Menu

What is normal?--woman over 40

cintinative

Okay so "normal" is totally relative--I realize that, but I am trying to sort out a few things and figure out if I have a "new" issue or just a continuation/expansion of the old ones.

So I'm 41 going on 42 and I have: increased mood swings--mostly lows, even on anti-depressants, trouble sleeping, what feels like hot flashes, increased flare ups of eczema (usually correlates to hormones for me), etc.  Could this be perimenopause? I would love to tell you about my cycles but I am only a month or two off the pill, so I don't know yet.  On the pill I was awful--spotting most of the month.  I sort of expected my hormones to level out a bit off the pill, but I almost feel a bit more unstable emotionally than on it. I am not sure if that makes sense. 

I do have PMDD so that does influence some of this--but the hot flashes are new (last year or so).

Gyno says that I am "too young" for perimenopause.  Am I just run of the mill crazy then?  LOL.

Any suggestions on how to get better sleep, deal with hot flashes (other than throwing off all covers and stripping down), etc.????

sounds similar to my symptoms that started in my early 40s, except I never had hot flashes (yet).    I'm pretty sure mine were/are peri-menopause, but you should also get your thyroid checked.  As we age our thyroid function starts to decrease and some of your symptoms could be from that too.

• Like 2

I'm not a doctor, but I don't thing 41-42 is too early for perimenopause.  It can start in your 30's.  

As for sleep, try to find pj's in a wicking material - or just do a tank/tshirt and shorts in a wicking material.  Also, a bath before bed helps with body temperature regulation.  

• Like 5

My dr. Also said I was too young for peri (at 43) but I believe she was wrong. I had a couple of *insane* months last year. I take Vitex (chastetree berry) and multiple vitamins/minerals; it appears to help equalize things. Or I am just lucky recently and things have not been too crazy.

Exercise also helps.

• Like 1

GET A NEW GYNO!

Seriously! Someone very close to me was on the pill well into her 40s and only got off it because she had a stroke. The fact that your Ob/Gyn was okay with you being on the pill after 35 is appalling and then to also say you're too young to be in perimenopause sounds even worse.

The average age for menopause is 51. Normal menopause can occur within a 9 year window on either side of that age, so 42-60. Perimenopause can start as early as 10 years before menopause, so it's still considered normal for a 32 to be in perimenopause.

But I'm not a doctor, just a lay expert.

In the meantime, exercise will do wonders for your symptoms. I was having the same sort of symptoms as you and they have stopped with both regular exercise and a multivitamin plus extra Vitamin D.

• Like 5

I am 42, or is it 43? It's gotten harder to remember once I hit forty. Seriously, my memory is going along with my sanity. I am definitely more emotional than I used to be: happier, sadder, stronger, fiercer and fatter. I am exercising more, eating well and doing my best to keep a sense of humor while I am on the menopausal precipice and my daughter edges towards puberty.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Like 3

I am 42, or is it 43? It's gotten harder to remember once I hit forty. Seriously, my memory is going along with my sanity. I am definitely more emotional than I used to be: happier, sadder, stronger, fiercer and fatter. I am exercising more, eating well and doing my best to keep a sense of humor while I am on the menopausal precipice and my daughter edges towards puberty. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm right there with you....
  • Like 4

Your symptoms sound similar to mine minus the eczema--I don't have that.  I am 44.  I have to add to the list.  I have had crippling anxiety off and on along with my depression since August of last year.  I've always struggling with anxiety on some level, but this is off the charts.  Panic attacks, too.  I really, really feel it is somehow related to hormones.  I so desperately want my old self back again!  I'm sorry you are going through this.  I feel like you are not too young to be having perimenopausal symptoms.  My very first panic attacks (only 2 I have ever had prior to Aug) happened not long after I turned 40.  You may want to consider changing meds for the depression.  I was on Welbutrin for only a year before it just quit working for me.  It was wonderful while it lasted, but now it has very little effect on me. 

• Like 1

Gyno says that I am "too young" for perimenopause.

I'm rather mystified that your gyno could think that. http://www.menopause.org/for-women/menopauseflashes/menopause-symptoms-and-treatments/menopause-101-a-primer-for-the-perimenopausal

I'm 41 and going through a lot of the same stuff (subtract the eczema and add migraines). It stinks! And I'm not sure what to do about it.

• Like 2

Hang on, BC pills are supposed to be safe after 35 if you don't smoke and is especially fine if you have low blood pressure and no history of cardiovascular disease.

Whoops: forgot to quote. Here's the post I'm referring to :

"Seriously! Someone very close to me was on the pill well into her 40s and only got off it because she had a stroke. The fact that your Ob/Gyn was okay with you being on the pill after 35 is appalling and then to also say you're too young to be in perimenopause sounds even worse."

• Like 2

Were you having a cycle then? I thought you had to be one year without a cycle to be considered in menopause. Am I wrong?

Having had a hysterectomy years before, I had no periods. My hormones continued to cycle, though. When they quit, I lost my ability to sleep normally. The doctor tried to tell me I was worried about something. I told him to test my hormone levels. He was wrong. I was right.

way into premenopausal here and just over 40. Last year I found 2 lumps in my breasts. One towards the beginning of the year and one later on in the year. I had 2 mammograms and after the second one the radiologist told me that my breast tissue is breaking down really really fast, making my breast lumpy as there was some firmer breast tissue in lumps that hadn't broken down yet.

I also have lots of hot flushes, way way heavier periods but they only last for 2 -3 days, and for some reason  increased anger and more judgmental of people who make very bad life choices.

so looking forward to it being over. I started cycling when I was 9

I agree with the others that you aren't too young. However, what I thought was perimenopause was actually hypothyroid caused by anemia. So I'd consider a work up from your gyno or other doctor if you can (full thyroid, vitamin D (the 25 hydroxyvitamin D), and ferritin at least).

I am 42, or is it 43? It's gotten harder to remember once I hit forty. Seriously, my memory is going along with my sanity.

I can relate. I spent three years being 47 - I really thought I was 47. I would correct myself on my birthday each year, but I just slipped back into thinking I was 47. I will turn 48 this summer - I wonder if I'll remember? I mean, once I'm truly past 47, it might be a good thing to think I'm younger!  :lol:

• Like 2

Hang on, BC pills are supposed to be safe after 35 if you don't smoke and is especially fine if you have low blood pressure and no history of cardiovascular disease.

Whoops: forgot to quote. Here's the post I'm referring to :

"Seriously! Someone very close to me was on the pill well into her 40s and only got off it because she had a stroke. The fact that your Ob/Gyn was okay with you being on the pill after 35 is appalling and then to also say you're too young to be in perimenopause sounds even worse."

Friend didn't smoke, didn't have high blood pressure, didn't have history of CVD.

It's been a decade or more since I was on the pill, but I remember it wasn't an either or situation. Not recommended for womaen over 35 AND not recommended for woman who smoke/had high blood pressure no matter their age.

Seeing how this friend couldn't walk, struggled talking, cognitive function severely impaired in her 40s because her doctor was stupid enough to refill her prescriptions every year, I'm glad dh had a V way back. Even then, I wouldn't be on the pill. Not only for the stroke factor, but I always seemed to have bad Paps when I was on it.

I wouldn't want my daughters on the pill after 35 no matter their health and I would recommend the same to anybody. I feel it's too risky.

• Like 1

I went through menopause at 42.  Turns out my mom and older sister also went early -- I wish they would have told me, I though aliens were taking over my body.  It was crazy for two or three months and then everything leveled out to being a new normal.  

I started having peri about that age.   then I got pg with dudeling - and everything seemed to reset.  I'm in my 50's and NOT remotely DONE.  . . . . . .  grr . . . .

there have been recently published studies that found peri can last 14 years.  do what you need to do.

yoga really helps me.

I also did some treatment for adrenal fatigue - which was about the same time the mood swings were mrs whackadoodle.  I was also diagnosed hypothyroid.  (why you tell your dr all your symptoms.  I told my gyn my gyn symptoms, and my primary others.  they were all hypo but it was years before they were put together.)

I'm still in peri, but things are good.  other than I want to be done.

Progesterone helps keep my crazy under wraps.

May I ask whether you got a prescription or use one of those OTC creams? How did you know that progesterone was the issue (did your doctor run tests?)? I've been considering this, so I'd love to hear more about your experience.

LOL -- I was that way at 40.  I had a baby that year and was a mess after that with no relief.  Thankfully a lot of research and working with a doctor well-versed in alternative medicine means that I've been able to manage it.  For years natural progesterone and a low-carb diet managed it for years.  As I got older I had to tweak that more and more.  I added melatonin for sleeping problems.  Then I added black cohosh and red clover and one cup of soy milk a day.

Now in my mid-50's I think I'm finally in menopause, although I have a few more months before I meet the medical definition.  I seriously think I am done though.  I was always very aware of my body at every point in my cycle, and now it's the same every day.  Thankfully I've always been able to manage it without any other interventions, although I might consider that if the sleeping issue wasn't manageable.