. A few times, we've invited a friend and her son along. Of course, that was when she was a single mom and before she decided to marry an abusive jerk. But, that's neither here nor there.

In other news, Gymnast took a "dollar" from dh's wallet. When he tried to take it back, it ripped. It was $1 with two 0's after it.  :glare:  Thankfully, money still has value with tape on it.

See....I KNEW you guys were my people!  

DD turned 10 this past January and I'm planning on renting out the YMCA and doing the pool party thing.  But I feel kind of guilty inviting the girls from church (the ones that keep inviting her to their parties) because...you know...I won't let her go to their parties...lol.

But I'm going to do the whole, "Your presence, not your presents..." blah blah blah.  Honestly...the whole gift-grab thing kind of bothers me.  I mean...not really but it does.  I think what I'll have them do is make a voluntary donation to the YMCA scholarship fund...which we are beneficiaries of.  

DS turns 10 in December and will also require a party...which will probably mean the YMCA again.  I would so love to do a Great Wolf Lodge birthday party...the one in Niagara...but, that's not happening.  

Our usual birthday event goes like this...

Kid who's birthday it is gets to plan out the entire day's meals.  Breakfast...lunch...dinner.  I make whatever he or she wants.  this has led to some interesting meals.  But it's their choice.  

I buy a nice cake from an area bakery (which may not happen anymore because the cakes went from $30 to $70+ last year).  It's a cake with whatever theme they want.

I use to bake them a special cake.  A shaped one.  I did a ladybug for DDs first...a dump truck for DS first...and monkey for one...I can't remember the other's first....lol.  

I made a rocket ship for DS one year...that was cool...I'll attach a picture.  

But it got to be too much and I ended up wanting to hurl cake across the room...so I hire that out now.   *wistful*

Anyways...so the birthday kid gets their fav foods...cake...and a gift.  We have no family within 8 hours so it's just us.  Done.  

Sometimes I feel sad...sad that we don't have the whole big cousin experience with lots of friends over.  But then I remember how it was when we were near family...and the drama...and who's not talking to who...and who's excluding who...and the "you can't have the party at that place because it's too far for our side of the family to drive and we might all off the edge of the earth" (DHs family seriously refused to attend DDs first birthday because of this)...

At the end of the day...I think our little family celebration is better.  

• Like 3