Menu

Organizational ideas for homeschool "stuff"-- books, guides, etc!

Immi

The notebooks, curriculum guides, and manipulatives that we use every day go in a milk crate that I can easily store on the shelf and move to whichever table we are working at on a give day. Our current read alouds for science, history, literature, etc. go in a basket on our coffee table for easy access. Everything else is stored on bookshelves.

I have a 5x5 Expedit cube shelf from Ikea (now discontinued, but they have the very similar one called Kallax) that holds all of our school stuff with room to spare. I have baskets in the bottom two rows to hide the ugly stuff and the books and more attractive materials on the top three rows. It's one of the first things you see when you walk in the front door of my house, so I've worked really hard to have it be at least somewhat attractive. LOL

I reclaimed a pantry cabinet from the kitchen, moved it into the dining room and now we have book, notebook and stuff storage. Everything goes up at the end of the day, but yeah....it still looks like a school.

Still, I do like having everything in that deep, spacious cabinet. I've got at least one huge map book, and I can get it in there, which is awesome.

I have the Better Homes and Gardens 3 cube organizer. Online they give options for bins. In the store, the bins are sold separately and there is a cheaper bin that fits it perfectly. The Better Homes and Gardens Collapsible Fabric Storage Cube. They are a good size, slide in and out easily, and most importantly, no one can see what's in them. I want the 8 cube version next. And repurpose the ones I have by turning them sideways and putting them under the windows in the kids' room for window seats/ toy storage. Sorry I can't link right now.

Eta: by in the store, I meant Walmart.

I bought this cart http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30216536/to put our everyday stuff. It not really organized just a stack of books for one girl in the top, next girl in the middle and teacher books on the bottom. I bought one of those wooden armoires off craigslist for $50  so I can close our school mess when we are done (sort of looks like this http://www.sancarlosimports.com/comar.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA05unBRCymrGilanF9SwSJACqDFRmn1VQvZtbZJ7fW6yEy-Sa-0_h2x1oKy3xhVsM5WXhkRoCRf3w_wcB ). I also plan on getting a wood bookshelf to add our reading books to the room. 

For the stuff the kids use daily, each child has two 3 drawer 12x12 Sterilite drawers from Target that are stacked on top of each other. Best money I ever spent for homeschooling! Each subject has a drawer and 12x12 is a perfect dimension.

This is what I do.  I use these drawers.  One drawer per subject.  I also have baskets on the top of the drawers for all the books they read for lit.

Well, for the things used daily, there's the desk apprentice, but that can be pricey. I've seen folks use dish racks. That's affordable. 

I also use the desk apprentice.  It stores all the desk supplies - pens, pencils, rulers.  It also holds the folders for loose paperwork to be completed.  I have 36 folders, one for each week, that holds all the test, lesson plans, etc.

What exactly do you have? Do you have crafts that need a home? Or craft supplies? Or just books? Or papers? Or...what?

We don't do many crafts here, so that's not a problem for us. We use a ton of books and so I have two 5-shelf bookcases dedicated to homeschool books.

What do you organized folks do with library books?

I keep them in a large book basket in the living room by the couch. We each have a backpack for transporting our library books and when we get home they go in the basket (with the reciept so I can log our reading easily and check off each book that is packed back up on the return trip.) They are not allowed to take library books to any other room of the house. (We've lost 2 picture books which prompted this rule.)

I bought this cart http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30216536/to put our everyday stuff. It not really organized just a stack of books for one girl in the top, next girl in the middle and teacher books on the bottom. I bought one of those wooden armoires off craigslist for $50  so I can close our school mess when we are done (sort of looks like this http://www.sancarlosimports.com/comar.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA05unBRCymrGilanF9SwSJACqDFRmn1VQvZtbZJ7fW6yEy-Sa-0_h2x1oKy3xhVsM5WXhkRoCRf3w_wcB ). I also plan on getting a wood bookshelf to add our reading books to the room. 

:drool5:  I love that ikea cart! Thanks a lot, now I have to go to Ikea again!!

Multipurpose Bins forevah! :D

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/office/paperFileStorage/portable?productId=10022942

They're on sale now too!

Each kid has one for their current stuff, I have one, then they hold oodles of things on the IKEA Expedit shelves. Expedit is no more, but there's a new, very similar one. We have the rolling cart too. It's cute! :)

The multipurpose bins are great for craft items, pantries, under sinks, the car... Lots of pics of you google or check Pinterest. I use an XL one for library books when we have some. I'm so bad at library book usage.

We have the cart too, and we put math manipulatives and other odd stuff on the bottom two shelves. We use the top shelf for office supplies that we frequently use for school. I keep a cup of pencils and a pencil sharpener on top as well as some folding document holders if the kids want to prop up a book they are using. I use these to corral scissors, glue, erasers, etc.: http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/2-tier-rectangular-craft-box-188730/. Two can fit side-by-side on one shelf of the cart if necessary. One large set of c-rods will fit in one level of the snap-together boxes. Each of the boxes comes with a removable divided tray for one of the levels. If you don't use it in the box, it works nicely in a drawer elsewhere in the house.

Trofast shelves hold the rest of the daily supplies (long-term stuff and extra books go on book cases--whatever we have). Each kid has a shallow green bin with personal stuff in it, and the rest of the Trofast is divided up with a wooden shelf. The bottom shelf has curriculum. The shelf above it has books for free reading or for literature (I rotate stuff out as they read it and put in other stuff). I try to keep stuff that I'm finished with for quite some time in a banker-type box (or copypaper box) wherever it will fit in a storage area.

We have two rooms we use for homeschooling. They are in our finished basement, so closed off from the rest of the house. One room is a bigger bedroom with a closet. The closet is lined with shelves. In there I keep all of our art, craft, and school supplies. We do our seat work in that room at a semi circle desk. There is a futon in there as well for snuggling up to do reading. I have posters on the wall, and their daily work goes into those plastic drawer units for scrap booking. I love the one we have, each drawer is actually a bin that is removable and can be taken to another room if needed. I do one on one schooling for most of the morning, and the other two kiddos play in the living room area of the basement or go outside (daylight basement, so it's lined with windows to the back yard and I can see everyone). We have a bathroom down there so no excuse to have to go upstairs. 😉

The other room is a smaller bedroom, I think it's 10x10? And it's the 'library room'. It is lined with Expedit bookshelves from IKEA. We have three of the 4x2 and one of the 5x5 shelves along the walls. All homeschooling related books, manipulatives, games, puzzles, kits, ect go in there.

In the basement living room I have three more shelving units, two for books (literature, chapter, picture) and one for 3-d art work displays. Each girl has a 4x2 book shelf in their own room with books. We have a lot of books, 😳