Menu

DD and I saw Cinderella tonight

OnTheBrink

It was pretty good. DD really enjoyed it but I don't think lower-elementary kids would like it a lot. I think they'd get a little bored. The costumes and scenery were lovely and I love the blue dress! It wasn't as fanciful as Maleficent or Mirror Mirror, but over all, a decent movie. 

I saw it yesterday with my daughter. I thought it was well done. It is not easy to retell a story that your audience knows backwards, forwards, and inside out.

It was visually beautiful and I thought Cate Blanchette really added depth to the step mother.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reviews; I want to see this one when it comes out on DVD, and it sounds like it will be interesting. Looking forward to seeing Cate Blanchett as an evil stepmother! (We didn't see Mirror, Mirror or Malificent either, but I'm seeing a girl's movie marathon with my own not-so-little princess; she's not much into Disney anymore, but I bet she'd humor mama.)

My ds9 is interested in going. I'm going to take him and ds12 in the next week. I'm glad they want to go.

I've seen plenty of movies without a decent female character in them and enjoyed them immensely. I see no reason why my boys can't do the same. Stories that happen to have girls in them and deal more in "girl" issues are just as valid for males to view as stories that happen to have boys in them and deal more in "boy" issues are valid for females to view.

• Like 1

I took my youngest two on Friday after school and I'm going back with oldest and youngest dd tomorrow night. I loved it! I cried. I thought it was well-cast and that Disney helped make the story of how a young girl could become such a servant to her step family. I loved Cinderella's disposition and appreciated teasing out her relationship with her father a bit more. I'm wondering if I ever, ever had a waist that small?! 

I've been singing Lavender's Blue. :)

One slight word b/c I'm sensitive to these things: mom dies when Cinderella is about 8 and dad dies when she maybe 18? The mom's sickness and death portrayed in more detail (not overly but it's part of the early story) while dad's death is just reported and Cinderella crumples and cries. I've been blindsided by the death of a dad in a children's movie that kinda took the fun out of it for us. So if that would at all affect a child, you should know it's there. I think b/c the early death involved the mom, it didn't affect my kids.

Lisa

• Like 2

I saw it with a party of 12 girls ranging in age from 4-7. They all loved it. I thought it was delightfully calm - well paced, suspenseful, fun. So much better than I expected.

I cried about 4 times , my six year old wept once - when Cinderella 's mom died. For us was not traumatizing. Just part of the emotionally satisfying story. But of course it could be triggering for families who have lost a parent or are dealing with terminal illness.

My ds9 is interested in going. I'm going to take him and ds12 in the next week. I'm glad they want to go, but I may have forced the issue if they weren't already issues because just because a movie is about a girl doesn't mean boys can't watch it.

I've seen plenty of movies without a decent female character in them and enjoyed them immensely. I see no reason why my boys can't do the same. Stories that happen to have girls in them and deal more in "girl" issues are just as valid for males to view as stories that happen to have boys in them and deal more in "boy" issues are valid for females to view.

Why would you insist that your ds12 go to see Cinderella? :confused:

It seems like a movie for little girls, and although I think it's great that you are taking your younger son to see it because he wants to go, I can't imagine most 12yo boys having the slightest interest in it.

Why would you force the issue and make your sons go see a movie like Cinderella?

• Like 1

I took my youngest two on Friday after school and I'm going back with oldest and youngest dd tomorrow night. I loved it! I cried. I thought it was well-cast and that Disney helped make the story of how a young girl could become such a servant to her step family. I loved Cinderella's disposition and appreciated teasing out her relationship with her father a bit more. I'm wondering if I ever, ever had a waist that small?!

I've been singing Lavender's Blue. :)

One slight word b/c I'm sensitive to these things: mom dies when Cinderella is about 8 and dad dies when she maybe 18? The mom's sickness and death portrayed in more detail (not overly but it's part of the early story) while dad's death is just reported and Cinderella crumples and cries. I've been blindsided by the death of a dad in a children's movie that kinda took the fun out of it for us. So if that would at all affect a child, you should know it's there. I think b/c the early death involved the mom, it didn't affect my kids.

Lisa

(((Lisa)))

Thanks for the warning. It is so thoughtful of you.

• Like 2

Why would you insist that your ds12 go to see Cinderella? :confused:

It seems like a movie for little girls, and although I think it's great that you are taking your younger son to see it because he wants to go, I can't imagine most 12yo boys having the slightest interest in it.

Why would you force the issue and make your sons go see a movie like Cinderella?

Well, I took my 7 year old dd and my 11 year old Ds to see it today and they both enjoyed it. I agree with you Cat, that I wouldn't have forced him to go, but I'm really glad he wanted to and that he enjoyed it.

The movie was beautiful and I really enjoyed seeing a kids movie that didn't include a bunch of crude jokes.

It seems like a movie for little girls, and although I think it's great that you are taking your younger son to see it because he wants to go, I can't imagine most 12yo boys having the slightest interest in it.

She said they wanted to go, why are you making it sound so extremely weird ? I understand your question but I don't understand why you take such issue with boys liking it. It's a fairy tale. Tweens are allowed to like fairy tales.

Pink and I saw it today!

She loved it, and she's 5.  I really enjoyed it, as well.  

Spoilers ahead, Fyi:

I liked how much they focused on her character - I mean, yeah, it's always well known that Cinderella is kind and nice, etc.  But idk, I felt like they went a little deeper with it here.  I also enjoyed the backstory with her parents.

I liked that the stepsisters weren't actually 'ugly' like they are in the cartoon.  It's not something I'd get on a soapbox about, but it was still nice to see, and the line about their personalities not being as fair as they were was a good addition.  Again, not something that's a huge deal, just a nice observation.

And the way her dress moved was fabulous.  

Oh, and I hated the Frozen short.  But take that with a grain of salt, because I never saw all the hoopla about Frozen, either.  In fact, I'm very disappointed that rather than go with a Tangled (which I LOVED) sequel, they've decided to do another Frozen movie.  But I digress...

My ds9 is interested in going. I'm going to take him and ds12 in the next week. I'm glad they want to go, but I may have forced the issue if they weren't already issues because just because a movie is about a girl doesn't mean boys can't watch it.

For my boys, it's not that it's about a girl... they watch plenty of movies that have a girl as the central character.  It's the love story angle - Cinderella is very much a love story.  While that isn't all there is to it, it's a big focus of the movie.  My boys are really just not at an age where people falling in love is something they care to see.  They think all that stuff is gross lol.  And that's okay.  I wouldn't force them to watch it.  (They have seen lots of other fairy tales and princess movies lol... so missing this one isn't something that matters, IMO)

Not that I'm saying you should feel the same - just offering another perspective.  :)  

• Like 1

My daughters and I saw it yesterday while DH and sons were out of town. We all loved it. I cried a couple of times, as well, and thought it was much more satisfying than I thought it would be. As we walked out, the girls and I agreed that my boys, age 10 and almost 11, would have loved it, too. Don't leave your boys at home if they have any interest in going!

Wonderful movie!

My girls and I enjoyed it and agreed that it needs to be purchased. I think we're going to watch it again on Tuesday at the local theater. The matinee tickets are only $2.50 apiece that day.

I thought it was beautifully filmed and I loved the extras that they added to the story as well, especially the relationship the prince had with his father. That was the only time I cried. 

As with the origin Cinderella, I'm still left with no idea what the motivation was for the Father to pick that woman as his second wife. I was hoping we'd see a little more of that part of the story.

Well, not "forced" forced. I mean, if he was saying, "No! I don't want to go!" I wouldn't make him go. But if he was just on the fence about going or not really thinking about it either way and I was taking ds9, I would have said, "Ok guys. Let's all go to the movies together as a family," and taken him along even if it wasn't something that he was asking to see.

See, in the past I would have avoided it because it was about a girl, but I'm kinda getting tired of that dynamic--that women are expected to go to movies where it's all about the male characters doing male things, but men aren't expected to go to movies where it's all about the female characters doing female things.

If it's a good, enduring story and it just happens to be about a girl I'd have had him to go , if he was on the fence. But, as another poster said, he's mildly interested anyway, so it's a moot point and there is no forcing. I suppose "forced" was a poor word choice on my part and not the tone I meant to have.

We're a family who loves fairy tales. I showed the boys Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast just last week because they hadn't seen them since they were tiny and we're on a fairy tale kick right now. The loved them. Those are "princess" movies, but the fairy tales are so much fun that it doesn't really matter if they're for little kids or supposed to be "girl" movies.

The Little Mermaid came out when I was 16 and I drove myself to it. My boyfriend at the time loved it. When it came out on video we bought it and watched it once a week. He's a grown man now and it's still his favorite Disney movie.

My point is that I think those sorts of stories are enduring and we shouldn't give our sons a message that if a movie is about "girl" issues it's not worth their time. Iron Man is completely, absolutely NOT about women, but I love that movie. Why can't a 12 year old boy enjoy a good telling of Cinderella? If I can watch all these Marvel Comic movies about a bunch of guys beating each other up and enjoy them, he can enjoy a fairy tale movie without shame.

• Like 2

Yes, I loved the way the stepsisters were presented as well. Did you know one of them was played by the woman who plays Daisy on Downton Abbey?

And I enjoyed the diversity of the imagery kingdom. This particular director has done colorblind casting in several of his films. It was especially nice to see beautiful gowns on beautiful girls of different ethnicities and races which really did reflect the audience of little girls I was watching with. Every little girl wants to see herself on screen.

• Like 1

Well, not "forced" forced. I mean, if he was saying, "No! I don't want to go!" I wouldn't make him go. But if he was just on the fence about going or not really thinking about it either way and I was taking ds9, I would have said, "Ok guys. Let's all go to the movies together as a family," and taken him along even if it wasn't something that he was asking to see.

See, in the past I would have avoided it because it was about a girl, but I'm kinda getting tired of that dynamic--that women are expected to go to movies where it's all about the male characters doing male things, but men aren't expected to go to movies where it's all about the female characters doing female things.

If it's a good, enduring story and it just happens to be about a girl I'd have had him to go , if he was on the fence. But, as another poster said, he's mildly interested anyway, so it's a moot point and there is no forcing. I suppose "forced" was a poor word choice on my part and not the tone I meant to have.

We're a family who loves fairy tales. I showed the boys Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast just last week because they hadn't seen them since they were tiny and we're on a fairy tale kick right now. The loved them. Those are "princess" movies, but the fairy tales are so much fun that it doesn't really matter if they're for little kids or supposed to be "girl" movies.

The Little Mermaid came out when I was 16 and I drove myself to it. My boyfriend at the time loved it. When it came out on video we bought it and watched it once a week. He's a grown man now and it's still his favorite Disney movie.

My point is that I think those sorts of stories are enduring and we shouldn't give our sons a message that if a movie is about "girl" issues it's not worth their time. Iron Man is completely, absolutely NOT about women, but I love that movie. Why can't a 12 year old boy enjoy a good telling of Cinderella? If I can watch all these Marvel Comic movies about a bunch of guys beating each other up and enjoy them, he can enjoy a fairy tale movie without shame.

Oh, OK -- that's totally different! 

The way you phrased your post before you edited it, I interpreted it entirely differently. Thanks for clarifying!  :)

• Like 1

She said they wanted to go, why are you making it sound so extremely weird ? I understand your question but I don't understand why you take such issue with boys liking it. It's a fairy tale. Tweens are allowed to like fairy tales.

Garga edited her post and removed the part where she said she may have forced the issue if both boys hadn't wanted to go, and I was wondering why she would do that.

She has already clarified what she meant, and now I understand that it wasn't what it originally sounded like.

I didn't say it was weird to take the boys -- I actually said I thought it was nice that she was taking her 9yo, and I think it's also fine to bring her other ds as well as long as he is interested in going. I was saying that I wouldn't force a 12yo boy to go see Cinderella, and I stand by that opinion.

That part of the opinion isn't the one that made me cringe, it was the part about it being unimaginable for most boys to have the slightest interest in it. Flashed me right back to things said about myself as a kid who didn't always act like a girl should - and how negatively that impacted my own image of myself. Perhaps I am oversensitive.

• Like 2

My ds9 is interested in going. I'm going to take him and ds12 in the next week. I'm glad they want to go.

I thought the prince was a very sympathetic character. Actually I really enjoyed it--I thought the acting was good and there were several little sub-plots that would interest a wide audience. The king and the prince, the prince and his friends, Cinderella and her stepsisters and her friends, etc.

I don't want to spoil the magic but there was magic and it was done well.

That said, I wouldn't do under eight. My daughter was crying during the deaths. Oh, Disney, must you kill off the parents every time?

That part of the opinion isn't the one that made me cringe, it was the part about it being unimaginable for most boys to have the slightest interest in it. Flashed me right back to things said about myself as a kid who didn't always act like a girl should - and how negatively that impacted my own image of myself. Perhaps I am oversensitive.

Poppy, I am sensitive to this as well. I really enjoy being with a man who is able to understand women as people in part because his experience of literature is not limited to "male" genres.

That said of course I wouldn't force a child to go to a movie, even if I thought they were being sexist about it. But I hear what you're saying.

I do think you are being overly sensitive. I don't think it is a huge stretch of the imagination to assume that most 12yo boys wouldn't be excited about going to see Cinderella, but I do think it is fine for them to go if they think it would be fun.

My point was simply that I wouldn't force a 12yo boy to go see Cinderella for the sole reason that I wanted to make him watch movies with female main characters. I wouldn't force a 12yo girl to go see a movie because I wanted to make her watch movies with male main characters, either, even though I always liked them when I was a kid.

I really don't think this is a big issue, and I'm not even sure we really disagree.

• Like 3