Menu

Giving myself a shot is harder than I thought

UncleEJ

I have Crohn's Disease and have just started a biologic injection. Each dose is two injections. I just did my third dose.

I am not scared of needles. I am not scared of shots. In fact, I had to take weekly progesterone shots during my third pregnancy but DH admistered them. I am a trained phlebotomist.

But giving MYSELF a shot is really, really hard. The first dose I did at the Doctors office with a nurse. She did one and I did the other. The second dose I did at home but nearly passed out after. The third dose was a bit better, but it still took me 5 minutes of holding the syringe above my stomach before I was able to actually "do it." I sure hope this gets easier. Please tell me it gets easier?

The shots I give myself hurt more than the ones dh gives me. This is because in my case (and mine are not for Crohns), he can give it to me in a less sensitive location like the back of my arms Can dh give them to you?

He could and would except he is out of town more than he is home. So, I feel like I need to be able to do it. Odds are, he won't be home on the day I need to do it.

He could and would except he is out of town more than he is home. So, I feel like I need to be able to do it. Odds are, he won't be home on the day I need to do it.

I give myself my shots half the time and dh does them the other half.  I prefer when he does it!  But I hear you on that moment when the needle is hovering over your skin. . .  

It gets easier. It will probably not become your favorite hobby, but it will get easier.

You may want to ask your doctor/nurse practitioner if it is okay to hold an ice cube on the injection site for a short while before injecting. I found it to be very helpful, but I was injecting a different med and I don't know if you could do the same.

I am seriously afraid of needles, so I know how daunting this can be. :sad:  and :grouphug:

I did daily shots for a year or so. I know just what you mean, when that needle is poised ... The dread is not fun.

It gets easier. And then it gets hard again some days. But for the most part you'll fall into a routine and just do it.

If you can teach your DH, on the days when he's available to do it - it will feel easier. I preferred DH giving mine, like Jean. But he traveled a lot, so it mostly fell to me. But it was a nice break when DH did it.

I used to give myself allergy shots (no longer allowed due to the risk of a reaction). I hate shots, so it was difficult for me, but I was young and didn't have the money to go to the doctor's office twice a week and pay for them to administer the shots. Anyway, it worked best when I made it sound like it was simply part of a routine. Okay, I'll wash my face, give my shot, brush my teeth, etc. I tried to tell myself it was just a simple thing I was doing. It worked.

Your scaring me!

My son is starting Humira for Crohns next week.

I was kinda hoping he would want to inject himself.

My shots aren't Humira, my insurance wouldn't cover it. So I am taking Cimzia. Humira is usually an injection pen instead of a syringe. I think that would a lot easier. You just set the pen against your skin and push a button. Mine I have to push the needle in and then inject the medicine. Good luck! I hope the Humira works for your DS!

Dh is on humira for crohns and ds is type one diabetic. I'm the only one who isn't giving themselves shots, Lol. Yes, it does get easier. With my family, they've figured out different places to inject themselves that make it easier on them.

If it's humira you're referring to, my husband had to switch to just the needle injection instead of the pen injection. He said the pen injection hurt too badly going in, but with the more traditional injection he can control the flow of medicine going in. Hth!

I am taking Cimzia. My insurance insisted I try it before paying for Humira. Cimzia is an actual syringe because the medicine is very think. But it doesn't burn going in, unlike Humira.

In my case, my med has to be refrigerated, but can be brought to room temperature for injection, which hurts less. So you might ask if there are any tips like that.

Yes! Mine does have to be refrigerated and I bring it out for 30 minutes or so.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  While I haven't given myself injections, I have sympathy for you.  My oldest dd was diagnosed with diabetes almost 2 years ago.  I did her shots for the first few months, but then, her endo wanted her to start giving them to herself.  Some days were very, very difficult for her.  She was fine with me doing them, but when it came time to put that needle into her own stomach she had such a hard time.  But, it did get easier.  Hang in there.  

I have been self-injecting B12 for about eight years.  It has to be IM so the needle is about an inch and a quarter long.  I do it monthly.  Every month I hover over the side of my thigh and work up the courage to stick myself.  Most of the time it doesn't even hurt.  Sometimes it does.  Once I hit a blood vessel and got a gusher.  That was cool.  (For the kids, who were watching, anyway.  For months afterwards, they asked excitedly, "Did you hit a blood vessel?"  :D  They were young at the time.  It only happened once, FWIW.)

I've done natural childbirth and have no fear of pain.  I am not needle phobic, nor do medical procedures bother me.  There is just something unnatural about sticking yourself with a needle. 

Sympathy here. I don't have to do this but for some reason in middle age I got all freaked out about Medical Procedures. I think I'm going for general anesthesia with the next cavity filling.

BUT I have also found that if I HAVE to do something, I'll find a way. And I've had to do some pretty hard somethings. You do too and you'll find your way through.

If you need a little cheer before you shoot upc you just open this post.

YOU CAN DO IT!! You're the best shot giver that ever lived!!! Go girl!!!!

I'm currently on Enbrel and have been on Humira in the past (chronic severe psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis)

ROOM TEMP rules!  When cold these hurt!

I inject into my tummy near belly button (I have plenty of padding there!). 

I like the pre-filled syringes MUCH better than the pens-- the pens do hurt quite a bit more-- sure you are not staring at a needle when it goes in--but the pain factor cancels out any benefit for me!

The first month or so I was on injectables it was HARD to get my mind prepared-- now it is no big deal-- and I have great results/I'm feeling so much better!

These meds are EXPENSIVE-- make sure to contact the manufacturer to see what copay assistance programs they have available.

My last refill (new year) was $3500 due to my insurance deductable-- Enbrel picked up the tab for that and will help with the next one too (then my insurance deductable will be met).