Menu

Ignore this thread!

Links please?  :D

I'd probably wreck it if I tried. But the items are

Big chemistry set= the Thames and Kosmos 3000 (yes, I could do with a lesser set, but really!)

Neat Periodic Table=EuroGraphics 2450-0258 Illustrated Periodic Table of the Elements

I discovered both in that marvelous emporium of thing to spend your money on known as Amazon. :laugh:

I pruned my list down to 750$. I do this: I put together the list of everything that would make me rolling-around happy, to soberly pleased, to grudgingly contented. Most of the time I get my soberly pleased list and one item extra from the rolling-around happy option.

• Like 10

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I'd probably wreck it if I tried. But the items are

Big chemistry set= the Thames and Kosmos 3000 (yes, I could do with a lesser set, but really!)

Neat Periodic Table=EuroGraphics 2450-0258 Illustrated Periodic Table of the Elements

I discovered both in that marvelous emporium of thing to spend your money on known as Amazon. :laugh:

I pruned my list down to 750$. I do this: I put together the list of everything that would make me rolling-around happy, to soberly pleased, to grudgingly contented. Most of the time I get my soberly pleased list and one item extra from the rolling-around happy option.

Even though I have an OK homeschool budget, I can never get beyond grudgingly contented.  Because bibliophile.   :D

• Like 6

Prairie, we had the radiant barrier spray on our attic.  We have an upstairs bonus room that is surrounded on three sides by attic and it was Hades up there all summer.  This helped some for a time.  I think the effects wore off.  The most dramatic help came from a cheap fix by an air conditioning dude who did "splits" or something like that.  He basically fixed the ducts to pour more cold air into the upstairs.  What was happening is hot-natured dh would be upstairs all day working (he offices out of our upstairs), and he turned the air down to the point that I was forced to wear heavy sweatshirts when it was 100 degrees outside.  Before he fixed it, you could walk upstairs and halfway up Dante's Inferno assaulted you in the face.  This no longer happens.  So I would get a good HVAC person before I did anything else.  We put extra insulation, too, which made almost no impact.  It's all about the ducts, yo.

• Like 7

Good morning! Well, I'm not dead yet! Although with all of Tex's "I loves yous" up-thread, I was wondering if she was getting her affairs in order. ;)

Got a Valentine's party today for our homeschool group. It's an annual tradition. We go bowling and then across the street to the park and eat junk food and pass out Valentine's. And I don't feel guilty about the fact that my contribution to the party is a cellophane box of store bought pink and red frosted cookies. Even though my cousin always shows up with beautifully decorated mini-cupcakes artfully arranged on one of those tiered plate thingies.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 9

Hello....it's me.

Yesterday, I Facebook messaged the youth pastor who was let go and told her I love her and would miss her.  I also hugged my therapist and told her I love her.  I love a lot of people, yo.  And I am a true believer in telling people you love them.  Whatever if people are not used to hearing this beyond romantic stuff or immediate family.  There are other kinds of love.

I love all of you, too.

I puffy heart love you, too, Tex!  :001_wub:

• Like 6

Good morning! Well, I'm not dead yet! Although with all of Tex's "I loves yous" up-thread, I was wondering if she was getting her affairs in order. ;)

Got a Valentine's party today for our homeschool group. It's an annual tradition. We go bowling and then across the street to the park and eat junk food and pass out Valentine's. And I don't feel guilty about the fact that my contribution to the party is a cellophane box of store bought pink and red frosted cookies. Even though my cousin always shows up with beautifully decorated mini-cupcakes artfully arranged on one of those tiered plate thingies.

No, this is just how I roll.  :D

Those frosted cookies are the best.  I remember them from my gluten days.  

• Like 4

All this talk about Valentine's food in homeschool group and school settings reminds me why we homeschool, and without an IRL homeschool group for support.  People can't seem to function in groups without food.  :eek:  :willy_nilly:

That is so true.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 6

I have a blue high heel tape dispenser and a green apple post-it note dispenser. 
I'm a sucker for fun office supply delivery systems. 

Also, I'm planning on regifting a Valentine's Day gift to dd's preschool teacher. I kind of feel cheap doing that, but I don't need 3 stuffed monkeys holding a box of chocolates. 

• Like 1

I am here.  Very gingerly.  My right ribs came out yesterday.  They were put firmly back in place - a process which made me come very close to yelling (just so you know, I did not make a peep during childbirth or kidney stones).  Now that area is super sore and inflamed.  I slept very very very gingerly but I did sleep.  Now as soon as the Moo Truck goes (milk man) I will put Libby out to pee (she hates the Moo truck) and will then go back to bed. But first, I think it is time for some pain meds again. 

• Like 4

I am here.  Very gingerly.  My right ribs came out yesterday.  They were put firmly back in place - a process which made me come very close to yelling (just so you know, I did not make a peep during childbirth or kidney stones).  Now that area is super sore and inflamed.  I slept very very very gingerly but I did sleep.  Now as soon as the Moo Truck goes (milk man) I will put Libby out to pee (she hates the Moo truck) and will then go back to bed. But first, I think it is time for some pain meds again. 

Ouch.

• Like 2

Good morning!

Susan:  I think you need a bazooka.  Duct tape is just not sufficient.  (But you do make me glad that we don't do the co-op thing.)

Lynn:  Be strong! Be focused! Be Awesome!  Go, Lynn, go!  (And I hope you feel better soon. :grouphug: )

Tex:  I cannot imaging BBQ without pork. :huh:   Good thing you're in TX, yo.  (And I love you, too. :001_wub: )

Jean:  Gentle, gentle hugs. 

• Like 2

Beef brisket BBQ Texas style is a pretty good substitute for pork, IMO. I'll make pork, but to quote my dc, "It's not my favorite."

I think I'm going to go with the IOWA for standardized testing again this year, and maybe add a CogAT. I've never done one for either of the boys; that should be fun. We'll do it in May after we finish our spring quarter. Should be a good time of year for morning testing followed by afternoon lemonade and cookies on the porch.

The kitten-cat felt bold and made a quick foray onto the devil-mattress. She jumped right off again, but evidently her confidence got a big boost. She's watching birds from the windowsill right now.

• Like 5

Tex:  I cannot imaging BBQ without pork. :huh:   Good thing you're in TX, yo.  (And I love you, too. :001_wub: )

For the uninitiated, "barbecue" in Texas means brisket. "Pulled pork" is more like the "barbecue" in other parts of the South.  Also, we grill things,  while people elsewhere barbecue them. For us, "barbecue" is a noun, not a verb.

That is all.

• Like 3

I have had authentic Texas Beef BBQ, and it was divine. That alone (and maybe Lyle Lovett) is a valid reason to live in Texas.

(((Jean))) sending you virtual warm blankets and clouds of pillows and delicous tea/Mike's/hot chocolate, etc. Plus frivolous gossip magazines and funny/interesting/engaging films and shows. Do we need to call the doctor for you?

Edited by Susan in TN

I can't like anything because I'm out of likes.  But I really do like everything ITT.

I was not able to get back to sleep.  But I had gotten almost 7 hours of sleep last night so that's not too bad.

I went to the doctor who could actually do something yesterday - the chiropractor.

My primary allopathic doctor only has muscle relaxants and pain pills to offer.  I am stocked up and using some of them so no need to see him.

I am hoping that the acupuncture that I have scheduled for next week for this very problem will actually work.  I wish I did not have to wait until next week but I guess this is a lesson in delayed gratification or something like that. 

• Like 2

Beef brisket BBQ Texas style is a pretty good substitute for pork, IMO. I'll make pork, but to quote my dc, "It's not my favorite."

I think I'm going to go with the IOWA for standardized testing again this year, and maybe add a CogAT. I've never done one for either of the boys; that should be fun. We'll do it in May after we finish our spring quarter. Should be a good time of year for morning testing followed by afternoon lemonade and cookies on the porch.

The kitten-cat felt bold and made a quick foray onto the devil-mattress. She jumped right off again, but evidently her confidence got a big boost. She's watching birds from the windowsill right now.

For the uninitiated, "barbecue" in Texas means brisket. "Pulled pork" is more like the "barbecue" in other parts of the South.  Also, we grill things,  while people elsewhere barbecue them. For us, "barbecue" is a noun, not a verb.

That is all.

I have had authentic Texas Beef BBQ, and it was divine. That alone (and maybe Lyle Lovett) is a valid reason to live in Texas.

(((Jean))) sending you virtual warm blankets and clouds of pillows and delicous tea/Mike's/hot chocolate, etc. Plus frivolous gossip magazines and funny/interesting/engaging films and shows. Do we need to call the doctor for you?

If it ain't pork, it ain't 'que. 

Texans.  Hmph.

Flounce.

• Like 2

If it ain't pork, it ain't 'que. 

Texans.  Hmph.

Flounce.

Barbecue in Texas is its own food group. FYI. :hat: There is nothing tastier than brisket that falls apart when you look at it.

We love our pulled pork, too. It just isn't called "barbecue." It's called...pulled pork. :D

• Like 2

I have a blue high heel tape dispenser and a green apple post-it note dispenser. 

I'm a sucker for fun office supply delivery systems. 

Also, I'm planning on regifting a Valentine's Day gift to dd's preschool teacher. I kind of feel cheap doing that, but I don't need 3 stuffed monkeys holding a box of chocolates. 

I immediately re-gifted a co-worker's Christmas gift to my neighbor .  Scented candles are not appreciated by DH.  DH did appreciate the fact that I did not have to spend money on neighbor.  Therefore, re-gifted gift was useful in a sense.

#notcheap

#practical

• Like 4

This post reminded me that I have to test this year, and then I remembered that I was going to ask our librarian to proctor since DS would be comfortable around her.  And then I remembered.  And now I am sad again.  I hope I don't start crying at my desk. 

• Like 1

This post reminded me that I have to test this year, and then I remembered that I was going to ask our librarian to proctor since DS would be comfortable around her.  And then I remembered.  And now I am sad again.  I hope I don't start crying at my desk. 

I'm sorry. :grouphug:

• Like 1

That is all.

Barbeque to me is anything with barbeque sauce.  Pulled pork can be dry.  We also grill things in my family.  For us, it is also a noun, not a verb.

At the risk of being burned at the stake, I do not understand women who are enthralled with Lyle Lovett. SMH

I just like his songs. And he is very Pro-Texas.

Also, like Benedict Cumberbatch, I hold a certain amount of respect for someone who is so awkward looking who can make a solid career in media.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

At the risk of being burned at the stake, I do not understand women who are enthralled with Lyle Lovett.  SMH

I just like his songs. And he is very Pro-Texas.

Also, like Benedict Cumberbatch, I hold a certain amount of respect for someone who is so awkward looking who can make a solid career in media.

After I read the above by ikslo, I was going to say that I don't dig Lyle Lovett...and also that I don't find Benedict Cumberbatch attractive in the least.  Dude, ITT mind meld.

• Like 2